Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death of the keyboard in mmo's....good or bad..

Comments

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by dotdotdash

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

(yes, "mouses" is a proper plural form of computer mosue).

No, it isn't.

;)

Quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_mouse

"The online Oxford Dictionaries entry for mouse states the plural for the small rodent is mice, while the plural for the small computer connected device is either mice or mouses."

Yes...it is.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,881

I doubt that mice and keyboards are going to die any time soon. Motion controls, voice controls, touch-screen, and different controllers are all good additions and they have their places, but keyboard + mouse combo is still most effective way to control your computer (once you've learned to type well), for something other to replace keyboard + mouse it would have to be at least as effective.

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by Shmaw

Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    I think PC's will become obsolete in 5-10 years and everything will have switched over to augmented reality.
    This seems pretty hard to believe, but I for one think it's quite possible.  Google is already working on augmented reality programs.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/04/google-project-glas/

The video in your link is just conceptual video. Nothing yet has been developed to that point or will be anytime soon. Probably in 10-15 years given the pace and speed of technology.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQR49JGySTM

Built with an almagamation of tech. A version of this, only a lot more versatile, I can see taking the place of current input devices, not only for games but everything. All it will take is time and cheaper production costs, once the kids switch over every one else will.

Imo people over estimate how entuitive the mouse and keyboard really are because we start from a young age but they aren't really all that effective for what we really want.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737

The more that MMOs head toward console type of gaming the worse......

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 485

Originally posted by dotdotdash

(yes, "mouses" is a proper plural form of computer mosue).

No, it isn't.

;)

Quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_mouse

"The online Oxford Dictionaries entry for mouse states the plural for the small rodent is mice, while the plural for the small computer connected device is either mice or mouses."

Yes...it is.

My apologies.

I would relay a particular sentiment to you, however:

An accurate spelling of jail is "gaol", yet no one uses it. Why? Because the formal usage of the word died out. It's still contained within most dictionaries, and is perfectly acceptable, but it is unused as a rule rather than an exception. "Mouses" is a rarity, conveying a meaning much better served by the word "mice". In the same way that very few people use the spelling "gaol", very few people use the word "mouses" as communication is served better by using "mice".

The purpose of language is communication, a fact precluded by the idea that lots of dictionaries beyond the OED do not include the word mouses; one dictionary a language does not make.

I can only determine that you are either (a) a needless and tedious pedant (which is contradicted by your otherwise-atrocious English), or (b) someone that strives to stand out in a crowd, that you may better separate yourself from everyone around you, probably based on particular insecurities that define you as a person.

Either way, your use of the word "mouses" was clearly intentional, that you may either prove some inherent underlying knowledge above and beyond that of your peers, or so that you could - as you did - prove someone else wrong. In any event the outcome is the same; you demonstrate - to yourself, mostly - "intellectual prowess" and you feel better for it.

A frivolous endeavour, if ever there was one.

;D

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Originally posted by Trionicus

I doubt the joystick will remain and gesturing + voice takes a ton of energy from the human body. Probably keyboards will just get better until a direct mind link is formed and even then... maybe optical controls will make a huge play combined with projected controls based on the game.

Joysticks and gamepads aren't going anywhere. They're just plain more practical for certain types of games than mouses and keyboards (yes, "mouses" is a proper plural form of computer mosue).

I dont think any form of input will be disappearing. They'll just keep adding more and more, giving us more and more variety. In the end this is a good thing because its always nice to have options.

I wouldn't be surprised to see mouses with analog sticks tacked onto them in the future.

I spoke prematurely about voice commands, but I think in 50 years or less we won't have joysticks / pads. Interesting fact about mice and mouses wasn't gonna say anything about it btw lol.

EDIT: Seems u got psycoanalyzed for it! lol
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
  • KorgborgKorgborg Member UncommonPosts: 116

The interface of choice is also partly game and mechanic dependent.

I play at least 5 games where the keyboard/mouse combo is my preference.

In ffxi I have tried a few times with the keyboard/mouse even with the recent new control scheme and I just don't enjoy playing it without my ps3 controller.

In the future I have no objection to having to jack in to play my favorite games.

As long as Microsoft didn't write my "loading construct".

Not sure I'd like to risk a BSOD with my brain.  image

If you cut it too short you can always nail a piece on the end.

If you cut it too long then what the hell are you gonna do?

• oblitrifyoblitrify Member Posts: 14

Interesting topic. There are so many different opinions on the subject of game interfaces and usability that a google search quickly provides way more information than one needs. Personally, I don't think the keyboard/mouse combo will disappear any time soon. Granted there are games like DCUO that you can play with a PS3 controller but it hasn't caught on with main-stream MMO players yet simply because we're set in our ways. It would be interesting to see how a touch interface would work, though.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

In my opinion standing in front of your computer shouting fireball, left, right etc. makes you look like an idiot, not to mention it takes a lot longer to do that than press a button on the keyboard. Motion capture technology makes you get tired fast.

Tech that relies on implanting chips or ports in our brain or that can interpret eye movement and pupil contraction/dialation to understand what you want would be viable in replacing the keyboard, but this stuff has to go through other mediums like medicine and/or the army before making it into gaming.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I had an emminently accurate silver broadsword of vanquishing that I used to always bring to Deceit.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

Originally posted by rungard

its my opinion that the keyboard is going to become obsolete, and everything is going to go to voice and gesture based gaming.

For mmo's i think the mouse will survive, and i actually think well end up with a mouse and a joystick combo, with voice being used in place of the current ui. I think gestures will be there too but they will take a little bit of a back seat in mmo's

as someone who is a terrible typer i think this is a great thing coming. What do you think?

Interesting thoughts.  I'm all for it just it would be very difficult for a gold seller to spam chat without a keyboard.  I'm not sure the voice input would meet their needs.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I don't know about gesture based stuff but I much prefer a 360 controller over a keyboard and mouse unless it's a FPS.

Contorting your hands all over the keyboard for games that have many keybinds just feels very unnatural and is quite annoying.

Originally posted by Xzen

This is the future. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJJPbpHoPWo

In the future, your game, your house and your social network will all blur together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

its my opinion that the keyboard is going to become obsolete, and everything is going to go to voice and gesture based gaming.
    For mmo's i think the mouse will survive, and i actually think well end up with a mouse and a joystick combo, with voice being used in place of the current ui. I think gestures will be there too but they will take a little bit of a back seat in mmo's
    as someone who is a terrible typer i think this is a great thing coming. What do you think?

I think PC's will become obsolete in 5-10 years and everything will have switched over to augmented reality.

Regular consumers wont accept a change to this platform anytime soon.

ie; where are the flying cars???

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by Loktofeit

In the future, your game, your house and your social network will all blur together:

wow.. thanks for posting that.. simply amazing

I suppose it might be more like that for people that are against transhumanism. Also seems like a waste of resources when all the same things can be acheived with AR http://spectrum.ieee.org/biomedical/bionics/augmented-reality-in-a-contact-lens/0

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

I will pray for that !

Originally posted by Arawulf

Interesting thoughts.  I'm all for it just it would be very difficult for a gold seller to spam chat without a keyboard.  I'm not sure the voice input would meet their needs.

LMAO!

That is so true! None of us even took the concerns of the rather extensive RMT community into consideration.

Thank you for pointing this out.    image

Also with respect to a "wetware" interface or somehow being jacked in... what about security?

Will Anonymous, lulzec or the ego driven a$$hat hacker du jour then decide that since I failed to take sufficient security precautions I "deserved" to get my brain hacked?

I mean information, and by extension my thoughts, "want" to be free don't they?  

Originally posted by Korgborg

Also with respect to a "wetware" interface or somehow being jacked in... what about security?

Will Anonymous, lulzec or the ego driven a$$hat hacker du jour then decide that since I failed to take sufficient security precautions I "deserved" to get my brain hacked?

Eh the only technology I've seen a patent for that could hurt you is from sony. The premise of the technology is to use ultrasound to generate experiences like memories in the persons mind. Like lets say the Movie Jaws for example. You would remember it as if you were actually there. Said technology could be used to alter some ones memories in a very ghost in the shell-esq way.

Originally posted by Korgborg

Eh the only technology I've seen a patent for that could hurt you is from sony. The premise of the technology is to use ultrasound to generate experiences like memories in the persons mind. Like lets say the Movie Jaws for example. You would remember it as if you were actually there. Said technology could be used to alter some ones memories in a very ghost in the shell-esq way.

I'm sorry but that patent would never stand on review.

There is plenty of prior art in the Matrix.

I suppose it might be more like that for people that are against transhumanism. Also seems like a waste of resources when all the same things can be acheived with AR http://spectrum.ieee.org/biomedical/bionics/augmented-reality-in-a-contact-lens/0

Now apply actual human behaviour and you will find there are far more people that would rather sit a PDA on their countertop than there are people willing to stick a foreign object in their eye.  ;)  Always consider your user, Xzen.

Now apply actual human behaviour and you will find there are far more people that would rather sit a PDA on their countertop than there are people willing to stick a foreign object in their eye.  ;)  Always consider your user, Xzen.

Thats why we are getting AR glasses/goggles. =)