Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strategy anyone?

OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Ive recently been playing Rome: Total War. I havent gotten too much into the campaign yet, but from what ive seen so far, this game is DEEP. I have never played any of the other Total War games so I was pleasently surprised the first time I played this. I had seen screenshots of the massive battles on the web, but they dont do justice ot what it looks like in motion. Calvalry smash through light infantry sending them in all directions, elephants send men flying through the air and archers fill the sky with dozens of arrows. The battles look so good I woudl be content just watching them. Anyways, im a big fan of RTS and in terms of strategy, most are a joke compared to this game. Im still a newb at this game even though im a veteran of RTSs, but this game is hard. You really need to learn what units are effective against other units. If you send a group of cavalry into a deployed unit of spearmen, theyre going to get slaughtered. If you reroute your cavalry to flank the spearmen and take them from behind youll be much better off... Anyways before I start ranting too much, if youre an RTS fan, do yourself a favor and try it out.

Also, anyone a fan of Dungeon Keeper? That game rocks.

Comments

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

I generally suck at RTS's... too much pressure, I don't work well under pressure. I'll take Disciples II, Risk, or Chess over Total War anyday. Sadly Turn Based Strategy is a dying genre, I've been stuck with a steady flow of Strategy RPG's on my Gameboy and PS2, Advance Wars, Disgaea, etc.

--------------------------------------

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

Turn-based I think is a dieing breed because multi-player is the future.

I think a good mix is using the turn-based elements (empire building, chess like army movement, etc) in real time. As well as having massive army battles like Rome: Total War in real time as well. But truthfully...The only Turn Based game I enjoyed was LoTR 2(Lords of the Realm)

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Originally posted by Finwe
    Turn-based I think is a dieing breed because multi-player is the future.
    I think a good mix is using the turn-based elements (empire building, chess like army movement, etc) in real time. As well as having massive army battles like Rome: Total War in real time as well. But truthfully...The only Turn Based game I enjoyed was LoTR 2(Lords of the Realm)

Ah yes, I rememeber that game. That was a pretty cool game, havent played it in a long time but it was pretty good at the time. Worms is also a good turn-based strategy game.

• stephen_sofstephen_sof Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 388

earth 2160 did a preview on ign i saw for it and it sounds sweet

"It's the darkness that brings us power"