Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Play with the right mindset

pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

I noticed something during the BWE - in chat, or on the forums, some people asked or said things along the lines of, "What's the fastest way to 80?" 

Now you're entitled to whichever playstyle you find the most fun, and if for you, that's hitting max level very fast, then so be it. That said, if you treat the sub-80 PvE in this game as a chore, fluff to blow through, or some silly sideshow that preceeds the true content, you're most certianly doing it wrong. 

From all the people I have spoken too, and from my experience as well,  found that simply doing stuff was a better experience than focusing on the Hearts progress bar or running from waypoint to waypoint judging from the map.

Perhaps most importantly, there are all sorts of events, NPCs and surprises in the game taht don't have a counter, or marker. So if you tunnel vision on the event counter, for example,  you're bound to miss most of what this game has to offer. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

Comments

• 1carcarah11carcarah1 Member Posts: 172

Those same kind of people who was asking about rushing to lvl80 were also following hearts, grinding mobs, going for personal story cause there werent enough hearts to level, and then when BWE ended, they got angry cause the game didnt delivered what ANet promised. 

"GW2 leveling is nothing especial. There are hearts instead exclamation points and lots of grind." As lot of them said.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

They also call them content locust,Blow threw a game,hit max level/end game then complain there was not enough to do.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I continue to be confused by people that say there wasn't enough content to level. All four characters I played in the BWE were continually being leveled down for content. I got an Elementalist to level 20 and only wnet to the 15-25 zone during the last two hours of the event, because I wanted to see an additional zone. I probably would have hit 20 in the level 1-15 zone if I had stayed there and continued to complete the zone.

The Hearts are worth doing for the vendor unlock, but regular Dynamic Events provide most of your XP. I always started with the Heart Tasks when I discovered one, then would go on to explore the area for Dynamic Events. I also did Personal Story.

There is more than enough content for people who actually explore the zones they are playing in. If someone insists on just doing Heart Quests, which I wouldn't understand, but if they did, it's extremely easy to visit the other race's zones and do the Heart Quests there.

Just grinding Mobs doesn't get you any where, unless they are part of a Task or DE. The kill XP is minimal.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by pharazonic

I noticed something during the BWE - in chat, or on the forums, some people asked or said things along the lines of, "What's the fastest way to 80?" 

Now you're entitled to whichever playstyle you find the most fun, and if for you, that's hitting max level very fast, then so be it. That said, if you treat the sub-80 PvE in this game as a chore, fluff to blow through, or some silly sideshow that preceeds the true content, you're most certianly doing it wrong. 

From all the people I have spoken too, and from my experience as well,  found that simply doing stuff was a better experience than focusing on the Hearts progress bar or running from waypoint to waypoint judging from the map.

Perhaps most importantly, there are all sorts of events, NPCs and surprises in the game taht don't have a counter, or marker. So if you tunnel vision on the event counter, for example,  you're bound to miss most of what this game has to offer. 

I'd agree.

Personally, I kinda hate the hearts system. I get why they did it (to ease people into the dynamic events), but the bi-product of adding them, is people assume that they are the only means of progression in the game. So instead of playing the game and immediately going 'okay.. where is the content?' and trying to go find it. They are told 'the content is in these 3 places'.

As you get to the higher zones, this becomes less and less true, but even still. In the starting areas the hearts cover the bulk of the events, with a few smaller ones sprinkled around. I've seen too many people assuming that the hearts are the only ways to quests, besides the personal story. Which is a shame, because those features were added to the game, not the other way around.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by 1carcarah1

Those same kind of people who was asking about rushing to lvl80 were also following hearts, grinding mobs, going for personal story cause there werent enough hearts to level, and then when BWE ended, they got angry cause the game didnt delivered what ANet promised. 

"GW2 leveling is nothing especial. There are hearts instead exclamation points and lots of grind." As lot of them said.

People who..... oh you mean dumbasses.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

at the first beta the xp was way to high, the second way to slow. and on the BWE its was almos tthere,

a bit of twicking and i asume its will be right on the spot for the xp,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• RathanX26RathanX26 Member Posts: 119

We grew up with MMO's that stressed the lack of importance of doing anything other then leveling to reach the end game "goal." With GW2, we are now offered a chance to truely experience what a "Dynamic" world can offer to us.  When i log off and go to bed, wake up and log in, i could be looking at a different set of events that are happening in the same place that i left when i logged off. For most gamers, when you log off in front of a npc, you know that you will log back in and see pretty much the exact same thing, npc still there, mobs in the background waiting to be killed, etc. With GW2, the NPC could be dead, could have been chased away, could be out on a mission to deliver weapons to an outpost and thats what makes it exciting. By logging off you might actually miss something. Also, i put Dynamic in quotes before because although i know that everything that is happening is following a "script/cycle" based on previous events, it doesn't take away from the feeling that it gives you of being a constantly moving and flowing world. Can't wait to see what kinds of things happen at later levels.

I'm sorry but the only one saying anything about the second coming is you. Fans of a game accept its flaws and strengths.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I disagree with the OP. WvW is much more fun as a max level character with all skills and full action bar unlocked

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by Eir_S

I'd say WoW players addicted to its mechanics and then thinks they know all about MMOs( being WoW veterans made them acomplish that status). People like WoWcrendor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN8gUB5nC7w

or Jesse Cox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuYnVjo_CkU

• GenreNinjaGenreNinja Member CommonPosts: 159

Once upon a time, MMORPG's were about adventure. Creating a character, taking up a weapon or spell, and setting out to face the challenges the world had laid out before you. 

Those days are gone.

Today, MMORPGs are instant gratification iv drips.With an achievement, a level, a skill point, a quest reward, poping up and rewarding the player every few minutes from the time they log in until they log out.

GW2 made an effort to bring the adventure back to the MMO world. But, most of the community haven't played anything else but the watered down remnants of the genre. So when they go into GW2, they don't know how to react. GW2 is trying to please everything, holding the hand for players who need hand holding (hearts) offering an alternative to PvE to those who just want to fight (borderlands) offering adventure to those who want it (hidden dungeons).. it's all there. But people go into the game thinging GW2 is going to hand them a dream game on a silver platter. No, go play the game. I 'llnever understand why people want a game... they don't have to actually play.

I hope some niche developer brings the days of adventure back to the genre... and not worrya bout appealing to the mass market. I would gladly play a slightly higher subscription fee each month if it meant the game I was getting would cater to everyone an their 12 year old sister. If hardcore meant hardcore and adventure meant adventure and... /end side rant

Sorry. I agree many people are going in with the wrong mindset. It's not Anet's fault.. but it is Anet's responsiblity to the community to either stand up and say "if you don't like it then the game just isn't for you" or say "we're going to do everything we cant to make you like it." either way they'll lose people, it's just a matter of "who is it do they want to lose?"

---

Live a life less ordinary.

WoWCrendor is incredibly annoying, I couldn't finish his video.  Will try the other one.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

It's weird, I thought I knew what to look for in DEs yet I find in hindsight that I left many if not most of them too early to see how they played out. There are some startling videos out showing how deep some of them go, and how rewarding it can be if you stick around for them. I plan on not making that mistake again next BWE.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by pharazonic

This pretty much goes for all mmos. Im glad GW2 is opening so many people's eyes :)

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

WoWCrendor is incredibly annoying, I couldn't finish his video.  Will try the other one.

Jesse Cox is worse. Its like watching Ace Ventura playing video games. Just hate him (and Jim Carey for that character) from the bottom of my heart

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Originally posted by MMOExposed

I disagree with the OP. WvW is much more fun as a max level character with all skills and full action bar unlocked

Er you know that skills aren't unlocked in WvW right? I was stuck with only the fire spells I unlocked on my Ele and WvW'd quite a lot. Yes you're scaled in level but not in gear, skills and traits. That's only done in sPvP and while inside the Heart of the Mist starter portal to PvP but not when in the actual WvW maps.

• aejoriiaejorii Member Posts: 26

They are. You just have to kill things. Kill players, kill creatures/mobs with your weapon.

For players it's a bit wonky since it has the downed system, so it doesn't work 100% of the time. But it definately works for mobs.

• aejoriiaejorii Member Posts: 26

You can't know this. Unless you're willing to break NDA to tell us?

• SynxVIISynxVII Member Posts: 168

More false info from MMOExposed, yay!  It's like Christmas every day.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I LOL'd.  :)

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Originally posted by 1carcarah1

Yeah ANet finally decided to reel in more market share by adding map markers. That pissed me off. They said it's just to get players to find out more easily where to go, but in fact it destroys the game a little bit. Now I don't have to use map markers myself, but I don't like if others do and get this QQ going.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

easiest to treat everything like level 1 is max level.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Hopefully people will start to realize that you are SUPPOSED to slow down and enjoy the journey of the game.  Here is a great thread (with a video link) that talks about what you miss if you don't slow down with GW2:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/349936/page/1

The video really opened my eyes to what GW2 truly has to offer to those willing to slow down and actually play the game, not rush to the end hoping for something special.  The something special is right there from the beginning.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

you can take grind out of game, but you can't take the grinding out of a gamer!

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Originally posted by lilHeala

Er you know that skills aren't unlocked in WvW right? I was stuck with only the fire spells I unlocked on my Ele and WvW'd quite a lot. Yes you're scaled in level but not in gear, skills and traits. That's only done in sPvP and while inside the Heart of the Mist starter portal to PvP but not when in the actual WvW maps.

Thats why he was disaggreeing with the OP. He/She was stating why they would want the quickest path to 80 such that they have everything unlocked for the WvWvW. To them that is the game - for others the pve journey for many its a combo of both.