Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A suggestion to gain credibility

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by Valkaern

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by Valkaern

Overall, GW2 has had a pretty easy time compared to most new MMOs which (here on these forums especially) are hounded relentlessly by people that may have hitched their wagons to a different star. It's obvious many people weren't expecting to be as impressed with it as they were, myself included.

The fact that so many concerns about GW2 seem to be founded in misinformation and a misunderstanding of the systems rather than actual problems is a good indicator as well. While with another recently released MMO and a soon to be released one, the criticisms are all very specific to their respective game and peoples concerns seem to repeatedly echo eachother.

I wouldn't just limit community interaction to these forums either, there are a lot of really good communities out there, and news sites as well. It's pretty clear that overall, a lot of people have a lot of good things to say about it and the game is strong enough to speak for itself and stand on its own, it really doesn't need defending. 

The people that have something interesting to say as to why it's unappealing to them stand out from people who clearly misunderstand the systems they're talking about and the more obvious trolls from a mile away, they're not hurting anyone but themselves. Also, while I'm absolutely hooked on GW2 after playing it, I still enjoy reading other peoples opinions provided they're somewhat intelligent and insightful. 

I just don't see a need for this, I assume by now we can all easily tell the trolls from those with something worthwhile to say.

Honestly I believe you havnt seen much criticism of GW2 on this forum and guru, is because the community of GW2 is far more radically offensive and sensitive to negative talk on about GW2. Over the pass few months, we even saw large threads that defended stuff and made things positives, that would normally be considered negatives on any other MMO that would come out.

Honestly, this community is under a hive mind. We saw this on guru, in which the community never lashed out against the mods, until that major "Anet will have an official GW2 forum" thread came ountin the news section, which even forced a mod to come over to this site to argue. Hivemind made it cool for mods to do what they did, and members would never standup for others being attacked. GW2 community does this a lot. Nobody bothers with the misleading hyping fans. Only those that critisied the product do we ever worry about misinformation.

Just like the fans that claim that GW2 has aim based combat like Tera and MO. Lol. Yeah, that' kind of misinformation is ok, right?

Possibly, but one thing that I'm absolutely sure of is that the most astute and accurate criticisms I have seen were on the official forums rather than here.

Those people at least seem to have their finger on what could actually be issues for some. 

The majority of GW2 negative posts here haven't really hit very close to the bone and more often than not have made it clear that the person taking issue was misinformed on some mechanics (for example, people under the impression that because one could buy gold with gems, they  assumed it would flood the market with gold, not understanding that gold is already in the system from players trading their gold for gems, and that new gold is not generated). Of course when people correct them and point this out, they either deny it, or drop it and look for a new weapon. Either way it becomes a discussion not worth having, no one stands to learn anything.

Not to embarass you, but, you seem to misunderstand the fact that GW2 does allow for using abilities without having to lock on to a target and  that you can in fact point in a certain direction, fire without a target, and hit the first thing in LoS :) If that's not what aim based combat is you'll have to clarify what actually does qualify.

I mean, it's not even debatable, it's there in game for anyone to see and test. 

While I only tried MO for about 10 minutes, I spent the same time in Tera (a bit less in Tera overall) that I did in GW2 so far, and the difference wasn't really in the aiming from what I saw, but more in how clunky and jerky Tera was and how fluid GW2 was.

I think you'll be surprised how much the market is flooded with gold as players (and perhaps outside agents) will increase their time spent generating more gold (as opposed to doing other activities) in order to trade them for gems.

EVE has a similar system and some folks are botting all the time in order to generate ISK in order to trade it for time cards to fund their accounts. Outside agents also sell ISK to players for less than the cost of the market driven PLEX system.

Don't assume that because ANET doesn't create gold out of thin air that you won't see an influx of gold into the economy.

Now back on topic, I don't think GW2 needs to have a "defense league" to save it from unwarranted criticism, MMO's stand or fall on their own merits and I challange anyone to show me a game that failed because of false accusations against it. In almost every case the criticisms were warranted and the failure was well deserved. (if there really was even a failure)

Now I agree, inaccuate information is posted on the forums all the time, sometimes out of ignorance, and sometimes with willful malice because afterall, these forums are for PVP, and not really for information sharing as some suppose. (see official forums for that sort of thing)

If you enjoy refuting the errors and inaccuracies, great, have at it, I enjoy reading the debates, but I don't see the need for any real changes to ensure accuracy of information, it's just not that big of an issue.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by freston

Since last BWE, ive readen lots of reviews by people who claim they took part in it, some positive, some not so much. Among the second, you find some from people who clearly played the game and found it was not their cup of tea (generally people expecting a more sandboxy feel ) and people who , for reasons i cant even begin to understand, havent really touched it but claim they have in an effort to give substance to what it could have been an otherwise valid critic ("im not going to try GW 2 because of...." is valid. Claiming a first hand experience you dont have is not)

I propose a simple suggestion to give credibility to any GW2 review: post the name of your nandle. The one you use to post in the official forums. Ofc there are ways around this, but its better than nothing. As i believe by preaching by example, my forum name is seventh son (i havent put the id number. Lets keep something to ourselves)

What would keep someone else from claiming that they are someone on the official forums ?

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I'm actually Jeff Strain. So he has a point.

• Bushi13Bushi13 Member Posts: 123

Originally posted by colddog04

Ahahah LoL

Diablow 3, it sucks ...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by Bushi13

Ahahah LoL

Nonsense, everyone knows I'm really Jeff Strain, can't you see the resemblence?

OK, not really, I'm just his cousin, twice removed. Seriously!

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

Honestly I believe you havnt seen much criticism of GW2 on this forum and guru, is because the community of GW2 is far more radically offensive and sensitive to negative talk on about GW2. Over the pass few months, we even saw large threads that defended stuff and made things positives, that would normally be considered negatives on any other MMO that would come out.

Honestly, this community is under a hive mind. We saw this on guru, in which the community never lashed out against the mods, until that major "Anet will have an official GW2 forum" thread came ountin the news section, which even forced a mod to come over to this site to argue. Hivemind made it cool for mods to do what they did, and members would never standup for others being attacked. GW2 community does this a lot. Nobody bothers with the misleading hyping fans. Only those that critisied the product do we ever worry about misinformation.

Just like the fans that claim that GW2 has aim based combat like Tera and MO. Lol. Yeah, that' kind of misinformation is ok, right?

I've not been to Guru in a very long time so I will not comment about it, but I have seen plenty of criticism for GW2 on this site. I have also seen plenty of posts countering misleading or hyping posts.

On the other hand I am sure that there is nothing inaccurate, misleading, or anything of the sort about referring to people on these forums as being under the influence of a, "hive mind."

Personally, I find that GW2 has some things that I like, and others that I do not. The only way to see if the positives will outweigh the negatives at this point will be to play the full game. I bought the pre-purchase because ANet has provided me with the most entertainment I have ever derived from a computer game, for a very reasonable price (the Cost of the three GW1 titles + Eye of the North, spread over almost 7 years). I give them the benefit of the doubt because, for me, they have earned it. Of course, as noted before, the pay-off for GW2 remains to be seen.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

Originally posted by Ashen_X

Since last BWE, ive readen lots of reviews by people who claim they took part in it, some positive, some not so much. Among the second, you find some from people who clearly played the game and found it was not their cup of tea (generally people expecting a more sandboxy feel ) and people who , for reasons i cant even begin to understand, havent really touched it but claim they have in an effort to give substance to what it could have been an otherwise valid critic ("im not going to try GW 2 because of...." is valid. Claiming a first hand experience you dont have is not)

I propose a simple suggestion to give credibility to any GW2 review: post the name of your nandle. The one you use to post in the official forums. Ofc there are ways around this, but its better than nothing. As i believe by preaching by example, my forum name is seventh son (i havent put the id number. Lets keep something to ourselves)

What would keep someone else from claiming that they are someone on the official forums ?

very hard to someone guess a username + 4 digits without have acess to official forum . 

mine is possante87 (dont know if exist any problem write my id number so for now i will not say) on official forum. 

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

very hard to someone guess a username + 4 digits without have acess to official forum . 

No, I'm Jeff Strain. My username in game is Strainbabycakes.2190. You can see me in the forums under that name any time you want to check it out.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

No, I'm Jeff Strain. My username in game is Strainbabycakes.2190. You can see me in the forums under that name any time you want to check it out.

ok. Now post in the forum under that handle saying you are colddog and problem solved

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

For security reasons I don't want to provide any link between 2 forum names on different boards. But if I post here about GW2 it's definitely based on my own gameplay and / or other very reliable resources.

I'm a huge fan of the game and its developer but not of the rabid type that spreads lies to make my favourite game look good (it would only backlash at some point anyways) nor bashing other games because they could be seen as the competition.

ok. Now post in the forum under that handle saying you are colddog and problem solved

I can't until they re-open the beta forums. But it's gonna be hilarious.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

I can't until they re-open the beta forums. But it's gonna be hilarious.

Ill try not to pee myself

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by ozmono

It sounds to me as though you are assuming people are lying about playing the game because you disagree strongly with them. Is that a fair call?

Actually, it's quite fair to mention that a good many "reviews" were indeed by people that didn't play. One of my "favorite" negative reviews was a big, long write-up by someone claiming to have played an engineer. The kicker was when they said they were swapping from a rifle to pistol and shield and that didn't really add much. The whole post stunk of a lack of basic game knowledge, and that clinched it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I'm not supposed to read your posts, but sadly quotes don't get blocked, so I've seen this and had to answer to stop the misinformation.

You don't need to target anything in GW2 during combat. Aim a pack of mobs (without targetting), hit an attack, and the attack will hit the mob(s) you are facing towards. Don't believe me? Try it next beta (if you even play the game, which I start to seriously doubt).

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I'm not supposed to read your posts, but sadly quotes don't get blocked, so I've seen this and had to answer to stop the misinformation.

You'll have to admit the verve of him claiming to post against misinformation though.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by heartless

Who cares? What's important is if you like the game or not. The other people and their reviews don't matter.

While it's true, missinformation does matter. It sucks, but it's true.

Some of us know enough to do our own research, and figure out for ourselves whether or not we will like a game, but most people do not. Many people either don't have the time to do the research, or simply don't want to. It doesn't really bother me what other people say, but many good games have been ruined by unfair reviews / missinformation. I'd rather people at least attempt to correct this, then just say 'oh well' and let people slander w/e they feel like. I'd rather the industry (as a whole, not just MMOs) got more interesting games, not less. I don't need a CoD 18.

But actually this goes both ways. How often do fans of a MMO, give the game high reviews that are overhyped? Just look at ......................!

It's okay to correct someone no matter which lie they tell.

Not always. Warhammer forums would get you a infraction or ban for correcting a fanboy during its hype days...

And GW2Guru, was ,,,, well let's not talk about that site...

I think you should be banned, all you do is post negativity all over this site.

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

I think negative reviews are as important as good ones. So far, i've seen very few threads criticizing this game in a coherent manner. Most of the praise seems realistic and based on real gameplay.

But, that matters very little. With minimal research, you can access a wealth of gameplay and  video guides, which do a very good job in exmplaining some basic concepts about hte game.

When you are about to spend money on anything, you should do a little research before. Doing so will quickly show you what's bull and what's reasonable. Credibility comes from previous reputation and numbers. Since the first is tricky in an online environment, go for the second.

Be critical and not overtly naive, problem solved.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

There is a reason most negative posters get shout down, they are stuck on the same issues that have been  discussed Ad nauseam.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

You don't need to target anything in GW2 during combat. Aim a pack of mobs (without targetting), hit an attack, and the attack will hit the mob(s) you are facing towards. Don't believe me? Try it next beta (if you even play the game, which I start to seriously doubt).

You could do the same in AOC and now TSW, but I wouldn't consider either to be "aim based" combat.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

Unless there is nothing good that could possibly come from a game, I demand some objectivity. A few people that got a glance at GW2 that I enjoy watching are Totalbisuit, Jesse Cox, and WoWCrendor. They all gave the objectivity that I was looking for. They kind of hinted about issues that we should keep our eyes on and their negative impressions alongside their good impressions.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Originally posted by Distopia

You could do the same in AOC and now TSW, but I wouldn't consider either to be "aim based" combat.

You can do both, and both work fine. At the end of the last week end, I wasn't targetting anymore unless I really wanted to charge to a specific mob with my warrior.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• DrifytDrifyt Member UncommonPosts: 27

Your assuming that every reviewer posts on the official forums though, I would actually guess that the vast majority of people haven't actually posted on the offical forums, myself included. 

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Everyone has a opinion and it really doesn't matter. GW2 is almost the perfect game the best to come out since EQ in 1999.

Two months ago I didn't think the game would be any better than GW1, which I hated that game.

You won't have better PvP in any MMO!

Only game with better PvE is TSW.

Been over a decade since a real MMO has came out worth playing.

• JesseBFoxJesseBFox Member Posts: 134

Originally posted by Drifyt

Your assuming that every reviewer posts on the official forums though, I would actually guess that the vast majority of people haven't actually posted on the offical forums, myself included. 

Have you prepurchased and been in the BWE then? Just don't have an official forum account name?

• DrifytDrifyt Member UncommonPosts: 27

Originally posted by JesseBFox

Originally posted by Drifyt

Have you prepurchased and been in the BWE then? Just don't have an official forum account name?

No I do have a forum name it's Drifyt.SomeNumber, I just haven't posted in them. Yes I pre-purchased and for the record, i love the game, I'm just concerned its too far from what GW1 was which I really really love :)