Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMG!! £49.99 for Digital Edition... [POLL]

F5MinutesF5Minutes Member Posts: 59

Does anyone else think that £49.99(UK) is.. well.. just a tad over priced?

I knoooooooow Guild wars is not just 'another' mmorpg,

But £49.99 just for the online Digital version is outrageous!

Thoughts on the matter??

Before posting, remember.. not everyone has a wallet full of cash, or parents to buy games for them.

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Yes and prob the main reason im not buying it.. that is just a stupid price to sell a game for..

Will wait until its cheaper in a sale or somithng..

• FyronovaFyronova Member Posts: 36

I don't think it's overpriced, most games nowadays and even in the past are in the same price range. At least it's free monthly.

If you can't scrounge that money, there's always prostitution.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by F5Minutes

Does anyone else think that £49.99(UK) is.. well.. just a tad over priced?

I knoooooooow Guild wars is not just 'another' mmorpg,

But £49.99 just for the online Digital version is outrageous!

Thoughts on the matter??

Before posting, remember.. not everyone has a wallet full of cash, or parents to buy games for them.

Look, i understand where you're coming from, but this has pretty much been the standard price now for a while with brand new releases, boxed or not.  I do wish these games would launch for around 40 US dollars, but they don't so i pony up the cash.

I have not seen any game retail for £50 ever..

Most expensive has been £39.99 and to me thats too expensive as well..

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

omg we went over this already.

but il explain.

I find the pricing to be bizar asswell, but yesterday i talked to a m8 of mine wich is in the game selling buisiness.

The reason why those digitals are priced as normal games wich would be shipped is for the sole reason of selling regular copy's. If arenanet would lower the price on their digital copys there would not be a gamestore in the world able to sell the regular copys because they would be more expensive. Basicly ruining the economy gamedistributers are profiting from.

so yeah. just buy it lads...

edit: oh and as far as the price goes. (im in the same boat as you OP  55 euro's) But youl have more fun then in a single player game (time spend) + you dont have to sub and can always log back in.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

fine for me.

still less than i spent on SWTOR, WOW, or AOC.

• F5MinutesF5Minutes Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by Fyronova

I don't think it's overpriced, most games nowadays and even in the past are in the same price range. At least it's free monthly.

Guild Wars.. lets call it.. 1, NEVER cost £49.99 for the digital version.

Also.. what did you gain from the prostitution comment?

This was a mature thread until you typed into it.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

A few years back apartments in central Stockholm were given away. Now they cost $300000-$3000000.

Also, a few years back playing video games was a niche.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

I think Amazon and other retailers will sell it cheaper.

It is the same with Diablo 3 which digitally costs €60, but would be cheaper for me to import it from the UK (about €47).

I have though no idea why digital, the one without box and delivery, costs the most?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Oh, not one of these threads again!? 

I'll start. There is no subscription fee. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Play.com sells it for £39.99 

• F5MinutesF5Minutes Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by Amjoco

Weldone.. very observant of you.

But sadly.. thats not my point.

As to people going.. Oooooh, We've been over this already..

I am truely.. truely sorry that I cannot be on every thread you are,

I am also sorry that I do not wish to revive a dead thread and have people cry at me for doing so.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

just to be clear,  £50 is roughly about $75 - $80 .. the average retail price of a PC game in the UK is around £20 - £30,  although there are a number of places that will charge you more. The question is, is the game worth £50, and bearing in mind there are microtransactions associated with the game.. is this acceptable? Personally i've never paid that much for a game, nor shall i be changing that any time soon, especially as there is a very good chance that when the game is finally released, it will be available for a much more acceptable £30 ($45 - $50) image

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by F5Minutes

Originally posted by Amjoco

Weldone.. very observant of you.

But sadly.. thats not my point.

As to people going.. Oooooh, We've been over this already..

I am truely.. truely sorry that I cannot be on every thread you are,

I am also sorry that I do not wish to revive a dead thread and have people cry at me for doing so.

And I'm not flaming you at all and I understand you're upset with the price. If you think it is too high then you probably aren't the first with the same thoughts. Use the search feature. :) 

edit: sorry for my little rant. It is my first cup of coffee and it is 5:00am. I will just not read this topic! I'm a genious! lol

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Also I have beta tested this in clsoed beta and i know its not worth £50 or even £40 but thats my opinion...

Still i think no matter how good the game is ts never gonna be worth £50($80)

• MangaMaidenMangaMaiden Member Posts: 180

As someone else already pointed out, no subsription fee. It will be overly cheaper in the long run compared to the current pay to play games where you have to buy the box then keep buying more to play it. I had no problems with the price as I saved up for it ages ago and it was being speculated for a while, so no surprises in cost really.

So... over all opinion. I don't think the price is too much and the price will probably drop by release as there will be no betas and headstarts (but thats all speculation of course ;) image)

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191

Originally posted by Caldrin

You never player subscription MMO? No WoW or anything? Plenty of people did and they pay a 120$ or something YEARLY for a game. Just imagine that the game is a normal priced game with 20$ 'life time subsciption package' included ;)

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Fyronova

Most games are not in the same price range for UK gamers. The US version is priced at what 'most games' are being priced at these days, but the UK version is seriously overpriced.

Arenanet know this too, which is why they decided to use heavy handed region locking for the game. If UK players were able to order the US version they would be getting it for £35-40 which is the current going rate for AAA games in the UK.

The cost isnt what annoys me though, you are right it has no subscription blah blah blah. And I would gladly pay £50 ...... as long as they make Americans pay $80 instead of $60. Because thats what they are charging the UK. Its the double standards that are pissing people off.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Looks like I'm resorting to prostitution, luckily release has still got awhile to go then.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

I think that tera's digital standard edition is 49 euros. And Im fairly certain that REALLY is standard for most mmo's. Im sure I payed something like that, if not a tad more for swtor. - When I bought GW2 I payed 55 euroes. So for those 5-6 extra euro's I avoid ever paying subscription.

So in short, the answer to your question is a resounding NO.

The long answer is that every mmo I have purchased in the past 4-5 yrs, had a subscription model, and they all cost 49.95 euros. ALL OF THEM. I payed 6 euroes more for GW2, thus your thread makes me /boggle. OMG 6 euroes more to never pay a sub is OUTRAGEOUSLY EXPENSIVE - and then /facepalm.

I am fairly certain that mayhaps you are compairing pc game prices in general, with the price of mmo games and comming up confused.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Got mine for 39 quid from Play.com and considering u do not have to pay a sub ever,that's pretty much the going rate these days and they do have to make some money as well and it's AAA stuff so no complaints here.

p>

Originally posted by vee41

You never player subscription MMO? No WoW or anything? Plenty of people did and they pay a 120$ or something YEARLY for a game. Just imagine that the game is a normal priced game with 20$ 'life time subsciption package' included ;)

But you will be spending money in the cash shop or at least most people will.. i would think they are betting on people spending $15 or more inthe cash shop each month..

Plus the main thing people will be doing in this game is click the instant lvl 80 pvp button so at the end of the day its a very expensive fantasy version of BF3 with a cash shop...

anyway this is going off topic.. sorry.

I shall leave it as this... for me £50 is way too expensive for a computer game, we are getting shafted here in the UK as usual.. haha dont even get me started on petrol prices...

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Nilenya

I think that tera's digital standard edition is 49 euros. And Im fairly certain that REALLY is standard for most mmo's. Im sure I payed something like that, if not a tad more for swtor. - When I bought GW2 I payed 55 euroes. So for those 5-6 extra euro's I avoid ever paying subscription.

So in short, the answer to your question is a resounding NO.

The long answer is that every mmo I have purchased in the past 4-5 yrs, had a subscription model, and they all cost 49.95 euros. ALL OF THEM. I payed 6 euroes more for GW2, thus your thread makes me /boggle. OMG 6 euroes more to never pay a sub is OUTRAGEOUSLY EXPENSIVE - and then /facepalm.

I am fairly certain that mayhaps you are compairing pc game prices in general, with the price of mmo games and comming up confused.

the question was if it was worth £50, not 50 euro's which is only worth about £40 anyway, less probably with the way the Euro is nosediving..  and maybe if you shopped around, as i do, then you wouldnt get charged such outlandish prices.  As for comparing PC game prices.. the reason is firstly, its a PC game, first and foremost, and secondly, Console games have always cost at least 40 percent more than PC games, probably due to licencing issues involving microsoft/Sony etc. as a result, then yes, its not unusual to see console games that retail at £50, but as the consoles themselves are heavily subsidised, they have to make the money back somehow.  image

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

got my SE for 43.40€ from a certified retailer :P (the white pre-purchase box dropped from my mailbox the next day of purchase)

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Originally posted by vee41

But you will be spending money in the cash shop or at least most people will.. i would think they are betting on people spending $15 or more inthe cash shop each month..

Plus the main thing people will be doing in this game is click the instant lvl 80 pvp button so at the end of the day its a very expensive fantasy version of BF3 with a cash shop...

anyway this is going off topic.. sorry.

I shall leave it as this... for me £50 is way too expensive for a computer game, we are getting shafted here in the UK as usual.. haha dont even get me started on petrol prices...

Game have the game for 34 quid,but the page seems a bit confused,so i went with Play as with the xtra fiver was guaranteed delivery and in time for Beta a bit cheaper for ya ?

p>