Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My CoH rant or The game with the shortest attention span EVER!!

2»

Comments

• arturoarturo Member Posts: 17

Have you confused solo with casual gameplay maybe? You said you have to be AFK a lot, etc so I was wondering if perhaps this is what your getting at, that an MMO should be based on the casual player who doesn't have a lot of time to play an MMO like hardcore gamers but doesn't want to be left behind.

If so, I hear you on this, and it is a common complaint about MMO's that current and future games are trying to address.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Originally posted by arturo

Have you confused solo with casual gameplay maybe? You said you have to be AFK a lot, etc so I was wondering if perhaps this is what your getting at, that an MMO should be based on the casual player who doesn't have a lot of time to play an MMO like hardcore gamers but doesn't want to be left behind.
    If so, I hear you on this, and it is a common complaint about MMO's that current and future games are trying to address.

Nope, solo and casuals are 2 very differents topic.  Someone that play 80 hours a week is definitely not a casual(a few server or serverwide first in EQ) even if 15-20 of those are simply impossible to group for RL reasons.  See, many peoples group and AFK, I dont do that.  If I may AFK, then I go solo and dont put my LFG flag, and if someone ask me anyway, I let them know they must let know all the group I may chain AFK on them, if they are all fine with it, I will consider group, but main trouble is often there is miscommunication or changes in groups, so often I say simply: sorry I cant commit to a group atm.  So with 15-20 hours per week where I cant commit to anything but solo activities, add about 10 hours(which is only 1/6 of the remaining) where I will prolly dont find a group because I usually outlevels many folks, I usually close the walk of the leading group(usually between 50-100 folks level faster then me in EQ, or at a similar pace, 36 are RL friends so it leave 14-64 peoples to group with on the whole server unless you have sidekick like CoH or peoples are capped for a long time or a I join later)...which limit grouping options a lot...I assume I would raid an average of 3-7 hours a week(huge variations, I may not raid at all for 3 months then raid non-stop for a few weeks, or it may be steady)...tradeskill and PvP will be a suprised if they get 1 hour a week.  I play less in CoH, still manage to make 600 hours in a little over 2 months, so not much less.

Solo can be deadly hardcore.  It is easier to build hardcore solo then hardcore raiding, because there is no waste in coordination and social, so you can make it quite deadly and hardcore.

However, unlike most hardcores, I want soloers AND casuals to have a place in the game.  If I zone in Cruhsbone, I should be level 15, not level 902374956 and owning the place.  Best gear in Crushbone should be what drop of Dviin or Emperor Crush, the dragongear should be noobish in stats in Crushbone.   Achieving the top of Crushbone should be within the reach of every casual, and most hardcore should just skip it to focus on the harder challenges, so when you group with your casuals friends, they are stronger then you if they pick a zone they focus a lot on and you mostly ignore.

Vanguard and many others seem to have issues to understand the difference between solo and casuals, the fact most casuals are solo lover dont mean there is no hardcore soloers.  In fact, I am pretty sure the hardcore soloers outnumbers the hardcores groupers and raiders, we prolly get most of the raid officers who are still a minority in our community, while in the raiding world, they are half the hardcore blood and they feed leeches with a lot of time that are often unable to do much on their own.

Be nice to soloers.  Be nice to casuals as well.  But dont neglect any player pool, and hardcores soloers outnumbers all the others hardcores, if only because we usually have in our members all the others groups.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren