Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone know the engine they are using on this game..and is it any good?

kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

just wondering what gfx engine they are using on this game..hope its not the same has STO,i doubt it but it is cryptic.

Comments

• RafadotnechiRafadotnechi Member UncommonPosts: 90

Juding by the screenshots i think is UE3

if not its Hero engine or a variant

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

Originally posted by kevjards

just wondering what gfx engine they are using on this game..hope its not the same has STO,i doubt it but it is cryptic.

The game is being built using a modified version of the engine both Star Trek Online and Champions Online use. Cryptic also revealed that content updates for Neverwinter will be entirely free unlike STO and Champions and the in-game store will stick to items such as consumables, potions, cosmetic items and pets.

Source

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by ABRaquel

The game is being built using a modified version of the engine both Star Trek Online and Champions Online use. Cryptic also revealed that content updates for Neverwinter will be entirely free unlike STO and Champions and the in-game store will stick to items such as consumables, potions, cosmetic items and pets.

Source

Cryptic has said much the same thing about items in Champions Online.

For the OP: Neverwinter uses Cryptic's own proprietary, "Cryptic Engine," designed to allow them to produce MMO's in a variety of genre's as quickly and inexpensively as possible. The original plan was to produce 1-2 MMO's per year (working on as many as 3 at a time). This plan kind of stumbled when both Champions Online and Star Trek Online underperformed financially.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Ugh, I hope it's not just reskin of Champions like STO was.

EDIT: At least it's not the Hero engine.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• Artair83Artair83 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by ABRaquel

Source

Actually I just want to add the models on those games actually don't charge for content updates, STO hasn't at all, Champions had actually had a lot of bought content which bothered me but more recently it's went free and put in a cryptic point <-> game currency trading system like STO has had since f2p release, or like gw2's gold <-> gem thing more or less. Shame with Champions though they changed a lot I was considering checking it out again but the game's fps rate has gone into the gutter for me for some reason.

As for STO though I do highly recommend checking it out, whole game of content free plus player generated to boot which NW will have but they're enhancing the tools for NW (and say they're backporting it to STO actually, looking forward to that). Might be a good bit grindy for free though, I use to play it a long time ago when it was sub and I kept a lot of things I know are not free now or cost a ton of dilithium (which is the currency you can trade for real money points back and forth). Worth checking out though but kind of burnt out on it at this point myself.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Ugh, I hope it's not just reskin of Champions like STO was.

EDIT: At least it's not the Hero engine.

By this comment this proves that gamers who do NOT use game engines , other than to play games, they have NEVER used tells me they have no idea what there talking about , Hero engine is a prettygood engine even out of the box, I love the comments these people make when they have no clue, do you think because what you saw with SWTOR that is all hero can do??

Did you realize they made they low end graphics on purpose as they started way back when so that other of there player base could play there game??? hero is capable of some much more, I have used it and I have used many others , since thats what I do for a livingf I suggest to get you facts straight before you whine, cry , bash..

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Did you realize they made they low end graphics on purpose as they started way back when so that other of there player base could play there game??? hero is capable of some much more, I have used it and I have used many others , since thats what I do for a livingf I suggest to get you facts straight before you whine, cry , bash..

Could you please point us to a demo or something for a Hero-Based game you designed, that is so shiny and powerful as you say?

Out of curiosity I'd also love to know what other engines you have used, since you are a professional,  why you chose Hero over the others, and where I can find a portfolio of your work (or maybe I even played one or more of your games, who knows!).

Being a profane on these matters, but an enthusiast, I'd appreciate a lot if you could shed some light and elaborate on your quite surprising (to say the least) claim I quoted.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by samvenice

Could you please point us to a demo or something for a Hero-Based game you designed, that is so shiny and powerful as you say?

Out of curiosity I'd also love to know what other engines you have used, since you are a professional,  why you chose Hero over the others, and where I can find a portfolio of your work (or maybe I even played one or more of your games, who knows!).

Being a profane on these matters, but an enthusiast, I'd appreciate a lot if you could shed some light and elaborate on your quite surprising (to say the least) claim I quoted.

Yes, please point us to some of the work you have done since that is what you do for a living you should be glad people want to see your stuff.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

You realise that Hero engine has little to do with the failers of other devs right? Darkcrystal is right on this one actually. The problem is people have a lot to say on things they know nothing about.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by ScribbleLay1
    Originally posted by samvenice Originally posted by Darkcrystal Did you realize they made they low end graphics on purpose as they started way back when so that other of there player base could play there game??? hero is capable of some much more, I have used it and I have used many others , since thats what I do for a livingf I suggest to get you facts straight before you whine, cry , bash..
    Could you please point us to a demo or something for a Hero-Based game you designed, that is so shiny and powerful as you say? Out of curiosity I'd also love to know what other engines you have used, since you are a professional,  why you chose Hero over the others, and where I can find a portfolio of your work (or maybe I even played one or more of your games, who knows!). Being a profane on these matters, but an enthusiast, I'd appreciate a lot if you could shed some light and elaborate on your quite surprising (to say the least) claim I quoted. Thanks in advance for your answer.
    Yes, please point us to some of the work you have done since that is what you do for a living you should be glad people want to see your stuff.

I would not, under any circumstances, show anyone from these forums anything I've done. Imagine doing a slide presentation detailing the problems with an industrial system, which if fixed would save money and even lives. However, the only thing that it's remembered for is the 'Comic Sans' font you used. That's what would happen here. No matter how good the demo showed the scalability or power of the Hero Engine, people would mock the fonts, or the rushed textures.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• fenring101fenring101 Member UncommonPosts: 80

the SWToR Engine is basically a beta version without the high end functions of the full Hero engine. Imagine your a car manufacturer, and you need a good engine, so you go to Ferrari and have a look at the one they are testing. and even though its only running at about 40% of its capacity, hasnt been tuned up or turbo charged, Say "Right we'll take it as it is, dont worry we can finish the res ourselves.."

Thats what Bioware did in effect, except they didnt finish it fully which is the problem. Graphically and overall performance wise the ToR engine is seriously underperforming which is why quite a lot of people have trouble with it.

The Hero engine isnt perfect but dont blame them when someone makes a game using a demo version of the software that doesnt perform too well.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by ScribbleLay1

Originally posted by Darkcrystal Did you realize they made they low end graphics on purpose as they started way back when so that other of there player base could play there game??? hero is capable of some much more, I have used it and I have used many others , since thats what I do for a livingf I suggest to get you facts straight before you whine, cry , bash..
    Could you please point us to a demo or something for a Hero-Based game you designed, that is so shiny and powerful as you say? Out of curiosity I'd also love to know what other engines you have used, since you are a professional,  why you chose Hero over the others, and where I can find a portfolio of your work (or maybe I even played one or more of your games, who knows!). Being a profane on these matters, but an enthusiast, I'd appreciate a lot if you could shed some light and elaborate on your quite surprising (to say the least) claim I quoted. Thanks in advance for your answer.

I would not, under any circumstances, show anyone from these forums anything I've done. Imagine doing a slide presentation detailing the problems with an industrial system, which if fixed would save money and even lives. However, the only thing that it's remembered for is the 'Comic Sans' font you used. That's what would happen here. No matter how good the demo showed the scalability or power of the Hero Engine, people would mock the fonts, or the rushed textures.

This. Most likely, if people have asked you to show your work here, they have already made the decision to mock it. There's topics around here where people say that TESO reeks of failure and a bad game just because of the name of the game, yes the name. What? Really.