Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The only reason people are hating on this game

ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Is because its using hero engine, and people think that it will fail like swtor.  Im hardcore laughing at these threads from people who are already trying to judge this game after it just gets ANNOUNCED. 

Played-Everything
Playing-LoL

Comments

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Nah, the real reason is once again taking a big name and making money grab which isn't atleast partialy faitfull to that name.  Just the typical industry way of doing things...

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Or they could be hating because official statements totally contradict or disreguard core TES mechanics which is what the fan based loved?  While I'll wait and see how this game developes but I ain't holding my breath on it.

• nax38nax38 Member Posts: 41

Couldn't care less what engine it is.

The artstyle looks nothing like any TES, it's not first person, and while I would be ok with 3 faction in some other games it makes no sense here.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

I say sit back and wait for more info before we judge,

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    They hate everything. Except GW 2, which is strange because this game looks to have a lot of GW 2 mechanics.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• Mister_ReMister_Re Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by nax38

Couldn't care less what engine it is.

The artstyle looks nothing like any TES, it's not first person, and while I would be ok with 3 faction in some other games it makes no sense here.

Pretty much ^^

But I'll still give it a shot... could be fun

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Is because its using hero engine, and people think that it will fail like swtor.  Im hardcore laughing at these threads from people who are already trying to judge this game after it just gets ANNOUNCED. 

No man. 

the real reason i am "hating" TES online is because it will be 3rd person view AND NO dynamic combat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Ekaros

Nah, the real reason is once again taking a big name and making money grab which isn't atleast partialy faitfull to that name.  Just the typical industry way of doing things...

Nah, people are labeling it as a money grab becuase the game isn't being targeted at them.  Anytime a game IP doesn't meet the demanding expectation of the purists, it's a money grab.  That comes up almost every single time this happens.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I'm not going to speak for other ES fans. As for myself All I wanted from an ES was the same world and gameplay but with muliplayer support. In an mmo I can understand adding respawns and faction based PvP. But all the other changes? It's just not what I wanted in an ES title. That's about it.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Here are some good reasons that have nothing to do with the hero engine.

This is from another article about ESO:

ZeniMax Online's Paul Sage says "it needs to be comfortable for people who are coming from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms

its combat centres around hotbars activating skills. Your attacks have cooldowns. In clear terms, that means no real-time combat. It is literally explained as using "World of Warcraft mechanics"

"keeping large areas inaccessible to save them for use as expansion content"

Only "some fraction" of the caves and other landmarks in the game are waiting completely unmarked and unexplored

You can't own a house because it's "too hard to implement in an MMO"

It even looks like just another fantasy MMO, losing much of the refined elegance of Bethesda's games in exchange for a simpler style that looks little like the past few games in the series.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I jsut don't see how anyone can love or hate a game at this stage of its development....We know very little about it and 8 million things can change between now and the launch of the game (if that even happens)....Theres no sense getting worked up one way or another about something that was just announced a couple of days ago.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

No

Im not thrilled it will use the Hero Engine. I think it will limit them severely.

I "hate" (the idea behind) TESO because they are making it follow shallow, linear and derivative "Mainstream MMO Standards" like WoW and SWTOR.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

I can't really hate on a engine till I see it atleast twice, but I can hate on another MMO first describing itself using worlds like "World of Warcraft" and "SWTOR".

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Theocritus

I jsut don't see how anyone can love or hate a game at this stage of its development....We know very little about it and 8 million things can change between now and the launch of the game (if that even happens)....Theres no sense getting worked up one way or another about something that was just announced a couple of days ago.

Because there is enough info about it to know if it's what we wanted in a ES title.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

I don't hate the gameplay and the lore.

TES was unique.

Now that it is just like any other theme park mmo, the only reason i hate is simply cuz i would rather play wow or rift and guild wars 2.

With that being said, none of us hates the hero engine or wow like you're claiming it. We just know better and we refuse to fall in this repetitiveness.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

its becuase it has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the original TES games, the mechanics art style and even the lroe are vastly different. Its a WOW clone with the TES ip wrapped around it and smells exactly like SWTOR. They have cut streched and pasted the Lore and world in order to poorly fit their WOW clone and its an abortion.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by Paradigm68

Here are some good reasons that have nothing to do with the hero engine.

This is from another article about ESO:

ZeniMax Online's Paul Sage says "it needs to be comfortable for people who are coming from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms

its combat centres around hotbars activating skills. Your attacks have cooldowns. In clear terms, that means no real-time combat. It is literally explained as using "World of Warcraft mechanics"

"keeping large areas inaccessible to save them for use as expansion content"

Only "some fraction" of the caves and other landmarks in the game are waiting completely unmarked and unexplored

You can't own a house because it's "too hard to implement in an MMO"

It even looks like just another fantasy MMO, losing much of the refined elegance of Bethesda's games in exchange for a simpler style that looks little like the past few games in the series.

QFT ^

Until developers rediscover "trying to make a good MMO" instead of repeatedly aiming for a "not-bad" or "familar" or "non-offensive" MMO, the same old crap will keep coming out over and over, only using different IPs.

There were MMOs before WoW, even if the slugheads that are making the decisions don't acknowledge that fact.

If people want to play WoW, they'll effin play WoW...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

That's not even remotely true.

Have you actually read the article indicating what the game would or wouldn't have?

if so, by all means, please compare/contrast all the things that they said the game would and wouldn't have to what the previous elder scrolls games did have.

At the end of your list you will see why some people are angry.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

To the OP:

Thats not the only reason.

Sorry.  There's lots lots lots more reasons than the "Hero" engine.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

wrong

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

you can laugh all you want, but that is certainly not the only reason i'm dissappointed with the game already.  Hell, i didn't even find out about the Hero Engine until today, but i reserve judgements on stuff like that.  What i don't like is Tamriel being infected by Azeroth and no matter how much you try to tell me that that is not the case, you will be dead wrong.  The reason?  because the game has already been in development since 2007 and the core design decisions have already been made.  It's World of Elder Scrolls.  THAT'S why and it's a damned travesty.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

As a long time player and someone who absolutely LOVES the entire elderscrolls series, I find myself sadly saying "I hope this game crashes and burns in a brilliant explosion." And it almost certainly will with planned game mechanics.

I could absolutely care less about the freaking hero engine, so OP your clearly a uninformed human being. The issues are what has been repeated in the last 2 pages.

1. 3rd person "only" game play in a ES game. (Vomits)

2. Non-realtime combat. (Garbage)

3. Skillbar with cooldown timers etc. (Really?)

And numerous other, smaller reasons. Basically they took every great thing about the elderscrolls games and threw them into the trash. Then copied a pile of crap system as the baseline.

May this abomination burn in the deepest darkest depths of MMO hell.

-signed

A Elderscrolls and Bethesda Fan.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Yeah Hero is getting a rough ride with Dominus folding which was my first dalience with Hero,even then there Alpha world was way better than SWTOR and many others on the market and that was over 2 years ago and it was more reminiscent of  open world old school games such as Vanguard.

But as the OP points out  the guy doing the publicity seems to be a bit removed from the current Mo scene as SWTOR  is seen as  the biggest flop ever with WOW mecahnics, and EA seen as the money grabbing villans now in dire straits after wasteing  money on an older build of Hero which they gutted for their own dev teams oh and their no doubt over spend on VO which was supposed to be their big selling point.

So as hopefully i will be testing The Repopulation in june i will see how the engine is handled when a small self funded team with no major suits pushing the game out of the door, can craft what i believe will be the best sandbox in gameing they already have a fantastic repour with a growing community demo'd the game at major events and have several vids and more on the way so the proof in the pudding will be the Beta June is gonna be fun !

p>
  • gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

hero engine is crap i dont understand why people are using it the best  mmo engine atm is the unreal 3 engine

lol i hope these idiots dont make the elder scrolls mmo a wow style game  i will not only not buy it i will make it my mission to

troll them in ever aspect possible elders scrolls is the reason that i'm going to school to  become a game developer

• Blackwater56Blackwater56 Member Posts: 122

Hey, OP, did you miss the part where they said The Elder Scrolls: Online will be a hoykey MMO?

Gee, I wonder if that's why people are pissed