Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: The Best and Worst of TSW

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I would have to place the bad stuff list on my list of bad stuff...seriously, so many things wrong with this game and those are what is being listed?

I guess I should have expected that after reading the opening...Funcom is also known for not taking those settings and USING THEM properly...its even stated on this very site with their discriptions of why Anarchy Online and Age of Conan are in their top 5 WORST MMO launches in history!

Talk about opposing stories...how can Funcom be class A- with taking those settings if they are making them the 2 worst launches in history?

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by QSatu

I like dthe quests but the interesting ones are only like 30-40% of all of them. the rest started to feel tedious very fast.

One of the biggest problem for me was the world. It felt completely lifeless. NPC's standing still all the time, no chatter between them. London would feel as a ghost town if there weren't some players. Kingsmouth was only better b/c there were mobs to kill but still. I hope they didn't show us all.

Like in almost every mmo....

All others that DO have the NPCs move about are just as lifeless. They DO NOTHING but move around fromhere to there.

Give me an example of a game wher the NPCs walked around for a purpose. Or did anything for a purpose!!

It's the nice new shiney argument around here though. But no one can give an example where an MMO has "lifelike NPCS".

I would love it too...but TOP BASHING other games for not doing so.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by Kinchyle

I like dthe quests but the interesting ones are only like 30-40% of all of them. the rest started to feel tedious very fast.

One of the biggest problem for me was the world. It felt completely lifeless. NPC's standing still all the time, no chatter between them. London would feel as a ghost town if there weren't some players. Kingsmouth was only better b/c there were mobs to kill but still. I hope they didn't show us all.

All others that DO have the NPCs move about are just as lifeless. They DO NOTHING but move around fromhere to there.

Give me an example of a game wher the NPCs walked around for a purpose. Or did anything for a purpose!!

It's the nice new shiney argument around here though. But no one can give an example where an MMO has "lifelike NPCS".

They don't have to ahve a purpose. the presentation is everything. Walking, talking, sounds, amient noices. Everything counts. After GW2 the world in tSW was dead.

btw. Want something else? try WoW. They use phasing to change the world at least a little bit to give it life. I really wish tSW used it too to see at least any change.

• LordEbolaLordEbola Member UncommonPosts: 51

yet another story that ignores the in game crafting system.

They don't have to ahve a purpose. the presentation is everything. Walking, talking, sounds, amient noices. Everything counts. After GW2 the world in tSW was dead.

Really? Seriously?

No thanks...after the first two days of randomly walkinn NPCs...it's the same as standing stil. If they have no purpose....

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

One of the things I liked of GW2 was that the cites (or at least the two I visited) really felt like cities, people were walking around, children running and playing and the ones that were stuck in place were either vendors standing next to a stall or people talking and gesticulating. I remember getting a simmilar feeling in the cities in WoW, even if it was just a few NPCs walking around without purpose really added a feeling of it being a living city. Granted, most MMOs I've played do follow the "people standing around static" formula for cities and outposts.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Really? Seriously?

No thanks...after the first two days of randomly walkinn NPCs...it's the same as standing stil. If they have no purpose....

So instead you want everyone to be glued to the floor. To each their own I guess.

Really? Seriously?

So instead you want everyone to be glued to the floor. To each their own I guess.

It's not a huge factor to me. When they walk around doing fake things....it looks...fake

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Having really good NPC AI would add a tremendous amount to a game like this.

I suspect that World of Darkness will benefit from TSW's mistakes.
  • DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I like dthe quests but the interesting ones are only like 30-40% of all of them. the rest started to feel tedious very fast.One of the biggest problem for me was the world. It felt completely lifeless. NPC's standing still all the time, no chatter between them. London would feel as a ghost town if there weren't some players. Kingsmouth was only better b/c there were mobs to kill but still. I hope they didn't show us all. Edit. But I have to say that generally it's not a bad game. I might even play it a little. I'm not sure if it's worth the monthly fee. it depends when GW2 is going to be released and if soon whether I get bored of it fast or not.

Not sure which game you were playing but especially in London, npcs were walking talking all over rthe place. Manyof them had patterns where they would talk to various vendors then walk home.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

Hey ! You missed the 4th point in "the bad" : boredom.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

This sort of game should evoke the menacing feel of games such as FEAR or a really old one called Alone In The Dark.

TOR looks a bit like WoW on rails, which isn't great.

In addition, I think you'd get more immersion if you saw the world from a first-person perspective rather than looking down on your character. The monsters should appear more grusome.

I thought of Alone in the Dark as well when playing this.  I actually played quite often in first person and it worked pretty well when traveling.  It really helped the immersion.

At first I was on the fence as to whether I was going to buy this game at release.  But I decided that I can overlook the combat a bit and that the setting is so good I can't pass it up.  Just little details like the day night cycles and the light coming in windows at a certain angle.  Interesting buildings and rooms to explore.

As someone whom is very sick of quests I actually felt these type of quests were interesting for the most part.  I really like that they would often give you a general area to look for something but the item was in an odd spot or very small.  I kept reminding myself to pay attention rather than going on brain dead MMO quest autopilot.

Really the extreme issue that I can see with this game would be the longetivity.  I can't imagine how you would be able to play this for years.  Story and puzzle games don't seem to lend themselves to years of game time.

• grinrgrinr Member Posts: 8

With mere weeks til release, I have zero hope this game will launch into anything but the recycling bin.  Given another 6 months, it could be great, but that's not going to happen.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by alkarionlog

so, no one will say the inventory is a cumbersome thing? crafting is a pain since you have to shift click, click to make 1 confirm several times to craft things? the can't hot key consumables?

Left click to pick up a stack, right click to drop 1 item from the stack. It's in the game, but not exactly easy to find.

Regarding the consumeables - yeah, they should be hotkeyable.

• bonehedbonehed Member UncommonPosts: 15

I had fun playing during the BETA weekend and it is my understanding that we were playing an older build so a lot of updates and such weren't available. The jumping over cars is kind of ridiculous and needs to be adjusted but overall I had a good time. I was just disappointed that the area we were given to beta was so small. I completed all the quests available and had a ton of AP/SP points to spend in just over 6hrs so I went back to SWTOR because I couldn't do anything else but kill crap. 

Some of the quests are to vague and could use a little help with the description but the thing that bothered me the most was everytime you put points into the damage area of your weapon be it melee/range/magic  it didn't seem to change the damage output. Maybe I just had a crap rotation but that seems to be the only thing that bothered me.

The crafting window blew chunks so hopefully that gets an update soon. A positive though is the character sheet, its very simple and the gear management window is genius. You can have tons of various setups for gear/abilities that are easy to setup and activate.

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Having really good NPC AI would add a tremendous amount to a game like this.

I suspect that World of Darkness will benefit from TSW's mistakes.

Umm...yeah....if that game weren't a piece of crap. Other than that....sure!!

• EnlivenEnliven Member Posts: 9

I'm not sure why jumping over cars or large fences is that big of a deal. I mean come on, your character can teleport and knock zombies that are much larger than vehicles smooth on their ass. I'm pretty sure jumping a car or fence is no problem for a character with those abilities... so much hate

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lol there's no way you finished it in 6 hours, did you just do the quests in the town. It's not a hub game there are quests all over the place, hidden in the woods, hidden down the back streets, over at the skate park and scrap yard, hidden in caves etc..
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    To up your damage you must have two weapeons with finishers on both weapeons, builders usually build for both weapeons at the same time
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

Gear having little impact is an interesting philosophy, but I am worried on the impact it will have on keeping people playing.  Once you have done everything exactly once I am not sure why anyone would keep playing, because you won't be running stuff over and over for gear if gear isn't meaningful.  Seeing as any one character can have every skill I'm not sure alts will be hugely popular. Playing around with builds will only hold interest for so long, once you have found a couple builds you enjoy not much reason to screw around.  While I am looking forward to this game, I don't see much longevity here.  That is unless they will be cranking out new content weekly. 

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

I wont comment on others comments, just the review here. With that said , as a growing fan of TSW (not a fanboy, just a fan).. I like the review.

I like that with the negatives you gave reasons as such and stating that the actual "game" itself is stellar, which it is.  Once they work on animations and character creation ( again, two things they ARE working on and will have soon ).. this game will find a good community, which I can not wait to join.  Thank you for a review that showed both positive and negatives and ways to look at them both that were informative. :)

• pasarmalampasarmalam Member UncommonPosts: 7

if the combat was like AOC im all fort it.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Glad to know the animations will be improved in the future, although we don't know when exactly that will arrive, but still. The other thing I didn't like much in the game is the combat. It becomes spammy. I wish they could have put in some sort of combo and timing so that I'm not just spamming the resource builder attack then launching the other one that consumes all resources built, plus a few situational skills here and there. Looking at the Archetype pictures I yearned for DMC/Darksiders/inFamous combat, but that's shooting through the stars. If combat is gonna be like this I wish they designed something closer to DCUO combat. It was easier to strafe around and hit the mouse buttons for the "spamming" attack, than press the number keys above WASD.

Anyway I don't think combat will change at this point. Glad the animation is on the pipeline. If they can improve combat I see myself subscribing. I really liked the setting.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by TSWSilverfox

REserve your final list's judgement until the later betas. As you said, there are animation place holders and limited character creater at this time.

One month left to release. It's fair to start judging now. After both AO and AoC, it's a fact of record Funcom cannot produce "miracle patches" in multiple months, much less under one.

Just out of curiousity, what planet are you on, and what's the date there?

• johnnyblancojohnnyblanco Member Posts: 11

This game is not ready for release and I will tell you why.

It is completely broken an unplayable. I don't want to hear the excuses that this is a closed beta. This can't be a closed beta because this has a month before it's released into store.  There are missions where you are given information that you need to click on and if you don't memorize it when it's given to you.. you lose it forever.

The missions are skewed there are times for the main mission in kingsmouth is so broken it's not even funny. Some missions have markers and some don't even give you a clue where to go. It's a good idea but it is excuted rather poorly.