Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do yourselves a favor and let the game sink on its own faults

2»

Comments

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Qallidexz - please email MikeB at [email protected] if you want to give feedback or get feedback on moderation decisions, including if you want to appeal an infraction. But please don't derail other threads with this matter.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12
    Originally posted by miagisan

how about you not tell me how to spend my money :P

Can you specifically point out anytime in my post where I told you how to spend your money?

Originally posted by Qallidexz

I'm truly curious how this thread

is allowed to stay open. The baiting and negativity in this thread is astounding, and yet it's allowed to stay open. The one-sidedness in the censorship on this forum is disgusting.

Also in reply to you, my thread is not baiting or tryingto be one sided. In fact its the exact opposite, because im saying the people bashing the game (myself included) need to let go of the fact the game is being made the way it is, because guess what? Its just going to bring more people in to defend the game because its being made for the masses aka (The majority) which you are in. You cant deny your not personally in the majority because you obviously enjoy linear themepark games which is exactly what ESO is. And yes I can make this judgement off of what has been presented (A decent sized GI article) because literally 90% of what was listed is from Linear Themepark games like Tor, WoW, etc, I mean it has a 100% solo story that is the MAIN QUEST and voice acting...and what does that sound like???

The Old Republic Online, which is a linear themepark game made for the masses. The only thing the game has going for it is three-faction PVP, but guess what? That wont go over well because any fans of the elder scrolls series (The non linear, freeroaming games that the series is based around) know that there are no lore restrictions for who can fight with who, and this is just another attempt to make the game (Again for the third time) appeal to the majority.

I'm definitely in agreement when you say people need to let go of the game not being made the way they want it. I think that's a good point. And I cracked up when you said I was in the majority. Lately the majority has been against the game. Also, I'm curious if you've ever played a first generation MMO, like DAoC or EQ, etc?

For the people who've only played WoW, and it's subsequent clones, I can see where they might get confused, and think that any MMO is themeparkish, but the truth is that you CAN have a great MMO, that's meaningful to all the players involved, and creates a fun and immersive atmosphere. I don't understand why people are calling this game another "Theme Park". Can you define what you mean by Theme Park? To me, a Theme Park would be like a WoW game, with no meaningful open-world PvP, and all these little "side-attraction" instanced battleground type games like capture the flag, holding control points, etc. And it's clear that ESO is moving in the OPPOSITE direction of that. So, do tell me what you mean by Theme Park, I don't know what's theme parkish about this game, other than the fact that it doesn't follow the standard format of the SPRPG's.

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

Personally, I am excited to see this game fail.  Does that sound odd to hear?  It makes sense, because since this game will use tired conventions instead of innovation, and because it has the ES name attached, the failure of said game will definitely allow for more developers to see that the MMO community is growing in the number of people who hate what is happening to games, and that they are to be taken seriously.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I'm also a big TES fan and in the disliker boat. Our negative feedback has value though. I hope they take heed. (Along with looking long and hard at Swtor's current rapid demise as it is a very similar example of cherrished IP mmorpgification).

We really don't need a standard themepark with a TES skin. It's actually a huge kick in the face of the IP's fan base which they are trying to build on and not smart from a business perspective. But I guess things looked differently for them when they started on this project a few years ago.

I hope they will rethink at least part of the core of their project and take it back to the drawing board for a while. Maybe attract a few open world / sandbox experts and come up with some real innovation to incorporate the IP's main strengths (open world, open ended gameplay, no classes, interaction with the world, deep roleplaying options (like housing), the ability to work for whichever faction you managed to not piss off, etc.

p.s. I never saw the main storylines as one of the IP's strongest points so I hope they won't put too much effort in a linear personal story. Of the thousands of hours I played TES games I only finished MW's main story once or twice. The cool thing about TES games is actually feeling like a PART of the world, not the heroic pinacle around which it revolves.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Honestly, us hardcore ES fans (or at least us) are just sour that game has lost everything we liked about ES combat. 

If this game is P2P, I will be voting with my wallet. If it's F2P, I'll give it a fair shot.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by iceman00

I think badspock said something I agree with, the gist of which was....  out of simply justice, this game needs to be attacked hard and relentlessely. 

Either Zenimax will get a clue and make some changes, or this will have so much negative heat surrounding it that it folds quickly.

Just like any upcoming sandbox needs to be attacked hard.  image

Listen to yourself. If ya dont like it, then simply dont play it. I dont understand the mentality of parking in a games forum, and carrying on like a juvenile.

It doesnt make me a world of difference, as I wont be playing. That said, the hating on certain games around here is flat out pathetic. Like the OP said....let it sink or swim on its own accord.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• RophezRophez Member Posts: 46

You see, what's happened is that it has become "cool" to be all jaded and negative about big releases now.  These guys were super excited about games like Vanguard, WAR, and SWTOR and they got their feelings crushed so now they just say things like TESO are going to suck.

Not me - I have the guts to say I'm hopeful and think the game is going to be awesome.  Sorry, JiveTurkey.

• Originally posted by Rophez

You see, what's happened is that it has become "cool" to be all jaded and negative about big releases now.  These guys were super excited about games like Vanguard, WAR, and SWTOR and they got their feelings crushed so now they just say things like TESO are going to suck.

Not me - I have the guts to say I'm hopeful and think the game is going to be awesome.  Sorry, JiveTurkey.

No, it's pretty much Douche baggery that fuels most of the ESO haters, They gripe about stupid crap that honestly had zero to do with why ES was even successful, they're not actual ES fans, they're the 12 year olds who just played their first Skyrim game and now they're wanting to bitch at the "man" because a MMO has quickbars (just like every ES game so far) or doesn't have the ability to aim your bow (not exactly what made ES the game it is)

My personal favorite bitching of it though, extends to the whole 3rd person vs 1st person crap they're laying down. Even though pretty much every MMO since EQ has had 1st person available...They're just assuming it won't be available in this game.

i mean bloody hell, SWTOR has 1st person mode available.

• LydarSynnLydarSynn Member UncommonPosts: 181

I don't know why people bother attacking a game especially before it is released. I highly doubt I will play ESO. Like many here, I am tired of the same old MMOs. However, this game will go forward. The capital has been committed and is being spent. They are not going to make changes that push back the release date of the game. They could get into legal trouble with their investors or at the very least have trouble in the future securing money.

The free markey is very unforgiving. Surprisingly, gaming may be one of the last fair and free markets in America. The government has very little interest in regulating it. The free market punsihes those who are wrong. If Zenimax is wrong about their project, they will lose money- simple as that.

If players really wanted to change the MMO market, they would simply stop buying the WoW clones. ESO is no different. If you believe they are wrong about the game, punish them by not buying it. If enough people share your opinion, the game will get what it deserves.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Sora2810

Honestly, us hardcore ES fans (or at least us) are just sour that game has lost everything we liked about ES combat. 

If this game is P2P, I will be voting with my wallet. If it's F2P, I'll give it a fair shot.

Everything you loved about ES combat?  Pray tell, what was that?

• spadge3k00spadge3k00 Member Posts: 56

No new information is going to come about within the next year to make the Hardcore ES fans in this group like the game or even find an intrest in it; other than the bad press it will obviously recieve...

i think u need to do your research mate there showing gameply footage at e3 in like a few days ?! its all over gametrailers page

• GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493

Unlike all the other failed IP WoW clone MMOs, this one will feature 3 faction pvp. Just that reason alone makes me want to play it.

If it has good open RvR like DAOC did then it should be fun. If it takes the WoW clone rout and does the same repetative instance pvp scenarios then it will become a gear grinder/lame game. Notice how in DAOC once you hit 50 there were no more battlegrounds? Thats what needs to happen again. This makes it all about open world RvR. Open world RVR has sandbox elements that allows each person to come up with thier own pvp objectives like in, guarding docks, attacking objective A or B etc.

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

What we know so far created enough red flags to be skeptical. But, I say let's wait and see and don't condemn it before we try it, or at least see some detailled quality videos.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

This entire thread is a troll.  I love the ES franchise just as much as anyone else, and Im not hating on this MMO at all, and I'm actually rather pleased with what its bringing to the table so far.  Go play the amazing single player games they've made for us and stop hating ESO for bringing the elder scrolls name into the themepark MMO genre.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152

Just 3 things.

1). Is a MMO and not a SPRPG.

2). It will be 3 faction PVP MMO and not a 100% SP PVE world and gameplay experience. 

3). Is a MMO. 

If you are a Harcore ES fans, TSO wont be your game. 

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Rekindle

have an opinion but well said.

The lust for the almighty dollar is an ironic but direct reason for the demise of truly innovative and creative games.  WoW stamped out the Rosetta stone for everyone with a license I doubt we will see anything different now.

Sites like this don't really inspire true debate (locking threads for using the term WoW clone, santizing true free speech) even if they seem to on the surface. 

There are vastly more consumers out there that would eat up every last wow clone than there are disgruntled gamers who are looking for virtual worlds.

Maybe our hope is rests with Grand Fantasia or World of Warplanes or perhaps Drakensang Online.  This industry and has become a farce in my mind.

It's merely in a slump the industry itself is not that old, provided there is capitalism and a reason, and a fair means, to gain profit then we will see new innovative MMORPG models spring up. I suspect this year may be a small nudge and next year may bring some great new games.

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

I am officially rooting for this game now. The unreasonable hatred is off the charts because they're not making skyrim online, which they never said was even close to their goal. 

I hate to tell you this, a three faction pvp game if implemented correctly could do very well. I hope it does.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

....or pull it out of the water and show some support for an mmo with 3 faction pvp and a type of "good"  vanilla wow without / less rails to guide you

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by KingGator

I am officially rooting for this game now. The unreasonable hatred is off the charts because they're not making skyrim online, which they never said was even close to their goal. 

I hate to tell you this, a three faction pvp game if implemented correctly could do very well. I hope it does.

Besides the Race=Faction lock, the problem I have with the 3way faction system is that I have a strong feeling (Matt Firor)  it will play much like DAOC RvRvR.

By that I mean out of the whole of Tamriel (Camelot) 1 side cannot  EVER go and explore the other 2 sides and vice versa (unless you reroll the other factions), thus always cutting off 1/2 the game. Thats not really Open World.

Also the other 1/4 of the game is a contested zone. If 1 side is over-powering in numbers **/cough Albion** the other 2 on that server will be SOL or the other 2 can over-power the 1. Either way it leaves1/4 of the game inaccesable.

So basically, you buy a whole game, but can only access 1/4 of it (with that character) with the possibility of accessing another 1/4 provided the player numbers on your side are favorable.

Again, not actually an Open World.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

To be honest, I dislike this game as much as any hardcore ES fan does, but to put it simply, let it go now and save everyone a big hassle.

Or we could do and say whatever we want no matter how much you dont like it because we are free to do so...and, because it will increase the chance that fewer people willl buy it, the game will fail, the corporate hacks that forced them to leech off of the TES name will lose money and thus lower the odds that another corporate will bastardize a beloved series for the sake of money and MAYBE allow developers to CREATE SOMETHING NEW AND DIFFERENT.

So yeah...I refuse to sit back and be silent until a game is release and then cry like a baby that the genre is getting stale.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Besides the Race=Faction lock, the problem I have with the 3way faction system is that I have a strong feeling (Matt Firor)  it will play much like DAOC RvRvR.

By that I mean out of the whole of Tamriel (Camelot) 1 side cannot  EVER go and explore the other 2 sides and vice versa (unless you reroll the other factions), thus always cutting off 1/2 the game. Thats not really Open World.

Also the other 1/4 of the game is a contested zone. If 1 side is over-powering in numbers **/cough Albion** the other 2 on that server will be SOL or the other 2 can over-power the 1. Either way it leaves1/4 of the game inaccesable.

So basically, you buy a whole game, but can only access 1/4 of it (with that character) with the possibility of accessing another 1/4 provided the player numbers on your side are favorable.

Your assuming alot, if it is like that you could always roll another faction and check out that side of the game. So in turn your getting 3 whole different storylines and worlds for each faction soyour getting 3 games in one, am I wrong?

Pewpew

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

so your claiming something that you have no idea on how its gonna fold out? ...gotcha..he / they have not said anything remotely close to this..its your point of view

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by jtcgs

To be honest, I dislike this game as much as any hardcore ES fan does, but to put it simply, let it go now and save everyone a big hassle.

Or we could do and say whatever we want no matter how much you dont like it because we are free to do so...and, because it will increase the chance that fewer people willl buy it, the game will fail, the corporate hacks that forced them to leech off of the TES name will lose money and thus lower the odds that another corporate will bastardize a beloved series for the sake of money and MAYBE allow developers to CREATE SOMETHING NEW AND DIFFERENT.

So yeah...I refuse to sit back and be silent until a game is release and then cry like a baby that the genre is getting stale.

You could always try meditation or get a hobby