Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do not preorder The Secret World from Funcom unless

124»

Comments

• Mage_FrancisMage_Francis Member Posts: 53

Why the hell would you buy a lifetime sub for a game before you even try it????  That makes no sense at all!  Funcom is not out to scam anyone so please take your tinfoil hat off and use some common sense.  The beta weekend's were a part of the service you were purchasing when you pre-order.  You don't buy a sandwich take a bite and ask for your money back so why do you think you can do it with digital property?

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by Mage_Francis

You don't buy a sandwich take a bite and ask for your money back so why do you think you can do it with digital property?

Most people would if the toppings were spoiled, the meat was under cooked, it just tasted bad, or it wasn't made as described.

Since when has a demo or beta ever been part of the game?  If you bought if for "exclusive access" you were mislead enough that it should warrent a return anyway.   I'm suprised that of all video games in the history of video games, it seems this is the only time I have seen people on any forums take up the company's side with such passion, same thing on the official forums.  The fact that Funcom's own game has a diffrent preorder policy depending on the retailer shows something is amiss.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    Originally posted by eyeswideopen
    Originally posted by Soandsoso

Pre-Order....you are pre-ordering the game before it officially hits the shelves. You are buying the product in advance.

As part of that purchase is access to the betas. Once you played the beta it was the same as taking the product out of the package.

If  I was the credit card company I would cancel your credit card as it is obvious you are not responsible enough to be using one.

Funcom gave you everything they advertised...returning something because you decide you don't like it is the fault of the customer.

Good thing the credit card companies, and most sane non-fanbois, disagree with you.

Tell the credit card company you are returning it because you don't like it. They wont give you your money back. But if you lie and say they didn't give you what they said they were then yes they will do the charge back.

And yes if the credit card company starts to see a trend of charge backs they will cancel your cc for abusing it.

And if a company gets enough people doing charge backs, that company starts getting fined and can even lose the ability to accept that vendors ( MasterCard, VISA, etc. ) card. And it's real easy to tell them the truth. Product does not come out for another month, no product has been released yet, and the person no longer wishes to purchase it when it does release. That's all the CC company needs to hear. Again, CC companies do NOT consider "beta test" to be a valid purchaseable product. Noone pays to test a game.

The company wont get any flack if they aren't doing anything wrong as in this case. Funcom has delivered what they said they would deliver as part of the purchase. The only time Funcom or any other company would get fined is if they were promising one thing and then giving the customer something else. Which is not the case in this scenario. Hence the reaon why the OP isn't getting their money back.

I'll leave you to your beliefs then, as wrong as they may be. I suggest you actually look into how credit card companies work when you get a chance. Final answer: yes, the OP will get his money back.

I have discussed this with my cc company and they have said that they do not do charge backs because the customer decided they didn't like the product. Its not a belief, its a fact.

Now if I lied and said the company didn't deliver as they said they would then yes they would do the charge back.

Uh huh.

I'll humor you.

Call back your credit card company and ask about refunds regarding false advertisement.

"Pre-order The Secret World and receive EXCLUSIVE beta access!"

There is no exclusive beta access. The beta access your pre-order gives you is the same beta access everyone who got invited randomly  ( and for free ), or played the Facebook game to get invited ( for free ) to CB  has.

Exclusive doesn't mean what you think it does. Anyone who paid or obtained a key through a gaming site got access. It would be false if they said exclusive and then opened it up to everyone free of charge. It doesn't mean that you would be the only person to get access......lol...which is what you are implying.

You lied  plain and simple to abuse the charge back system.

Funny thing is you cant even see that CC companies use instances like this to justify charging high interest rates. You end up paying for it in the long run.

Some people cannot see past their own nose.

Originally posted by tares

You don't buy a sandwich take a bite and ask for your money back so why do you think you can do it with digital property?

Most people would if the toppings were spoiled, the meat was under cooked, it just tasted bad, or it wasn't made as described.

Since when has a demo or beta ever been part of the game?  If you bought if for "exclusive access" you were mislead enough that it should warrent a return anyway.   I'm suprised that of all video games in the history of video games, it seems this is the only time I have seen people on any forums take up the company's side with such passion, same thing on the official forums.  The fact that Funcom's own game has a diffrent preorder policy depending on the retailer shows something is amiss.

Nothing was spoiled. The op just decided he didn't like the game and when he used that to get the charge back he was told no.

Only way to get a charge back in this case is to lie that something wasn't delivered.

It would be like buying a game and realizing later that it didn't run on your system...no refund. It was your fault for not knowing before you spent your money.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by Doomedfox
    Originally posted by Askedan
    Originally posted by Dranny
    Originally posted by Askedan

OP, i always do the same.

Pre-order the game, play the beta, realize how much of a piece of crap the game reallly is and just cancel my pre-order or do a chargeback.

Fanboys can QQ all they want, it's a great way to try games without spending a dime, and as a consumer, being able to try games before buying them is a great thing, no one deserves my 60$ if i don't like the game, period.

or maybe just wait till they do a trial or buddy system instead of wasting peoples time.

Plus there has been a few sites giving away keys for beta weekends, so maybe look around next time.

After what Funcom did with Age of Conan, all their lies and scams, i could care less if i waste their time or not.

When they start having trials or buddy systems, everyone pretty much knows how much the game sucks, so there is really no point anymore.

I have to admit i dont understand you.

So getting a preorder and cancel it to test it out so you dont waste money is ok but waiting for a buddy system or a free trial is pointless??

Isnt a free trial or a buddy system meant to give ppl who want to make sure they like what they buy the chance to test it?

So abusing the preorder system is ok but waiting for the trial is pointless??

Really do not understand that at all sounds rather stupid to be honest.

Im guessing he charge backs funcom out of revenge.

WIth that said, its people like this guy who abuse systems meant to protect consumers, then ends up getting the law changed and people who really need the charge back function will be hurt in the future.

People like this ruin good things.

I mean, you couldnt wait a few weeks for the public beta?

And if you speak so poorly of funcom why even bother then....unless out of spite?

• GoresonGoreson Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by tares

Tares, seriously?

A demo is a marketing tool for just that very same game.

And the beta is, well, the pre-release version of the game.

Now, you need to sort things a bit finer:

Usually you can obtain the demo version completely independent from the game, as I said it's pretty much just a marketing tool.

The beta on the other hand, that is something where the developer/publisher reserves the right to provide access or not.

He raffle access codes or distribute them to people who have signed up for beta access AND show the most promise as fitting the criteria the developer/publisher is looking for: certain system configurations, age range of gamer, gender, etc.

He most likely will provide access codes to other "affiliates" (gaming websites or magazines for distribution, journalists for self testing), the list goes on and on...

and yes, apparently as a new trend with pre-purchasing the game you also get the exclusive right to access any beta event.

and yes, this access to every beta event may be exclusive as I know that the GW2 BWE access that I won in a raffle, did not work in the following stress test, nor will it probably work in following BWEs.

and yes, it is a bundle... just like buying a colector's edition bundles he game together with some goodies bundles the pre-purchase/pre-order the game with beta access as one of these "goodies".

So, going back to your sandwich, yes, one could consider the whole bundle as the sandwich.

But you not liking the beta is completely different that the beta being "faulty": if the publisher/developer actually never ran a beta or ran betas but never invited you, then you'd be looking a "spoiled toppings" as the bundles as a whole is not provided in the condition the "vendor" had promised.

if you feel that the beta is lacking in quality or that the beta indicates that the actual game will not be to your liking, sorry, same story as with you going to a store and buying say a clockradio... only to find out at home when you have opened the box and you have taken the clockradio out of the box and put it on the side table, that the color clashes with your wallpaper.

But a quick comparrison with the box shows that yes, this is the same color.

If you try and return the clockradio "because you didn't like the color" I'm pretty positive that very few stores will accespt it back and refund you the money.

The reason being fairly simple: the box has been opened so the clock radio is now no longer new but used. As a result the store probably has to sell it at a lower price as the manifacturer will probably only accept faulty parts back...

Which in this case means: you pre-purchased the game with access to betas, you then used the beta registration code to set your account up for beta acess (read: opened box and took out clockradio), by which time the "clockradio" (read: the game bundle" has turned from new to used.

Anyhow, what I don't get is this desire to definitely have beta access and therefore pre-puchasing/-ordering?

Over the last 6 months I've been in 4 betas (SWTOR, GW2, TSW, and PoE), and I still had more invites to other games.

I've not paid a single cent for any of these beta accesses, all I had to do was either sign up for the newsletter on the games or keep my ear to the grind and pounce on any chance beta access is offered somewhere, assuming I'm interested in said game in the first place.

Pre-Order....you are pre-ordering the game before it officially hits the shelves. You are buying the product in advance.

As part of that purchase is access to the betas. Once you played the beta it was the same as taking the product out of the package.

If  I was the credit card company I would cancel your credit card as it is obvious you are not responsible enough to be using one.

Funcom gave you everything they advertised...returning something because you decide you don't like it is the fault of the customer.

Good thing the credit card companies, and most sane non-fanbois, disagree with you.

Tell the credit card company you are returning it because you don't like it. They wont give you your money back. But if you lie and say they didn't give you what they said they were then yes they will do the charge back.

And yes if the credit card company starts to see a trend of charge backs they will cancel your cc for abusing it.

And if a company gets enough people doing charge backs, that company starts getting fined and can even lose the ability to accept that vendors ( MasterCard, VISA, etc. ) card. And it's real easy to tell them the truth. Product does not come out for another month, no product has been released yet, and the person no longer wishes to purchase it when it does release. That's all the CC company needs to hear. Again, CC companies do NOT consider "beta test" to be a valid purchaseable product. Noone pays to test a game.

The company wont get any flack if they aren't doing anything wrong as in this case. Funcom has delivered what they said they would deliver as part of the purchase. The only time Funcom or any other company would get fined is if they were promising one thing and then giving the customer something else. Which is not the case in this scenario. Hence the reaon why the OP isn't getting their money back.

I'll leave you to your beliefs then, as wrong as they may be. I suggest you actually look into how credit card companies work when you get a chance. Final answer: yes, the OP will get his money back.

I have discussed this with my cc company and they have said that they do not do charge backs because the customer decided they didn't like the product. Its not a belief, its a fact.

Now if I lied and said the company didn't deliver as they said they would then yes they would do the charge back.

Uh huh.

I'll humor you.

Call back your credit card company and ask about refunds regarding false advertisement.

There is no exclusive beta access. The beta access your pre-order gives you is the same beta access everyone who got invited randomly  ( and for free ), or played the Facebook game to get invited ( for free ) to CB  has.

Exclusive doesn't mean what you think it does. Anyone who paid or obtained a key through a gaming site got access. It would be false if they said exclusive and then opened it up to everyone free of charge. It doesn't mean that you would be the only person to get access......lol...which is what you are implying.

Funny thing is you cant even see that CC companies use instances like this to justify charging high interest rates. You end up paying for it in the long run.

Go learn the meaning of the word "exclusive". image

Now I am done with you as I simply cannot have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Oh, and you've got brown on you.

Exclusive in this case applies to all those who pre-ordered the game, they are excluding those who didn't pre-order the game.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Your meaning...I pre-ordered the game so I should be the only one playing.

You abused the system my friend, we all know that.

s.

Uh huh.

I'll humor you.

Go learn the meaning of the word "exclusive". image

Now I am done with you as I simply cannot have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Oh, and you've got brown on you.

Exclusive in this case applies to all those who pre-ordered the game, they are excluding those who didn't pre-order the game.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Your meaning...I pre-ordered the game so I should be the only one playing.

You abused the system my friend, we all know that.

s.

I have a feeling everything in the world seems simple to you. Public education at its finest. Again, look up the definition of the word "exclusive".

If they were exluding those who didn't pre-order, NOONE OUTSIDE OF PRE-ORDERS WOULD HAVE CLOSED BETA ACCESS. 

Yet, we who did not pre-order do have closed beta access, so there is obviously no exclusive beta.

So, who got excluded, hmm? Hmm? Your brain starting to melt from working too hard yet?

Take your head out of Funcom's ass long enough to realize you are not only wrong, but proving yourself to be an idiot on top of it.

Buying a video game is simple. Do I like game, yes.....I buy game. Do I like game....no...I don't buy game....simple.

Plenty to watch and read to help determine if you will like it plus you could have got a free key.

Don't need a university degree to tell me if a video game will be fun. But I understand your need to insult.

The people who didn't pre-order and the ones that didn't get their key from many of the sites are excluded. Did I really need to explain this to you?

You think you are smart but you spent money to check the game out when you could have got a key from one of the many sites that bought the keys so people would register with them for free.

And I thought you were done....I guess not.  See you in game...)

• DarkDemon69DarkDemon69 Member Posts: 154

The only ones the education system failed, are the ones who think that credit fraud is fine. Because thats what anyone who defends ripping funcom off through chargebacks is. Sad state of our nation when people think fraud is A OK

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331
    Originally posted by DarkDemon69

The only ones the education system failed, are the ones who think that credit fraud is fine. Because thats what anyone who defends ripping funcom off through chargebacks is. Sad state of our nation when people think fraud is A OK

Agree wholeheartedly

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I dig it...Im glad about my preorder plus the innitate pack....im now scrambling to gather up more money, aiming for Lifer but will probably settle on master pack

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by Angrah

you are absulutely sure that want it. After preordering last month (AND being charged in full for the game) I downloaded and participated in this weekends beta.  The game is kind of lame and boring so I asked for a refund and was told no they do not do refunds.

So my warning to you all do not preorder from Funcom unless you are 100% sure you want the game.

Angrah

This should be a life lesson. You dont get anything for free. Dont buy something just so you can try it out and then expect to return it. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Angrah

you are absulutely sure that want it and that you understand that Funcom will take a year or more to get the kinks out.

Fixed that for you.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Grigor_BronGrigor_Bron Member Posts: 129

If this works anything like the Guild Wars 2 prepurchace, of course you can't get your money back. They already issued the CD key which allowed you access to the beta. Let this be a lesson to you: read the fine print. If something says "No Refunds" there are no refunds.