Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is the audience for this game?

Comments

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    So because you haven't encountered it he must be lying. The mobs do get stronger further out. Thus forcing you to get more skills first. Can't say anything about padlocket quests, because I didn't venture al over the place.
  • ThemehosptalThemehosptal Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Freemasons....Oops

*snickers* *giggles* guess I am one of the only ones who got this, good one

oh you so clever. he made clever joke u clever u understood u play TSW cause u clever. so clever. no other wow player understand cause they no clever. you many clever.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by bcbully

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by JeroKane

Originally posted by bcbully

Oh hey buddy :) Except for the crafting system and the level/classless progression system oh and the ability wheel. 

Noot really. It's more like go where ever you want 10 minutes after character creation, grab what ever quest you want type of thing.

Hey, pal. So I can just run straight to the airport, the orochi outpost and the scrapyard and get the quests there? Or maybe you missed a lot of the "padlock" icons on the quests? It's understandable.

Leveless progression system does not make this not a themepark neither does crafting.

Try again, please.

Actually you do!

The only linear "themeparkish" part is your faction storyline quest serie. All side quests are scattered all over the place.

This game actually encourages exploring again (just like LOTRO pre-Moria and EverQuest 2) to find tons of hidden quests.

Not like the real Themepark linear garbage like Warhammer Online, Rift and SW:TOR that force you through a "fixed" path of questing.

Most of the quests are padlocked until you fulfill some requirement. Mobs get progressively stronger the farther you get away from the sheriff's office, basically forcing you to do content in a certain order. It may be a little less strict than games like WoW but the usual themepark limitations are still there.

That's simply not true man. There is no two ways about it. I've ran into 1 on top the police station, (15 minutes into the game mind you) That one is padlocked due to story no level or or gear or anything. If I'm not mistaken if you do some of the story, like a couple quest it unlocks. I haven't seen any other, if I have I didn't notice them.

The simple fact that they are locked and stronger mobs further out prevent you from really exploring makes this a themepark game.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Connmacart

So because you haven't encountered it he must be lying. The mobs do get stronger further out. Thus forcing you to get more skills first. Can't say anything about padlocket quests, because I didn't venture al over the place.

Ofcourse they need to have a variarity of mob strengths through the zones. As people do get more skills, are able to increase their HP and combat/heal effectiveness.

Even "true" sandbox games need to have this. Otherwise you end up roflstomping the entire game after aquiring more and better skills, if all mobs are the exact same through the entire game. Seriously!! /Facepalm

Even SWG pre-NGE was considered a sandbox (and it was) had this. There were plenty of planets you could not go to, before you unlocked enough skills, had good gear and/or brought along enough friends... or you would be facerolled big time!

And you know... it's an MMORPG... you do not have to wait to get more skills. You know.... you could always try to be more social and invite other players and tackle those harder mobs/quests as a team.  Just an idea... as being social and teaming up used to be more common in MMO's in the old days.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Themepark with some nice sandbox elements. I think some have even called it a hybrid right?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

They aren't after the average player or the casual types either.

They aren't an ip so that won't be pulling people in.

I guess its the people who like a game that's a bit more complex and can put-up with its faults. I would say its for rp'ers but they don't have housing or other features that would get those people involved. I don't know what the guild system is, but I haven't heard about it so it can't be all that great.

They must be hoping for a small loyal base that expands as they make improvements to the game post-release.

I assume the game will go ftp within 2 years (I've heard 1 year, but I think they will need some updates and maybe an expansion first).

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

I'm 100% sure now that this game is for me, I had my doubts, but after playing, I knew it was made for me ^^

Ofcourse they need to have a variarity of mob strengths through the zones. As people do get more skills, are able to increase their HP and combat/heal effectiveness.

Even "true" sandbox games need to have this. Otherwise you end up roflstomping the entire game, when all mobs are the exact same.

And you know... it's an MMORPG... you do not have to wait to get more skills. You know.... you could always try to be more social and invite other players and tackle those harder mobs/quests as a team.  Just an idea... as being social and teaming up used to be more common in MMO's in the old days.

It basically forces you to quest in a certain direction. I mean, sure, you can run around the town and do all of the little fetch and delivery quests but that's right outside of the quest hub. Everything else is blocked off from you due to mob strength. Even the quests are padlocked due to not finishing some other quest. Certain areas become blocked off once you're done with the quests there. Like the sewers or the museum basement or that place in the tunnel by the hippie camp.

There are restrictions all over the place. Granted, it's a lot less than in other games but they are still there and denying that is being dishonest.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

The simple fact that they are locked and stronger mobs further out prevent you from really exploring makes this a themepark game.

I thought it was simply because the game is entirely quest driven.. but its funny how the people who insist on calling every MMO a sandbox tend to be the same people who admit theyre perfectly happy with themeparks. As if its the label thats the issue, and not all that it entails.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Even "true" sandbox games need to have this. Otherwise you end up roflstomping the entire game, when all mobs are the exact same.

It basically forces you to quest in a certain direction. I mean, sure, you can run around the town and do all of the little fetch and delivery quests but that's right outside of the quest hub. Everything else is blocked off from you due to mob strength. Even the quests are padlocked due to not finishing some other quest. Certain areas become blocked off once you're done with the quests there. Like the sewers or the museum basement or that place in the tunnel by the hippy place.

There are restrictions all over the place. Granted, it's a lot less than in other games but they are still there and denying that is being dishonest.

Even sandbox games have those restrictions, basically due to areas with progressively stronger mobs.  It's UNAVOIDABLE!

Themepark example MMO's in my book are Rift and SW:TOR that "really" do force you in a very specific and strict path of progression! With no option nor any possibilities to deviate!

The Secret World IS different, because if you CAN deviate and explore. Are not forced through a strict layed out funneled path and are able to team up with others, go wherever you want and quest.

Eventho Skyrim has a levelbased progression system, it still is pretty much a sandbox style game, as you can just totally ignore the Main storyline and go explore, pick up quests here and there and level up and play the game any way you want.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

It basically forces you to quest in a certain direction. I mean, sure, you can run around the town and do all of the little fetch and delivery quests but that's right outside of the quest hub. Everything else is blocked off from you due to mob strength. Even the quests are padlocked due to not finishing some other quest. Certain areas become blocked off once you're done with the quests there. Like the sewers or the museum basement or that place in the tunnel by the hippy place.

Even sandbox games have those restrictions, basically due to areas with progressively stronger mobs.  It's UNAVOIDABLE!

Themepark example MMO's in my book are Rift and SW:TOR that "really" do force you in a very specific and strict path of progression! With no option nor any possibilities to deviate!

The Secret World IS different, because if you CAN deviate and explore. Are not forced through a strict layed out funneled path and are able to team up with others, go wherever you want and quest.

Eventho Skyrim has a levelbased progression system, it still is pretty much a sandbox style game, as you can just totally ignore the Main storyline and go explore, pick up quests here and there and level up and play the game any way you want.

in both those games once outside the starter area you could level to max and not do a single quest just PVP so you aren't forced into anything it would be long but in Rift it actually wasn't hard and I leveled 2 characters to max in Rift only doing warfronts and a couple dungeons oh and a random Invasion/Rift here and there but not a single quest past the starter zone.

Also Rift has TONS of options whne it comes to soul builds yes you got min/maxers but you literally could have a differn't playstyle every ten levels through your leveling process. That right there is huge to me since I get boredp laying a single role all the time and its why TSW is interesting to me because of the skill system and being able ot play multiple roles without having to change characters.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I think after all the quests are done and the stories unfold is when the game gets interesting.

I imagine most of us that stick around will be spending endgame min/maxing builds. This encompasses actives/passives, grinding mobs that drop crafting elements needed for specific decks. Then trying them out in the various pvp scenarios.

The city hubs are designed with a lot of character and I can definitely see a lot of potential for roleplay.

By design, the crafting in this game will always be viable and stay current with new content. A full time crafter will have their hands full just keeping on top even a few gear slots.

IMO, this endgame will yield a solid community that I would be happy to be a part of. The target audience? Anyone who likes the idea of that type of endgame. Probably enough to keep TSW thriving for many years.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

I believe it is inaccurate to say "you can play this game any way you want to". There are areas of the game that drop tier 1 items, areas further out from the police station drop tier 2 items, and as you finish the starter zone and move into the next area you're getting tier 3 and 4 items. The leveling path is subtle but there, as if you go too far off the beaten path you will not be able to do the questing content in those areas because of mob difficulty.

Additionally, quest-givers further on will have quests that are "locked" unless you have completed an earlier pre-requisite. So while there is no definitive leveling path, there are leveling areas, and completing those areas gives you the skills necessary to venture further out.

I think it's silly calling TSW a sandbox when it is clearly a themepark, and there's nothing wrong with that.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by DannyGlover

I think after all the quests are done and the stories unfold is when the game gets interesting.

I imagine most of us that stick around will be spending endgame min/maxing builds. This encompasses actives/passives, grinding mobs that drop crafting elements needed for specific decks. Then trying them out in the various pvp scenarios.

The city hubs are designed with a lot of character and I can definitely see a lot of potential for roleplay.

By design, the crafting in this game will always be viable and stay current with new content. A full time crafter will have their hands full just keeping on top even a few gear slots.

IMO, this endgame will yield a solid community that I would be happy to be a part of. The target audience? Anyone who likes the idea of that type of endgame. Probably enough to keep TSW thriving for many years.

That's my view as well.

The Secret World is a Hybrid MMO, it has Themepark elements, but it also has lots of sandbox elements like you describe.

It will take one player a hell long time to unlock the entire Ability wheel and max out the all available skill trees, to create a true freeform character with wich you can create any build you want, any time you want.

And that is just one Major Sandbox element in this game as example.

Actually no. Take UO for example. The mobs only get really difficult in the dungeons and certain out-of-the-way locations. In the main world, once your character gotten a bit stronger, you were fine. In EVE, the difficulty of the mobs depended on the security rating of the zone, not how far away from the space station you were.

In TSW, the difficulty of the mobs is determined by how far away from the start you are. The mobs literally get stronger in a straight line from the sheriff's office to the airport, on the other side of the zone. That is not sandbox. That is as themepark as it gets as it prevents you from really going anywhere until you reach a certain power level. Most importantly though, sure, you CAN deviate and explore. You CAN deviate and explore in WoW too but to what end? What are you exploring? There is nothing there. Just some mobs and maybe a fetch quest.

The simple fact that it is quest driven makes this a themepark game. Each zone has a finite amount of content and once you're done with Kingsmouth, you move to the next zone and the next and the next until you're done with all of the zones and have nothing left to do. That is the very definition of a themepark, man.

That's my view as well.
    The Secret World is a Hybrid MMO, it has Themepark elements, but it also has lots of sandbox elements like you describe.
    It will take one player a hell long time to unlock the entire Ability wheel and max out the all available skill trees, to create a true freeform character with wich you can create any build you want, any time you want.

I also think the art direction and object design of this game lends itself well to player housing in the future. I can easily see some apartment buildings being added to the hub cities where players can hang their hats.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

That's my view as well.

i'm confused how in anyway this is a sandbox hybrid? I would define sandbox elements as player driven/created content.. I have yet to find anything like that in this game its pretty much as themepark as they come(which is fine)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

That's my view as well.

i'm confused how in anyway this is a sandbox hybrid? I would define sandbox elements as player driven/created content.. I have yet to find anything like that in this game its pretty much as themepark as they come(which is fine)

Exactly. I don't understand this need to "force" TSW into being a sandbox when it clearly is a themepark game. There is absolutely nothing wrong with themepark games.

i'm confused how in anyway this is a sandbox? I would define sandbox as player driven/created content.. I have yet to find anything like that in this game its pretty much as themepark as they come(which is fine)

I think character development is where the game feels most player created. You will basically be able to shape your character any way you want at any time. I also think the setting and detail in this game is prime real estate for immersive roleplay. There are so many unique objects littered around its mind boggling. I rarely have seen repeating textures and objects. Each alleyway, room, house, street, store etc looks custom made for that particular structure. In swtor, for example, the environments felt like a looped background from a cartoon. In tsw, everything feels built from scratch on its own. Its very inviting for roleplayers in that regard which lends itself to more player created events which in turn creates a sandbox atmosphere.

I believe Ragnar has promised us props and stages for putting on plays. Looking forward to that as well :)

i'm confused how in anyway this is a sandbox? I would define sandbox as player driven/created content.. I have yet to find anything like that in this game its pretty much as themepark as they come(which is fine)

I think character development is where the game feels most player created. You will basically be able to shape your character any way you want at any time. I also think the setting and detail in this game is prime real estate for immersive roleplay. There are so many unique objects littered around its mind boggling. I rarely have seen repeating textures and objects. Each alleyway, room, house, street, store etc looks custom made for that particular structure. In swtor, for example, the environments felt like a looped background from a cartoon. In tsw, everything feels built from scratch on its own. Its very inviting for roleplayers in that regard which lends itself to more player created events which in turn creates a sandbox atmosphere.

I believe Ragnar has promised us props and stages for putting on plays. Looking forward to that as well :)

you are still following the devleopers pre-made game you aren't making any skills or abilities just because you have more choices doesn't make that sandbox..  and the buildings really? so many are copy and pastes of eachother which doesn't bother me because every game uses this but I don't see how you don't notice it. So many repeated cars, scooters, monster models, npc models, there's a LOT of copy and paste here. The thing is any single MMO can achieve what you said in you last sentance the game has to actually have something to do for players to actually participate in this stuff. Real RP is mostly dead in the MMO genre so I wouldn't get my hopes up people actually RPing much anyway.

That's my view as well.

Exactly. I don't understand this need to "force" TSW into being a sandbox when it clearly is a themepark game. There is absolutely nothing wrong with themepark games.

You two are very narrowminded to just slap one single label on each game and see everything pure Black and White.

So if someone creates an MMO like WoW, strictly class based, level based, zone layout with mobs the exact like it is now, but then remove all level restrictions from the quests and add Star Trek Online's Foundry system to the game, so people can create playerdriven content.....

then suddenly this game is a Sandbox?  Just, because it has player driven content?

Lol! Just lol!

SWG pre-NGE was and still is considered as a sandbox type game. You could play and progress through the game any way you wanted. Yet it also had mission terminals all over the place, so people could basically pick up "quests" and progress through that and make some extra money along the way.

So basically in you two view, SWG pre-NGE is not a sandbox, because it contained mission terminals (quests), so then it's automatically a Themepark.

Again! Just lol!

That's my view as well.

You two are very narrowminded to just slap one single label on each game and see everything pure Black and White.

So if someone creates an MMO like WoW, strictly class based, level based, zone layout with mobs the exact like it is now, but then remove all level restrictions from the quests and add Star Trek Online's Foundry system to the game, so people can create playerdriven content.....

then suddenly this game is a Sandbox?  Just, because it has player driven content?

Lol! Just lol!

SWG pre-NGE was and still is considered as a sandbox type game. You could play and progress through the game any way you wanted. Yet it also had mission terminals all over the place, so people could basically pick up "quests" and progress through that and make some extra money along the way.

So basically in you two view, SWG pre-NGE is not a sandbox, because it contained mission terminals (quests), so then it's automatically a Themepark.

Again! Just lol!

the whole point is you CANNOT progress how you want you HAVE to go to kingmouth first you HAVE to kill the monster close to the starter area or do starter quests at the police station or you cannot kill things far away from that area because they will kill you instantly. You don't have freedom in this game outside what skills you choose if you think you do you are being delusional.. its a straight themepark game which is fine and i enjoy it

you are still following the devleopers pre-made game you aren't making any skills or abilities just because you have more choices doesn't make that sandbox..  and the buildings really? so many are copy and pastes of eachother which doesn't bother me because every game uses this but I don't see how you don't notice it. So many repeated cars, scooters, monster models, npc models, there's a LOT of copy and paste here. The thing is any single MMO can achieve what you said in you last sentance the game has to actually have something to do for players to actually participate in this stuff. Real RP is mostly dead in the MMO genre so I wouldn't get my hopes up people actually RPing much anyway.

Im not sure what you're getting all upset about. I dont really care what you want to call this game. Its a great fit for my personal taste in mmos. And Im a sandbox lover and heavy RP'er so go ahead and think what you want.

the whole point is you CANNOT progress how you want you HAVE to go to kingmouth first you HAVE to kill the monster close to the starter area or do starter quests at the police station or you cannot kill things far away from that area because they will kill you instantly. You don't have freedom in this game outside what skills you choose if you think you do you are being delusional.. its a straight themepark game which is fine and i enjoy it

A pure themepark game, is level based / class based and forces you via strict leveling path. Often refered to as handholding you from beginning to end.

Plus, we don't know if we are always forced to go to Kingsmouth first (simply because your faction storyline says so). Right now, we only have access to Kingsmouth, so we don't know how all the other zones look like and how they are designed.

In of the earlier interviews with Ragnar, he clearly said that you would not be forced to follow a "forced" path. That you could go anywhere, quest anywhere, group up with anyone you wanted. Basically play the game any way you want.

So we will have to see in coming beta weekends, when the game gets opened up more.

The ability wheel / skill tree system is very typically sandbox like, as it gives you TOTAL freedom to create your character anyway you want!

You are not bound to a specific class and forced to roll ALT's to experience a different build. Wich again is the very definition of Themepark.

That's what me and others say with a hybrid Themepark/sandbox game. Same as with Fallen Earth, wich also has both Themepark and sandbox elements.

Skyrim, the latest Elder Scrolls game, has themepark element in form of leveling system and a storyline you can follow, but everything else in the game is very much Sandbox style, as you are not forced to create a specific class (you are free to develop your character the way you want), nor forced to follow the storyline.

Im not sure what you're getting all upset about. I dont really care what you want to call this game. Its a great fit for my personal taste in mmos. And Im a sandbox lover and heavy RP'er so go ahead and think what you want.

you misunderstand I enjoy the game but people are spreading a lot of false information about the game and I'm also a huge sandbox fan and this game is not sandbox in the least.. and like I said I'm fine with that, game was never said to be a sandbox its a pure themepark which is fine. As for RP I been playing MMO since the start of it all RPing outside a very small groups of people and usually just couple friends or guilds is pretty much dead.  I played in RP servers in pretty much every single game that offered them and people just do not RP much at all these days, just how it is