Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your perfect open world PvP game.

2»

Comments

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Bazharkhan

I agree 100% that if you want PvP to be meaningful, you need to go for games where organized world PvP raids can actually shape the game world. Territorial defense and conquest, both against mobs and other player factions, brings the feeling of 'so what?' to the game. Hard to do right, but a thing of beauty nonetheless.

Again, I'll point to Eve Online, specifically it's Nullsec regions. Has that to a T.

Where's the any key?

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

Warhammer Online, but good.

And possibly with another faction.

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by Quirhid

Meaningful PvP, meaningful PvP... Sounds like a punchline. What is more meaningful in open world PvP than in competitive PvP? If anything the meaningfulness of anything you do is subjective. It means something if you care. Other than that, it is as meaningless as everything else.

That's like saying whats the meaningful difference between a boxing match and the invasion of Normandy. In one you can be playing Mohammad Ali fighting for a title and the other a part of the United States Army fighting to free France. Since there is only one world (read shard) for the USA and France to exist on, of course you care about the outcome much more than a boxing match.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

Originally posted by Konfess

The fan of this type of game expects to be at the head of the leader board. When they are not they leave the game behind. And once again demand the same game be made. This is a game of timing. To be fun the fan must be first in and at the top, it is no fun to be last in and at the bottom. This game exists as an MMORPG as Eve, Darkfall, and MU online. Closer still as a MMOFPS since 2003 as Planetside, It has 7 out 9 features listed.  If a fan of Open World PvP is still looking, they have no reason.

Was wondering when someone would mention Eve...

From what I've heard, for the open world PvP challenge etc...Eve Online is your best bet.

EVE has the "Premise" that many like and the OP seeks, But it blurs it due to the Skill system that is time based and not based upon the actions of the player..and the fact that its combat system is all Strategic without any tactics in it...it is all about Dice rolls...no different than Gratuitous Battles, set up your ship and throw it in the ring and see how it fares.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • dethsbryddethsbryd Member UncommonPosts: 4

Warhammer pvp was a lot of fun...just wish they could have balanced the game so you could quest and level without falling behind in pvp leveling.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

just give me Shadowbane back..or revamp UO..no hand holding carebear sissys allowed

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Mine would probably not have PvP unfortunatly as, at least in my experience, most of the "hardcore" PvPers are friggin douchebags.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

world war II done well.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

civil war vrs zombies vrs orcs vrs catholic knights **because cathlics are hardcore**

build yur city / empire and play2crush full world open pvp

no hand holding no "you can only pvp here" no Q times

only 2 continent with small islands to hold for resorces to build

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Larsa

Originally posted by xposeidon

The PvP MMORPG I want.

A hardcore Open World PvP game is what some of us want, brutal, unforgiving, thrilling, meaningful. ...

Play Haven & Hearth. It's "brutal, unforgiving, thrilling, meaningful" and when you get killed you're dead. Yeah, you lose xp when you get killed, to be precise you lose all xp you have, because your character is dead, permanent, roll a new one.

And please don't use the word "hardcore" again before you survived in Haven & Hearth for half a year or so. :)

Your being funny right?

It kinda looks like UO tho....

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

Originally posted by xposeidon

• If a player kills you, you lose exp according to your level and the player that kills you gains that experience, this way leveling up by open world pvp is a possibility. Of course if you are an outlaw, penalties will be higher, for example you might drop double the exp, etc.

this is the worst idea ever. in a open world, full loot, ffa game where pvp is never even numbered, or fair, and it's pretty much inflicted appon you wether you like it or not, appon death you are going to loose all your shit and ALSO lose levels?

i dont think so.

at least in a full loot mmo you can choose to risk losing gear/weappon by either equipping it or not, but levels? you can't really stop people from continuously kill you and send you bakc to level 1.

nobody will play this. already, full loot by it'self scares off  90% of mmo players. i actually enjoy full loot mmos myself, but the thought of losing xp, on top of gear and loot, every time i get killed by zergs of enemies that surprise me while farming it's just too much.

ok so YOU do not like it, doesn't mean that it should not be made. Nothing says you have to play it just because it exists. There is a market for it, albeit a small one.  Small markets should be addressed also.

Currently bored with MMO's.