Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death of the keyboard in mmo's....good or bad..

Comments

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Well, it would be nice to have 3D glasses and gloves to wear allowing you to interact, touch and hold everything  in the world around you.

Ah well-maybe someday that might happen.

• RocSekRocSek Member UncommonPosts: 59

Originally posted by Connmacart

In the future we will have flying cars. oh wait we didn't get those.

But we do....

Pal-V

http://homedesigninspiration.com/modern-electronic-products/future-flying-cars-made-in-the-pal-v-europe-nv-netherlands/

Terrafugia

http://www.terrafugia.com/

All I heard was... "Well aren't you just a little lolly pop triple dipped in psycho."

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I bet people were laughing at star trek in the 60's because they were tlaking on phones that had no wires...

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by Korgborg

Originally posted by Calerxes

This came in the post the other day so I do agree with you just waiting for the software to be made.

Is that Miss Moneypenny?

...and may I use this device to engage in intelligent conversation with 7 of 9? image

I'd just say hello and see where that gets you image

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

Originally posted by RefMinor

I think touch screens will be more prevalent, but keyboards will remain, not everyone wants their free time to be dominated by the mindless whining of snot nosed kids over voice.

+1

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

I think we are a long way off for voice activated gaming, when the first one hits the pc it will be a gimmick to start of, motion control was meant to be the way forward, it works for some games but is still a long way off for more complicated commands.  I have had the Wii for over 3 yrs now and it hardly gets used because the games are marketed to party type games and any games that have been created for single players havnt been good enough to capture my interest yet.

The keyboard will stay for a long time yet, its the most efficient for programming and for inputting data to get output results. Voice activation has a long way to go due to dialect problems, which are problematic to many mobile phones that use the feature.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    I doubt the joystick will remain and gesturing + voice takes a ton of energy from the human body. Probably keyboards will just get better until a direct mind link is formed and even then... maybe optical controls will make a huge play combined with projected controls based on the game.
  • FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Trionicus

I doubt the joystick will remain and gesturing + voice takes a ton of energy from the human body. Probably keyboards will just get better until a direct mind link is formed and even then... maybe optical controls will make a huge play combined with projected controls based on the game.

Joysticks and gamepads aren't going anywhere. They're just plain more practical for certain types of games than mouses and keyboards (yes, "mouses" is a proper plural form of computer mosue).

I dont think any form of input will be disappearing. They'll just keep adding more and more, giving us more and more variety. In the end this is a good thing because its always nice to have options.

I wouldn't be surprised to see mouses with analog sticks tacked onto them in the future.

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

Joysticks are too limited

I play almost 16 hours on my days off,impossible to keep the gameplay performance with voice ot motions cap toys

If a company release a game that forces me to use voice/motion cap toys i can even charge em if i get hurt lol

Keyboard ftw

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 485

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

(yes, "mouses" is a proper plural form of computer mosue).

No, it isn't.

;)

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

So a group of people are going to control their characters with their voice while talking in a voice chat with others? That's gonna sound hilarious. I'm going to pass on this one.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I heard that claim 10 years agao and then some when the ps2, and xbox first came out.

It still has not happened.   I dought it ever will.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

interesting.

im expecting that as mmo's evolve so will the method of control. For me controlling the character would still be the domain of the mouse ( control the x and y axis)  and joystick ( z axis), along with a number of buttons...

but certainly voice for most other things like bringing up maps, backpacks, opening chat channels, selecting options and so forth.

of course i would also expect options to this, such as the ability to limit incoming voice to a particular channel, or voice to text, voice to chat bubble etc.

im not sure where gestures would fit in, as some have said they fatigue you (lol!)  but im sure a few gestures could be used.

i think its a matter of optimal placement of controls using multiple types of tech rather than reliance completely on one technology.

i think it might be alot closer than people think as well.. next generation of consoles in 2013 closer....

• KorgborgKorgborg Member UncommonPosts: 116

This came in the post the other day so I do agree with you just waiting for the software to be made.

Is that Miss Moneypenny?

...and may I use this device to engage in intelligent conversation with 7 of 9? image

I'd just say hello and see where that gets you image

Hopefully assimilated image

If you cut it too short you can always nail a piece on the end.

If you cut it too long then what the hell are you gonna do?

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by Sovrath

I think touch screens will be more prevalent, but keyboards will remain, not everyone wants their free time to be dominated by the mindless whining of snot nosed kids over voice.

+1

This is so true.   We had one in guild kid was 5 or 6 and the guild leaders son.  The guild leader asked why nobody used vent except for raiding. I was the only one who actually told him why.  Even after that it still continued.

Honestly that is why I hate ventrilo and Team speak.  I find them great for raids but I don't need the snot nosed kids giving me a headache all day long. That also goes for the 78 year old professor we had in our guild when he talked it was like hearing somebody scratching nails across a chalk board,  and then you have the fool who has his sound turned all the way up , and no matter how much you turn him down your ears still bleed.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Oh course its a good thing, technology is evolving and soon we wont need a keyboard or mouse to you computers.

I look forward to the day :)

• Schoeneck93Schoeneck93 Member Posts: 70

I hate to burst your bubble but there is a flying car on the commercial market as of right now D:

So.... 

Anyways, about keyboards... Hm. I can imagine gaming moving towards augmented reality. 

Its a possiblity. They are currently making augmented reality contact lenses at a college somewhere, can't think of the name, (might be Berkely), and basically they can watch videos on it right now and that's about it. But, its still the start of something.

With Google investing in augmented glasses now too the business could very easily boom. I'm excited to see what's coming up in the next 10-20 years here. 

The Military already uses augmented "training" and certain pieces of equipment that are literally helmets built with quantum technology, its not long before that stuff starts coming into the civilian world now. 

It'd blow your mind what's already out there guys. 

*partial* invisibility cloaks, metals that are pretty much 10x stronger than current body armor metals, aerogel, honestly too much to talk about in a forum post. 

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828

Sorry, got no use for motion controls or touch screen or voice commands for gaming. A good ole opticl trackball mouse and Merc Stealth keyboard is all I need. The stuff like motion controls, touch screen and voice controls are either too gimmicky to be of much use or just don't appeal to the majority of gamers.

Still, I would take motion controls or touch screen over console controllers anyday.

• Schoeneck93Schoeneck93 Member Posts: 70

Ryukan, what about something where you move and attack/interact with the world purely with your thoughts?

That's the overall goal of augmented reality/quantum technology in gaming. 

The actual overall goal is full immersion. To the point where you couldn't tell the augmented world from the real world. But that's possibly centuries away. Who knows. 

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

Don't throw away the proven and refined methods just because new things are new.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

Originally posted by erictlewis

+1

This is so true.   We had one in guild kid was 5 or 6 and the guild leaders son.  The guild leader asked why nobody used vent except for raiding. I was the only one who actually told him why.  Even after that it still continued.

Honestly that is why I hate ventrilo and Team speak.  I find them great for raids but I don't need the snot nosed kids giving me a headache all day long. That also goes for the 78 year old professor we had in our guild when he talked it was like hearing somebody scratching nails across a chalk board,  and then you have the fool who has his sound turned all the way up , and no matter how much you turn him down your ears still bleed.

it is possible though that you simply talk and your speech gets turned into text, thus giving you the freedom of voice without the aggrivating factors.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by rungard

Originally posted by erictlewis

+1

it is possible though that you simply talk and your speech gets turned into text, thus giving you the freedom of voice without the aggrivating factors.

I think a technology like Dragon needs to be integrated into mmorpgs.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

Originally posted by rungard

its my opinion that the keyboard is going to become obsolete, and everything is going to go to voice and gesture based gaming.

For mmo's i think the mouse will survive, and i actually think well end up with a mouse and a joystick combo, with voice being used in place of the current ui. I think gestures will be there too but they will take a little bit of a back seat in mmo's

as someone who is a terrible typer i think this is a great thing coming. What do you think?

Seems a bit far fetched......I don't wanna give up my keyboard I don't like joysticks and gamepads for PC gaming

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828

Originally posted by Schoeneck93

Ryukan, what about something where you move and attack/interact with the world purely with your thoughts?

That's the overall goal of augmented reality/quantum technology in gaming. 

The actual overall goal is full immersion. To the point where you couldn't tell the augmented world from the real world. But that's possibly centuries away. Who knows. 

So instead of motion controls or voice controls it would be mind controls? It might not be so bad as long as it didn' require one to "jack into" their brain.

Interesting concept and far out, man. But I kind of feel like like mind control functionality would squandered on gaming and have a lot better applications in the real world. Also, I suspect governments would have a shit fit over mind-controlled technology not being regulated and controlled by them.. Lastly, I would not want to go anywhere near any kind of gaming periphials that interfaced directly with my brain if they were made by companies such as Activision and EA lol!

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

I often think about the next step in human-to-computer interfaces.  As a programmer, I find it hard to believe there is anything that can replace the utility and functionallity of a keyboard.  I can't imagine typing thousands of lines of code on a touchscreen device.  Additionally, I can't imagine speaking aloud thousands of lines of code in voice recognition (I have dabbled in voice recognition, and even after years and years of development, it's still a long ways off from being a viable solution).

The keyboard works and is here to stay.  At least until we can interface our brains directly to a computer.