Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The future is "Tera" and not about "GW2 or SW"

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by Jessina

Originally posted by Volkon

Tera will be one of the last nails in the coffin of the kill-ten-rat static worlds.

Actually GW2 will be. Quote me now. I will be back and say "I told you so." If I am wrong, I will also come back and eat pigs feet. :)

Book it!

I think we're both saying the same thing from the opposite direction. I see the way Tera took the standard KTR quests and actually found a way to make them even more boring will, by comparison with GW2's DEs, have gamers of the "future" decide that that's simply not good enough anymore. There's no reason for Bob the NPC to have to stand there with a "!" over his head waiting for people to interact with him so he can get his ten livers. From everyone. Always needing livers. Too bad not all the boars have livers. Sigh...  Anyhoo, this is the era when KTR questing and static worlds grinds to a halt. Everyone will realize that worlds can be alive, dynamic and eventful, and no one will have to settle for that anymore unless they choose to.

I for one will never have to settle again. GW2 single-handedly killed all other MMOs to me.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Tera will be one of the last nails in the coffin of the kill-ten-rat static worlds.

I dunno... they did get combat right.

Not even remotely kidding.... they did an awesome job.  Like hits look like hits... mobs getting smacked backwards and active blocking...

That being said... the story is just lame as heck.  The open pvp part somewhat makes up for it.  I'm lvl 17 currently.. if it were truly terrible Id be out before 10.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

If nothing else I just hope developers continue to build on the combat.

Actually GW2 will be. Quote me now. I will be back and say "I told you so." If I am wrong, I will also come back and eat pigs feet. :)

Book it!

I think we're both saying the same thing from the opposite direction. I see the way Tera took the standard KTR quests and actually found a way to make them even more boring will, by comparison with GW2's DEs, have gamers of the "future" decide that that's simply not good enough anymore. There's no reason for Bob the NPC to have to stand there with a "!" over his head waiting for people to interact with him so he can get his ten livers. From everyone. Always needing livers. Too bad not all the boars have livers. Sigh...  Anyhoo, this is the era when KTR questing and static worlds grinds to a halt. Everyone will realize that worlds can be alive, dynamic and eventful, and no one will have to settle for that anymore unless they choose to.

I for one will never have to settle again. GW2 single-handedly killed all other MMOs to me.

People say that about every game they are looking forward too.  I'll give GW2 a go, but unless you're new to the scene..... there's a HIGH probability it'll be a shadow of what you think it will be.

For me I'm hoping GW2's combat is better than Tera's......  I want dodging and blocking to be spot on... collision detection etc.

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295

yeah... Tera isn't the future. Generic quests, repetitive combat, high levels ganking low levels. It's one of the worst mmos I've ever played. SWTOR? Also not the future. Neither is the secret world. I love the secret world, but it's made for a niche market it seems. Its not for everyone. But it's the only interesting game that I've seen release.

Originally posted by arieste

Originally posted by lordathon

Btw, why for some people is so disturbing someone asks respect for their opinion? why is that?!

Because asking for respect is pointless.  Respect is earned.  If your opinion earns people's respect, you will have it.  If it doesn't, it won't.  Simple as that.

Regarding, TERA, i disagree with most of your post.  I found questing and NPC dialogue in general to be terrible.  It's an asian game though, so it's written for asian audiences.  I can only assume that people from easterns cultures find the setting / story / npcs to be acceptable.  I had the same problem with AION, it was just awful.  From your signature on the other hand, i see that AION is your favourite game.  I can definitely see how someone who enjoyed AION would like TERA, as it basically IS AION, only with more interactive combat.

I found the combat rather boring and clumsy personally,  but i am not a fan of "free-aim" combat mechanics in the first place.  And of course i only played the very early levels.  

Graphics looked good, but the art style was a bit over the top for me.  I prefer a bit more realistic.

Everyone should be given a base level of respect unless they are outright bashing people.  You should respect other people's opinions unless they are purposely trying to piss people off.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Angier2758

Book it!

People say that about every game they are looking forward too.  I'll give GW2 a go, but unless you're new to the scene..... there's a HIGH probability it'll be a shadow of what you think it will be.

For me I'm hoping GW2's combat is better than Tera's......  I want dodging and blocking to be spot on... collision detection etc.

If that's what you're looking for, then I think you will be disappointed with GW2's combat.

The dodging doesn't go by collisions.  Basically, if you dodge, you will simply not be hit by any attack...regardless of if it collides with you or not.  Tera's combat is actually closer to what you describe, everything being based on collisions.

GW2 is more like a hybrid between FPS combat and tab-target.  It has elements of both, and it also has a lot of ground targeting.  Tera is closer to FPS than MMORPG IMO.

Personally, I prefer GW2, but if you want something more akin to FPS combat than you may be disappointed.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

If that's what you're looking for, then I think you will be disappointed with GW2's combat.

The dodging doesn't go by collisions.  Basically, if you dodge, you will simply not be hit by any attack...regardless of if it collides with you or not.  Tera's combat is actually closer to what you describe, everything being based on collisions.

GW2 is more like a hybrid between FPS combat and tab-target.  It has elements of both, and it also has a lot of ground targeting.  Tera is closer to FPS than MMORPG IMO.

Personally, I prefer GW2, but if you want something more akin to FPS combat than you may be disappointed.

Yeah people can rip on Tera, but for me the combat is just spot on... like I can last second block and it will actually block.  The fighting is NOT boring by any means... maybe if you just stood still and spammed 1 attack.  I play a lancer and I've noticed a lot of depth with the abilities... like being able to change directions mid combo or abilities that can be stationary or allow you to move as a gap closer.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Oh no. The battle of the themeparks.

Its like watching 3 nerds fighting over who gets to be luke skywalker when they fake swordfight.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Your opinion is repected OP. One point; MMO's major differently than other genre's. MMO's cover a wide spectrum of gameplay elements into one. Planetside is an MMO, but it has FPS elements and barely uses a hotbar. Looking at several MMO's side by side, you can tell, day and night contrasts, that they are distinctly different. 

However, other genre's do have their differences. When you play an FPS you expect the left mouse/right trigger to fire. You expect a system that can tell you how much ammo you have left. Dont get me wrong, FPS's have the oddballs too. Minecraft is *kinda* considered an FPS, but putting it side-by-side with Call of Battlefield: Halo of war, you can tell they are different.

In short; MMO's vary greatly from themselves. So it's hard to determine the future for the genre overall. The only real ways to predict a future would be payment models, the way MMO's are developed and distributed. Example; EvE players view MMO experience far differently than Tera/WoW/TSW/TOR/. . . players. What they consider the future, might not be what you consider it as.  

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Amjoco

The more I recorded, the more I wanted to NOT send him anything like this. And its not the words that are disconcerting, it's just the entire conversations are just so 13ish. It's a real disappointment because I waited 2 weeks for the game in the mail and find out the community is terrible. The community is a huge part of any mmorpg and the moderators need to take control.

I'm only level 6 right now. I'm going to try another server and hopefully it will be better or this game, with all it's beautiful graphics will go on the shelf.

It was established in the BETA that the island of dawn and even most of the areas between 1-20 are troll bait, people just roll new characters to troll at those levels, as you get higher level the community improves more and more. Random people will ask to group, or you'll start conversation, people answer questions, none of the island of dawns famous..."alienware is the best"," WoW was the first MMO", or "TERA vs other games arguments"

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by Amjoco

The more I recorded, the more I wanted to NOT send him anything like this. And its not the words that are disconcerting, it's just the entire conversations are just so 13ish. It's a real disappointment because I waited 2 weeks for the game in the mail and find out the community is terrible. The community is a huge part of any mmorpg and the moderators need to take control.

I'm only level 6 right now. I'm going to try another server and hopefully it will be better or this game, with all it's beautiful graphics will go on the shelf.

It was established in the BETA that the island of dawn and even most of the areas between 1-20 are troll bait, people just roll new characters to troll at those levels, as you get higher level the community improves more and more. Random people will ask to group, or you'll start conversation, people answer questions, none of the island of dawns famous..."alienware is the best"," WoW was the first MMO", or "TERA vs other games arguments"

alienware is # 1 everyone knows this

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869

Tera is not going to do well. Once real press reviews come in (the only one so far being G4, which gave it a remarkably low score for an MMO considering how high they usually grade them compared to other sites) you will begin to see the same pattern. MMO comes out and sells well off the bat, then when people stop liking it after a couple of months for whatever reason the game starts to decline in subs and it eventually goes f2p. Having a low number of servers at launch only indicates the game is pretty much starting out in the phase just before f2p. The game has flown under the radar as well, so that won't help. Press sells games. It does not really matter if the game sells great and ends up with lower subs, because those "low subs" will still be significantly higher then the MMOS (Aka, Tera) that don't have a huge initial following. Not to mention that once the "okay" reviews come out from the more notable review sources people will start steering clear of the game based on those sites alone. I predict a path simular to Aion with this game, but with far less success (as has already happened) in the East.

Originally posted by hikaru77

http://tera.enmasse.com/server-status 

Thats tera server status, like 3 weeks after launch, and ¨recommended¨ mean ¨Low¨.   Yes tera is the future.

Recommended, medium or high have nothing to do with how many people are online at that current time, it's how many people have characters on that server I believe. Certain numbers determine "high", "medium" or "recommended".

The guild I am in is just a casual guild atm of about 250 players and 25-40 are online at any given time. That's a pretty good ratio.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I have to say that after playing a warrior on tera to level 55 so far, I cant see me ever going back to the traditional RPG styled combat ever again.

Ive always wonderd why I got so bored of traditional mmo's so quickly, this is definatly why.

The stunning graphics, silky smooth animation and suprisingly good story I was not expecting at all, and is just extra. 

It is developed in korea but it doesnt feel like it at all.

Just a shame Diablo 3 is upon us :D

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

If TERA is the future, then give me a second need to call a person here..

*picks up cell phone...bip bip bip bip bip...tuuuuuu...tuuuuuuuuuuu...tuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..

- Hello?

- Whos calling?

- Dock Brown, is that you?

- Yes. Whos this?

- Im in trouble Doc. Some guy here says TERA is the future!!

- Great Scott!! The future has beem altered. Hold on a moment im gonna go get Marty and..

- No Doc. There is no time. TERA is upn us. We need to go back and fix this one!

- Great Scott!! You are right. Im on the way. Need to find some trash to power the DeLorean. And, Clerigo?

- Yes Doc?

- We will be going to 1947 and have a chat with Mr. Goldsmith. Can you bring a copy of TERA so we can better explain this paradigma?

- It is still on beta Doc...

- Great Scott!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by Celcius

Tera is not going to do well. Once real press reviews come in (the only one so far being G4, which gave it a remarkably low score for an MMO considering how high they usually grade them compared to other sites) you will begin to see the same pattern. MMO comes out and sells well off the bat, then when people stop liking it after a couple of months for whatever reason the game starts to decline in subs and it eventually goes f2p. Having a low number of servers at launch only indicates the game is pretty much starting out in the phase just before f2p. The game has flown under the radar as well, so that won't help. Press sells games. It does not really matter if the game sells great and ends up with lower subs, because those "low subs" will still be significantly higher then the MMOS (Aka, Tera) that don't have a huge initial following. Not to mention that once the "okay" reviews come out from the more notable review sources people will start steering clear of the game based on those sites alone. I predict a path simular to Aion with this game, but with far less success (as has already happened) in the East.

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41035/USA/

lot lower box sales than I thought it would get

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Thats tera server status, like 3 weeks after launch, and ¨recommended¨ mean ¨Low¨.   Yes tera is the future.

Recommended, medium or high have nothing to do with how many people are online at that current time, it's how many people have characters on that server I believe. Certain numbers determine "high", "medium" or "recommended".

The guild I am in is just a casual guild atm of about 250 players and 25-40 are online at any given time. That's a pretty good ratio.

That makes no sense. Why would an MMO company state that "Population" means the total number of characters on a server? People make more then one character alot of the time and that is pretty much worthless information to the player. Eventually all servers would have "high" population regardless of the overall population, making the whole idea of the statistic being called "population" false. You seem to be grasping at straws here. Right now im looking at this in prime time and there are 2 high pop, 3 medium, and 6 low....that is pretty awful for a game this young. What this means to me is that most people ended up quitting in the starter zone or they started with too many servers for the small population they have.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I just didn't find the game to be anything special. Certainly not 49.99 plus sbuscription fee worthy, in my humble opinion.

That makes no sense. Why would an MMO company state that "Population" means the total number of characters on a server? People make more then one character alot of the time and that is pretty much worthless information to the player. Eventually all servers would have "high" population regardless of the overall population, making the whole idea of the statistic being called "population" false. You seem to be grasping at straws here. Right now im looking at this in prime time and there are 2 high pop, 3 medium, and 6 low....that is pretty awful for a game this young. What this means to me is that most people ended up quitting in the starter zone or they started with too many servers for the small population they have.

Try reading the page, i'm not grasping at straws. But thanks for the response and all.

Also here's Europes http://community.tera-europe.com/server-status.html

I don't know why they don't just have population the normal way but whatever...

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Not trolling about a title... just the game types.

What we are expecting is just what we all want to see and experience. Even when some of us dont want to say it.

- Excelent graphics

- Major excelence for the game engine

- great speed conection servers

- large community...

- no bugs (ok, those stupid walls...)

- Ok... those instanced territories are not so great. Really, on a Pk world with an instanced environment. what did u meant guys?

I think action play base for MMORPG  is for the moment the real thing. All the rest is just more of the same.

I know the questy base is a bit stupid, but is a way. Hopping for news from the eldest/eastern world, like always on this business.

I was hoping a bit of mix classes (hmm gw2, lol), but ok im "old school" and i wanted a more complicated game, but it's ok.

btw..im a 20+y gamer... just a bit respect for my opinion. ^-^

nice gaming

Edit: the SW in the title meant for "The Secret World", or you know what...

The future is it? Hmm...   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OXQypOAbdI

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by xposeidon

Originally posted by xposeidon

Um... how about immersive, interesting, detailed, complex, variety, choice, innovative, explorable, but above all... fun? I guess players are not expecting this anymore?

Yes, fun above all... it's a game. For me!

Right on! I was worried for a bit you didn't mention it!

Indeed, TERA is unfortunately cut from the same fabric as WoW, but with nice graphics and a better combat system. Do those two major points make it "the future of MMOs"? Certainly not.

Moving along :)

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Still don't see anywhere that it says "Population is based off number of characters on the server, not number of characters online". Keep grasping. Prove to me that this is not the same as every other mmo's server status page with something...not just trying to twist the phrasing of what it says on the page. (The US one) To clarify, the US server status page says that it "has a high number of characters,ect and may experience ques". This does not mean it is based off characters that are offline, it means that it is a moderately populated server and you may occasionally have a que since RIGHT NOW,it has a medium population. I know you want to try to consider it in a different context because you like the game and you want to see it succeed, but don't try to change data to try to cater to your argument. Simply put, Tera is not doing well, and will continue to not do well...then will go F2P. (Which is not always bad, but it should have been F2P at launch) The only reason people are even playing it right now is because D3/GW2/TSW/MOP are not out yet. Once those come out that game will fall flat on its face.

Still don't see anywhere that it says "Population is based off number of characters on the server, not number of characters online". Keep grasping. Prove to me that this is not the same as every other mmo's server status page with something...not just trying to twist the phrasing of what it says on the page. (The US one) To clarify, the US server status page says that it "has a high number of characters,ect and may experience ques". This does not mean it is based off characters that are offline, it means that it is a moderately populated server and you may occasionally have a que since RIGHT NOW,it has a medium population. I know you want to try to consider it in a different context because you like the game and you want to see it succeed, but don't try to change data to try to cater to your argument. Simply put, Tera is not doing well, and will continue to not do well...then will go F2P. (Which is not always bad, but it should have been F2P at launch) The only reason people are even playing it right now is because D3/GW2/TSW/MOP are not out yet. Once those come out that game will fall flat on its face.

For the En Masse page hover your mouse over the "medium" or "high" text and read.

I think it's stupid but there's nothing I can do about it, I wish they'd show the population the normal way. I'm playing the game, I see a decent amount of people wherever I go, i'm not grasping here...

The same servers have been high, medium and recommended for a week, never changing.

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

What we are expecting is just what we all want to see and experience. Even when some of us dont want to say it.

- Excelent graphics

- Major excelence for the game engine

- great speed conection servers

- large community...

- no bugs (ok, those stupid walls...)

- Ok... those instanced territories are not so great. Really, on a Pk world with an instanced environment. what did u meant guys?

I think action play base for MMORPG  is for the moment the real thing. All the rest is just more of the same.

I know the questy base is a bit stupid, but is a way. Hopping for news from the eldest/eastern world, like always on this business.

I was hoping a bit of mix classes (hmm gw2, lol), but ok im "old school" and i wanted a more complicated game, but it's ok.

btw..im a 20+y gamer... just a bit respect for my opinion. ^-^

nice gaming

Edit: the SW in the title meant for "The Secret World", or you know what...

You should have said that Tera is your future.. Its not the future for me for sure lol