Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 the New Touchstone for MMOs?

Comments

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by spaceport

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by spaceport

I love open world PVP and i never ganked anyone, funny.. isn't it?

I really hope you don't get bored of GW2 in 2 months like with the last "big thing"

For me, organization, extreme fairness to the point of becoming an FPS with no progression, structure, and all those things makes the PVP shallow and boring, give me freedom, dynamism and unpredictable PVP over e-sport any day of the week.

Besides... ohhh someone ganked me... who cares, im not going to be butthurt and cry because of it...

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to call either BS, or a severe case of rosy glasses.

Every, single, last, FFA, PvP game I have ever played is always rampant w/ gankers and griefers. There's not a single exception. Not even UO. Not even Shadowbane. They all have it. You didn't gank yourself? Good for you *golf clap*, that has absolutely nothing to do w/ what the rest of the population does in a FFA game. Hell, look at TERA. Before the game was even released they had gankers stalking lowbies trying to check out the quests. This was as early as closed beta.

If you like that, for some reason, then fine. However, this notion that somehow 'somewhere out there' is this magical FFA pvp system in which asshats don't ruin it for everyone else, is delusional to a curious lvl.

When you compare a structured pvp system (a good one) with a non-structured pvp system (a good one), the biggest difference is that one ensures that most fights are challenging, the other is a complete crap shoot. So while, sure, there are those rare ocassions when you get a really epic fight out of nowhere and it's awesome, it's great; most of the time with FFA pvp you get horribly skewed fights in one direction or the other. For most serious pvpers it's more annoying than fun, and the lack of consistency is a huge turn off.

As far as progression goes, I'm not sure what you are trying to say there. Both types of PvP have progression, and for both it's equally irrelevant. Both are unpredictable, both are dynamic. The difference is one's predictability = random unforseen consequences that you can't do anything about, and the other you actually have a chance to fight back. But maybe that's your big fuss. You don't like your victims having a chance to come back from an attack. It's 'too boring' when they aren't getting 1shotted. You prefer a roll-of-the-dice, 'surprise we have the most magic underpants in our guild, you lose' type of pvp system. There's games for that, have fun in those.

Have you even read anything of what i posted?

I never ganked anyone, and you are wrong about FFA PVP.

You sound like a mad fanboy, get a grip, not everyone likes the same things.

OMG someone said something bad about MY PRECIOUS i better nerd rage and end this right now! 

Pfff, not even gonna bother.

You might be right about GW2's PvP. I know some people love esport PvP, and I enjoyed GW1's, but GW2's doesn't seem that interesting or impressive, and it feels like a glaring lack when so much else is innovative and different from what's come before.

I think WvWvW will satisfy most people's open PvP needs. Those whom it doesn't are those who want to PvP with people who are trying to play PvE, and that's just wrong. Yes, it is limited to its own region of the game, and I don't like that. But when taken against the idea of people being able to kill PvEers whenever you want, I think it's worth the sacrifice.

Everyone knows that FFA PvP draws gankers. It's not a secret. Anyone who says otherwise is deluded. Yes, there are people who like world PvP or open FFA PvP, and I'll admit it has some great things about it, and it can be exciting and fun. But there will always be gankers in those types of games, and there will always be people who wait and jump you when you've just killed six trolls or something and aren't at peak condition, just so they have an edge. These people don't want fair fights. Because they exist, and will always infest games with open PvP, not allowing it is a viable design choice, and it shouldn't be ridiculed just for being made.

There are good points about both systems, but GW2 has a chosen system. If you don't like it, than that PvP isn't for you. There are other games with world PvP, or otherwise open PvP. Yes not everyone likes the same thing. So don't whine about GW2 just because it doesn't have what you like. There are people who do. And it doesn't mean what they want is less valid than what you want, so don't be rude about it.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

With respect Spaceport...I've been playing MMOs since the Gemstone days, and I can't recall a single open-world, FFA pvp game that did not have a massive issue with gankers jsut slaughtering new players, griefing people, or generally being asshats. Heck, UO practically gave you medals for doing it. 

Now, I would LOVE to see an open FFA pvp MMO  that didn't. Where combat was always between people of equivalent gear and experience level, and all that mattered was tactics.  No people, your favorite FPS doesn't count, so don't bother recommending it. 

Anyway, hoping WvWvW gives me some of the thrrill of a large, tactical battle where strategy and clever play mean more than gear or numbers.I can live without it being part of the open world and such if it can do that. Planning on playing a LOT of it next phase.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Originally posted by Leodious

There are good points about both systems, but GW2 has a chosen system. If you don't like it, than that PvP isn't for you. There are other games with world PvP, or otherwise open PvP. Yes not everyone likes the same thing. So don't whine about GW2 just because it doesn't have what you like. There are people who do. And it doesn't mean what they want is less valid than what you want, so don't be rude about it.

Which is exactly what i said...

For ME, the PVP wouldn't have long term appeal.

Im not saying that GW2 PVP is bad or anything like that, only that for ME, it's a bit too carebearish.

Im not the one saying that open world PVP is BAD and that anyone who wants to play a game with it are scum and gankers with no skill.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Future generations will call their games GW2 clones.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by OldManFunk

Future generations will call their games GW2 clones.

We can only hope more games use this model, so the next evolution builds on what GW2 is doing.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• HachlathHachlath Member UncommonPosts: 55

GW2 is an advanced version of Rift/WAR. It's not a revolution but I liked the WE beta , I had fun. I'm waiting for next week end. The open pvp reminds me good old days of DAOC. Nice and fun game but not a revolution, probably an evolution. 

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

GW2 is nothing new, but what is does is not to focus on some gimmick and make general gameplay fun.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

YES

I have seen it in Aion as well, over the last few patches, there are elements that resemble GW2 almost exactly, and I expect too see more.

Its very exciting, I was starting to wonder about the MMO genre, it was looking very bleak. Now finnally a new approach, the future looks bright again!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Ryowulf

GW2 is nothing new, but what is does is not to focus on some gimmick and make general gameplay fun.

This makes no sense.

By not focusing on a gimmick and making general gameplay fun, these are new things to the genre since about 2004.

Every major MMO post-WoW has been "WoW with a gimmick" with rare exception (most all sandbox titles)

By not being just another WoW with a gimmick, GW2 is indeed something new.

The individual systems and features are highly derivative of that which came before, but every single MMO has been highly derivative of that which came before since the days of UO/EQ.

A MMO is the sum of its parts, and GW2 has enough parts that are unique/re-thought enough to seperate it from the pack.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

Elder Scrolls Online will be the first GW2 clone.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by Fozzik

Elder Scrolls Online will be the first GW2 clone.

I don't know. From what Total Biscuit was saying about it sounds like it will be more of a hybrid between the two models. Combat sounds to be the same standard as always but the questing is being set up in a DE fashion.

So guess you could call it a GOW2 clone.

>_>

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    If there are two universal things every MMO can take from GW2 it's level scaling per area and of course the organic nature of dynamic events. DEs are closer to a real quests than what has been passing as a quest in recent years.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

But regardless of whether or not GW2 is an success ( based on the number of pre-purchases players in BWE) Its always a step forward for the gamers in general.

The more people decided to go outside the WOW box, and utilizes everything else, we the gamers will only benefit.

Hopefully this trend only continues to snowball, because that will only mean that we gamers gets to choose among different varieties and decide on what would be the best next flavor of the decade.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• GoresonGoreson Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by ArEf

From the recent announcement of The Elder Scrolls Online, we can see that most of the features are pretty much copy-pasted from GW2.

So, this has started me wondering. Is GW2, even before release, the touchstone for most other themepark MMOs to follow?

I picked "no" - though I should have added a "I seriously don't hope so!"

The thing is that GW2 is filled to the (pretty much) max with features - PvP, WvWvW, storyline, non-story quests, automated events, class flexiibility, okay character creation system...

but the problem is that GW2 is pretty much delivering on a level that is way below how the individual feature has already been presented.

Compare the WvWvW of GW2 with the RvR of DAoC: while in DAoC I had realm pride because my realm was going against their arch-nemesis (based on a 'realistic' background) all GW2 offers is a simple color game: "hello, I'm Green, for the next 2 weeks I'll be fighting you Blue and Red lot"... yeah, seems a bit dull...

worse, it doesn't even stand up to the classic Cold War system of Blue (US/West) against Red (Soviet/China) where the colors actually represented something and not just, well, a simple color code.

Or take the story in GW2 and compare it with SWTOR: If you only like 1 race in GW2 you will pretty much be playing the same story over and over again, despite picking different classes.

In SWTOR each class has their own story. Which makes much more sense as in both games races is really just very little but a visual representation. (Okay, fair enough if you say that in GW2 each race has their own starting ground... but how long are you going to stay there?)

And let's not forget presaentation: cinemtic cutscenes that allow individual decisions in SWTOR vs something that is really just a small step up from character presentation via static portrait and pure text output, no speech, maybe with some 8 bit music? ;-)

I will admit that I haven't tested all the stories in GW2 and that there is a chance that just as in SWTOR there may be good, interesting, involving stories just as there are sort of more "meh" ones (the Norn is defintely "meh"), but I don't really have high hopes...

not if I look at what GW2 is trying to sell as quests!

I mean sorry, but are you kidding me? Spending time to over and over chase kids around throwing snowballs at them because it makes them happy? Carry rabbit food around for ages trying to avoid those pesky bunnies that try to trip you? (Jeezzz, my Norn could easily squish a bunny by stepping on it!) Pull (and then fight) some larva in a vineyard... or alternatively wait for a 'shady customer' (yes, that's the name of the NPC) to slowly march intothe cloister, wait until he steals the keg and then chase him. Rinse and repeat that once every 10 min. What about taking care of another garden (in a lvl15-25 area) which involves sduch exciting tasks as throwing pest repelant onto of some larva? Or removing weed?

The list goes on and on featuring rather extremely boring tasks...

I'm so gratful that my toon chose a life of adventure and not, say, "keep-our-city clean"-er... oh wait, is that a hornet's nest I have to squash? Right there under that tag that I need to clean off?

In pretty much every other MMO you may have less questsa, but the quality of these is by far higher that what GW2 offers on average!

But hey, they have (automated) events... which you can do over and over and over and over and over by maybe just killing one of the enemies connected to that event and then going away. (Couldn't count the number of times I got a message in the BWE saying that I had shared in the completion of event X or Y despite having nothing really done aside from, well, just sort of passing by killed some low lev bad guy... *yawn* (In short: it that is the style of "event" we're supposed to look forward to, count me out!)

Rant, rant, rant...

the thing is that if GW2 gets away with offering such low quality AND future games will start doing the same, congrats to all those people who cheer on GW2 now while at the same time shouting damnation at any game that follows the WoW formula!

EDIT: Of course I should probably say that this is all based on the stage of the game as of the last BWE. Maybe GW2 will make a huge leap in improving all those low quality aspects and become the "bestest gamer, like, ever", but somehow I doubt it...

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by Goreson

From the recent announcement of The Elder Scrolls Online, we can see that most of the features are pretty much copy-pasted from GW2.

So, this has started me wondering. Is GW2, even before release, the touchstone for most other themepark MMOs to follow?

the thing is that if GW2 gets away with offering such low quality AND future games will start doing the same, congrats to all those people who cheer on GW2 now while at the same time shouting damnation at any game that follows the WoW formula!

EDIT: Of course I should probably say that this is all based on the stage of the game as of the last BWE. Maybe GW2 will make a huge leap in improving all those low quality aspects and become the "bestest gamer, like, ever", but somehow I doubt it...

I don't know if you were playing the same game as me, but each is entitled to their own opinions.

But don't you agree that GW2 althought in your opinion, Implemented everything but not enough of each is still better than the Stagant MMO's we have been getting each passing year.

Of course they could improve on their mechanics, but they are the first to get rid of Quest Hubs after WOW comes out. They are the first to eliminate Trinity after WOW comes out. They are the first to implement Explorable mode in dungeons with various unique side paths.

Sure you might not like what GW2 did with those mechanics, but won't you feel that because its been implemented, other Games in the future will use it and expand it to what you actually wanted it to become. Taking the Dynamic quests system steps further than what Anets did.

Not saying GW2 is the greatest game out there, but won't you agree that those mechanics that you didn't like in GW2 will be great in other games by other Developers that you like in games that you like.

Without GW2 we wouldn't have known that Agro systems can be eliminated, trinity can be forgone, quests don't need to be in a hub, death don't have to be immediate, and we don't need a single class to revive.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Asking on a fan forum is there game will be the example for all mmo's to come in near future lol.

I say maybe i don't know yet.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

Originally posted by Lucioon

I don't know if you were playing the same game as me, but each is entitled to their own opinions.
    But don't you agree that GW2 althought in your opinion, Implemented everything but not enough of each is still better than the Stagant MMO's we have been getting each passing year.
    Of course they could improve on their mechanics, but they are the first to get rid of Quest Hubs after WOW comes out. They are the first to eliminate Trinity after WOW comes out. They are the first to implement Explorable mode in dungeons with various unique side paths.
    Sure you might not like what GW2 did with those mechanics, but won't you feel that because its been implemented, other Games in the future will use it and expand it to what you actually wanted it to become. Taking the Dynamic quests system steps further than what Anets did.
    Not saying GW2 is the greatest game out there, but won't you agree that those mechanics that you didn't like in GW2 will be great in other games by other Developers that you like in games that you like.
    Without GW2 we wouldn't have known that Agro systems can be eliminated, trinity can be forgone, quests don't need to be in a hub, death don't have to be immediate, and we don't need a single class to revive.

Seriously are you realy take this guy you reply for real, its obvious he hate GW2 and im also convinced he based his opinion on what he have heared of other bait/trolls his whole analyse is rediculous.

The thing is that GW2 is filled to the (pretty much) max with features - PvP, WvWvW, storyline, non-story quests, automated events, class flexiibility, okay character creation system...
    but the problem is that GW2 is pretty much delivering on a level that is way below how the individual feature has already been presented.
    Compare the WvWvW of GW2 with the RvR of DAoC: while in DAoC I had realm pride because my realm was going against their arch-nemesis (based on a 'realistic' background) all GW2 offers is a simple color game: "hello, I'm Green, for the next 2 weeks I'll be fighting you Blue and Red lot"... yeah, seems a bit dull...
    worse, it doesn't even stand up to the classic Cold War system of Blue (US/West) against Red (Soviet/China) where the colors actually represented something and not just, well, a simple color code.
    Or take the story in GW2 and compare it with SWTOR: If you only like 1 race in GW2 you will pretty much be playing the same story over and over again, despite picking different classes.
    In SWTOR each class has their own story. Which makes much more sense as in both games races is really just very little but a visual representation. (Okay, fair enough if you say that in GW2 each race has their own starting ground... but how long are you going to stay there?)
    And let's not forget presaentation: cinemtic cutscenes that allow individual decisions in SWTOR vs something that is really just a small step up from character presentation via static portrait and pure text output, no speech, maybe with some 8 bit music? ;-)
    I will admit that I haven't tested all the stories in GW2 and that there is a chance that just as in SWTOR there may be good, interesting, involving stories just as there are sort of more "meh" ones (the Norn is defintely "meh"), but I don't really have high hopes...
    not if I look at what GW2 is trying to sell as quests!
    I mean sorry, but are you kidding me? Spending time to over and over chase kids around throwing snowballs at them because it makes them happy? Carry rabbit food around for ages trying to avoid those pesky bunnies that try to trip you? (Jeezzz, my Norn could easily squish a bunny by stepping on it!) Pull (and then fight) some larva in a vineyard... or alternatively wait for a 'shady customer' (yes, that's the name of the NPC) to slowly march intothe cloister, wait until he steals the keg and then chase him. Rinse and repeat that once every 10 min. What about taking care of another garden (in a lvl15-25 area) which involves sduch exciting tasks as throwing pest repelant onto of some larva? Or removing weed?
    The list goes on and on featuring rather extremely boring tasks...
    I'm so gratful that my toon chose a life of adventure and not, say, "keep-our-city clean"-er... oh wait, is that a hornet's nest I have to squash? Right there under that tag that I need to clean off?
    In pretty much every other MMO you may have less questsa, but the quality of these is by far higher that what GW2 offers on average!
    But hey, they have (automated) events... which you can do over and over and over and over and over by maybe just killing one of the enemies connected to that event and then going away. (Couldn't count the number of times I got a message in the BWE saying that I had shared in the completion of event X or Y despite having nothing really done aside from, well, just sort of passing by killed some low lev bad guy... *yawn* (In short: it that is the style of "event" we're supposed to look forward to, count me out!)
    Rant, rant, rant...

First of all you hate GW2 thats obvious secondly you have not played for 1 minute GW2 thirdly nomatter what arenanet do you will say its crap and defend your swtor/wow or daoc.

Your whole reply is a joke and can't be taken serious at all.

Its also posible and i have strong feeling this happen on regular bases that there are people hired/payed by other companys to roam forums spread rediculous story of how game sucks and write piece like this to make it if the game is not worth playing becouse is avarage or crap.

And when i read your reply i think its latter.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by Classicstar

snip

First of all you hate GW2 thats obvious secondly you have not played for 1 minute GW2 thirdly nomatter what arenanet do you will say its crap and defend your swtor/wow or daoc.

Your whole reply is a joke and can't be taken serious at all.

Its also posible and i have strong feeling this happen on regular bases that there are people hired/payed by other companys to roam forums spread rediculous story of how game sucks and write piece like this to make it if the game is not worth playing becouse is avarage or crap.

And when i read your reply i think its latter.

to be honest Goreson's seems to be talking about some caricature of GW2 rather than the actual game, it is just a bit odd and ill informed.  Re Elder Scrolls copying GW2, and dont think this is the case either - GW2 is not unique, but what it has done is nodded to all the best bits of mmorgs, and addressed many of the problems that have evolved - and then made their own game with their own vision  i.e the GW1 world - while taking into account everythnig they have learned.  They have a vision - its the GW1 world but with modernised game play elements.  Looking at Elder as it has been portrayed at the moment, there is no such learning, and they are building a virtual world that is not in keeping with the vision and depth of the Elder world.  They are direct opposites - and thats without addressing more technical issues like games engine etc.

edit spelling.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I'm not sure if this is the lamest complaint about GW2 I've seen yet, but it's damned close.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Eir_S

I'm not sure if this is the lamest complaint about GW2 I've seen yet, but it's damned close.

Wait, so all these years which I spent playing GW1, I was actually fighting the soviets?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by heartless

Wait, so all these years which I spent playing GW1, I was actually fighting the soviets?

In Soviet Russia, Guild Wars you!

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Did u just realized that now?? omg everyone knew that ! ^^

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by BadSpock

In Soviet Russia, Guild Wars you!

How about.. in Soviet Russia, Guild Wars 2 hypes YOU.  I got a kick out of my own joke...... /sadface

• IkonicIkonic Member UncommonPosts: 310

Originally posted by Kabaal

It isn't changing anything. The game is combining good features from other games, it's not anything revolutionary but rather just seems that way due to the sheer amount of drivel that has tried to pass as the next best thing over the past few years.

Nicely put!