Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A couple recurring things from the TESO conversation thus far.

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by xenogias

I knew you didnt mean it that way. I usually read your posts when I see them so I have seen the agressive writing before. I kind of just wanted to point it out because you know someone will come in all butthurt and say "see see your the same!".

Oh and I think we both know that as soon as a game is announced, even if there is no information people will love it or hate it based off the name alone ;)

HAHA, can't argue with either of those points. Yes for the agressive wording I'm guilty, I get that from everyone, even in the real world, I don't mean it that way it's just how it comes out.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Terranah

I guess after waiting all these years for a multiplayer version of Elderscrolls, the fans of the IP found out the mmo of the same name will resemble Elderscrolls in name only, departing from those things which made their games great.  I could understand why fans are upset.

I would think people who love The Elderscrolls for what it is would be upset, while people who don't love it would be indifferent.  What I don't understand is why use a beloved IP if you aren't going to draw on what made it great.  My cynical side says a quick buck.  Now...I'm a capitalist.  I don't think there is anything wrong with making money.  But, lately it seems like the genre has been caring too much about money and not about the love of the game or genre.  I think that cynicism is starting to take hold as more people are realizing the mmo genre has stagnated into a one note band.

I think one thing also clear with recent game revelations is, how slow they are to catch up to player wants and desires. Like three faction PVP, we've been asking for that since at least 2005 across the board, it took seven years for those games to finally start coming around again, at this point it doesn't seem to be at the top of many gamers priority list. Now many have moved on to wanting more freedoms, new combat systems, etc..

Well the three faction thing does sound interesting.  And I always like to see more freedom because at heart I am more sandbox than themepark.  But personally I don't like the direction mmos are going in terms of combat.  Probably a lot of people will disagree with me, but for myself I left fps because those many 8 hour days finally began to take their toll on my hands, and I have no desire to return to that kind of gameplay.  I am 43.  Speaking honestly my reflexes are slower than they were at 26, and I'd rather rely more on strategy, tactics and brain power.

Well the three faction thing does sound interesting.  And I always like to see more freedom because at heart I am more sandbox than themepark.  But personally I don't like the direction mmos are going in terms of combat.  Probably a lot of people will disagree with me, but for myself I left fps because those many 8 hour days finally began to take their toll on my hands, and I have no desire to return to that kind of gameplay.  I am 43.  Speaking honestly my reflexes are slower than they were at 26, and I'd rather rely more on strategy, tactics and brain power.

I agree with everything you said, with my condition (heart problems) at 33 I definitely prefer something a little less intense, I grew up on FPS and fighting games, so it's not that I don't like them, I just get too competitive and actually get angry at times lol, so I avoid anything that gets my blood boiling so to speak ( thank god forums don't effect me, I'd have had a third HA by now:).

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , the only thing I want IF they are serious about a TESO , is that I don't want a mass open world , meaning thousands on a map. I want to be able to create my own private room (Diablo 1 and 2 style) and be able to play with a few friends. 

If they go down the path of mass multiplayer , it will be generic like every other MMO and be forgotten.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I agree with everything you said, with my condition (heart problems) at 33 I definitely prefer something a little less intense, I grew up on FPS and fighting games, so it's not that I don't like them, I just get too competitive and actually get angry at times lol, so I avoid anything that gets my blood boiling so to speak ( thank god forums don't effect me, I'd have had a third HA by now:).

Yeah I am competitive too and with my hands stiffening up and aching after less than an hour of fps I can no longer be competitive, so it becomes frustrating.  Also, FPS has evolved too, moving away from the classic Quake style games to more team based fps with rpg elements.  

Anyway, forums are the new unofficial mmo for veterans, hahaha. 

Yeah I am competitive too and with my hands stiffening up and aching after less than an hour of fps I can no longer be competitive, so it becomes frustrating.  Also, FPS has evolved too, moving away from the classic Quake style games to more team based fps with rpg elements.  

Anyway, forums are the new unofficial mmo for veterans, hahaha. 

Yeah I do actually prefer the new shooter mechanics employed today. Definitely adds more substance to multi-play. ANd yeah I can imagie that getting frustrating, with my meds I get a bad side effect with my joints, so I understand the pain you're referring to, I had to give up skating (both due to heart and meds), was almost about to give up playing live music, but I just can't.

At the last part so damn true lol.image

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

You made a whole thread just to express that you don't understand why other people don't understand things?

Originally posted by Paradigm68

You made a whole thread just to express that you don't understand why other people don't understand things?

I guess I did.

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

TES wouldve been better with like a 4man coop than some MMO that restricts your classes/races. How many Elderscrolls restrict your classes and races? Thats not opinion. Why would you create a game with the name/lore of another but completely rewrite its playstyle to fit whats not in the previous games?

Youre surprised that people keep spouting thier 'opinions', but thats what makes the original elder scrolls so fun. The fact you get to make choices/opinions. This MMO seems to restrict your ability to make choices more than anything else.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I just want to know why people think their opinion should be held by everyone, and people are mindless drones if they don't share it? Is it just trolling or what?

Human nature.

Ignorance is a driving force of human kind. Most of the men are ignorant and will deal their ignorance the way you described, but there are always few who will seek answers.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

It seems whenever I (or others) offer an opinion that isn't negative toward the game, there is a bombardment of responses to the tune of "but this isn't what I want from a TES MMO". Why should my opinion be based on what you want from a TES MMO?

Along with that there are also a number of responses that will sing a tune of "idiocy" because a poster isn't up in arms about things like TAB targetting, classes, etc.. Why should I care about others being sick of those things? Why should I want change if I actually prefer some of those things in an MMO (excluding class based, I do prefer skill based)?

Worst of all are those who don't understand the difference between withholding judgment, and being a sheep with wool over eye. WIthholding judgement means a person wants to see the whole picture, before offering a verdict. This is the complete opposite of the latter.

I just want to know why people think their opinion should be held by everyone, and people are mindless drones if they don't share it? Is it just trolling or what?

The irony of this post, it burns like 1000 exploding suns.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

It seems whenever I (or others) offer an opinion that isn't negative toward the game, there is a bombardment of responses to the tune of "but this isn't what I want from a TES MMO". Why should my opinion be based on what you want from a TES MMO?

Along with that there are also a number of responses that will sing a tune of "idiocy" because a poster isn't up in arms about things like TAB targetting, classes, etc.. Why should I care about others being sick of those things? Why should I want change if I actually prefer some of those things in an MMO (excluding class based, I do prefer skill based)?

Worst of all are those who don't understand the difference between withholding judgment, and being a sheep with wool over eye. WIthholding judgement means a person wants to see the whole picture, before offering a verdict. This is the complete opposite of the latter.

MMOS with tab target Combat, and generic mmo art styling are ten a penny. You have such a wide selection of games to play this shouldnt of been one of them. This should of been for the crowd that dont like wow. That want more of a sandbox feel and an experience close to that found in TES. This isnt that game it is aimed at a compeltely different market. A market that is so spoilt for choice they really wont appreaciate the game for longer than 2 months. Just like SWTOR.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Originally posted by deathshroud MMOS with tab target Combat, and generic mmo art styling are ten a penny. You have such a wide selection of games to play this shouldnt of been one of them. This should of been for the crowd that dont like wow. That want more of a sandbox feel and an experience close to that found in TES. This isnt that game it is aimed at a compeltely different market. A market that is so spoilt for choice they really wont appreaciate the game for longer than 2 months. Just like SWTOR.

Problem with your argumentation is that you base your arguments on subjective and moral perspective but MMO games are business and as such risking millions and millions of dollars based on such arguments is unacceptable for most.

Ignoring apparent and documented nature of the subject is not going to strengthen your points.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by deathshroud

MMOS with tab target Combat, and generic mmo art styling are ten a penny. You have such a wide selection of games to play this shouldnt of been one of them. This should of been for the crowd that dont like wow. That want more of a sandbox feel and an experience close to that found in TES. This isnt that game it is aimed at a compeltely different market. A market that is so spoilt for choice they really wont appreaciate the game for longer than 2 months. Just like SWTOR.

Problem with your argumentation is that you base your arguments on subjective and moral perspective but MMO games are business and as such risking millions and millions of dollars based on such arguments is unacceptable for most.

Ignoring the truth is not going to strengthen your points.

The truth is that TES is a huge multi million selling franchise, Bethesda are great at making a TES style game. They know little about making an mmo, they are making a game they know little about simply because all they see is $ signs. But the issue here is they are no longer making a TES game, they are no longer making a game they have built into a multi million dollar behemoth. They are making a wow clone and like all imitators to WOW's crown. It will end badly Just like all the previous MMOs. Thier goal is to either release the game and cash in for the first 2 months of release as mcuh as they can (12o hours of gameplay??) and then let the game fade out of existance esentially fooling the fans into paying money for the game. Or they are looking to closely at WOW and zenimax think that TES makes alot of money so it should make alot of money as an mmo. porblem is it isnt going to beat WOW at its own game.

What they needed to do was, make TES into a TES mmo. not TES into a WOW mmo. When all the fans of TES were beging for multiplayer or an mmo version they werent thinking of WOW. but Zenimax obviously were.

No wonder the original TES developers steered clear of this.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Originally posted by deathshroud

The truth is that TES is a huge multi million selling franchise, Bethesda are great at making a TES style game. They know little about making an mmo, they are making a game they know little about simply because all they see is $ signs. But the issue here is they are no longer making a TES game, they are no longer making a game they have built into a multi million dollar behemoth. They are making a wow clone and like all imitators to WOW's crown. It will end badly Just like all the previous MMOs. Thier goal is to either release the game and cash in for the first 2 months of release as mcuh as they can (12o hours of gameplay??) and then let the game fade out of existance esentially fooling the fans into paying money for the game. Or they are looking to closely at WOW and zenimax think that TES makes alot of money so it should make alot of money as an mmo. porblem is it isnt going to beat WOW at its own game.

What they needed to do was, make TES into a TES mmo. not TES into a WOW mmo. When all the fans of TES were beging for multiplayer or an mmo version they werent thinking of WOW. but Zenimax obviously were.

No wonder the original TES developers steered clear of this.

Too bad you are not reading posts you reply to...

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

you right, they should make a speed racing game MMO with clowns and trailer parks and call it TES MMO who is to say thats not right just because its not like you expect?, besides its there money and they can do what they please and if you dont like it you can create you own.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

you right, they should make a speed racing game MMO with clowns and trailer parks and call it TES MMO who is to say thats not right just because its not like you expect?, besides its there money and they can do what they please and if you dont like it you can create you own.

Despite I guess you meant it as irony, it is very much spot on.

Originally posted by AdamTM

The irony of this post, it burns like 1000 exploding suns.

What irony is that? I didn't shun anyone for feeling a certain way, just asked why others do.

Originally posted by Gdemami

Despite I guess you meant it as irony, it is very much spot on.

I know that is your logic. Thus in your universe anyone can do anything and call it anything and if someone else dosent like it they should not say not anything but instead make something as they think it should be.

over time as you apply that reasoning you will slowly start to notice how ridiculous  it is and then turn off your radio or TV. Or you will not and live the rest of your life in a logic conflict with reality.

cheers!

Care to explain what this has to do with what I asked? I  didn't say there was a problem if you don't like what they're doing. Now do you have a problem with those who don't have an issue with what they're doing? If so, why? A reply toward that would be on topic.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Distopia,

I don't believe many of us are actualy being critical of you having your own tastes/opinions and expressing them. You are free to like or dislike whatever you choose, and express the same. However, since this is an open forum...and we also have opinions/tastes...we are simply making it clear that we do not share your tastes and are disappointed by the direction the Developers decided to go.

I don't believe most people here are saying "Shut up you idiot, you have no right to like what Zenimax is doing."..... I believe most people instead are saying "Ok, that's your opinion....here's mine and it completely different from yours....just want to make that clear."

Care to explain what this has to do with what I asked? I  didn't say there was a problem if you don't like what they're doing. Now do you have a problem with those who don't have an issue with what they're doing? If so, why? A reply toward that would be on topic.

lets use a different example so that we can break free from the tunnel vision that is happening.

Let say we all live on a block and one of the neighboors is building a small go-cart track in their back yard for the neighboorhood kids (lets say this is all approved by the HOA). The only thing is the co-cart track is actually a swimming pool.

Why do you have a problem with the neighboors saying 'that is the crazyest idea ever, I have no plans on sending my kids to that house, they are friggin nuts'

we all know they can do whatever they want to, that is not the issue we are having. the issue we are having is that you think people should voice their opinions about it.

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

I don't believe most people here are saying "Shut up you idiot, you have no right to like what Zenimax is doing."..... I believe most people instead are saying "Ok, that's your opinion....here's mine and it completely different from yours....just want to make that clear."

Why themepark, carebear, tab targeting combat, WoW, WoW-clone, questing etc., anything that is a taste of the mainstream gamer, gets such defamatory tone then? I do not believe it is my sensitive perception seeing it that way.

Then there is 2nd issue when posters have no respect to game developers. Saying that you do not like their product is fine, telling them how they should run their business is completely different tho...

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Originally posted by jonrd463
    The simple answer is that they're not you. They don't think like you, have the same tastes as you, or reason like you. In short, they're them. Don't take their expressions about the game personally. You don't have to accept how they feel about the game, just as they don't have to accept how you feel about it.

People are different. It's a concept that seems to escape the internet. A lot.
    MY point went straight over your head didn't it? The whole point is they're doing just that, trying to make everyone think as they do. And do not understand people have different opinions.

I think you are the one forcing everyone to believe the way you do. Why can't others want change in MMOs? Why can't people be sick of the same rehash of crap they have been thrown for the last 7 or 8 years? People do have different opinions, there isn't a right or wrong one. Attacking people for what they want makes you no better than the people you are complaining about.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Putting all the things like tab targetting, hot bars, classes, etc. aside.  The game looks like it used the Hero engine or some version of it so every screen shot just basically looks like SWTOR with a fantasy skin.  I actually find it offensive because a game series has certain defining features and one of TES for me is graphically it looks a certain way.  Just one more instance of an IP getting run over.

Steam: Neph