Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the game really that gear dependent?

CitalkayCitalkay Member Posts: 141

The idea of the game being heavily gear dependent is making me worry quite a bit.

Can anyone confirm that the game is heavily gear dependent?

Comments

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

confirm

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

Not so much gear dependant as level dependant. A person 3 levels higher then you should be able to beat you every time hands down. But a same level person with much better gear can easily be beaten if you are the better player. This is because of the way the combat works in this game. Gear cannot make up for lack of skill in a skill based action combat system.

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211
    Originally posted by citalkay

The idea of the game being heavily gear dependent is making me worry quite a bit.

If you compare it to other mmorpg then its not heavily gear dependent cause its a action combat so your skills as a gamer matter the most. From videos ive seen of high level soloing dungeons the character was very very geared up well so defently you need good gear.
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

At max level, yeah, it's probably more gear dependent, although I'm not there yet so I can't verify for sure.  During the leveling process though, it seems more level dependent than gear dependent.  The scaling in this game is kind of whacky, so if you are even two levels over a mob, BAM or otherwise, you'll probably have a a good shot at killing it.  Same goes for PvP.  Even a 3 level difference against a player is going to give you a massive edge.    

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by citalkay

Yes it is gear dependent and in PvP it is unbelievable how much it is Lvl dependent and not player skill dependent

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by NeoZcar2

Not so much gear dependant as level dependant. A person 3 levels higher then you should be able to beat you every time hands down. But a same level person with much better gear can easily be beaten if you are the better player. This is because of the way the combat works in this game. Gear cannot make up for lack of skill in a skill based action combat system.

that would hold true for any game

and if you're going to pvp, i'm assuming you'll need to level too...gear makes a huge difference in Tera. my 42 archer started killing even level or higher mobs way more easily once i got a good bow and armor. it made a much larger impact than i recall from other MMOs.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Perception. You will get a lot of players here telling you how tera is more about "skill".

But in reality when you say tera is about skill, it's a match between you and a semi aware girlfriend of mine who likes to try out my lvl60 char for her first 5 minutes ever touching this game.

If a full geared guy need 4 hits on you while healing the double ammount with his hit than YOU and you need 12 hits, with half the healing and chain stunning posibility.....

Go figure how the average match will turn out.

*Hint* Smash - stun, knockdown,2x crits, dead. Glorious 2 seconds of a fight. This is something all those fluffy tera videos are not showing unless you dive into the korea section of youtube's tera part.

Of course it's not that much of a big deal since here in the West you can more easely enchant, but in the contrary this means until you get to the point of enchanting and sticking all those neat BAM crystals in your armor / weapon you are not facing 1 out of 100 "über" gear guys but more like 40 out of 100.

Until then, best rush to max or it will get ugly. (being one shot at lvl58+).

Originally posted by skydiver12

Perception. You will get a lot of players here telling you how tera is more about "skill".

But in reality when you say tera is about skill, it's a match between you and a semi aware girlfriend of mine who likes to try out my lvl60 char for her first 5 minutes ever touching this game.

If a full geared guy need 4 hits on you while healing the double ammount with his hit than YOU and you need 12 hits, with half the healing and chain stunning posibility.....

Go figure how the average match will turn out.

*Hint* Smash - stun, knockdown,2x crits, dead. Glorious 2 seconds of a fight. This is something all those fluffy tera videos are not showing unless you dive into the korea section of youtube's tera part.

Of course it's not that much of a big deal since here in the West you can more easely enchant, but in the contrary this means until you get to the point of enchanting and sticking all those neat BAM crystals in your armor / weapon you are not facing 1 out of 100 "über" gear guys but more like 40 out of 100.

Until then, best rush to max or it will get ugly. (being one shot at lvl58+).

Those kind of fights only happen if you are terrible. I have had fights on my warrior where I was up against a Slayer/Zerker combo and a Lancer Priest combo and won both of those 2v1 fights simply because every class has damage avoidance abilities and if you know what your doing and use them properly and your opponent doesnt you win. Also I might add these were not your semi aware girlfriend. One group was a rival guild we were at war with who tried to gank me and ended up giving us 2 points towards the war. The other pair was a 3 pack of PKers who tried to jump me while I was soloing a BAM. One got one shot by the bam and I killed the other 2 while kiting the BAM... Skill will always mean more then Gear in this game. Don't get me wrong there are so many bad players in this game. So many people who need to go back to WoW or SWTOR where they can just tab target on someone and button mash. I have never seen a game where I can fight a caster and because they suck so bad in 5 minutes of my kiting them on my alt mystic they never land a single ability on me.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

It's an mmoRPG. Not an FPS. Gear should always matter.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by skydiver12

It's not so much perception as it is playstyle. If you are a PvE player, the game is more about the action during combat. Being undergeared - something you'd actually have to work at doing since quests keep your gear updated - isn't a problem.  In PvP, however, gear is critical.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Xasapis

I'd change 'gear' to 'stats'. Gear is just one means to that end.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

It should matter, but it should never be the deciding factor. Even in tabletop RPG's knowing your character and what they could and could not counter *ie "Skill" had more weight in teh game then what gear your character had equipped. 

The importance of gear in MMORPGs is a dirty habit developers got into because of WoW... Because WoW didnt understand that EQ originally wasnt as gear dependant as organization and skill dependant. Then WoW changed the basic ideas of MMORPGs for the worse and everyone fell in line. 

Tera and GW2 have both shown that skill is and can be a deciding factor to build a game around. That you can make a game where gear is less important.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Best mmoRPG and best original PvP MMO gear didn't mean anything  - UO.

Your statement is false.

Should have added a "to me" at the end there, lots of us with a very different perspective.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

i totally agree to a small degree gear dose matter ...just to get off the topic a bit..imo i see this game moving f2p soon just because the way the death system works...**looks in his crystal ball**   " i c cash shops soon with potions you can buy for instantly riseing from the dead"

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by NeoZcar2

Those kind of fights only happen if you are terrible. I have had fights on my warrior where I was up against a Slayer/Zerker combo and a Lancer Priest combo and won both of those 2v1 fights simply because every class has damage avoidance abilities and if you know what your doing and use them properly and your opponent doesnt you win. Also I might add these were not your semi aware girlfriend. One group was a rival guild we were at war with who tried to gank me and ended up giving us 2 points towards the war. The other pair was a 3 pack of PKers who tried to jump me while I was soloing a BAM. One got one shot by the bam and I killed the other 2 while kiting the BAM... Skill will always mean more then Gear in this game. Don't get me wrong there are so many bad players in this game. So many people who need to go back to WoW or SWTOR where they can just tab target on someone and button mash. I have never seen a game where I can fight a caster and because they suck so bad in 5 minutes of my kiting them on my alt mystic they never land a single ability on me.

Funny how you try to deny my point by exactly making it. If you two vs 1 won a fight your opponents clearly lacked in level, gear or both and most of it basic understanding of the game.

Besides, i can assume you have a lvl60 in korea / japan or even yet in US/NA? Or are you really judging the itemisation of TERA of your lvl20 fights against people who are not the norm`?

Are you rally trying to pull off the story of a full gold epic guy having issues even hitting your godlike presence even once in 5 minutes and selling it us as "the norm" because you are so skilled?

Originally posted by BadSpock

Best mmoRPG and best original PvP MMO gear didn't mean anything  - UO.

Your statement is false.

Should have added a "to me" at the end there, lots of us with a very different perspective.

The same could apply to you, since your claim about UO is a personal opinion.  

Originally posted by odinsrath

i totally agree to a small degree gear dose matter ...just to get off the topic a bit..imo i see this game moving f2p soon just because the way the death system works...**looks in his crystal ball**   " i c cash shops soon with potions you can buy for instantly riseing from the dead"

Would be useless since there is an NPC in each spawn point town that fully restores stamina with ingame cash. There are also potions that do the same thing.

It's more of an elaborate way to make people take small breaks from gaming, stretch their legs etc.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Tera's PvP goes something like this Level>Skill>Gear

Even if some one only need 4 hits to kill you with Tera if your skilled you can dodge/block majorty of them against less skilled players. Ofc if your skill are similar than skill thats when gear start to kick in.

And i have a lvl 60 and i pvp good amount of people in my guild and other. I held my own just fine against people with full +6-9 with my full +0 set.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Even if some one only need 4 hits to kill you with Tera if your skilled you can dodge/block majorty of them against less skilled players. Ofc if your skill are similar than skill thats when gear start to kick in.

And i have a lvl 60 and i pvp good amount of people in my guild and other. I held my own just fine against people with full +6-9 with my full +0 set.

Damn man what's the secret to leveling up so fast? I play about 3-4 hrs a day and I'm only level 37 :/

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

Would be useless since there is an NPC in each spawn point town that fully restores stamina with ingame cash. There are also potions that do the same thing.

It's more of an elaborate way to make people take small breaks from gaming, stretch their legs etc.

im talking about how people saying its a pain when they are in a dungen and they died..i hear when you die no1 can rez you ..so at times its like a 10min run back to the grp..idk..its what i hear

Originally posted by xposeidon

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Damn man what's the secret to leveling up so fast? I play about 3-4 hrs a day and I'm only level 37 :/

Same here.  I'm amazed at how fast some people can level.  

• CitalkayCitalkay Member Posts: 141

im talking about how people saying its a pain when they are in a dungen and they died..i hear when you die no1 can rez you ..so at times its like a 10min run back to the grp..idk..its what i hear

You can be ressed.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Not bashing Tera but if gear has no effect on PvP then why have it if the game is based on skill. Makes no sense sorry and yes even in beta playing on a PvP server there was alot of ganking going on in Lumbertown even with switching channels luckly I was in a group there and we got past the gankers and got our quests done so we could lvl. But any game that has the armor enhancement where you plus the gear and add things to it like mods the game becomes more gear dependent then just skill. Skill based pvp is more along the lines well I haven't found a game that was except GW1 there was one other Fury or something but it was closed down and fast. 

So saying this game is skill based only if you and the person you are fighting are on completely level ground gear and lvl wise saying a person can beat some one with in so many lvls isnt going to happen because the game has to many variations in it to be possible. I at lvl 15 could one shot a lvl 12 but a lvl 16 could 2 shot me. In a game of skill it would be more equal in a 5 lvl differance like in most games and at a 10 lvl differance it would be over in one hit almost. not a 2 or 3 lvl differance.

This game will be at max lvl a min max game when it comes to pvp to be the best you will need one the best gear and two the best set up of said gear and skills. No amount of skill will be needed cause gear is a major player in and yes this is almost a fact all asian mmo's. Go play any asian game ethier F2P or P2P and you will see how much gear plays in them they make them so gear driven it will make you sick. Dont beleave me wait untill players figure out how to do all the mods and stuff like enhancing gear to be +12 and have all the modfs set up perfect and it won't take long about 3 or 4 days after they reach max they will be set because this game has no CS so it will be major easy mode to do.

Yes been there done that in almost asian games thats why they make so much money on F2P because there built around modding your gear and Tera is no differant when it comes to this. So when everyones at max lvl will it be equal nope sorry because there will be people that figure out how to enhance gear to ungodly lvl's look at Perfect World or even Aion and you will see the end gamers all decked in uber modded gear. If you dont think so in 6 months come back and prove me wrong and I will not post in the forums again.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

Both healers can rezz and all classes can use ressurection scrolls (to ressurect others).

Mystic got a self + one other self rezz too.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

You can be ressed and the run back should only be 5mins unless your load super slowly, 30s to run to healer to get stamia and teleport to nearest outpost. And maybe 4mins or so to run to the dungeon and back to the spot you were at. Unless you went to the dungeon early w/o knowing there it is than thats your own fault.