Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Headline: Elder Scrolls Online - The most negatively received "reveal" in MMORPG history

Comments

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Originally posted by deathshroud

MO is the closest thing to a TES mmo released so far, However i dontrecommend people play it even thoguh i enjoy it and play it. The game is buggy, quite broken, demanding on preformance, with a low population and missing quite abit of content so it certainly isnt for the mass market. The expansion awakening will hopefully remedy much of this with, NPC ai guards (similar in function to the guards of skyrim) a whole new ai system with air and sea based mobs, glass blowing, tailoring, improved alchemy and pottery profesions added. More weapon balance and prediction fixes, lockpicking and finally dungeons to explore, whole new ui which should be alot better than current, arrow crafting and many performance fixes including the capitol finally opening up.

Darkfall, i never played it so i cant comment on how it plays, but i do know the devs never talk to thier community and the game is nothing like its original design.

Exactly.

And knowing those issues are what actually ail MO, you wouldn't argue that its issues are that it's a TES-style MMO, correct?

That's the argument Gd is making with DF, and that's what I'm addressing in my response to them. They're blaming DF's issues on being a TES-style game, while ignoring the myriad issues the game has been and still is plagued with, which are the actual reasons for its problems.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by TangentPoint

MO is the closest thing to a TES mmo released so far, However i dontrecommend people play it even thoguh i enjoy it and play it. The game is buggy, quite broken, demanding on preformance, with a low population and missing quite abit of content so it certainly isnt for the mass market. The expansion awakening will hopefully remedy much of this with, NPC ai guards (similar in function to the guards of skyrim) a whole new ai system with air and sea based mobs, glass blowing, tailoring, improved alchemy and pottery profesions added. More weapon balance and prediction fixes, lockpicking and finally dungeons to explore, whole new ui which should be alot better than current, arrow crafting and many performance fixes including the capitol finally opening up.

Darkfall, i never played it so i cant comment on how it plays, but i do know the devs never talk to thier community and the game is nothing like its original design.

Exactly.

And knowing those issues are what actually ail MO, you wouldn't argue that its issues are that it's a TES-style MMO, correct?

That's the argument Gd is making with DF, and that's what I'm addressing in my response to them. They're blaming DF's issues on being a TES-style game, while ignoring the myriad issues the game has been and still is plagued with, which are the actual reasons for its problems.

yea the issues with the game have nothing to do with its concept or TES style of play, they are its strong points.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by DSWBeef

Originally posted by Chrome1980

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Look at it this way... Would you recognize this game as part of the TES series if they didn't print the shiny letters on the box? No you woudl not at all. This game is just a cash grab using lazy MMO dev "tried and true" methods. I will probably not buy another TES title after this. I tend to take things one step further. If a company makes a terrible decision such as Bethesda has done then I boycott the company.

Seriously? That's your argument? The races, the world, the story, none of that could possibly be familiar to a fan ?

The problem is, that when people hear THE ELDER SCROLLS they thing an open ended game with many choices and things to do. ANd when people think about a TES mmo they think a SANDBOX mmo. Not a game that takes many of its Mechanics from WoW (a dev said this) Distopia you cant seem to comprehend that some people are pissed off with what they have seen so FAR. Im sure in  5 months my opininion might change. By zenimax had to have known comign out with a first reveal it was gonna leave a bad taste in alot of peoples mouth.s

Not all people think or thought that TESO would be sandbox MMO. As far as open ended world , we are getting that with TESO.

It is sad that you are still stuck on WOW mechanics even though yesterday i asked you to prove it and all you got was the article from biggest troll site on the internet called Kotaku.

Its your own opinion that Kotaku is a bad site. I think other wise.

And i am still waiting for you to show how TESO is another WOW clone, if anything TESO is a mix of ES series, DAOC and GW2.

Look at it this way... Would you recognize this game as part of the TES series if they didn't print the shiny letters on the box? No you woudl not at all. This game is just a cash grab using lazy MMO dev "tried and true" methods. I will probably not buy another TES title after this. I tend to take things one step further. If a company makes a terrible decision such as Bethesda has done then I boycott the company.

Seriously? That's your argument? The races, the world, the story, none of that could possibly be familiar to a fan ?

The problem is, that when people hear THE ELDER SCROLLS they thing an open ended game with many choices and things to do. ANd when people think about a TES mmo they think a SANDBOX mmo. Not a game that takes many of its Mechanics from WoW (a dev said this) Distopia you cant seem to comprehend that some people are pissed off with what they have seen so FAR. Im sure in  5 months my opininion might change. By zenimax had to have known comign out with a first reveal it was gonna leave a bad taste in alot of peoples mouth.s

Not all people think or thought that TESO would be sandbox MMO. As far as open ended world , we are getting that with TESO.

It is sad that you are still stuck on WOW mechanics even though yesterday i asked you to prove it and all you got was the article from biggest troll site on the internet called Kotaku.

And i am still waiting for you to show how TESO is another WOW clone, if anything TESO is a mix of ES series, DAOC and GW2.

How is it anything like DAOC? becuase it has Realm vs Realm? no, DAOC had sieges it had property to siege, castles to siege. TES has none of that, DAOC had brilliant siege mechanics and TES doesnt even have player owned buildings.

Didnt Warhammer online also have realm vs realm?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

How is it anything like DAOC? becuase it has Realm vs Realm? no, DAOC had sieges it had property to siege, castles to siege. TES has none of that, DAOC had brilliant siege mechanics and TES doesnt even have player owned buildings.

Is that a fact? OR a guess?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

they clearly stated there will not be palyer owned structures/buildings, so who exactly would you be sieging?

It has three faction system like daoc, not everything regarding PVP has been revealed yet but since you can take over enemies capitals i am sure i won't be a simple smash and grab. If they are going with 3 realms i am sure there will be seiges since the lead designer of DAOC who coined the term 'realm vs realm' is working on TESO PVP.

Warhammer had realm vs realm and also seiges but it wasn't THREE faction system which makes DAOC what it is today, the most successful PVP MMO.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

IF you go to my campaign OP i corrected my statement on it being a WoW clone. It was a statement made out of anger.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

they clearly stated there will not be palyer owned structures/buildings, so who exactly would you be sieging?

I was asking, as all I saw was no player housing, not no keeps or points to fight over.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

And by the way, there are Official Forums for the Elder Scrolls Online.  If you are not a fan of the information realeased (or leaked) thus far, I encourage you to go there and be heard.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/190-elder-scrolls-online-general-discussion/

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

It's being negatively received kind of all over the internet.  Every gaming site I go to that has a story about it has negative comments attached to it, so it's not just website.  This is just an observation, nothing more.  I do agree a bit with the op, but I really think everyone is just jumping the gun on this one. 

I really want to wait to see.   I want more information about the game.  I want gameplay videos, I want a beta test.  I want some concrete stuff before I am going to make any judgment on the game. 

My main issue is that I hope it doesn't effect the single player rpg series.  I am somewhat confident that it wont, as Zenimax is not going to give up on thier mult-million dollar cash cow, especially after Skyrim's success.  With this game....Worst case scenario is that they squander their opportunity, release a bad game, ruin the lore and it becomes something we laugh about in a few years.  Best case scenario, we have a lore-rich game that is a fun time-killer between TES V and TES VI.  For me anyways.

• termsytermsy Member Posts: 100
    Saying it's like DAoC does little to no good to a lot of people. GW2 is going to be released soon and us close enough to DAoC for the majority. Not to mention, many of us have already played it and know how awesome it is. No subscription helps also

Originally posted by termsy

Saying it's like DAoC does little to no good to a lot of people. GW2 is going to be released soon and us close enough to DAoC for the majority. Not to mention, many of us have already played it and know how awesome it is. No subscription helps also

So some time back ' we want pvp in MMOS based on DAOC' and now 'GW2 is awesome and nothing will be good enough'? i would save my judgements till i actually play 3 faction PVP in TESO. And yes more MMOS based on DAOC the better.

Since when having more choices is a bad thing?

So some time back ' we want pvp in MMOS based on DAOC' and now 'GW2 is awesome and nothing will be good enough'? i would save my judgements till i actually play 3 faction PVP in TESO. And yes more MMOS based on DAOC the better.

For the first time i agree with you Chrome.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

We are tired of this "Pink Slime" being passed off as "good meat".

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

We are

You often speak about yourself in plural? Usually not a sign of good mental health...

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Originally posted by morlock9

Welcome to next week's headline across the gaming community.

Regardless of the state of the recently revealed game or its ability to stand on it's own as an MMO, the development team has departed significantly from the features that characterized previous Elder Scrolls games and has resulted in a backlash from the fan base.

With the leak of some detailed information on game play, many have begun to wonder if the title of Elder Scrolls Online should be replaced with something more fitting a traditional MMO "Based upon the lore of the Elder Scrolls Series".

At a time when most MMO's benifit from exciting announcments, ESO is already being heralded as a falure for lack of vision. This appears to be the most negatively received "reveal" in the history of the modern MMORPG.         

...and you're basing that on the responses from the boards on this website?  No surprise there, knowing that many of the lurkers here are devoted to sandbox / action games.  I don't see much if any negativity on other websites in regards to the release, with exception to MMORPG.com as usual.

Maybe you should actually check another site or two.

We are tired of this "Pink Slime" being passed off as "good meat".

You, your lonely neighbour, the rubber duck in your bath tub and your dog 'barney' doesn't count as WE.

More choices are a good thing.  I would just like the option to choose to play a MMO based on the Elder Scrolls series of game with a feature set that is similar to what these games offer. 

Oh yea..i don't have that as a choice.....you would think something called "Elder Scrolls Online" might offer it...but no.

Originally posted by Gdemami

We are

You often speak about yourself in plural? Usually not a sign of good mental health...

HES HERE EVERYONE! Be prepared to be grinded into the ground.

More choices are a good thing.  I would just like the option to choose to play a MMO based on the Elder Scrolls series of game with a feature set that is similar to what these games offer. 

Oh yea..i don't have that as a choice.....you would think something called "Elder Scrolls Online" might offer it...but no.

My comment was mostly about 3 faction PVP.

Originally posted by xr00t3dx

Regardless of the state of the recently revealed game or its ability to stand on it's own as an MMO, the development team has departed significantly from the features that characterized previous Elder Scrolls games and has resulted in a backlash from the fan base.

With the leak of some detailed information on game play, many have begun to wonder if the title of Elder Scrolls Online should be replaced with something more fitting a traditional MMO "Based upon the lore of the Elder Scrolls Series".

At a time when most MMO's benifit from exciting announcments, ESO is already being heralded as a falure for lack of vision. This appears to be the most negatively received "reveal" in the history of the modern MMORPG.         

...and you're basing that on the responses from the boards on this website?  No surprise there, knowing that many of the lurkers here are devoted to sandbox / action games.  I don't see much if any negativity on other websites in regards to the release, with exception to MMORPG.com as usual.

Or even the official forums:

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

It seems like every new game reveal comes with a "worst announcement in the history of MMOs" thread. Is it possible that these forums are just filling more and more with compulsive whiners?

I see like 3 to 4 negative topics, rest are people complaining about others complaining (no surprise there) other then that there are actually quite good  topics on front page where people are having civil discussion. Guess you just focus on negative too much and fail to see the rest?

I see like 3 to 4 negative topics, rest are people complaining about others complaining (no surprise there) other then that there are actually quite good  topics on front page where people are having civil discussion. Guess you just focus on negative too much and fail to see the rest?

As everyone can see from the time stamping of your post, great job reviewing the Elder Scrolls Forums in all of LESS THAN 3 MINUTES.  Anything else you can possibly contribute to this thread is meaningless.