Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

interview with egomancer

Comments

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

The game still has its ups, past its golden age though.  I hear new players have a rough time getting started and usually just find guilds to get them up and done with leveling.  Bots have basically become a crutch of the game, and those that have them win/those without lose.  The game can still be really fun if you can find a good set of people to hang out with, and the game still has -the- best community I've ever met.  If I were you I'd suggest going for one of the more active servers, even if you like small populations.  The three realm divide still makes places less active than they'd seem, but you'll actually see someone every so often.

But, to point out problems I think you'd notice:  Lack of new players to group with pre-20, inefficiency in RvR without a 'buffbot' or friend with one. (Some classes do well without them though, just not most)

That's really all I can think of...the game is still pretty solid.  Finding people to take you under wing is pretty much as simple as asking.  They have a 14-day trial floating around somewhere too, and would be worth a try if only to help you decide to keep going.

Oh, and if you decide to get the game but are too lazy to leave your house like me, www.gamersloot.com sells tons of CD keys at next to store cost and I always get mine within 15-20mins of ordering.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by notalent
    did anyone else read this interview?i dunno it just kinda seems like egomancer isnt too concerned with the game..maybe its just me im really high ::::28::

I haven't really kept up with the game much til recently when it very contraversial but all I got out of that interview was...

"Yes, we were gonna do that, but now we can't cause we have to get it out so we are working on thinking up something else to do instead that we can do quicker"

Thats all I kept hearing out of it over and over, I don't think he nailed down a single detail, it honestly seemed to me that there actually was a lack of plan on the game and they really aren't even sure what they are developing now.

Thats just my take of the interview based on nothing else I have read anywhere, that interview was rather horrible.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

I don't follow where you're pulling this from?  Really, they only talked about city sieges, takeovers, and player-made cities.  His response to all three were that they were regretably pulled from release due to current issues (not 100% financial to be exact) but would be top priority after the usual post-release BugMonth.  I'm not sure if you're saying they're making stuff up to fluff the game or if they're working on adding the more minor of planned/promised features to get the game as complete as possible (which would be a good thing)?  Apparently he said he works a lot of overtime, plans to put bugs over new content (after promised content is in, definate +'s) and the ease of becoming a mage.  I think he did a pretty decent job of answering the questions given him without rambling on like I usually end up doing.

Ok, first off, "only" those things? That seems like a rather huge segment of the game to me unless its just another PvE or open PvP ganking style game to me but I could be missing something, it wouldn't be a first time. Secondly, he touched on more then that, and specifically talked about the magic system at the end of it, which was a sizable portion of the interview.

If I am wrong cool, I would like to see another good game come out. I am not against mourning, its a computer game, I have nothing against it, but consider that was an interview with the guy in charge, he sure sounded rather unsure of himself, and honestly I was alittle put aside with the fact that he directly plugged in hours when asked how much time he puts in, I felt like he wanted credit where none should be needed. He gets paid, and well I am sure.

Never said he made stuff up and never indicated anything of the such, I clearly said what I got out of the interview which to me sounded like a "We don't have a plan anymore, we are figuring it out as we go because we really don't know at this point". Thats what I got out of it, I am sorry if you don't understand what I am saying or see where I get it from.

That and now he is stating the game obviously won't be complete when it goes final, and you may or may not be paying more for the rest of the game once they get it made, or parts of it.

My $.02 worth,

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

While it is a large portion of the game, it isn't the only promised innovation (not so much an innovation as several games have variations of this).  I know he spoke of the magic system, but he was only mentioning how hard/easy it would be to become a mage in the game.  As stated in their forums, magic is finished and in, just not polished.

Its not about being against or for Mourning, just wondering how you got to what you got to with the interview.  No bashing, no trashing.

In MMOs, giving a definitive timeline is one of the most fatal errors someone can make.  You can't look at a release and say, "Okay, this is how things are GOING to work." So, it's not too uncommon to not have any real info to give when asked the, "What's planned..." question.  Even so, he did give a pretty stable response.  First, they plan to iron out all bug fixes brought about at release (Roughly one month). Then, depending on game stability and other unmentioned possibilities, add the promised content of the game.  He was asked how much time he put in per week, what did you expect him to say, "Enough?"  This is the same guy that was accused of not saying enough, now too much.

I didn't mean to imply you were saying they made stuff up.  Just that your wording had me confused as to if you meant they were just adding off the wall features to pass time or not.  Sorry.  As for the game going final, and as said many times, name one for me that WAS complete when it came out.

The paying for the rest of the content, I agree, is a bit of a shocker.  Hopefully not, but time will tell.

(By the way, not trying to prove wrong or right.  Just talking things out with you.  Not a flame troll or anything, I like to think.)

Don't sweat it, am enjoying the discussion, I haven't taken anything you said against myself or personally. I got alittle more out of the magic system comments I guess then you perhaps? It sounded to me like they wanted to do it one way, couldn't get that done in time so are going to do it this other way instead and see how it all pan's out? As I said, I don't know much about the game so I could be offtrack with all that, but then again sometimes fresh ears hear things ones that are aware don't if you get what I mean.

Also, I really have to disagree on releasing a game on time. They should have a good game model, a very solid concept of what they have to make, all the concepts thought out before starting development. Now that doesn't mean they would need to change or update the model and concept as they go if they find flaws in their logic, but a company really should have some timeline to work with. The "when its done its done" concept ends up making a worst product because this get slack and stale. To me he sounded like a man without a plan, or a model, and they each little segment of the game they write is "added in" as they come up with it, making for a collection of little systems instead of a nice big product.

I hope it works out for them, I guess its all speculation though until its released and we see first hand. To me this all just sounds like SWG again, REAL badly.

- Scaris

• brando13184brando13184 Member UncommonPosts: 67

The biggest fear I had, and I knew this was going to happen, was that most of the answers would get lost in the translation, but I figured I would post Ego's exact words in order to let everyone decide for themselves instead of trying to clarify everything.

The main focus, or selling point, of Mourning is the bloodline/lineage feature as well as the fame and focus on roleplaying.  The fact that they have Open PVP is only to further support the roleplaying aspect.

A lot of people tend to run with the PvP aspect and proclaim that is the center of the game, however, its not.  About 4-6 months ago, the game took a huge change in direction.  The Dev Team decided to add Player Sieges and Conquerable Territory.  This isn't a system that you just up and add on a whim.  The game originally did not have the scale of conquest, that it now has planned.  This was also the reason for the first set of delays.

The Magic system is in the game and will be there for release.  The whole point that Ego was trying to get across, and what I was aiming for, was to explain that Mages and Wizardcraft would be a MUCH more involved process than most games.  Instead of having set levels of spells... You get to CREATE your own customized spells.  No longer will you pick up a scroll for Fireball I through IV ... instead you will have control over the variables of the spell, which will result in various changes in the cost in terms of mana, stamina, regeants, casting time, reset time, etc.  The advanced parts of this system are still being worked on, but the basic Mage schools with ... I believe, the standard, non-customized spells, will be in the game at launch.  You'll be able to be a Mage, just won't be able to hand tailor all of your spells.

The other thing I was hoping to get at, was the city siege aspect.  Like I explained before, its a system that was added in order to spice up the game and make it much more interactive.  It is a last minute addition (heh, in the grand scheme of 3.5 years of development, I consider last 6 months of the project .. the last minute) and is responsible for most of the delays.  They do have the means to add in Player Made cities.  Instead of doing it in realtime, as in Horizons, you will have to petition the gods for them to add it in with the next corresponding patch.  There are plans to further customize the game engine to allow for the realtime update... its just a matter of sitting down and figuring out the collision detection and updating them in realtime for the buildings/structures. 

Egomancer has decided that this is a now or never launch window.  The community is getting overly restless; Most people claim they can wait for the game to get pushed back, but they are the same ones that get pissed off when a delay is announched.

Phew, hopefully that clears up some of the questions that people had.

Again, I never imagined that this interview would cost this much controversy, but then again I had a feeling it would cause some groans, heh. 

Can't wait to see what uproar the next one causes image

Woo! Much <3 for Brando!
  • RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

(OT) Darq my personal opinion is that DAoC is still very playable. Some people find the graphics too dated to deal with, I think they are acceptable for the period the game was released in and even ok to look at now. The grind has allegedly been improved with exp bonuses for certain things etc. I guess it depends what your after but like I said if I didnt have anything else to do its probably the only older MMO I would re-look at.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

The catacombs update makes the characters look AMAZING in my opinion, even by today's standards.  If graphics are big for you I'd definately recommend getting it.  Aside from that though, it didn't add much you'd miss.
  • darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Thanks for the opinions, guys. I might try it out sometime when i have the time perhaps....

Anyways...about that Mourning game LOL *deftly steers thread back on track*

Beta tomorrow! (Or the MMO-Market version of tomorrow!)  I'll be in this month hopefully.
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I can live with parts of the game being not in at launch, I can even live with a certain amount of bugs. As long as the game does not crash every fifteen minutes and the FPS is not a slide show I will be happy because for me at least the main focus of a MMORPG is the community. I prefer EQII over WoW simply because of that factor and yes I have played both and am not trying to de rail the thread here. At any rate I do hope the game is semi playable and successful because I really need a long term MMORPG to find a semi permanent home in and from the outside at least I think Mourning may be that game.

I miss DAoC

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

(OT)I have a 36 Ranger in EQ2 and a 16 Hunter in WoW. One thing that has REALLY surprised me is the greater emphasis on proper roleplaying in WoW. I play on RP servers in both games. The RPing in EQ2 seems almost non existant and yet in WoW if you say something OOC without saying its OOC half the zone leaps on you and chastises you for not RPing properly. I wasnt expecting that and its a nice change especially on the horde side to see so many people at least trying to RP consistently.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

I hate to totally derail this thread but I noticed the exact same thing. I have a 22 assassin on Toxxulia and a 41 warrior on Stonemaul, just for notes.

Another thing I noticed between DAoC, and WoW, is that it seems generally that the side viewed as 'evil' (Horde and Midgard in my case) has, on average, a more mature and RPish community as opposed to the good guys with elves and such. When you look at most PvP 1337 dudes, you would think they'd be playing trolls and ogres and ugly things, but apparently not!

Originally posted by Razorback

(OT)I have a 36 Ranger in EQ2 and a 16 Hunter in WoW. One thing that has REALLY surprised me is the greater emphasis on proper roleplaying in WoW. I play on RP servers in both games. The RPing in EQ2 seems almost non existant and yet in WoW if you say something OOC without saying its OOC half the zone leaps on you and chastises you for not RPing properly.

Way off topic It seems as if I totally derailed the thread here but I found that the RP'ing was way over the top in WoW also as far as chastising, I guess the RP'ers felt like they had to over compensate to keep the  less mature players in line. All in all I find EQII a more enjoyable game, although far from perfect.

At any rate I am intensely curious as to what will transpire over the next couple of days as far as Mourning goes.  The 'beta' invites should be going out today and the commercial version next week. At the moment unless I am one of the non pre order invites I will just monitor the boards and see what transpires.

I miss DAoC

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Originally posted by Jackdog
    Originally posted by Razorback
    (OT)I have a 36 Ranger in EQ2 and a 16 Hunter in WoW. One thing that has REALLY surprised me is the greater emphasis on proper roleplaying in WoW. I play on RP servers in both games. The RPing in EQ2 seems almost non existant and yet in WoW if you say something OOC without saying its OOC half the zone leaps on you and chastises you for not RPing properly. Way off topic It seems as if I totally derailed the thread here but I found that the RP'ing was way over the top in WoW also as far as chastising, I guess the RP'ers felt like they had to over compensate to keep the less mature players in line. All in all I find EQII a more enjoyable game, although far from perfect.
    At any rate I am intensely curious as to what will transpire over the next couple of days as far as Mourning goes. The 'beta' invites should be going out today and the commercial version next week. At the moment unless I am one of the non pre order invites I will just monitor the boards and see what transpires.

Sadly from how beta is being handled to the recent stuff revealed in the interview. Mourning just seems like it's going to be another 'Horizons'. Even if (and that's a big if) the game was released with no bugs. I still wouldn't purchase it at this point. Not until City Sieging/Management are placed in game.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• stav1stav1 Member Posts: 282

I want to add that although i listed all the features that won't be in upon release, i have preordered and don't regret doing so.

The reason is that i think that Mourning will innovate far more in its launch state than WoW/EQ2 do now. The skill system in Mourning alone is worth the price of admission in my opinion.

Now as i said in a previous post there is a chance that Mourning could on release feel like a cookie-cutter mmorpg. Personally i'm looking forward to OB and i do feel the game will be unique. But especially unique 3 months after releaseimage

In summary i think Mourning has alot of attractive featuresand if implemented well now or over the next 3/4 months the game will have a strong player base.

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Well, I suppose there was some intelligent discussion going on in this thread....

Wow, what I wouldn't give for an overly-zealous Mourning moderator here to dissipate the concentration of retard.

Radlin, I'm sorry that your personal life lacks enough drama to keep you entertained through the day, but please, no one here really wants to hear about your animosities or religious beliefs.

And to save you from having to respond, I am a loser, my life does suck, I am lame, my mother does have some mental, physical, or other form of defect or disability.

Well I am far from rabid and would not even classify myself in the fanbois camp and I also think that if Mourning can deliver a good playable game even with the cut down feature list it will be far superior to WoW or EQII for that matter.

I like the skill based system and the idea of my character being powerful enough for PvP with approximately 50 hours play. I like all of the RP enhancing stuff such as the inheritance and permadeath.

Quite frankly I have just about gave up on the big houses ever releasing anything even close to groundbreaking or new in a fantasy based MMORPG. Games like Mourning and DnL are my last hopes for this genre.

I miss DAoC

• notalentnotalent Member Posts: 123

Originally posted by stav1
    I want to add that although i listed all the features that won't be in upon release, i have preordered and don't regret doing so.

ya i have it preordered too, but ive been thinkin about cancelin it..not sure yet

• happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

You know, MMORPG players should be studied, a new game is like a new cult or religion...  You have your blind followers, your unfallible skeptics and your GM DEV gods that bestow the knowlege that is supposed to unravel the mystery of life.

Now I'm all for a small time developer, but do you fans realize you are engaging in the activity you are against?  If you champion a developer because they are the under dog isn't that the same as championing or hating a larger company soley because they are a larger company?

I ask, what has this COMPANY (removing all the "go underdog" cheerleading) offered?  A great many things were uttered from above, but as it has been shown in an interview...  few shall be bestowed.  You are being offered a house with no plumbing. 

Now let us look at the companies past contributions, screenshots?  Movies? Lore? ANYTHING???  I went to the website... or should I say forum because thats all it is...  I think theyve spent more time putting people in the graveyard or showing off how they ban people then developing the game.  The Screenshots back me up.  Now granted those screenshots are OLD, heck there's 2002 on a lot of the stuff, but they've put nothing else up.  No information is really being passed out.  This is not the way an excited developer works. And how long have they been working on this?

So in regards to all of these future implementations, what makes you think any of it is going to be done in any sort of a near future when they cant even be bothered to educate the public on what the game is.  The company is horrible to its own pre customers, read their forums.. err website...  Everyone who disagrees is shot in the back of the head with a "ban award."

Kinda like how president bush before the election on the campaign trail used the secret service to remove protesters till the media started reporting it.

All im saying with that is lack of proffesionalism, and quite frankly I dont want to buy a new car from a guy who runs around giving people swishies, I want a respectable person in a suit who can at least appear to be a proffesional.  If this is all how they run thier website, how will they run their game... favoritism... I shudder to think of the GM abuse.

It's been said on this forum people dont even post their because of the nazism.  So in my mind they've lost the battle on 2 fronts:  like when hitler invaded poland and they had nothing better then horse drawn weaponry for the military... they have lost the technology front with the poor showing. (if the screenshots are out of date... they arent bothering to show me so dont flame me saying things like "you havent played it" because they havent released it so technically neither have you:))

And on the other front like in the american civil war one side had poorly trained officers that cost a great deal in a trickle down effect, and i feel mourning has suffered from this... lack of leadership that one has come to expect.

• notalentnotalent Member Posts: 123

i dunno..if i wanna play the game ill play the game, and if not then i wont. but i guess you can look at it that way ::::28::

• happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

I find it funny the very day I decide to voice my opinion they actually release screenshots image

but I do have a question about them..  Is it just me or do the distances not add up?  It looks... wrong somehow when you're looking off into othe distance it doesnt look ... um... distant?

I don't know how to properly say what I mean, does anyone agree? or disagree?

Only other real gripe is that they don't release anything in forever and they finally give us some new pictures... of the same area.

But hey at least it's something right.