Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do not preorder The Secret World from Funcom unless

AngrahAngrah Member Posts: 6

you are absulutely sure that want it. After preordering last month (AND being charged in full for the game) I downloaded and participated in this weekends beta.  The game is kind of lame and boring so I asked for a refund and was told no they do not do refunds.

So my warning to you all do not preorder from Funcom unless you are 100% sure you want the game.

Angrah

Comments

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Pre-ordered and absolutely satisfied with it despite some problems.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by Angrah

you are absulutely sure that want it. After preordering last month (AND being charged in full for the game) I downloaded and participated in this weekends beta.  The game is kind of lame and boring so I asked for a refund and was told no they do not do refunds.

So my warning to you all do not preorder from Funcom unless you are 100% sure you want the game.

Angrah

i,m kind of curius.where did you pre order from.i ordered off funcom and they are not taking money until june,a week before launch.secondly why would you knowingly purchase a game without even looking at it..seems kind of silly.

Not having a dig at you m8 but its your own fault really..and just because the game is not what you like does'nt mean its lame and boring.it just means its not for you,thats all.

did you buy from third party..not sure how it works where you come from..australia is'nt it.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by Piiritus

Pre-ordered and absolutely satisfied with it despite some problems.

+1

• VosperVosper Member UncommonPosts: 57

Preordered, and just logged out - finding it very good so far - lots of atmosphere, feels very spooky, as it should.

I won't be playing much else this weekend, let's just say.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by Vosper

Preordered, and just logged out - finding it very good so far - lots of atmosphere, feels very spooky, as it should.

I won't be playing much else this weekend, let's just say.

i,m just wondering wether or not to leave it alone..i dont want to ruin myself on the game before release..i,m absolutely loving it..

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

Considering Funcom's track record I would not think about buying the game till a few months into release. However if they do not let you cancel a pre-order then that's a new low.

• AngrahAngrah Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by kevjards

Angrah

i,m kind of curius.where did you pre order from.i ordered off funcom and they are not taking money until june,a week before launch.secondly why would you knowingly purchase a game without even looking at it..seems kind of silly.

Not having a dig at you m8 but its your own fault really..and just because the game is not what you like does'nt mean its lame and boring.it just means its not for you,thats all.

did you buy from third party..not sure how it works where you come from..australia is'nt it.

I preordered directly from Funcom and was charged in full in April so you might want to check your cc statement.  

And yes if a game isn't what i like and I find it lame and boring then to me (SEE this is my opinion) it is lame and boring. 

If you find otherwise then we have different opinions and that's how the world works. Neither is right or wrong just different.

• tersaguntersagun Member UncommonPosts: 11

...unless you want to pay way more!

I've bought my pre-order with the bonuses for 38$. Contact me if you want to get for such a cheap price ;-)

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219

didnt preorder it yet but after 2 days n lots of TSW gaming i am planning to .

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Im sorry, i cant figure out why you cant get a refund, they havent given you a product, if yu paid online you used a credit card, just dispute it and get your money back that way.

How are you not able to get a refund?

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

So let me get this straight, Op- you're telling me not to buy something unless I'm sure I want to buy it? That is some Yogi Berra-level advice. Thanks so much for your insight.

• beyond007beyond007 Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Im sorry, i cant figure out why you cant get a refund, they havent given you a product, if yu paid online you used a credit card, just dispute it and get your money back that way.

How are you not able to get a refund?

I also preordered from Funcom and also tried the beta and decided it just was not for me. Funcom says it is in your agreement that if you try the beta and also after 7-14 days since your preorder you will not get a refund that also counts for the lifetime fee. Now my friends who ordered threw Amazon.com had no issue getting a refund. It is just the preorder threw the Funcom site. I did dispute it threw my credit card so we will see what happens.

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

Angrah

Lies.  Because i ordered 2 weeks ago and my payment hasnt gone thru.  So i contacted support.

Greetings,

Your Pre-Order being pending is completely normal. You will be charged

for it shortly before game launch, and it doesn't effect your ability to

play in the weekend Beta.
    The download for the game can be found on your

account page here: if you

haven't already downloaded it. If you are getting Authentication Errors

when trying to login, it is because the authentication servers are under

heavy load currently with everyone trying to log in together at once. We

are working on improving it and if you are patient with it, you should

be able to login to the server in a little bit. I do apologize for the

inconvenience in the mean time though. If you have anymore questions or

concerns, just reply to this email and I will get back to you as soon as

possible.

Thank you for contacting Funcom Customer Support.

Regards,

GM Tenadji

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I'm digging the game just because it is different.

If I can get 2 to 3 months of fun out of this game, it will be well worth it for me instead of another fantasy game with pastel colors and cute critters.

• beyond007beyond007 Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Mexorilla

Angrah

Lies.  Because i ordered 2 weeks ago and my payment hasnt gone thru.  So i contacted support.

Greetings,

Your Pre-Order being pending is completely normal. You will be charged

for it shortly before game launch, and it doesn't effect your ability to

play in the weekend Beta.
    The download for the game can be found on your

account page here: if you

haven't already downloaded it. If you are getting Authentication Errors

when trying to login, it is because the authentication servers are under

heavy load currently with everyone trying to log in together at once. We

are working on improving it and if you are patient with it, you should

be able to login to the server in a little bit. I do apologize for the

inconvenience in the mean time though. If you have anymore questions or

concerns, just reply to this email and I will get back to you as soon as

possible.

Regards,

GM Tenadji

I was charged the day of my preorder back in April. Also just because you have not been charged does not change the fact that they will charge you.

Greetings,

I apologize for the inconvenience, however it appears that your account

is not eligible for a refund today. This is based off of our refund

policy. Currently we are refunding pre-orders until launch if they are

unused. I appears that you have already accessed your Beta therefore the

account in question is not eligible for a refund. Again I apologize for

any inconvenience.

If you require any further support or have any questions about this

issue please respond to this email and I will be glad to assist you!

Regards,

GM Esteliona

Greetings,

I apologize for any inconvenience, however our refund policy states we

can issue a refund within 7-14 days of purchase if the item has not been

used.  Currently you have reserved names, as well as played in the Beta

and we are unable to issue a refund.  The payment is well past our

refund policy dates as well seeing as it is over a month old. Your

"lifetime" subscription means that you will never have to pay to play

the game after your initial purchase, you do not have a monthly fee. I

cannot cancel this as your payment has already processed and is past the

refund date.

If you have any further questions please respond to this email and I

will be glad to assist you.  Again I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

GM Esteliona

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

interesting. 

man,  why did you get a lifetime sub?  im guessing that's why they charged you.  they wanted to scoop that up.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Angrah

Why would you preorder a game that you know nothing about, of course did you think the game was a free trial, glad they took it to you, I would have to, the game is NOT free Nor is there work, so stop buying things you know nothing about,

Did you work for free at your job, or  did you let them try it out first before they paid for your work that you did..

/roll eyes..

Did you say game needs work?? What MMo doesn't being a Newer Developer myself , all MMo's are always in beta, so if your expecting a perfect game, I suggest for you to stop playing MMO's.... Also a lifetime to a game that you where unsure of??? Pretty stupid , do you wanna give me your money, sounds like you made a bad choice based on what videos???

Give them a game a chance if it was something you thought you would have liked, but if your gonna spend that kind of money what type of combat did you expect they didn't surprise us they showed us and told us ages ago, they also said not everyone will like this game.!!!

It also will pull in a more mature crowd that likes to think etc... These are just some of the things they said, so I'm a bit lost, why you would expect a refund ,after trying to buy a lifetime Sub...

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

*sigh* I'll tell you what I told the other 30 people or so that have posted this exact same thread. Reverse your credit card charges or file a dispute via paypal. If you didn't use one of these payment methods (99% of people do), then you deserve not to be able to get your money back.

The company has no say in whether or not it will allow refunds on a product that has not been released yet. Your credit card company and paypal will side with "you" every single time. I've done this in 3 other games that only allowed beta if you pre-ordered, got my money back every time. Thankfully I didn't have to pre-order TSW in order to test it and see it wasn't worth the cost.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

The second you activated the code is when they have every right to charge you since you did buy the product and used it.

Its a good way to stop all this kids from just wanting a sneak peek and than cancel the order all that causes the company work and no win whatshowever so saying once you used the code you are beeing charges is fine by me.

I preordered the weapon bonus set and planned to decide afterwards if ill upgrade or not after beeing invited to beta and playing for a week i updated to Grandmaster and couldnt be happier i dont understand why someone who doesnt know if he will really like the game or not would get the Grandmaster edition to begin with and than after using the product even gets pissed cause he cant get his money back oh well guess there really are ppl of all kinds out there.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

Originally posted by Doomedfox

The second you activated the code is when they have every right to charge you since you did buy the product and used it.

Its a good way to stop all this kids from just wanting a sneak peek and than cancel the order all that causes the company work and no win whatshowever so saying once you used the code you are beeing charges is fine by me.

I preordered the weapon bonus set and planned to decide afterwards if ill upgrade or not after beeing invited to beta and playing for a week i updated to Grandmaster and couldnt be happier i dont understand why someone who doesnt know if he will really like the game or not would get the Grandmaster edition to begin with and than after using the product even gets pissed cause he cant get his money back oh well guess there really are ppl of all kinds out there.

While your wrong on most points. I will agree no one should have bought the grandmaster pack unless they were damn sure they wanted it.

But it makes perfect sense to pre-order a game these days in order to see if a product is worth buying. Then cancel it if it doesn't meet expectations. However I think this should only be used in the event that beta is limited to pre-orders only.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• DarkDemon69DarkDemon69 Member Posts: 154

Angrah

Your opwn fault, they listed it in the faq that you will be charged in full once you accessed open beta. Sorry your a tool that tries to play games for free and got caught.

Exactly I hope more developers do this.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Originally posted by Kazuhiro

While your wrong on most points. I will agree no one should have bought the grandmaster pack unless they were damn sure they wanted it.

But it makes perfect sense to pre-order a game these days in order to see if a product is worth buying. Then cancel it if it doesn't meet expectations. However I think this should only be used in the event that beta is limited to pre-orders only.

I don't remember ever getting to trial any game I ever preordered before. I would go into a store, give them some amount of money, and then come back when the game released to get my reserved copy. If I changed my mind, I was always out the money I gave them for the preorder to hold my copy of the game.

Don't understand were you people learn ethics from. You're cheating the company every time you do a charge back on your CC. The retailer usually ends up paying some small fee to the CC companies, on top of the fee they had to pay them to process your transaction. Believe it or not, you have to pay the bank for CC transactions as a retailer. You don't make yourself look good by stating that you dispute the charges with you CC company every time you preorder a game just so you can get a free trial of it. Honestly, that looks really bad, and is quite literally fraud on your part. If you had done it once, that would be one thing, but the fact that you admit to having done it repeatedly shows that you're doing it with the intent to get a free trial. But you keep on doing it. And keep on doing it with the same CC. Hopefully someone at the CC catches on and nails you for it.

As an aside, game companies need to stop giving beta access with preorders, and just have open stress tests without any requirements. If you're game is good it'll stand on it's own merits and won't require you to try and trap people into paying for a product they ended up not liking as much as they thought they would. It smacks of a lack of confidence in your game. Funcom should also stop advertising the beta access with the game.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

First off, the FAQ on their page told you, that if you're using your preorder to access the beta then you'll be charged, as you've activated the code.

Secondly, you could've gained access to the beta-weekends either through taking part in the Secret War or by getting a free key from another site.

Last but not least, I think that it's unethical to preorder a game to access beta and then do a refund.

With all that said, I'm glad that you've to bite the bullet.

Originally posted by Yalexy

First off, the FAQ on their page told you, that if you're using your preorder to access the beta then you'll be charged, as you've activated the code.

Secondly, you could've gained access to the beta-weekends either through taking part in the Secret War or by getting a free key from another site.

Last but not least, I think that it's unethical to preorder a game to access beta and then do a refund.

With all that said, I'm glad that you've to bite the bullet.

Exactly and the cc companies arent going to reverse charges as you got something for what you paid, beta access