Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why this game is a bad idea

Comments

• DogPeeOnTreeDogPeeOnTree Member Posts: 92

Cant we all just fuckin wait bout 1 teaser,gameplay vid to be released to actually see how combat is,graphics,enviroment how is it.Is it vast open world or linear like stupid aion.Just stop with those  speculations from 10pictures 

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Originally posted by DogPeeTree

Cant we all just fuckin wait bout 1 teaser,gameplay vid to be released to actually see how combat is,graphics,enviroment how is it.Is it vast open world or linear like stupid aion.Just stop with those  speculations from 10pictures 

Seriously.

Lot of people are going to feel like complete fools if this turns out to be a Game informer/ Bethesda promotional stunt, or some guys idea of an epic luz.

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333

Originally posted by Uhwop

Originally posted by DogPeeTree

Seriously.

Lot of people are going to feel like complete fools if this turns out to be a Game informer/ Bethesda promotional stunt, or some guys idea of an epic luz.

The fact that we think it has the potential to be a joke, just goes to show how bad it actually is. Most of that article sounds comical as if they are poking fun at themselves, and the 'What's in Whats out' sounds also like a joke.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Lucioon

The reason why they should not use TES IP is because they took away what made TES , TES![Not only are you no longer a character that can become anything you want, you are also bound to a specific faction based on race and class. Just from my experiences from Morrowind and Skyrim, I can become a mage, warrior, ranger, thief or any combination of them, join any faction I want, thief guild, brotherhood of assassins, warriors guild. I can kill the person i was send to help. And have a house to display all my collectible loots. I can stay out of political factions and just journey into the world if thats what i want. Instead, I am now bound by race to a faction, bound by class. Its just not a TES game if you have ever played any of the TES games before.

1) That does not imply anything, you just state that they took something from TES single player games and they should not do it.

2) Same as above.

3) I do not see any relation between what you want and what makes a successful business such as TESO.

4) Same as 1&2)

12 million people didn't buy skyrim for the lore.

Already cover this in my previous posts but:

The problem with those 12M sales is that vast majority are console sales and if you release the MMO for different platform, you are effectively losing good chunk of potential customers and at this point it does not sound unreasonable to cater a majority of the market you venture to - mainstream MMO audience.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by Gdemami

The reason why they should not use TES IP is because they took away what made TES , TES![

Not only are you no longer a character that can become anything you want, you are also bound to a specific faction based on race and class.

Just from my experiences from Morrowind and Skyrim, I can become a mage, warrior, ranger, thief or any combination of them, join any faction I want, thief guild, brotherhood of assassins, warriors guild. I can kill the person i was send to help. And have a house to display all my collectible loots. I can stay out of political factions and just journey into the world if thats what i want.

Instead, I am now bound by race to a faction, bound by class. Its just not a TES game if you have ever played any of the TES games before.

1) That does not imply anything, you just state that they took something from TES single player games and they should not do it.

2) Same as above.

3) I do not see any relation between what you want and what makes a successful business such as TESO.

4) Same as 1&2)

The problem with those 12M sales is that vast majority are console sales and if you release the MMO for different platform, you are effectively losing good chunk of potential customers and at this point it does not sound unreasonable to cater a majority of the market you venture to - mainstream MMO audience.

I understand what you are trying to get across, that just because its not gonna play like TES that we all know that it will automatically be a bad game, even if  there is only Single player to reference by.

I even understand your argument that it doesn't automatically mean that this MMO will play badly because of the lack of the features in the single player due to the small amount of information available.

But what you are not understanding is that the entire Game informer article never once shown how TESO will bring anything to the MMO market, where are the features that we as gamers should be excited about. Other than the Name of Elder Scroll, what is there that we should discuss about.

Game advertising uses hype to generate interest, and GW2 does it with their promise to change the way we play MMO, TERA utilizes their Action Combat as their selling point, TSW uses their open class and online research as their interest generating topics. All i got out of the Article is how TESO is not gonna be TES that you know, and it will have WOW combat mechanics.

That is just not a good way to introduce your game.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

There are millions upon milllions of copies of the ES games sold for PC.

You're comment has nothing to do with the point I made. 

12 people did not buy skyrim for the lore.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Isn't there enough MMORPGs?

Thats the problem here.

There's enough, thanks game makers, we've had enough.

Stop it, stop making these. Please. Make something else... please.

"So stop buying them." 

Well. I'm certainly not buying THIS one.  300+ hours of Skyrim played, 600+ of Oblivion. 0 hours to be ever had in tESO.

This isn't even a valid point, it's random numbers and a very biased view. 

Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

All i got out of the Article is how TESO is not gonna be TES that you know, and it will have WOW combat mechanics.

I guess that if they did not tell you about "WoW mechanics", you would complain later on that they lied to you, if they tell you straight ahead you complain that they betrayed you.

Nothing they will say will satisfy you as it seems...

Game informer article is very vague and raises more questions that it is answering.

Who knows at what state the game currently is, core game features might be as well still on drawing board. Remember that content development is one of the last development stages.

The game was only announced few days back and you expect them to start marketing campaign equal to games closing on release date?

Truth is, that there is little substance for discussion apart from title name.

All i got out of the Article is how TESO is not gonna be TES that you know, and it will have WOW combat mechanics.

I guess that if they did not tell you about "WoW mechanics", you would complain later on that they lied to you, if they tell you straight ahead you complain that they betrayed you.

Game informer article is very vague and raises more questions that it is answering.

Who knows at what state the game currently is, core game features might be as well still on drawing board. Remember that content development is one of the last development stages.

The game was only announced few days back and you expect them to start marketing campaign equal to games closing on release date?

Truth is, that there is little substance for discussion apart from title name.

Give it up man.. You are going back on everything you've said without realizing it. The fact it's so early in developement is why we're all voicing our negative opinions, that is the final fact. If we can change it, we're going to. 

Yeah, because 1 person buying Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim makes for 3 loyal fans, right? :)

• gaboxgabox Member UncommonPosts: 7

I agree 100% with the OP.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

This may sound crazy..

But..

Thiink about it

What if

Listen

What if

They made the combat like every other TES game instead of using a generic MMO combat that we have been playing for more than 10 years?

We already knew that SWTOR was garbage, just because the devs told us that the game would be garbage before selling it, it doesn't mean they get a free ticket.

"Why are you complaining that the game is shit, the devs told you that the game was going to be shit"

Maybe i don't want shit?

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

Originally posted by spaceport

We already knew that SWTOR was garbage, just because the devs told us that the game would be garbage before selling it, it doesn't mean they get a free ticket.

1.7M SWTOR subscribers disagree with you.

Originally posted by LizardEgypt

This isn't even a valid point, it's random numbers and a very biased view. 

I think it's very valid.

You can't say that you need to change the way your game works so that people will understand it, when you've sold millions of copies of it.  It's been played in it's iteration, it's already understood.

It's a given that people have a very clear expectation about what kind of game they are going to play when a new ES game is announced. 

When you can say, I'm making a game, and all of your fans immediately have an idea of how that game will play and are looking forward to it before they even know what the story is, locaton, or plotline is, there's a clear indication the gameplay is the driving force.

I don't know if 12 million is correct or not, but I wouldn't doubt it.  Game sold 3.4 milliion in the first 48 hours, 230,000 on steam in the first 24. 

The only thing that has never changed about the ES games, has been the overall gameplay.  The wide open, sandbox, do whatever you want gameplay.  

It's a fact, the ES games are not a success because of great story telling. 

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

1.7M SWTOR subscribers disagree with you.

Guys, there will be 1.7 million subscribers for SWTOR until the end of time. They are permanent. Even when the sun eventually decimates life on earth, there will still be 1.7m people playing SWTOR. Fact.

That figure is from months ago. You can see the drastic decline of subscribers at any number of statistical websites, or just by simply logging onto the game.

All we can do is hope Zenimax learns something from SWTOR. Specifically, that slapping an IP on a near-obsolete formula does not ensure long term success. You actually have to bring something unique to the table or risk getting swept under the tide of others' innovations.

If, however, they don't favor long-term success over short-term, then by all means they should produce what they perceive to be a conservative effort to make sure they make a predictable profit. But if they do this, then they all but give up the chance to create a true breakout success. And I think TES is ripe for becoming a breakout mmo success if they choose to go with what the games have always been about instead of conforming to the typical mmo template with a couple twists thrown in.

At any rate, i think trying to keep the elder scrolls experience intact in a transition to an MMO is a much safer bet than starting from scratch with a tired formula. Most companies spend their whole lives hoping to achieve an IP and fanbase like the elder scrolls games have. The fact that they're apparently throwing much of that history and familiarity out the window in lieu of a set of features that are distinctly un-elder scrolls tells me they have either over thought this, or haven't thought about it enough. We'll see how it turns out, but the way they're promoting the game at this point is fairly auspicious to say the least.

Originally posted by Indol

Guys, there will be 1.7 million subscribers for SWTOR until the end of time. They are permanent. Even when the sun eventually decimates life on earth, there will still be 1.7m people playing SWTOR. Fact.

March is not months back.

The fact that subscriber numbers will decline at some point of the product life cycle does not lessen the profits the game is currently making nor it implies long-term outlook.

All the evidence you can have now implies that SWTOR is doing very fine.

Anything beyond is just worthless speculation.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

But it will ruin the name of Elder Scrolls, thats what alot of the fans is worry about, they won't play this MMO but they don't want its failure to hinder the development of the next Single Player Elder Scrolls.

The fans don't want this MMO to ruin their IP

currently like what creslin said, its just using the name of Tamriel to get the attention of the masses, and lure in the uninformed and gullible.

Why would bethesda stop making TES games, when they just released the most well received entry in it's history? ANd again what Creslin said only really applies if the game is bad, there's nothing that says thus far that it is.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

All I can say is I've never in my lifetime of gaming seen such an uproar over the announcement of an MMORPG and its features. Never ever. If they thought a voice-over-instance-crawling-class-centric-no-housing-stuck-in-a-faction game is what people wanted, they should have peeked over the fence to see how well Bioware was doing with thier near-identical implementation.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

This may sound crazy..

But..

Thiink about it

What if

Listen

What if

They made the combat like every other TES game instead of using a generic MMO combat that we have been playing for more than 10 years?

"Why are you complaining that the game is shit, the devs told you that the game was going to be shit"

Maybe i don't want shit?

Would you please stop insulting tab targeting combat.  It's a legit mechanic that many of us like to this day.  I'm really getting tired of this snobbish behavior from action fans.  There are and will be plenty of action combat games on the market.  You have DC Universe Online, Darkfall Online and Tera already, then there are Neverwinter Nights, Guild Wars 2, The Secret World, Planetside 2 and Mechwarrior Online coming out in the next year or two, all of which are action combat.  Frankly, I think you are getting more representation in the genre than you deserve.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by NaughtyP

All I can say is I've never in my lifetime of gaming seen such an uproar over the announcement of an MMORPG and its features. Never ever. If they thought a voice-over-instance-crawling-class-centric-no-housing-stuck-in-a-faction game is what people wanted, they should have peeked over the fence to see how well Bioware was doing with thier near-identical implementation.

QFT, hopefully the people at Bethesda are monitoring the reactions.  Most games people are like "Ooooooo" but so far the vast majority is outright hostility.  If they can't hook their fans of the series then what hope do they  really have?  I agree with don't judge a book by it's cover as I've stood by Neverwinter since it's announcement but at least Cryptic want to remain true to the fans of D&D while Bethesda is doing the opposite and singling out their fans.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Ambros123

Originally posted by NaughtyP

QFT, hopefully the people at Bethesda are monitoring the reactions.  Most games people are like "Ooooooo" but so far the vast majority is outright hostility.  If they can't hook their fans of the series then what hope do they  really have?  I agree with don't judge a book by it's cover as I've stood by Neverwinter since it's announcement but at least Cryptic want to remain true to the fans of D&D while Bethesda is doing the opposite and singling out their fans.

How is that?  Neverwinter Nights is going with action combat, which is about as far from D&D combat as you can get.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

If 14% of TES sales are PC, and the MMO releases only for PC, I'd like to know exactly why it would be a good idea to cater to the 86% they already left behind instead of the 14% of guaranteed sales?

Unless of course they make the MMO available on consoles, then sure go ahead and appeal to... whoever.

I can only say that as a TES PC customer I wouldn't buy this MMO if it was just like all the others but with the TES skin. Like I said previously, they are not swigning giant Mario dicks, general masses don't know shit about TES. No need to appeal to them, they already have WoW, unless they think Blizz fans will jump ship?

O well, who knows. Next drink of crown royal should have me visiting my ancestors anyway.

Originally posted by Trionicus
    If 14% of TES sales are PC, and the MMO releases only for PC, I'd like to know exactly why it would be a good idea to cater to the 86% they already left behind instead of the 14% of guaranteed sales?
    Unless of course they make the MMO available on consoles, then sure go ahead and appeal to... whoever.
    I can only say that as a TES PC customer I wouldn't buy this MMO if it was just like all the others but with the TES skin. Like I said previously, they are not swigning giant Mario dicks, general masses don't know shit about TES. No need to appeal to them, they already have WoW, unless they think Blizz fans will jump ship?
    O well, who knows. Next drink of crown royal should have me visiting my ancestors anyway.

Yep, this is an argument I am making for a while.

Turning TESO into a mainstream title indeed makes solid business sense, imo.

However, I am still a bit puzzled with art presented at screenshots. I would still expect to keep at least visual resemblance with the Skyrim/Oblivion - but that is still probably more of wish and personal bias rather than valid concern.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

And 120 hours to max level! I mean, what the heck will I do after those 12 days? image

Your explanation does make some sense, OP. What TESCO would sorely need are sandbox elements, to carry over some of the Elder Scrolls single player feeling. Like housing, among others. But as it seemed they ruled that out. Something I entirely don't understand. No triple AAA MMo of the last years has tried any bit of sandbox elements. It would be a big chance of TESCO to stand out. But no.... again we have WOW clone #24514. I am so damn tired of that. Why must they even refer to WOW? Why must it even be mentioned??

An Elder Scrolls MMO is only acceptable if it has some of the sandbox qualities of the single player game.

EDIT: We could see the game on the other hand as a sort of "Everquest 3 meets DAoC 2" game. Which isn't soooo bad. *shrug* I say, let's see what we gonna see.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert