Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Holy Moly super "kill 10x wolves" grind until eternity...

Comments

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by colddog04

TERA

True. Action. Combat. Trinity. Grind.

GW2.  

Casual.  Paradise.  

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by RebelScum99

TERA

GW2.  

Casual.  Paradise.  

The truth hurts.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

??? Satisfying quests in a variety of ways without a predetermined number from the internal quest hub 

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Originally posted by nolic1

Originally posted by RedKatana

Guild Wars 2 = fail fans who hate on Tera cause can't play their game even though they had to pay FULL PRICE for a shitty beta and become experiment pets for stress test and whatnot.

DO want some cheese with that whine I mean you sound like a kid whinning cause there being picked on. Its a game that it not what they say. It is a semi action combat game true action combat does not stop you from doing what ever such as dodging blocking and moving all at once. Also it does not stop you when trying to do a combat move not casting a spell that a little more understanding needing to stand still for. But using a skill should not stop you from moving.

Or you Gw2 fanbois can go back on GW2 forums and stop spouting off like tards all over every other game forum.We get it you l ike Gw2 most of us could give a crap less about it go post with the other fanbois  on that games forums.

So you explained combat in both games in your reply but tera is better cause you have to aim. hmm makes sense but its not action combat why because you said you cant block or dodge when casting or vise versa in a true action combat game you could do it all at once I am sorry but there is no true action combat in any mmo to date. What Tera has is a Semi action combat. DCUO has a more action combat to it because you can block and dodge in combat and use skills and fight almost  at the same time don't beleave me its F2P go try it then come and tell me it does not. As for GW2 you dont have to use tab-target if you dont want to and saying its a button masher so is Tera hell all games are button mashers why cause you mash butttons ethier mouse buttons or keyboard.

So just to sum up your points:

A game's combat is better if you can dodge/block and attack at the same time, risk-reward and strategy be damned.  Well great, but that definition then you can go ahead and say that a game like WoW has the most action-oriented combat since the dodge and blocks are built right in as you are attacking.  Do you see how silly that sounds?

And as far as you not needing to use the tab-target if you don't want in GW2...how is that a point in their favor?  You still have an easy-mode style of combat available to you.  Who wouldn't use that to gain an advantage in a tough fight?  

Some of you guys don't have a clue.

Originally posted by rznkain

Guild Wars 2 = fail fans who hate on Tera cause can't play their game even though they had to pay FULL PRICE for a shitty beta and become experiment pets for stress test and whatnot.

DO want some cheese with that whine I mean you sound like a kid whinning cause there being picked on. Its a game that it not what they say. It is a semi action combat game true action combat does not stop you from doing what ever such as dodging blocking and moving all at once. Also it does not stop you when trying to do a combat move not casting a spell that a little more understanding needing to stand still for. But using a skill should not stop you from moving.

Or you Gw2 fanbois can go back on GW2 forums and stop spouting off like tards all over every other game forum.We get it you l ike Gw2 most of us could give a crap less about it go post with the other fanbois  on that games forums.

I can't help but feel like it's the TERA fans, at least in this thread, that are the ones being hostile. For instance, read the red part.

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

I can't help but feel like it's the TERA fans, at least in this thread, that are the ones being hostile. For instance, read the red part.

Nope not hostile at all just sick and tired of almost every mmog thread about any game other than GW2 that a Gw2 fanbois have to come on and hijack the threads talking about it.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

You can alt click a person and target them but if you're not aiming at them, you're not going to hit them.

In tab-targetting, say you're ranged, and you have someone targetted, you run away, turn around and use an ability and it's going to go to your target.  In TERA it's going to go wherever you're facing.

The only reason you have to alt target anybody in TERA is to whisper to them or inspect them.  It plays no part in combat.

Seriously?  You GW2 guys don't even understand the fundamental way TERA is played.

Heh, I've played both. And I understand both.

Like I said, TERA does have aiming when it comes to certain ranged abilities. I'm not saying it doesn't. What I am saying is two-fold:

1) Those ranged attacks are the only place where that x-hare really differentiates TERA's aiming form GW2. It's true that tabbing will throw your spells at where the target was standing. However, that doesn't guaruntee a hit. Period. In TERA, the reticle usually does guaruntee a hit. For one the range is shorter, and for 2 certain skills 'lock on' if firing on a target in the reticle. It's not like that's all that tough to do, tbh.

2) You guys are talking as if every class in TERA needs the x-hare. It's only for certain ranged attacks. Period. If I were to hop on a slayer, and aim my cursor at the ground, and hit 'slash' it would hit whatever's in front of me, regardless of where my camera is looking. If I were to hop on a sorcerer, and aim up towards the sky, and cast 'Fire Bomb', it would hit about ~10 meteres infront of my character. Many of the ranged attacks don't use the cursor but to give a general direction for the attack (sorcerer), or for a 'lock on'.

I'm not claiming that the games don't play differently, but seriously you guys are starting to sound like you believe if you slap a targetting reticle on something it automatically makes it more challenging than anything else. It's not Battlefield. Hell, it's not even Skyrim (and the aimin in that game isn't even all that hard). When it comes to FPS mechanics, both games have the bare minimum of aiming involved. Whether or not you hit something has far more to do w/ positioning and general direction, than on your crosshair (or lack thereof) in both games.

TERA

GW2.  

Casual.  Paradise.  

The truth hurts.

I know it does, man.  But you still might be able to have fun in GW2 even with the casual gameplay.

Nope not hostile at all just sick and tired of almost every mmog thread about any game other than GW2 that a Gw2 fanbois have to come on and hijack the threads talking about it.

If you'll notice, it was RedKatana that started talking about GW2. The problem seems to be that TERA fans can't stop talking about GW2.

TERA

GW2.  

Casual.  Paradise.  

The truth hurts.

I know it does, man.  But you still might be able to have fun in GW2 even with the casual gameplay.

Definitely. I've already had a ton of fun in the game. Especially in WvW PvP. But I don't consider the gameplay casual. I think it really does have a solid amount of depth that I'm interested to experiment more with.

But you are right about one thing, GW2 does look to be a casual's paradise.

• ElVisitanteElVisitante Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by stayontarget

I have a question if you don't mind. 

What exactly do you think you will be doing in D3/GW2/Secret World?  Yeah I thought so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6CyqGJHTjes

Thats what you will be doing in GW2 so I wouldn't ask lol.

But for D3 , yeah quests won't be much better.

So basically, you have to wait a while just to get an "event" to go kill a deer? Which then results in a cutscene which no one bothered to take the time to watch except the guy taking the video?

It's a good thing GW2 is a one-time fee, because otherwise no one at all would take the time to watch these scenes. I mean, how often do you do watch, say, your neighbor mow his lawn on a Saturday morning? If watching your neighbor go about his life is boring in real life, where we do boring things every day, why would gamers be expected to watch some complete stranger go about his daily life either, when the purpose of a game is to move away from mundane things and promote exciting fantasy action?

Originally posted by ElVisitante

What exactly do you think you will be doing in D3/GW2/Secret World?  Yeah I thought so.

So basically, you have to wait a while just to get an "event" to go kill a deer? Which then results in a cutscene which no one bothered to take the time to watch except the guy taking the video?

No, you can just move onto another area or explore or WvW or do your personal story or do a heart quest or do some structured pvp.

Waiting for an event to start would just be stupid.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

So just to sum up your points:

A game's combat is better if you can dodge/block and attack at the same time, risk-reward and strategy be damned.  Well great, but that definition then you can go ahead and say that a game like WoW has the most action-oriented combat since the dodge and blocks are built right in as you are attacking.  Do you see how silly that sounds?

And as far as you not needing to use the tab-target if you don't want in GW2...how is that a point in their favor?  You still have an easy-mode style of combat available to you.  Who wouldn't use that to gain an advantage in a tough fight?  

Some of you guys don't have a clue.

Just to point something out. Dodging + attacking in GW2 is a method for cancelling an attack. They don't both fire at the same time. It's sometimes used as a tactic to 'fake' people out, or trick them into thinking a big attack is about to hit.

It sounds like you are confusing this with the ability to dodge whenever you want while attacking (which neither games let you do). Furthermore dodging + attacking has absolutely nothing to do w/ strategy or risk-reward. Strategy is pre-emptive, dodging / attacking is active. Risk-reward is also an entirely different subject.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Well if Teras so grand a game why are you here chating it up instead of playing the oh mighty god game you all spouting off that it is hmmm maybe because its not and you cant stand to sit a play it for hours on end because the grind is driving you nuts. Or are you mad that maybe some of our comments are right. See that whay I dont understand we give our opinions on the game and yes I do own Tera but do not have it installed right now because I got other games I ma playing and di have it on my system for about a week and yes have a lvl 36 slayer and still feel the game lacks alot but I am just giving my honest opinion. Yes I did by GW2 a year and a half ago when Gamestop put it on there list of coming games so I bought it before I knew about all this stuff I do now. Is it the holy game nope but it does do things alot better in my opinion then any mmo out right now except maybe combat cause I think DCUO has the best for an action mmo. And yes I sub to that game as well plus EQ2 and I have accounts in almost every mmo out right now.

I also play Fallen Earth, Darkfall, FFXI, CoX, Phantasy Star Universe and well about 25 more not all at once but 2 or 3 a week. Right now I am playing at this moment APB and loving it even though its not a very big game I like the game play. I am also waiting to test TSW tomorrow and then D3 next tuesday. So I feel I can give my opinion on games thanks. So calling me a GW2 sure am I am a Fan of MMO's but I will give my opinion on a game when ever I want.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

No, you can just move onto another area or explore or WvW or do your personal story or do a heart quest or do some structured pvp.

So then, you're saying that it's stupid to watch the little scenes that precede events too. Because that's what you do if you wait for the event to start. Okay.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Movement makes for interactive combat, not aiming. The ability to block and dodge set the stage for action. It's the defining mechanics of games like god of war and devil may cry. You can target all you want in GW2, if you don't  have a good position the creature will simply dodge or block.  I"ve never heard the previously mentioned games get downlplayed because they don't have cross hairs. Quite the contrary, they are toted as some of the best action games of our generation.  As a matter of fact, i can't really name any non FPS games with cross hairs that can be toted as great action games. Yet, all the great action games I've heard of, have a dodge and block feature.  

Quests and adventures are quest and adventures, it's the presentation that makes it unique.  Killing 10x wolves just sounds stupid. Never had anyuone tell me this in an RPG.  I'd rather just have a task to do with multiple ways to achieve it and then accomplish the main goal at the end.  That's classic RPG style.  

I know a lot of folk who play MMOs hate RPGs.  

Well if Teras so grand a game why are you here chating it up instead of playing the oh mighty god game you all spouting off

Maybe because with all the GW2 fanbois running rampant someone has to stop them.

So then, you're saying that it's stupid to watch the little scenes that precede events too. Because that's what you do if you wait for the event to start. Okay.

Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. Why would you sit there and wait an undetermined amount of time for something to start up when you could be playing the game and do something else? You could even explore and find other events.

I guess it's not stupid if your goal is to see every single piece of lore and dialogue the game has to offer. I tend to think that's a very small amount of players.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Well if Teras so grand a game why are you here chating it up instead of playing the oh mighty god game you all spouting off

Maybe because with all the GW2 fanbois running rampant someone has to stop them.

It's funny, really. You see the same handful of GW2 fanboys posting the same misinformed regurgitated bs in every single thread.

They claim to hate TERA yet can't seem to stop talking about it. I venture to say they have the TERA general forums bookmarked.

Have people saying "Oh I played till 56" and then say some bogus crap like every melee class plays the same. Ok, that's believeable.

Originally posted by dontadow

Killing 10x wolves just sounds stupid. Never had anyuone tell me this in an RPG.

Wow you must have never played an MMORPG ever. Nearly every MMO with quests since the beginning has had this.

Originally posted by dontadow

I'd rather just have a task to do with multiple ways to achieve it and then accomplish the main goal at the end.  That's classic RPG style.

Except it's not. If it was classic RPG style, then what GW2 is doing wouldn't be considered revolutionary at all. It's considered revolutionary precisely because it's NOT classic RPG style.

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Though this thread is not about combat, here's my thoughts between GW2 and TERA:

TERA = Higher skill cap (timing and aim matters much more than GW2)

GW2 = More strategic (Skill usage, builds and positioning matter much more than in TERA)

Since it's the reason this thread was started, I would also like to provide my conclusions from playing TERA beta and listening to people argue for their game on these forums.

It is absolutely impossible to enjoy TERA if you believe quests are an important part of the overall gameplay experience. Those who enjoy TERA see quests as a grinding activity, a necessary evil, or something that is an unavoidable blight that it's best not to look at too closely. They do not believe quests are part of the game, but rather something they must do to experience the game. They are either unable to abstract, and see combat as gameplay with quests as breaks, or they are have abstracted beyond questing to see the meta game of leveling up as gameplay. If this sounds like you, and you like action combat with a much higher skill cap than most MMOs, then TERA might be the game for you.

However, do not listen to people who say quests in TERA are no worse than any other game. TERA simply has one of the very worst plotted, written and paced questing system that exist in the MMO market today, including Korean FTP grinders.

Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. Why would you sit there and wait an undetermined amount of time for something to start up when you could be playing the game and do something else? You could even explore and find other events.

I guess it's not stupid if your goal is to see every single piece of lore and dialogue the game has to offer. I tend to think that's a very small amount of players.

Well, if you're just supposed to go out and play the game and not listen to the dialogue/lore, why not just play TERA? For all the talk from GW2 fans about immersion and dynamism, it seems that even though they cite GW2's immersive world as a huge feature they just ignore it in game and go do the usual MMO stuff, like kill some of this or some of that.

Honestly, the "killing x trees" 12 times in a row wasn't even the part that bothered me the most. It was the fetch/deliver a message quests that almost drove me through a wall.

Go to this guy, now go to the guy standing across from me, now talk to me again, now talk to that lady over there, now walk back to that camp to the person that told you to talk to me... and on and on and on like that.

Those were the quests that truly blew my mind. I'm used to "kill x trees" for a shitty reason by now, but the amount of walking back and forth for a piece of the story that was weak at best was just annoying.

Well, if you're just supposed to go out and play the game and not listen to the dialogue/lore, why not just play TERA? For all the talk from GW2 fans about immersion and dynamism, it seems that even though they cite GW2's immersive world as a huge feature they just ignore it in game and go do the usual MMO stuff, like kill some of this or some of that.

Yeah, in the end, in PvE in GW2 you kill stuff. That is basically what PvE boils down to if you boil it down long enough.