Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkness Falls. Heroes Rise. 100% Unlock is awful.

GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

As much as I love the Diablo series, and am eagerly awaiting D3, the style and animation of this video just feels like it pisses on the name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LEAPxgMCEA8#!

This honestly makes me wonder if the rest of the game after the OB playable areas will be as good as I hope, if this is what they're putting out to advertise to kids.

You can say whatever you want about D2's game mechanics and all that, but the cutscenes were amazing, and I wish they tried to capture the essence of those instead of this garbage.

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

I thought it was pretty good actually. I know it isn't the same high quality cinematics the others had, but you know it's just taking a step in a different direction.

• ShizaxxxShizaxxx Member Posts: 86

The story itself was great! I don't see what was childish about that. 

The animations are..different, and I'm pretty sure they are easier to make than the ones in D2, which is why they went with it.

I agree with you tho - I prefer the D2 animations, but the story is just as good.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

I think its a nice video and that does not mean that the cinematics of D3 will be catoons like these

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

Unworthy of the name Diablo.

Cheap movie, suitable for a F2P crap title.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Your opinion I guess.  I thought it was freaking amazing.  I am a fan of Aeon Flux though.  Still the overall reception of it is incredibly positive.  I can't expect the same here though with how much hate goes around.

It is simply a backstory into D3 done with Peter Chung at the helm.  They have stated numerous times they love getting other artists viewpoints into Diablo 3 and how they are decidedly not Blizzard art.  Same with the char designs on the reveal site done by Brom.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

It's a side-project that Blizzard worked on with Titmouse to create a unique animated short about a piece of Diablo lore.

It has nothing to do with the ingame cinematics, which are the same high quality Blizzard cinematics that we all know and love.

Some people blow everything out of proportion these days, ridiculous.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Why is there cartoons in my Diablo? :(

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

The animated short was alright, though I would've preferred a cinematic style piece. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by Kost

It's a side-project that Blizzard worked on with Titmouse to create a unique animated short about a piece of Diablo lore.

It has nothing to do with the ingame cinematics, which are the same high quality Blizzard cinematics that we all know and love.

I'm not talking about the cinematics quality of the game, I'm talking about bad decision like this animation. I am not sure if they'll be able to pull things off as well as I hope if the actual dev team thinks this is "cool."

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by doragon86

The animated short was alright, though I would've preferred a cinematic style piece. 

Agreed.

Promoting to kids?  This is Peter Chung, who did Aeon Flux.  Fans of that are mostly in their 30's.  They simply give numerous artists a chance to paint Diablo lore in their light from various authors, artists like Brom, and animationists like Peter Chung.  This is a pretty cool concept, and they like this because it is not like Blizzards view or portrayal of the lore.  It does not in any way effect Diablo 3 development or style.

They said, "It would be cool to have animation short to show off this back end lore in addition to all we are doing."  Then they make it happen.  It is an addition to the universe that some may not like, but it doesn't effect anything to do with Diablo 3.  People will bitch about anything...

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

Nothing to do with hating Diablo, I purchased the game today and I think it's great, can't wait for release.

But how can anyone prefer this over a real high quality cinematic is beyond me.

I am not discussing the story or anything, I just feel it's a step back from what Blizzard got us used to, that's all.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Can't have realistic promotions or trailers , might scare off the little ones.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

that was awesome, all they are doing is sharing a bit of lore. seriously you people will nitpick at anything.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by Gajari

Originally posted by Kost

I'm not talking about the cinematics quality of the game, I'm talking about bad decision like this animation. I am not sure if they'll be able to pull things off as well as I hope if the actual dev team thinks this is "cool."

Partnering with the creator of Aeon Flux to produce a Diablo short in order to showcase some lore in a unique way is by no means a bad decision.

BTW if you care about lore and how this gives some vital insite read below an excerpt from the Book of Cain.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

The Prophecy (How it's printed in the Book of Cain):

...And, at the End of Days, Wisdom shall be lost

as Justice falls upon the world of men.

Valor shall turn to Wrath--

and all Hope will be swallowed by Despair.

Death, at last, shall spread its wings over all--

as Fate lies shattered forever.

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

I liked it ;).  But good digital movies does not make a good game, just look at SWTOR ;(.

• styles74styles74 Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by ProfRed

Promoting to kids?  This is Peter Chung, who did Aeon Flux.  Fans of that are mostly in their 30's.  They simply give numerous artists a chance to paint Diablo lore in their light from various authors, artists like Brom, and animationists like Peter Chung.  This is a pretty cool concept, and they like this because it is not like Blizzards view or portrayal of the lore.  It does not in any way effect Diablo 3 development or style.

They said, "It would be cool to have animation short to show off this back end lore in addition to all we are doing."  Then they make it happen.  It is an addition to the universe that some may not like, but it doesn't effect anything to do with Diablo 3.  People will bitch about anything...

Couldn't agree more.  You heard the same pissing and moaning about the Brom artwork on the classes. 

Kids these days...

- John Wooden

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Not really my bag but I guess fans of what's his face will get a kick out of it, not bad for a freebie though.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Matter of taste

The animation is done by the guy that made crittically aclaimed "Aeon Flux"

So, Blizz went and payed for the best.

Now...how you feel about 2d classic animation...well that is the mater of taste.

• omegadethh7omegadethh7 Member Posts: 29

Why is it childish, on youtube you need to sign in to watch it because it contains blood and gore and you must be 18+

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

/sigh

Welcome to WoWablo.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• omegadethh7omegadethh7 Member Posts: 29

and it has really goood looking art, you try drawing like that. i actaully think its the other way around, you guys are too childish for it. this is how you guys are acting:

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by omegadethh7

and it has really goood looking art, you try drawing like that. i actaully think its the other way around, you guys are too childish for it. this is how you guys are acting:

Pretty much this. There are those who have made their minds up that nothing about D3 will be worthy of their time. Now they focus their rage on the newest information: one beautiful piece of animation.

/awestruck by the animation.............. and the haters

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    People that complain about things that are childish, are usually children trying to convince themselves they are adults.

And lol at animation being considered childish when this is made by the Aeon Flux people and cartoons were originally for adults. I guess by these kids logic, Akira is childish too.