Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera - the most boring repeatable mobs in recent mmo's

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by kanedaA

Originally posted by Alucardlb

Second Quest, go kill 5 elder tree monsters......uninstall

Then you should unistall all your mmo's

Tera mght not have a strong questing but the combat and evrything else makes up for it with eaze

I'm not sure what you mean by "everything else", and Tera is losing to GW2 in the combat dept. on these forums' polls.  Besides, you can't tell someone what they do or don't enjoy.  If he thought the lack of decent questing was worth uninstalling the game, good luck talking him out of it.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Jayaris

Originally posted by NBlitz

Can we please have some moderation in the TERA subforums!? Why must every topic get polluted with GW2 vs. TERA talk?

Because GW2 fanboys go out of their way to post about their game in other sub-forums. They don't have anything else to do while they wait for the next BWE..

pot calling the kettle black much?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Tera mght not have a strong questing but the combat and evrything else makes up for it with eaze

The combat in tera's not bad, but kill quest grinding is something most gamers & developers are trying to get away from. While most games do have some form of this, TERA makes absolutely no effort to try and hide this or do something clever with it. The combat can be fun, but it doesn't do anything to make the questing more enjoyable (which is the bulk of the game).

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by Jayaris

Can we please have some moderation in the TERA subforums!? Why must every topic get polluted with GW2 vs. TERA talk?

Because GW2 fanboys go out of their way to post about their game in other sub-forums. They don't have anything else to do while they wait for the next BWE..

pot calling the kettle black much?

I'd say it's more like a chubby man calling a morbidly obese man overweight.

Hi

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Originally posted by Eir_S

I'm not sure what you mean by "everything else", and Tera is losing to GW2 in the combat dept. on these forums' polls.  Besides, you can't tell someone what they do or don't enjoy.  If he thought the lack of decent questing was worth uninstalling the game, good luck talking him out of it.

A forum where, people like you - Who don't even play TERA come onto this sub-forum simply to tell us how GW2 is superior? What exactly was the point of your post?

It's not at all relevant to the title matter, the guy doesn't even directly reference PvP on his post.

You've come here to what state that a poll on another threads says that GW2 combat is better?

So what? What sample quality checks were placed on the response pool? How accurate is the data? 

It's a forum poll.

Not worth talking about in another thread.

Honestly, you're pathetic lady.

Hi

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I agree with the OP.

Its a shame that the game has great combat but is so un imaginative in other areas.

Seems like a game either has great imagination and horrible combat, or vice versa.

I don't understand why a game can't bring both to the table.

It cost a lot of money to done one right so you can only have one unless developer willing to risk so much money.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I agree with the OP.

Its a shame that the game has great combat but is so un imaginative in other areas.

Seems like a game either has great imagination and horrible combat, or vice versa.

I don't understand why a game can't bring both to the table.

It cost a lot of money to done one right so you can only have one unless developer willing to risk so much money.

so whats swtor excuse for such boring and uninspired combat? looked like they had plently of money to throw around... really it comes down to the direction of the game and what the developers feel is most important to them

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

We have so many arm-chair developers on the web. Why don't we have a true second-coming MMO yet? Why do the developers of these newer MMOs always get something wrong?

We know better, right? If we take what we know and like, our MMO would be super popular.

Keep dreaming. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

We have so many arm-chair developers on the web. Why don't we have a true second-coming MMO yet? Why do the developers of these newer MMOs always get something wrong?

We know better, right? If we take what we know and like, our MMO would be super popular.

Keep dreaming. 

it has gotten pretty obvious as of now most MMO developers are in it for the money and nothing more.. games coming out are so uninspiried so generic it has gotten pretty sad.. so much of it nowadays feels like its all about the money and not anything about the game itself... luckily there are a few developers out there that seem to still make games that fell like they mean something to them other than just a paycheck

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TeekayTeekay Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by Sovrath

1, why are you strafing as a lancer? Lancers are a forward attacking class and have a very narrow bit in front of them to attack. YOu would do better strafign as a warrior.

2, yes they do get faster. I was nothign that there are several mobs taht will attack you and immediately jump back, reposition, jump over you and attack again.

3, Waht do you mean by "guides you"? It is a theme park game, true, but my leveling bruoght me to different places than beta. I actually bypassed certain places that I levelled in at beta. additionally, the game sends yout to different areas before you've outlevelled an area so you can feasibly stay or move to a new area.

4, I would agree with you but what game really offers a lot of variation? Lotro? Certainly not Aoc. Certainly not EQ2. Not lineage 2. Not DDO.

5 sorry but I played Rift and the graphics in Tera are better. the art design is better as well. this has to be your video card.

1) I strafe because standing still and just hitting block when the mob attacks is pretty dull, I thought this game was about moving around alot?

2) Nice to know.

3) After playing more last night it is pretty much a hand holding game. But it's quest hub driven, so i'm not overly suprised.

4) I've gone through 6? different lances now, not really any sort of change, quite dissapointing.

5) Each to their own, Rift had far better graphics/backgrounds imho. Tera is a bit of a step up from ftps. Maybe it's just because i've played alot of the asian ftps i'm noticing it. If the only game you['ve ever played it wow then yes, i'm sure you think Tera is amazing graphical wise.

Originally posted by Teekay

1) I strafe because standing still and just hitting block when the mob attacks is pretty dull, I thought this game was about moving around alot?

Its hella lot harder than it sound at later lvl where boss attacks all push you around and your dps all do massive dmg where if all you do is block you loss aggro instantly. Trying to get in attacks to keep aggro and not taking dmg when monster hit fast, moves a lot, and take out 20%+ of you hp in 1 hit is not dull at all.

2) Nice to know.

3) After playing more last night it is pretty much a hand holding game. But it's quest hub driven, so i'm not overly suprised.

4) I've gone through 6? different lances now, not really any sort of change, quite dissapointing.

From what i seen if you just look from a distance there isn't much changes, well because lance and shield all hae the general overall shap but the details are very different.

5) Each to their own, Rift had far better graphics/backgrounds imho. Tera is a bit of a step up from ftps. Maybe it's just because i've played alot of the asian ftps i'm noticing it. If the only game you['ve ever played it wow then yes, i'm sure you think Tera is amazing graphical wise.

Tera graphically from a technical stand points is better period. If you perfer the style in rift thats different.

• A_hiA_hi Member Posts: 87

The reason for this copy paste (and yes, there is a ton of it) I think is the combat system. Just think about it, in a game with this kind of combat system, you cant have 500 different monsters, all of them with unique moves and animations because you simply wouldnt be able to remember when you are supposed to dodge/block, when to move away etc.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Originally posted by JudgeUK

Having played from eq through wow, gw, rift, aion, swtor, ffxiv. etc etc

Yes, I know that all mmo's repeat mobs at different levels to some degree. They do however add new ones or some different  mechanic to add a degree of interest.

Some even merge these into a storyline....

Not so Tera, this has got to be the most uninteresting levelling experience I've had, and that's saying something compared to Aion at original launch.

How many Jesters can they stick in the game? Looking exactly the same, doing exactly the same, with exactly the same adds. Talk about cut and paste programming.

No wonder this game bombed in Asia. It just goes to show that you have to have some indpendent thought in addition to getting yourself sued by NCsoft

I find the mobs no worse than any other MMO. However, that isn't a compliment. 

Also, Tera bombed in Asia? I didn't hear that before.

Originally posted by A_hi

The reason for this copy paste (and yes, there is a ton of it) I think is the combat system. Just think about it, in a game with this kind of combat system, you cant have 500 different monsters, all of them with unique moves and animations because you simply wouldnt be able to remember when you are supposed to dodge/block, when to move away etc.

I would actually like it that way!!! LOL 

Keep dreaming. 

Aren't all developers in arm-chairs? Sounds like you tried to play on arm-chair warriors and failed! muahaha. But regardless you have a point.

Originally posted by madazz

Do you have any idea how much that would cost to make? Maybe a well established developer have the money to pull it off but its their first game with very limited funds. to pull off the combat its already pretty amazing considering how nightmare the hitbox must have been to program.

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Do you have any idea how much that would cost to make? Maybe a well established developer have the money to pull it off but its their first game with very limited funds. to pull off the combat its already pretty amazing considering how nightmare the hitbox must have been to program.

Don't care, I can wish it was like that. Doesn't have to be but it would be awesome. The argument stating it would be hard to remember how to attack is what I was posting in regards too. If you guys want a game where you walk up and say "ok i do this then this and then I win... ok heres the next one I do this and this then I win..." well than suit yourselves. I like dynamic and fun. 

As for cost, its something that can be slowly done overtime. I'd love it too. Hell, they could even create templates on how certain creatures react and randomize them amongst ones that fall into a certain category (otherwise a fairy stomping you would make no sense at all). So therefore, its possible ;)

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

The community on Dragonfall server is the worst in any MMO that I have ever played. It makes the WoW community look amazingly mature.

Don't care, I can wish it was like that. Doesn't have to be but it would be awesome. The argument stating it would be hard to remember how to attack is what I was posting in regards too. If you guys want a game where you walk up and say "ok i do this then this and then I win... ok heres the next one I do this and this then I win..." well than suit yourselves. I like dynamic and fun. 

As for cost, its something that can be slowly done overtime. I'd love it too. Hell, they could even create templates on how certain creatures react and randomize them amongst ones that fall into a certain category (otherwise a fairy stomping you would make no sense at all). So therefore, its possible ;)

Yes it will take time, BH is one of the first to get the combat to the current state which is what they put lot of their money and effort in to. But once its done once the next time they make games it easier and easier and have more time to focus on other aspect of the game. Well the monster is alreayd randomized in their own attack but i can see how a broader range would help.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Originally posted by bigsmiff

The community on Dragonfall server is the worst in any MMO that I have ever played. It makes the WoW community look amazingly mature.

Perhaps, but what do you think about the reuse of npc graphics in TERA, that's what the OP was about.

Are you for or against? image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by Kyleran

Perhaps, but what do you think about the reuse of npc graphics in TERA, that's what the OP was about.

Back on topic image

SWTOR had twins and tripletts in many areas and in many cutscenes. I find it very annoying.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by Popple

Originally posted by tachgb

You've just described WHAT EVERY MMO HAS DONE since the late 90s... Can you please find something useful to complain about?

Come on now after 12 years they should have perfected of making good games by now...Oh wait are we still waiting for the Asians games to catch up? Cut, Paste,Repeat,Give it a different name? image

I don't think it's a lack of good ideas. It can't be as easy as many think with the quickening evolution of technology ..to be able to keep re-learning shit every 2years. Asset management alone must be a pain. Good games for pc back in the day...Ultima Exodus for example was probably between 500kb to shy of 1 mb of data. Compare that to games these days.

Idk...just babbling..lol

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

I gave this one a try a few months ago during one of the weekend betas, and i had such high hopes for it at one point, but yea i didnt last more than 30 mins.

First Quest, go kill 5 tree monsters...alright sure

While I will admit that the initial monsters on the isle of dawn and again in the first city were a tad on the 'typical' side, by the last quest on the Island, you are fighting some fairly interesting mobs/demons leading up to the mini-boss, and then once you get past the first zone of the next area, you are fighing demons mounted on horses,  what looked like monsters right of ultraman or some other jap monster show, and all sorts of really interesting looking mobs, much different than I have seen in other games (besides the boars etc...)

The combat for me, is refreshing and highly addicting, and while the quests are kind of dull, there IS an ongoing story line, but I too found myself, just clicking through them to get to the fun killing.

Now whether or not this game will keep me interested for 6+ months I cant say, and it does feel like it should be F2P, but that might just be because I also pay for 3 EVE accounts, and looking forward to using GW2 / TERA as monotony breakers.

All in all, I like the art and combat style, and while many of the criticisms are true, a lot of it is really just personal prefernce.  Try the game yourself and make your own decision ..(hint .. you may want to give it more than 30 mins, or you may miss out)

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

Oh yeah .. so far the community seems ... a tad immature, I agree there.

every MMO I have played re-used and re-skinned NPC models,  I am not end-game but have already seen some pretty interesting models form 1-20

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Back on topic image

SWTOR had twins and tripletts in many areas and in many cutscenes. I find it very annoying.

But what about TERA???  Did it annoy you there as well?  I'm really not bothered by it very much, but apparently others see a Tree or Elk behind every bush.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon