Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Human Weaklings

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Even though it sounds rather strange to hear, Humans in Guild Wars 2 are...annoying. Find out why we think so in our latest Guild Wars 2 column and then let us know what you think of Humans in the comments.

The world is ruled by dragons. The humans’ enemies continue to knock on the doors of their weakening fortress every day. We see other races prepping for war, and trying to become stronger. But what do I see when running around Divinity’s Reach? I see a circus style festival. The Charr are making massive war machines, and the Humans are pitching up circus tents. Good job Humans, good job. Even the Norn, a race that cares only to either live through an epic battle to tell the tale, or to die in an epic battle and have songs sung of them, feel more prepared for war then the Humans.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Human Weaklings.

Sure I’ll help you out! The Charr don’t need my help driving back the Ghosts of Ascalon or anything.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211

First oh yeah!

On a more serious note, I love the idea that humans are weak and not some strong arogaunt race like in most games

• rattleheadrattlehead Member Posts: 1

Well I hate human looks. As you said they act unaware of the threat, also they "look" like it too. They are supermodels (well some males are down syndromed) who are out there just to show prestty outfit.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Good points.  I think the humans had much more of an impact in WoW for example, they were warriors who were just trying to hold on, GW2's common human seems oblivious.  Good thing I'm not playing GW2 for the story.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Its called civilization.

If all humans suddenly became warlike it would mean losing our humanity...even in the dark ages in Europe with constant war between nations for 100s of years there were still farmers as well as weak nobles that only cared about food and wine.

Or how about today in America...at war in 2 nations, bases in over 150 nations...talk from some people of wanting to bomb Iran, North Korea, Syria...army spread thin and have done too many tours...yet most of us just carrying on with our lives as if nothing is going on.

So its very realistic.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

don't see much diference,  most races are human looking and just have base still who differ.

but in most games i'm always rolling human, wanting or not humans being pathetics little annoying crybabys is normal, and since I prefer always to take arm and fight then hide or run, a human who work diferently from the masses, yeah that looks like me alright :)

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

I rolled a human warrior yesterday due to getting locked out of wvw by crashing. To be honest I was using a mace and shield and was able to solo mobs 4 to 5 levels above me lvl 9s and 10s at level 5. I was actually playing with skill dodging and rolling and using stuns to awesome effect and most fights were close. I made it to Beetleun at level 5 so overall the humans might be weak but that just allows the heroes to be and feel that much more important and epic.

People saying melee needs adjustment for pve just need to grasp the combat mechanics and learn to play properly.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

I dont know about the rest of you, but this human killed about 1000 enemies yesterday. Defended some keep from centaurs, took back a couple waypoints, and helped out various farmers. Im doing my part for human kind.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Originally posted by mCalvert

I dont know about the rest of you, but this human killed about 1000 enemies yesterday. Defended some keep from centaurs, took back a couple waypoints, and helped out various farmers. Im doing my part for human kind.

This human, and many others, were jumping off the diving board near divinity's reach.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

best looking humans in an mmo.

best looking classes in any mmo.

coming from a 'good looking' guy.

<.<

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

I totally agree with the OP. Humans are boring. At least for me. They are the jack of all trades, king of mediocrity, masters of nothing. They don't excel at anything. Except that they are more intelligent than others. But that is only true for real world. In Tyria this is not the case.

Who wants to play such a race if he can be a Charr, Sylvari, Norn or Asura ? Not me. ;)

• TheConkinTheConkin Member Posts: 12

Lay off maaannn, those NPC's just wana live a pleasant, free-lovin' life... grow a few pixel plants... raise a few mindless children. 

If you wana see some centaur-cracking action from humans.. then go roll a centaur-cracking human, but your guna see some messed up shit. 

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170

Originally posted by Anthur

I totally agree with the OP. Humans are boring. At least for me. They are the jack of all trades, king of mediocrity, masters of nothing. They don't excel at anything. Except that they are more intelligent than others. But that is only true for real world. In Tyria this is not the case.

Who wants to play such a race if he can be a Charr, Sylvari, Norn or Asura ? Not me. ;)

Actually, the Asura are smarter. A lot. 

On topic : I'm human and find this offensive.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

LOL at the irony. In the real world right now there is war's raging in several different countries, rebellions, people dieing of starvation, famine, disease, yet were all sitting comfortably on MMORPG.com talking about how the humans in GW2 are overly apathetic towards their war-torn world...

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

What an interesting article. It seems more introspective and even a bit philosophical for MMORPG. I'm not much of a fan of humans myself, in real life, but for me that's part of the draw of playing a human in a video game, especially one like Guild Wars 2.

Human beings are lemmings, few if any ever step far from the crowd no matter how much its needed for society to succeed; they'd be incapable of the things I actually am capable of in GW2. Playing a human, for me, is like creating what I wish we were in a digital medium. You see the raising of a carnival amidt chaos as the instinct to bury one's head in the sand, I see it as an acknowledgement of war and the desire that we NEVER let it take something from us, even if it's something as small as painted-faced children and cotton candy.

That's why I play a human, and I can see how it's a matter of perspective. I will still be playing the other races, though. I dabbled in the beta and enjoyed their storylines, and am very much looking forward to seeing what lies beyond 20 in the storyline, and what the Asura/Sylvari still have to offer. I'm hoping the Sylvari's antithetical "Dark Court" play as symbolic a role as the Dark/Light Sidhe, and as complex as Caithe and her lover from the books (still waiting for the media shit storm on that one). The asura are...well, adorable. That's really all I care about ;3

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• polkijaa12polkijaa12 Member UncommonPosts: 1

I actually disagree quite hard with your point, first of all humans in the game are quite aware of the war and the situation they are in, for example listen to random chats between npc's at Lions Arch and you will hear people arguing about what humans should do. Also if you have played the first Guild Wars you would know 250 years back humans pretty much the rulers of tyria but now the tables have turned. Also when it comes to quests in the human zones only the starting area has a "little" childish quests otherwise the story of the human race is actually quite interesting and deep. This is the first time humans of Tyria have been forced in to this situation, they have always been strong compared to other races but now they have lost all they had conquered, Chars have taken back theyre homelands and the dragons have destroyed the rest of human areas.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

just one more comment to agree xD

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

During my recent experiences in both the beta event and the stress test I saw human physical and magical combatants outnumber common citizenry by an order of magnitude. I am not particularly worried about:

Char: A race that believes that preparation for war against opponents who are on the opposite side of a mountain chain should entail assembling their large scale war machines before reaching their destination. Seriously they act like a bunch of monkeys that learned the assembly of big weapons by watching sentient species, without learning to use them.

Norn: Seriously, you could win a war against this entire race by telling them that the other Norn are all dragons in disguise and that the greatest glory will go to whomever kills the most.

Asura: Send each a letter warning them that Asura X says he is a hack. Stand back and watch the splosions.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Ashen_X

During my recent experiences in both the beta event and the stress test I saw human physical and magical combatants outnumber common citizenry by an order of magnitude. I am not particularly worried about:

Char: A race that believes that preparation for war against opponents who are on the opposite side of a mountain chain should entail assembling their large scale war machines before reaching their destination. Seriously they act like a bunch of monkeys that learned the assembly of big weapons by watching sentient species, without learning to use them.

Norn: Seriously, you could win a war against this entire race by telling them that the other Norn are all dragons in disguise and that the greatest glory will go to whomever kills the most.

Asura: Send each a letter warning them that Asura X says he is a hack. Stand back and watch the splosions.

I lol'ed.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

While I can see most of the points posted, yes the humans are strong, they can fight with the rest of them. 

BUT!.... WTH hell is with all of the "pretty" garbage. I built a human Necromancer yesterday and for the life of me I could not make him look ugly, or evil, or even mean, not even a snear?  Come on, I play with dead things, and summon other worldly stuff to do my fighting for me. 

And the cut scenes, with no conversation options? I can't even be mean, I had to have been the nicest necromancer in the world during yesterdays battles, I might as well have said Please and thank you, and asked monster to fairly duel. It was obnoxious, and I hope will be fixed!

Not so nice guy!

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by lordtwisted

And the cut scenes, with no conversation options? I can't even be mean, I had to have been the nicest necromancer in the world during yesterdays battles, I might as well have said Please and thank you, and asked monster to fairly duel. It was obnoxious, and I hope will be fixed!

I have to agree. I love GW2 for what it is, but somehow they should of implemented a personality, (goody two shoe,prankster, arogant, flat out mean) in the character creation. It would of added more depth to your character. But thats just a little thing. All and all ArenaNet has done a great job.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

I found the human starting area and story to be really quite boring. There is none of the atmosphere and lore with the human story that you get with the charr and the norn. I played the Charr story to level 8 twice and loved it both times, and the same with the Norn, but the humans just dont capture my imagination at all.

I though it was just the classes that I was choosing to play as a human....so on the most recent beta stress test yesterday, I played a human ranger(my favorite class) and was still bored.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

LOL at the irony. In the real world right now there is war's raging in several different countries, rebellions, people dieing of starvation, famine, disease, yet were all sitting comfortably on MMORPG.com talking about how the humans in GW2 are overly apathetic towards their war-torn world...

Oh the irony!

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I actually don't like races centered only around one thing. It gets boring fast. So I'm happy if humans are more diverse. Generally I think it's a weakness of many fantasy works. creating races centered only around 1 ide. like this race is a race of warriors. Everyone have to fight and be bad ass. Diversity makes the world more believable.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Originally posted by Falcomith

I have to agree. I love GW2 for what it is, but somehow they should of implemented a personality, (goody two shoe,prankster, arogant, flat out mean) in the character creation. It would of added more depth to your character. But thats just a little thing. All and all ArenaNet has done a great job.

The cutscenes themselves have no conversation options (something the developers recognize but can't do anything about without a HUGE change).

However, you can talk to NPCs out of cutscenes quite a bit, and you DO have choices there. (ferocity, charm, dignity). Choosing those increases your "level" in those options, which makes NPCs react differently to you. Problem is you have to go running around talking to anyone you can think of, and there's not as many of these around as I could like.

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

Originally posted by terrant

Originally posted by Falcomith

The cutscenes themselves have no conversation options (something the developers recognize but can't do anything about without a HUGE change).

However, you can talk to NPCs out of cutscenes quite a bit, and you DO have choices there. (ferocity, charm, dignity). Choosing those increases your "level" in those options, which makes NPCs react differently to you. Problem is you have to go running around talking to anyone you can think of, and there's not as many of these around as I could like.

Thanks for that tidbit, that will make me feel a bit better about it. 

Not so nice guy!