Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying Diablo 3 or Playing a Clone Instead?

adiktusadiktus Member Posts: 128

After years of waiting, the newest sequel of the Diablo game has finally been released. Are you one of those who pre-ordered or bought the game on the first day? Did you like it? Were you disappointed? Are you one of those who are not interested or not willing to buy it?

For me, I'm not sure yet if I'm going to buy. I'll probably wait for more reviews. As of now, I will play its clones first. Right now I'm playing Mythos Global and for a free-to-play game, it's a decent Diablo clone.

How about you guys? What are you planning to do?

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Buying Torchlight 2.

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Buying Torchlight 2.

Same. Got my beta key last night, and I'm frakin' impressed. 

That's not to say that I think D3 is a BAD game, because it's surely not, I just personally feel that (having spent at least 5 hours in both betas) TL2 is the better game. Considering TL2 is $20, and Path of Exile is free to play, I can't see myself paying $60 for D3. 

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Wouldn't Diablo 3 be the clone since the original devs made Torchlight II and not Diablo 3? :P

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

You're missing a bought D3 and liking it option...

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Pre-ordered the CE on October 24th 2011. It's currently in route to me and I couldn't be happier (unless of course I had sprung for 2 day shipping).

I've played and enjoyed Torchlight, but after the mines, I can't bring myself to go through the crypt. It's just too, I don't know......3 quests every level, clear everything, move on, no reason for doing so.........

I will play Torchlight 2 becuase it looks cool. I've played a ton of Diablo clones in the past; I like the genre.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

I didn't think I was going to buy Diablo 3 after getting into a fight with Blizzard over a hacked WoW account years ago.  I vowed never to buy a game from them again.  But as the game released I just felt compelled to buy it, and I got to say I am pretty darn impressed.  Other than the crappy server outages (every night so far), this game is very impressive in my opinion.

I'll probably pick up Torchlight 2 as well if it comes out on Xbox again (I enjoyed Torchlight 1 on Xbox) but I have to say Diablo 3 is definately better than Torchlight 1 by far.  Haven't seen much on Torchlight 2 yet so can't compare to that.

Blizzard sure is the company you gotta hate but they keep on delivering.  The bastards...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Zolgar
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Buying Torchlight 2.

Same. Got my beta key last night, and I'm frakin' impressed. 

That's not to say that I think D3 is a BAD game, because it's surely not, I just personally feel that (having spent at least 5 hours in both betas) TL2 is the better game. Considering TL2 is $20, and Path of Exile is free to play, I can't see myself paying $60 for D3. 

Oh no, I don't think D3 will be a bad game, but I don't want to pay $60 for something, if anything like D2 and TL1, that I will only be enthralled with a few weeks at most and never touch again.  The price is my deciding factor in this case, and TL2 comes brand new at 20 bucks (I think it was 20).  I'll probably buy D3 when it's on sale later this year.

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

Playing D3,

but actually TL2 is not a clone of D3,

D3 is a hack and slash game, TL2 is the sequel to D2.

• feroshusferoshus Member UncommonPosts: 164

I might have played one of these weak replicas like a year ago, but their timing is just awful. I'll be occupied with D3 for awhile I'm sure, and when I'm finally tired of it, most of these crappy alternatives will be a distant memory...

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Why the overlapping poll choices?  I won't be buying D3. Probably will be buying TL2, and plan to try PoE at some point.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• MigPosadaMigPosada Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Butregenyo

Playing D3,

but actually TL2 is not a clone of D3,

D3 is a hack and slash game, TL2 is the sequel to D2.

Because Diablo 3 looks a lot like WoW, but Torchlight is absolutely not cartoonish? XD

Man, I can like Torchlight, I can like either Diablo, but I don't make up stuff like that.

Yes, some developers from previous games are in Torchlight team, but that happens all the time in game development companies, especially with a team from 10+ years ago.

Matt Uelmen's soundtrack is awesome, but that doesn't make TL a sequel to D2.

Actually, I think his music is too awesome for what otherwise is a very light-hearted game in tone and presentation.

• MerdurMerdur Member UncommonPosts: 27

Gotta love how everyone says everything's a "clone" of blizzard games when in truth blizzard games are a clone of everything else. Blizzard hasn't had an innovative thought since blizzard north left. D3 is a clone of all previous and existing H&S games on the market, nothing they did with this was new and innovative not even the RLAH is new or innovative they already do this in china and korea in most of there mmo's.

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

Bought D3.  The purchase price is always worth it for any decent game these days.  No troll.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by jusomdude

You're missing a bought D3 and liking it option...

^

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

If you like Diablo clones you would probably play all of them ;)

But why settle for second best ?

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Perhaps because the "original" does not live up to the expectations, while the "clones" do, plus provide even more features and a better price to entice people away from the "original".

• adiktusadiktus Member Posts: 128
    Originally posted by Xasapis
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Perhaps because the "original" does not live up to the expectations, while the "clones" do, plus provide even more features and a better price to entice people away from the "original".

Yup. That's true. And I like F2P games. I'm still thinking whether or not to buy D3 because it's quite expensive. I'll probably buy it once it's on sale. I'll stay with Mythos as of now.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

You missed the play none as top down rpgs suck ass option.

• demongoatdemongoat Member UncommonPosts: 68

ha! i've been playing what diablo copied, nethack.

why play something so limited? play nethack and you get real rpg style game play! 

nethack is hard, d3 is for pansies, it is more hardcore than the hardcore setting!

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

If you've played one Diablo game you've played them all.  Big yawn.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Bought it, loving it. I'll play PoE at some point. Torchlight 2 beta just didn't have the fun factor for me, didn't enjoy the action at all, so I won't be buying that one.
  • FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Still playing Gauntlet.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Bought and playing D3.  I'll eventually play TL2.  I doubt I'll return to POE after trying it in the stress test weekend.  I will try demos of Grim Dawn and Lineage Eternal when they are available.

• ShTogoodShTogood Member Posts: 46

For me right now i think the price of the game is too hight when you look at other games that are coming out of the same type seem to be cheeper at the moment.

But as i wil niot buy the game at the moment does not mean i will not buy it at a later date.

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128

I bought D3. Atm im in Act 3 and im having alot of fun. I think the game is great but not perfect. There are several things that i miss, like talent trees etc. I don't like the way you build your class (runes), i would prefer the good old talent tree.

On the other hand, are the boss fights just awesome. 

So if you ask me, the game is worth its money and i don't think we will see other hackNslash games that can match D3. Yes TL will be good but not as great as D3.