Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Team Diablo III, Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile?

Comments

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

LINEAGE ETERNAL !!!

check it out videos look really cool

trolling for Lineage Eternal

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by Zezda

I went for PoE mainly due to the fact that I like the skill system over TL2 and D3 and prefer the aethetics as well. Also it's nice that when you provide feedback on the game the devs actually respond in a friendly manner and take your feedback on board, GL doing that with anyone in Blizzard.

Also the major reason for me not even buying d3 is that pretty much whatever I think I may have achieved with D3 it will all pretty much be negated by the fact some guy can just buy whatever he wants and then be in the same boat as me. It's a gear based game at the end of the day for the most part and while skill might be involved in PvP gear still makes a hell of a difference.. oh wait.. no PvP and launch??.. yeah ok..

Thanks Blizzard for taking away our sense of achievement. No, really.. it's ok! We didn't want to feel rewarded anyway! Honest!

Total scumbags, couldn't even come up with a decent way of preventing RMT without also destroying everyones sense of achievement in the process. Lazy, lazy design. I cannot and will not reward such lazyness from game devs.

Ok you have hundreds of thousands of people who post on blizzard forums, you expect the devs to really respond to everything? Though there is plenty of blue responses and sometimes they collect a lot of questions and answer them all at once. The forums are read and responded to in some form or another.

As for the whole PoE crew being friendly.. I asked why they copied the whole intro from other games on their boards some time ago. Post deleted and account banned. No warning no message, click click boom.

Bash away friend, if the PoE is so great go play the beta.. instead of floating on the forums.

The GW2 devs didn't have any problems responding to people on their official forums during and after the BWE and they had several hundred thousand people playing over the weekend.

Still, if you want to see the feedback people give and the fact that the devs on PoE act on it then all you need to do is jump onto the forum and see for yourself.

Actually the last patch notes demonstrate that perfectly. The most asked question last public weekend was 'How do I level my gems?' and this public weekend they added a new UI element that made it more obvious when gems were about to level and by doing so also eliminated the need to search around for a tiny button to actually level it when it was done.

What about the company giving those the opportunity to contribute in a massive way? Yes they leverage it by you having to pay for the privilage but then again you don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry doing it. (They let Diamond Supporters have a unique item created after their own design and they will work with that person to implement the items mechanics/stats in the way the person wants. They are also signing and sending out merchandise to the bigger supporters and also adding their names into the game credits even.)

Now these things in themselves are not totally crazy unheard of and make the game an instant classic but it does indicate a certain willingness on the devs part to work with the community in building a game that everyone enjoys but still fits in with the vision the devs started with. You simply aren't going to get that kind of interaction with a company like Blizzard.

It's not bashing when you are stating the facts. People need to pull their heads out of their backsides and discover the fact that not everyone is either a hater or fanboy. Some games suit some people more than others, deal with it. I don't like the fact that I think D3 has been implemented in a lazy manner. You can't seriously expect me to believe that after years of development the best thing they could come up with to battle RMT and enhance the player experience was the current system they have planned and that's only scratching the surface of issues I have with the game overall given the previous titles and massive investment that went into D3.

PS - I'm playing PoE right now, thanks. It's even better since the new patch bumped the difficulty up a fair bit as well! A lot more challenging than I found D3 and I personally enjoy the greater challenge as it requires more thoughtfull input on my part.

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219

Diablo 3 for first few months and then maybe torchlight 2 cause i loved torchlight 1!

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

I'm sure I'll play all three eventually.  Definitely D3 first, then TL2 and finally POE(which I'm trying in their stress test).

• lunarwitch00lunarwitch00 Member Posts: 43

I went for PoE mainly due to the fact that I like the skill system over TL2 and D3 and prefer the aethetics as well. Also it's nice that when you provide feedback on the game the devs actually respond in a friendly manner and take your feedback on board, GL doing that with anyone in Blizzard.

Also the major reason for me not even buying d3 is that pretty much whatever I think I may have achieved with D3 it will all pretty much be negated by the fact some guy can just buy whatever he wants and then be in the same boat as me. It's a gear based game at the end of the day for the most part and while skill might be involved in PvP gear still makes a hell of a difference.. oh wait.. no PvP and launch??.. yeah ok..

Thanks Blizzard for taking away our sense of achievement. No, really.. it's ok! We didn't want to feel rewarded anyway! Honest!

Total scumbags, couldn't even come up with a decent way of preventing RMT without also destroying everyones sense of achievement in the process. Lazy, lazy design. I cannot and will not reward such lazyness from game devs.

um yea ok so rmt
    whats runic doing about it?
    people buy wow accounts.
    people buy d2 items.
    selling third party websites.

so instead of just taking direct control like d3.
    if tl2 get as much love as people seems to think people
    will still sell items just not in game third party woop.

ohh wait the game is really nothing like d2 .
    d2 had such a following people actually ebayed items
    d3 everyone is hating on it just wait and see what happens.
    blizzard has been having some bombing issues since the activizzard.

and so far with all the complain
    everything seems better in d3 compared to d2 only thing missing is pvp and duels
    i do with the player limit wasnt 4 people though

skills lmao

so you got 700 skills
    and three real builds that work
    ala PoE or d2 although d2 didnt have that many skills
    builds are all very similar if not then you significantly weaker than someone who built there character around synergies.

although i actually believe they had more then enough time to prepare.

find out in a few days i guess.

ohh and torchlight looks like wow fun fun right?

at the moment d3 art > torchlight art, least from my perspective both gotta some colors though

PoE is way way similar to d2 could be good or very bad
    not saying it isnt fun though.

edit:
    torchlight 2 went with PwE.
    which well PwE isnt the hottest no doubt.

Originally posted by lunarwitch00

um yea ok so rmt whats runic doing about it? people buy wow accounts. people buy d2 items. selling third party websites. so instead of just taking direct control like d3. if tl2 get as much love as people seems to think people will still sell items just not in game third party woop. ohh wait the game is really nothing like d2 . d2 had such a following people actually ebayed items d3 everyone is hating on it just wait and see what happens. blizzard has been having some bombing issues since the activizzard. and so far with all the complain everything seems better in d3 compared to d2 only thing missing is pvp and duels i do with the player limit wasnt 4 people though skills lmao so you got 700 skills and three real builds that work ala PoE or d2 although d2 didnt have that many skills builds are all very similar if not then you significantly weaker than someone who built there character around synergies. although i actually believe they had more then enough time to prepare. find out in a few days i guess. ohh and torchlight looks like wow fun fun right? at the moment d3 art > torchlight art, least from my perspective both gotta some colors though PoE is way way similar to d2 could be good or very bad not saying it isnt fun though.

Paragraphs.. Please use them. :(

I didn't mention TL2 much, yeah? I wanna play it a bit more before cementing my opinion on it but from the short play I've had at the moment PoE is still my preffered choice.

RMT was a huge issue with D2 and yes people bought shitloads of stuff on it and this did indeed take away some of the sense of achievement when you put effort in to doing meph runs or whatever and found something nice. This is also funnily enough the exact same reason why I'm so shocked that with such a reportedly good dev team (everyone seems to think blizzard shits gold bricks and couldn't make anything a steaming pile of crap even if they tried) and crazy financial backing the best they can come up with is to take the RMT in house which is funnily enough probably the first suggestions everyone would have made but seeing as it doesn't actually tackle the issue of why RMT detracts from the overall game experience it's nothing short of a complete cop-out of actually having to come up with something more involved and clever.

Also, for builds in PoE. I've seen everything from Cleave Witches with a 2h weapons to people shoving just about any weapon you can think of on any character. The thing about the PoE skill tree is that is it *hugely* flexible and works not because it nails certain classes into certain roles but because it does the opposite by simply changing the starting positions rather than locking away skills. ;)

It seems overly complex at an initial glance but when you have a look at the theme and consistency in the skill nodes in each area of the tree you see they match with what you would expect given that INT is north, Dex is South East and STR is South West and what sorts of skills each stat is likely to represent and synergize with. Each class can go where they like in that tree and generally even if you start on the opposite side you can reach whatever you want with relatively minimal 'wasted' points, hence the cleave based Witch. Now that doesn't mean the choices are pointless but it does mean there is  a lot of room to perfect your characters chosen skill set and to achieve that in different ways.

The icing on the cake for PoE is that the passive tree in itself is only a tiny part of the overall skill mechanics and gameplay seeing as your base skills themselves come from the socketed items which work like the Materia system in FFVII. The game lets you blend both aspects together in almost any combination you like and while there are a lot of fail builds there are just as many that once you see you are like 'omfg why didnt i think of that, wtf??'

• lunarwitch00lunarwitch00 Member Posts: 43

formatting text because the forum didnt do it so first comment is paragraphs sad this isnt about comprehension or english or writing class.

ohh and looks a like a single paragraph to me

just not exactly proper

i guess where you write its the standard three sentences per paragraph. < this is joke if you cannot tell so please please lets not argue for the sake of arguing

im not trying to write a freaking essay here anyways

d3 and torchlight 2 will both sell and im sure PoE will probally do ok also

just time will tell on how they maintain the games

i do find it funny seems like d3 is being compared to every action rpg similar to wow being compared to every mmo

so blizzard must be still doing something right. right?

peace hope the games turn out well because the past games have left a pretty bleak look on the current trend of gaming industry

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

DIII, no contest. I can consider TL2, but the graphics style will prevent me from taking it seriously. And PoE is just, IMO, terrible, specifically because of their skill system.

• KaledusKaledus Member Posts: 73

Not to mention there is no clan system at launch.. That is definitely what I would call lazy programming.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365

D3 for me, simple because of high production value and loving the D series... I will also get Torchlight 2, just can't beat $20 price tag...  

If PoE comes to console maybe then i'll play it, but otherwise my time will be split between D3, Tera and WoW....

Originally posted by lunarwitch00

formatting text because the forum didnt do it so first comment is paragraphs sad this isnt about comprehension or english or writing class.

ohh and looks a like a single paragraph to me

just not exactly proper

i guess where you write its the standard three sentences per paragraph. < this is joke if you cannot tell so please please lets not argue for the sake of arguing

im not trying to write a freaking essay here anyways

d3 and torchlight 2 will both sell and im sure PoE will probally do ok also

just time will tell on how they maintain the games

i do find it funny seems like d3 is being compared to every action rpg similar to wow being compared to every mmo

so blizzard must be still doing something right. right?

peace hope the games turn out well because the past games have left a pretty bleak look on the current trend of gaming industry

I dunno if comparing something to other things automatically gives it some sort of merit badge which means it's better than what it actually is.. it's just.. comparing.

Whatever one(s) you go with I hope you have an awesome time at least, same for everyone else. At the end of the day we all have our reasons. I like to hope that every now and then a few people will read threads like these and pick out a post or two that help them understand certain aspects of a game that then enables them to make a better informed choice. That's why when people talk about a game they don't really do anyone any favours unless they try back up their opinion with some decent objective reasoning. I can argue back and forth all day about why some things in D3 will be better than PoE or why PoE does this or that better but im not going to include TL much at this point cause I wanna play it a bit more so I can be more objective in what I say.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

D3 definitely seems like it'll be the winner (avoided voting "wait til I play em all" because obviously that seals the final verdict and the poll is no fun if you choose that option :P )

Torchlight 1 just seemed like Diablo 2 without a soul, so I'm not too sure if I'll enjoy Torchlight 2 (though I'll likely try it.)  That said, we'll have to see if Diablo 3 is Diablo 2 without a soul first. ;)

Path of Exile on first glance seems to have little of the gameplay that makes an action RPG fun, so I'm not sure if that's even in the running.  May still try it though, since it's free, and if it's as mediocre as it looks at least it won't cost me anything.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• xxpigxxxxpigxx Member UncommonPosts: 412

Originally posted by Banisco

Im Team Edward!

I prefer Team Alice.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Path of Exile - 10 bucks for Closed Beta (refunded via cash shop)

Torchlight 2 - 20 bucks

So for half the price of D3 you can get two games that are likely to be solid. I haven't played D3, I heard it's good, but Path of Exile is great and Torchlight was a great game so I don't think you can go wrong with those 2 if you are on a budget. And of course D3 if you aren't.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• Manic.MinerManic.Miner Member Posts: 44

D3 >= PoE > Torchlight 2

Diablo 3 - its blizzard = AAA title

PoE - great free h&s for more demanding gamers, better with every month.

torchlight 2 - fun little h&s, but can be boring in long term.

• ArEfArEf Member Posts: 233

Anyone that likes Diablo 3 over Path of Exile or Torchlight 2 is part of the Call of Duty generation, to be frank.

Originally posted by franko79

D3 >= PoE > Torchlight 2

Fairly obviously never played Torchlight 2.

Add me on Steam!

RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
    Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(
  • ArEfArEf Member Posts: 233

Actually he is spot on.. it'll be a fun little hack n slash but there is no persistance with it so it'll get boring for the majority of players.

I Just don't understand his PoE comment of how its for more demanding gamers.. whats that mean?

Again, fairly obviously never played Torchlight 2. Post a picture of a character with the name "Hi ArEf" and then I'll believe you.

Path of Exile is very oldschool and very, VERY hard.

Add me on Steam!

RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
    Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I voted for TL2 and D3. I will eventually probably get around to trying out PoE after its release, and maybe even Grim Dawn (surprised it didn't figure in the poll). I have gotten a bit squeemish about registering to just any website after the rash of hacker attacks. I am limiting where I go now to places either where I do not have to register or going with companies that already have my details, just in case my information did not get stolen.

Anyway, there are plenty of choices this year for ARPG fans, which is just great considering the lull in the genre for several years. I think it is telling that in my eyes the most recent good one to ship was TL1...

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by ArEf

Anyone that likes Diablo 3 over Path of Exile or Torchlight 2 is part of the Call of Duty generation, to be frank.

D3 >= PoE > Torchlight 2

Actually he is spot on.. it'll be a fun little hack n slash but there is no persistance with it so it'll get boring for the majority of players.

I Just don't understand his PoE comment of how its for more demanding gamers.. whats that mean?

I've gotta say that, from the betas, PoE has the most randomness in maps, then Torchlight 2, then Diablo III.

PoE the maps change completely. Torchlight 2 has different 'routes' that appear but sometimes you hit the same ones if repreating, I 'think' there are some random quests in there because not everyone found the fisher boat quest (But they might have just missed it). Torchlight 1 had a neverending dungeon at the end, not sure if Torchlight 2 does as well though but I hope it does. Diablo III seem about 80% static in level design with new dungeons/cellers/caves that crop up ocassionally, it also has random events/quests it seems but not tons of them (in the beta).

Will any of them get boring in the long run? No one can answer that properly yet, only PoE can be fully played and I didn't play it for too long because I'd rather wait for release.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

I go for freedom of offline-lan or mods no DRM so im TOTAL fan of PoE and TL2.

Its not that i hate D3 its just limitations and and control through aweful battlenet and run by money grabbing company that have changed D3 way to much, i realy don't like and i know im in very small groupe that oppose this that dislike D3 and everything involved around it but hey it will win nomatter what crap blizzard dumb on the market it will be succes right?... so my dislike don't matter at all hehe:)

Have fun with Diablo3 ill have fun with indie competion TL2 and PoE.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• LolusLolus Member UncommonPosts: 29

Torchlight 2 for me. Diablo 3 is just another Activi$$$ion title (no ladder, no mods, etc), I've watched the full cinematics and they are the only great thing about the game tbh

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

D3 >= PoE > Torchlight 2

Eh, I'd have to put TL2 ahead of PoE, but just barely. TL2 doesn't have gender locked classes, plus each class feels unique, whereas PoE's mishmash of a skill tree is innovative, but leaves me feeling like there's no real reason to pick one class over the other. If any class can be effective with any build, then why even have classes in the first place? Just do away with them entirely and have players pick between a male and female character, pick a starting skill gem, and go! In fact, I'd prefer that approach, as it would feel like good old UO in a more action-oriented format.

I will admit that neither class I've played thus far in TL2  (engineer and embermage) has really grabbed me though. I'll buy the game regardless, as I'm a big fan of Runic Games. Plus it'll be a nice way to get my ARPG fix if the internet goes down in my area.

D3 just wins overall though. Its got a promising story, good graphics, great gameplay, tons of character customization and depth, memorable classes... the game is just head & shoulders above the competition. As it should be, it's a $60+ AAA title from a seasoned developer, under the series name which can arguably be credited as being the originator of the modern ARPG. If it couldn't beat out a $20 budget title and a F2P game, then the dev team should be shot. In the face. With a bazooka.

Edit: Almost forgot! One thing I discovered about TL2 which I loathe is the fact you can't combine lower tier gems into a higher tier one anymore. Of all the changes to the game, this one makes the least sense.

Come to think of it, I wonder if Diablo 3 has completely done away with the 'horadric cube' type mechanics? I should certainly hope not, finding new recipes with that thing was always great fun (unless you looked them up, cheaters! :P).

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by Vannor

Originally posted by ArEf

D3 >= PoE > Torchlight 2

I've gotta say that, from the betas, PoE has the most randomness in maps, then Torchlight 2, then Diablo III.

PoE the maps change completely. Torchlight 2 has different 'routes' that appear but sometimes you hit the same ones if repreating, I 'think' there are some random quests in there because not everyone found the fisher boat quest (But they might have just missed it). Diablo III seem about 80% static in level design with new dungeons/cellers/caves that crop up ocassionally, it also has random events/quests it seems.

Will any of them get boring in the long run? No one can answer that properly yet, only PoE can be fully played and I didn't play it for too long because I'd rather wait for release.

The map thing thus far has been one of my only complaints with D3, we'll see how the game really unfolds on the 15th though.

Torchlight 2 also has the dungeon maps you can buy from vendors that provide infinate dungeons to do, I just found one ingame. It seems the main story maps don't respawn enemies or loot though, so I'm glad those dungeon maps are in there.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by just1opinion

I used to be a huge Diablo fan, yet I can't help but think....they seem to have taken all the Diablo out of Diablo III, so....I'm still buying it, but I'm not very excited about it.  Torchlight, however, was a fave of mine too and I think T2 will be true to Torchlight, so I am looking forward to it much more than D3.  I am, however, buying both.  Path of Exile....I have no strong feelings for and will give it a pass.

Yeah I'm really hoping for the best with D3 but I do have a bad feeling.  The few beta reviews I've read all mention how there is little open space and you literally follow a path from beginning to end.  The fact that stats and skills are automatically given to you is a big let down.  Plus being able to sell items for real money in a game like Diablo is not a good idea.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Originally posted by Vannor

Since these are all listed as MMO on this site (I know they are not MMOs) I figure this is the place to post this.

Excellent idea :)

Path of Exile...

is rough around the edges but has potential and the closer view kinda bugs me a little. There is a lack of variety in item appearance as well. The skill system however is truely unique and the passive skill grid thingy is really good, these are both fun to play around with.

Excellent game with real old school feeling of D2. Skill system is awesome. And I am sure the game will win some hardcore audiences.

Alas, gameplay is old fashioned. And perhaps least fun of the 3.

Diablo III...

is good and nicely polished but the change in skill system is a downer for me, as is not being able to have access all your skills at the same time or being able to make your character truely unique. Great voiceovers, best graphics, well established IP with a better ongoing narrative than the others.

Its a bit of a cat in the bag. What we know is based on "blizzard can not do wrong" (but they can as we seen in Bioware+SWTOR case) and on pretty meek beta. On other hand D3 innovates the most, and dares to change all.

Skill system that i opposed seems heaven send after second thought. No more junk builds , being able to play as you want , when you want. And skills that really mater and are unique in gameplay effect (not just same versions of other skill)

Still unpopular choices like high price , RMAH , always on DRM, no game browser - are huge deterrent.

I am going to play it though and here is my reasoning:

Simply everyone is going to play it. And community will be huge. I find this important.

Plus. I think (and this is based only on talk) that the gameplay will be the best of the 3

Torchlight 2...

seems to be the middle man and ticks all the boxes for me, it's far closer to Diablo II than Diablo III is (except being the established IP that is Diablo of course). It's not as customizable in the skills department as PoE but is more so than Diablo III. The item appearance customization is on a par with Diablo III, yet Diablo III has the better graphics and better design. The pet system is unique to Fate 1 + 2 and Torchlight 1 + 2 (same developers I believe?), it certainly has it's place in this kind of game.

Big bag of excellent !

It does everything D3 does + its cheap + server browser + single player + no RMAH

Gameplay is fun - Runic really understand the genre (since they invented it)

Only bad areas are:

Graphic and story are real cartoony . Skill system is old school (good or bad?) and suffers from exact opposite of D3. Online mode will be hacked.

Opposite of D3 , community will be smaller. And online play riddled with cheaters.

For me this game could be a choice game , if it was launched before D3. And I am sure many would agree.

Now with 60$ invested in D3 (and GW2) on horison , T2 will probably be bargain bin buy :(

I've got to give it to Torchlight 2. I will be playing all of them though.

All just my opinion of course.