Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ElderScrolls RPG combat not possible in a MMO

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

I am starting to feel that the ESO annoucement is the best advertising Darkfall 1 & 2 could hope for.

I hope Zenimax keeps saying what is not possible in an MMO, its brilliant advertising.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by adam_nox

This misconception is perpetuated by apologists for the mainstream mmos, and those involved in the development and profiteering of those mmos, and to a smaller degree by people who believe this BS about network technology not being good enough. 

It needs to stop.  We need to stop making excuses for this kind of crap.

Misconception? The only examples we have are the examples we have, if an MMO came out with stellar tight responsive action combat that actually offered a full on game all done well, that conception would be different. Does that opinion make me an apologist?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by adam_nox

This misconception is perpetuated by apologists for the mainstream mmos, and those involved in the development and profiteering of those mmos, and to a smaller degree by people who believe this BS about network technology not being good enough. 

It needs to stop.  We need to stop making excuses for this kind of crap.

Misconception? The only examples we have are the examples we have, if an MMO came out with stellar tight responsive action combat that actually offered a full on game all done well, that conception would be different. Does that opinion make me an apologist?

I have played Darkfall and Skyim and to be frank once you get use to the controls of Darkfall the combat experience between the two games is pretty much exactly the same. The only difference is that Darkfall as a F8ck ton more options during combat and yet a player can still get to 100 or so spells without lifting their hand off the mouse of WSAD keys

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I have played Darkfall and Skyim and to be frank once you get use to the controls of Darkfall the combat experience between the two games is pretty much exactly the same. The only difference is that Darkfall as a F8ck ton more options during combat and yet a player can still get to 100 or so spells without lifting their hand off the mouse of WSAD keys

With Darkfall my biggest gripe is it seemed they focused so much on combat (which I wasn't a fan of their implementation) the rest of the game suffered, it didn't have a whole lot of options when I gave it a spin, it simply seemed as though the only thing to do was PVP and PVP some more (not to mention the mob grind). Which I'm fine with to an extent, but I feel M&B warband (& others) does/do it way better, even if numbers aren't as massive, and most are free after a small box purchase. 

That may have changed, but nothing I saw made me think about waiting around to see if it did.

With Darkfall my biggest gripe is it seemed they focused so much on combat (which I wasn't a fan of their implementation) the rest of the game suffered, it didn't have a whole lot of options when I gave it a spin, it simply seemed as though the only thing to do was PVP and PVP some more. Which I'm fine with to an extent, but I feel M&B warband (& others) does/do it way better, even if numbers aren't as massive, and most are free after a small box purchase. 

That may have changed, but nothing I saw made me think about waiting around to see if it did.

when talking about a feature one has to focus on the feature being discussed. Not how it all works in the game together.

Anyone who suggests that a tight adrenaline puming FPS style combat engine is not possible in an MMO simply doesnt know what they are talking about or liying.

When you start talking about, the game only focused on that, or, skills where not ballanced well etc that is a side note. not the key point.

The ONLY valid technical arguement to be frank is number of players in game at once, thats it

With Darkfall my biggest gripe is it seemed they focused so much on combat (which I wasn't a fan of their implementation) the rest of the game suffered, it didn't have a whole lot of options when I gave it a spin, it simply seemed as though the only thing to do was PVP and PVP some more. Which I'm fine with to an extent, but I feel M&B warband (& others) does/do it way better, even if numbers aren't as massive, and most are free after a small box purchase. 

when talking about a feature one has to focus on the feature being discussed. Not how it all works in the game together.

Anyone who suggests that a tight adrenaline puming FPS style combat engine is not possible in an MMO simply doesnt know what they are talking about or liying.

When you start talking about, the game only focused on that, or, skills where not ballanced well etc that is a side note. not the key point.

The ONLY valid technical arguement to be frank is number of players in game at once, thats it

Well I disagree because the point is why didn't they or couldn't they do it? Is it not? In terms of game development it all goes hand in hand really.

Well I disagree because the point is why didn't they or couldn't they do it? Is it not? In terms of game development it all goes hand in hand really.

let me make sure I understand this correctly.

The combat engine features of Darkfall didnt work becuase they didnt put in enough other content in the game to do.The game as a whole was too focused on combat which is why the combat engine as a feature didnt work and couldnt work in an MMO.

did I get that right?

or another way to say it is 'Darkfall combat engine didnt work because the game didnt have enough quests'

The combat engine features of Darkfall didnt work becuase they didnt put in enough other content in the game to do.The game as a whole was too focused on combat which is why the combat engine as a feature didnt work and couldnt work in an MMO.

did I get that right?

No you didn't. I said I personally didn't like the combat, but the biggest problem I had with the game was that the game didn't seem to offer much more than PVP and mob grinding, and I think that has something to do with the time it took to get their combat to where it is.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

To use an analogy for my feeling of what Zenimax has done here.....If this were football, with TESO, Zenimax is starting out at 1st & 10 with the ball on the 50 yard line....and what play do they call to start out... PUNT!

did I get that right?

No you didn't. I said I personally didn't like the combat, but the biggest problem I had with the game was that the game didn't seem to offer much more than PVP and mob grinding, and I think that has something to do with the time it took to get their combat to where it is.

we are not talking about the game as a whole. I thought we were trying to compare combat engines.

lets try to focus if we can

we are not talking about the game as a whole. I thought we were trying to compare combat engines.

And my opinion toward the OP's question, one which I've stated more than once in this thread. Is that I don't think the issue is not being able to do it (because it's impossible), it's not wanting to because they don't want to focus efforts so much on one feature like a combat engine, IE: getting the polish level they'd want with it. Because as I said it all goes hand in hand when it comes to game development. Too much fcous on one feature takes away from others.

And my opinion toward the OP's question, one which I've stated more than once in this thread. Is that I don't think the issue is not being able to do it (because it's impossible), it's not wanting to because they don't want to focus efforts so much on one feature like a combat engine, IE: getting the polish level they'd want with it. Because as I said it all goes hand in hand when it comes to game development. Too much fcous on one feature takes away from others.

Yes we know that.

in fact, they have made it clear they really dont want to focus on anything.

The sad fact is a 3rd rate developer company with virtually no money is doing it but for profit margins TES developers want to not spend the development time because they have the title and they know that will pull in people.

THAT we all know.

Understand that AVs development team is likely to be able as large as the front desk help at Zenimax

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

I hated the combat in Skyrim.  Playing a mage was pretty annoying since you constantly had to pause the game to cast more than 2 spells.  I don't think making a combat system like that would work in an MMORPG mainly because it sucks.  I understand why they want to come up with something new and they should.  I just worry that they will pull a Bioware and make an extremely bad game like SWTOR.  If they are creative, and they actually decide not to clone WoW, then maybe they can come up with a great game.  My money is on TES online being a crappy WoW clone like SWTOR.  However, I would be happy to be proven wrong. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

Yes we know that.

The sad fact is a 3rd rate developer company with virtually no money is doing it but for profit margins TES developers want to not spend the development time because they have the title and they know that will pull in people.

THAT we all know.

Understand that AVs development team is likely to be able as large as the front desk help at Zenimax

Weren't you just telling me too focus on combat engines?

• biogermbiogerm Member UncommonPosts: 168

Originally posted by AdamTM

Originally posted by greyed-out

Originally posted by AdamTM

Originally posted by tatbounty

guess i'm in the minority on this thread..but i can't stand ANY fps games..i wouldn't want em to go fps

In TES you have the choice to either FP or TP, what would have been the problem of adding both to TESO?

Due to the situational awareness advantages of Third Person, in any multiplayer or competitive environment would just about force you to use it, so the game would be very difficult to balance between the two.  Other devs have spoken about this before; in reality it would come down to just using one or the other.

Multiplayer shooters like War Inc. Battlezone offer both third person play and first person play.

They dont seem too concerned about the ballancing issues.

Especially since you would have the -choice- and if it turns out that TP is prefferable for PVP, everybody is still on the same footing with TP, because everyone can use it in PVP, but in PVE you could still have immersion if you want. Not everyone will want to PVP.

There are no ballancing issues with this, especially if you take turn-based or roll-based combat into account with tab-target.

Tribes ascend also have FP and TP, and most of the time you will be in FP, id say like 90% of the time.

no balance issues with that.

I 3930k -- Rampage IV Extreme -- G.skill RipjawsZ 32 GB -- Corsair Force Series 3 120gb -- G.skill Phoenix Pro 60gb -- WD 1 TB Black -- Corsair H 100 -- Thermaltake Level 10 Gt Snow Edition -- Corsair AX1200 -- Asus 560 Ti Sli -- Microsoft Sidewinder X4 -- Logitech G5 -- DELL UltraSharp 2007FP -- Samsung Syncmaster Sa700 -- Logitech Z2300 -- Logitech G35 -- Logitech G600 White -- coming soon : Dell U2711.

Yes we know that.

THAT we all know.

its called sequitur.

normal conversation flow isnt like this

person 1: I think darkfall combat engine is great and I dont see why an engine that like that couldnt work in an MMO

person 2: no it would work becuase I didnt like darkfall that much becuase it was too focused on combat.

so a FPS combat engine in an MMO DOES work, someone not wanting to hire the staff to do it is a different conversation

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Yes we know that.

THAT we all know.

I'll take that a bit further and say that the front desk at Zenimax has more programming and design skills than the entire AV team.  =)

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by BigHatLogan

I hated the combat in Skyrim.  Playing a mage was pretty annoying since you constantly had to pause the game to cast more than 2 spells.  I don't think making a combat system like that would work in an MMORPG mainly because it sucks.  I understand why they want to come up with something new and they should.  I just worry that they will pull a Bioware and make an extremely bad game like SWTOR.  If they are creative, and they actually decide not to clone WoW, then maybe they can come up with a great game.  My money is on TES online being a crappy WoW clone like SWTOR.  However, I would be happy to be proven wrong. 

About skyrim combat, part of mage woes had to do more with the inability to craft your own spells, which in oblivion you'd only need one or two damage spells to be effective, so it worked well, plus it was a little faster to switch (at least on consoles). 

I think both spell crafting and the ability to have a better hotkey system (I like on consoles where you hold a shoulder button to bring up an 8 direction menu, it's so fast and intuitive, every rpg should use it) would fix the combat issues, which show that the issue isn't really skyrim combat per se, but a kind of meta gameplay involving the UI, so not particularly relevant to this convo.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Yes we know that.

THAT we all know.

its called sequitur.

normal conversation flow isnt like this

person 1: I think darkfall combat engine is great and I dont see why an engine that like that couldnt work in an MMO

person 2: no it would work becuase I didnt like darkfall that much becuase it was too focused on combat.

so a FPS combat engine in an MMO DOES work, someone not wanting to hire the staff to do it is a different conversation

This conversation is pointless.  What we have in front of us is quite a few games with a FPS combat system that doesn't work.  Either that, or it is significantly less efficient than what TESO is going to use.  Until you can actually argue why it is better, we pretty much have to assume that it simply isn't.

• greyed-outgreyed-out Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by Omali

Fine then, I'll set up my own Elder Scrolls game with blackjack and hookers. Actually, forget the game and the blackjack. 

LOL. Winner!

I've found the first leaked screen shot of your new Elder Scrolls MMO; looks awsome dude! Really nice rendering of the Orc female.

Originally posted by DAS1337

This conversation is pointless.  What we have in front of us is quite a few games with a FPS combat system that doesn't work.  Either that, or it is significantly less efficient than what TESO is going to use.  Until you can actually argue why it is better, we pretty much have to assume that it simply isn't.

but they DO work.

are you seriously trying to say that the combat engine in darkfall 'dosent work'? its as good or better than Skyrim combat

darkfall has a very good combat engine built by a small staff. PEROID.

It zenimax doesnt want to hire people to build and maintain one that is a different story but to say its not possible or that darkfall doesnt have a good one is beyond asine.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Its really sad when Darkfail is used as a positive example

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

Originally posted by caremuchless

I'll make this short.

I love the elder scroll series, but they are single player RPG's.

Do you really think it's possible to copy that type of combat into ESO and end up with something better than what is currently in Darkfall?

Personally, I believe that if the devs were copying Elder scrolls combat into a futuristic fullbody sim, it could work. 

But that tech isnt widely available in the market yet and what we have to work with (keyboard and mouse) cant do the combat justice without making it look like CounterStrike knife fighting (which is what I think DFO combat looks like)

So while Iam not defending the choices the devs made,

I find it hard to believe what most of you want in combat is possible.

mmo is not define by the combat  other than the publicity and  the masive person in 1 area or open world ,combat can be very unique in mmo so basically all game fit in mmo  as for theyr combat is up to the creator .

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Originally posted by TGSOL

I think if you asked every single TES fan, you'd find that the vast majority of people would rather have a small scale (2-8 player) multiplayer version of something like Skyrim than a generic WoW-esque MMO.

I know I'd choose Skyrim with a few friends over this MMO any day.

Every person I know agrees with you. Co-op TES much more appealing than a MMO because you can never have the TES feel in a MMO no matter what they try to do.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Thorbrand

Originally posted by TGSOL

I think if you asked every single TES fan, you'd find that the vast majority of people would rather have a small scale (2-8 player) multiplayer version of something like Skyrim than a generic WoW-esque MMO.

I know I'd choose Skyrim with a few friends over this MMO any day.

Every person I know agrees with you. Co-op TES much more appealing than a MMO because you can never have the TES feel in a MMO no matter what they try to do.

Agreed.

I'll pass on Elder WoW, thanks.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky