Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Headline: Elder Scrolls Online - The most negatively received "reveal" in MMORPG history

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Tes isn't a sandbox its an open world themepark

Which is what this mmo sounds like, it sounds a heck of a lot more like daoc & EQ than it does swtor
  • Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Which is what this mmo sounds like, it sounds a heck of a lot more like daoc & EQ than it does swtor

People are just reaching and ove reacting because TESO is nothing like SWTOR or WOW. It is funny especially when GW2 fans bash TESO because TESO is more closer to DAOC and GW2 in game mechanics.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Pigozz

I dont give a damn if there is 10000+ WoW - like games, I play them as well

Im mad that their raping one of the most succesful game fracnhises into something it was never meants to be

Elder Scrolls is since the first game famous for its openess, first person combat and classless system

TESO seems to offer none of these - thus only raping the famous IP

At least you're honest where your anger about it is coming from I can respect that. It's those who are trying to paint it as a TOR or WOW clone that just blow my mind.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Chrome1980

Originally posted by ShakyMo

People are just reaching and ove reacting because TESO is nothing like SWTOR or WOW. It is funny especially when GW2 fans bash TESO because TESO is more closer to DAOC and GW2 in game mechanics.

Exactly

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Sid_Vicious

If the game was going to be truly like Elder Scrolls Online than it would probably be a lot like Darkfall which most of you would totally whine about.

Pretty much this.

The "true TES MMO" is there already, it is called Darkfall. You hate it too? Well, you only got what you asked for.

You're arguing a complete non-sequitur here.

Arguably, Darkfall is the closest to an Elder-Scrolls style MMO on the market right now, with Mortal Online arguably being in that same category. Closest in this case is an extremely relative term, considering there aren't many other MMO's in that style to compare them to. However, its play style isn't what has ailed DF since its launch. Its execution is. The on-going delays, communication blunders and promised updates that never arrive are.

To invoke DF as what a more open TES MMO would inevitably become is a serious stretch, and more than a little dishonest. Your argument seems to rely on others being mostly ignorant of DF's history and all its problems. You also completely ignore the important difference between something being well executed and poorly executed, which is really what DF's issues boil down to.

To put it simply, DF's problems do not stem from it being created around a more TES style of gameplay. They stem from myriad poor design decisions made and/or poor execution of those decisions. So, your argument simply doesn't follow that a MMO created in a more "traditional" TES style would inevitably end up like Darkfall.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Look at it this way... Would you recognize this game as part of the TES series if they didn't print the shiny letters on the box? No you woudl not at all. This game is just a cash grab using lazy MMO dev "tried and true" methods. I will probably not buy another TES title after this. I tend to take things one step further. If a company makes a terrible decision such as Bethesda has done then I boycott the company.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Look at it this way... Would you recognize this game as part of the TES series if they didn't print the shiny letters on the box? No you woudl not at all. This game is just a cash grab using lazy MMO dev "tried and true" methods. I will probably not buy another TES title after this. I tend to take things one step further. If a company makes a terrible decision such as Bethesda has done then I boycott the company.

Seriously? That's your argument? The races, the world, the story, none of that could possibly be familiar to a fan ?

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Well any child with a bit of MMORPG knowledge and experience wouldve know that coming...

This should not sound arrogant to you, this is just sad reality. You can_not release another WoW clone...

Even just thinking about it feels so extremely exhausting to me... it's like experience an experience over and over again. Pure boredom!

We do not need one... we want innovative and new games... games which "feel" new to us because the whole concept is new.

IS THAT SO HARD OR ARE YOU DEVELOPERS JUST AFRAID OF MAKING NEW GAMES?   

Let me guess: "Yes!" - Because Publishers have gotten too big!??

Yes i would. Granted not everything from ES series is making into TESO but after going through the feature list i am sure that it is a TESO game.

Originally posted by 4bsolute

Well any child with a bit of MMORPG knowledge and experience wouldve know that coming...

This should not sound arrogant to you, this is just sad reality. You can_not release another WoW clone...

We do not need one... we want innovative and new games... games which "feel" new to us because the whole concept is new.

Another who doesn't know the difference between WOW and not WOW. If you said DAOC I might agree, but nope the wow tunnel vision strikes again, and we wonder why so many of those exist, it's all a mjaority of this fandom thinks or knows about.

Originally posted by 4bsolute

Even just thinking about it feels so extremely exhausting to me... it's like experience an experience over and over again. Pure boredom!

Originally posted by Distopia

At least you're honest where your anger about it is coming from I can respect that. It's those who are trying to paint it as a TOR or WOW clone that just blow my mind.

Seriously? That's your argument? The races, the world, the story, none of that could possibly be familiar to a fan ?

The races, world , and story  are hardly original. Besides the lack of Hobbits I'm pretty sure you could pass this off as a Tolkien LOTR type game. So I say no. You would not recognize this game settign without it being LABELED for you.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

As a vocal opponent to the design decisions that are apparent from screenshots and available intel, I for one don't want to be lumped in with this sort of thinking, where we try to determine what the quality of the game will be, or the motivations of those producing it.  Bethesda is also not behind this decision, zenimax, their parent company is.  While zenimax can be blamed for bethesda's blunders, the opposite does not hold true.  Bethesda cannot control what Zenimax does.

It's quite possible the game will be executed well, and be a lot of fun.  To jump to the conclusion it won't be misses the point of the honest outrage about abandoning the traditional TES gameplay elements, and graphic style. 

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

Originally posted by colddog04

I blame SWTOR.

I blame Blizzard and word of warcraft for turning mmorpgs into the state its in now, where every dev just bascally copy and pastes world of warcraft and tries to get away with it, with very minimal if any changes (rift, swtor I am looking at you)

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

The races, world , and story  are hardly original. Besides the lack of Hobbits I'm pretty sure you could pass this off as a Tolkien LOTR type game. So I say no. You would not recognize this game settign without it being LABELED for you.

Well that strikes your opinion as unfounded. As you can neither prove or disprove it, but hey if you come up with any winning lottery numbers let me know, at least then I could put your theory to the test (soonish). We'll have to wait a year to find out your other prediction

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by TangentPoint

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Sid_Vicious

If the game was going to be truly like Elder Scrolls Online than it would probably be a lot like Darkfall which most of you would totally whine about.

Pretty much this.

The "true TES MMO" is there already, it is called Darkfall. You hate it too? Well, you only got what you asked for.

You're arguing a complete non-sequitur here.

Arguably, Darkfall is the closest to an Elder-Scrolls style MMO on the market right now, with Mortal Online arguably being in that same category. However, its play style isn't what has ailed DF since its launch. Its execution is. The on-going delays, communication blunders and promised updates that never arrive are.

To invoke DF as what a more open TES MMO would inevitably become is a serious stretch, and more than a little dishonest. Your argument seems to rely on others being mostly ignorant of DF's history and all its problems. You also completely ignore the important difference between something being well executed and poorly executed, which is really what DF's issues boil down to.

To put it simply, DF's problems do not stem from it being created around a more TES style of gameplay. They stem from myriad poor design decisions made and/or poor execution of those decisions. So, your argument simply doesn't follow that a MMO created in a more "traditional" TES style would inevitably end up like Darkfall.

MO is the closest thing to a TES mmo released so far, However i dontrecommend people play it even thoguh i enjoy it and play it. The game is buggy, quite broken, demanding on preformance, with a low population and missing quite abit of content so it certainly isnt for the mass market. The expansion awakening will hopefully remedy much of this with, NPC ai guards (similar in function to the guards of skyrim) a whole new ai system with air and sea based mobs, glass blowing, tailoring, improved alchemy and pottery profesions added. More weapon balance and prediction fixes, lockpicking and finally dungeons to explore, whole new ui which should be alot better than current, arrow crafting and many performance fixes including the capitol finally opening up.

Darkfall, i never played it so i cant comment on how it plays, but i do know the devs never talk to thier community and the game is nothing like its original design.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

release a MMORPG about TES without  the major features that make TES's games a huge sucess and is explain the reason why people are so negatively about this game.

the worst will be when they release  video of gameplay and we dont see the TES gameplay, because that will be the moment when people will lose the rest of hope on a TES gameplay.

i still see in this forum and in other forum that many people think this MMORPG wil have anything to do with TES...

i love skyrim and oblivion and i was hope for sometime they add co-op feature, but never tought make this game on a MMORPG.  

Originally posted by adam_nox

As a vocal opponent to the design decisions that are apparent from screenshots and available intel, I for one don't want to be lumped in with this sort of thinking, where we try to determine what the quality of the game will be, or the motivations of those producing it.  Bethesda is also not behind this decision, zenimax, their parent company is.  While zenimax can be blamed for bethesda's blunders, the opposite does not hold true.  Bethesda cannot control what Zenimax does.

It's quite possible the game will be executed well, and be a lot of fun.  To jump to the conclusion it won't be misses the point of the honest outrage about abandoning the traditional TES gameplay elements, and graphic style. 

Well said much respect to you sir.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

i think swtor  left a bad taste in everyones mouth 

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

The problem is, that when people hear THE ELDER SCROLLS they thing an open ended game with many choices and things to do. ANd when people think about a TES mmo they think a SANDBOX mmo. Not a game that takes many of its Mechanics from WoW (a dev said this) Distopia you cant seem to comprehend that some people are pissed off with what they have seen so FAR. Im sure in  5 months my opininion might change. By zenimax had to have known comign out with a first reveal it was gonna leave a bad taste in alot of peoples mouth.s

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

Originally posted by DSWBeef

The problem is, that when people hear THE ELDER SCROLLS they thing an open ended game with many choices and things to do. ANd when people think about a TES mmo they think a SANDBOX mmo. Not a game that takes many of its Mechanics from WoW (a dev said this) Distopia you cant seem to comprehend that some people are pissed off with what they have seen so FAR. Im sure in  5 months my opininion might change. By zenimax had to have known comign out with a first reveal it was gonna leave a bad taste in alot of peoples mouth.s

Not all people thought that TESO would be sandbox MMO. As far as open ended world , we are getting that with TESO.

It is sad that you are still stuck on WOW mechanics even though yesterday i asked you to prove it and all you got was the article from biggest troll site on the internet called Kotaku.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

bethesda is NOT making this game its zenimax; bethesda is not bioware.

Not all people think

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Not all people think or thought that TESO would be sandbox MMO. As far as open ended world , we are getting that with TESO.

It is sad that you are still stuck on WOW mechanics even though yesterday i asked you to prove it and all you got was the article from biggest troll site on the internet called Kotaku.

Its your own opinion that Kotaku is a bad site. I think other wise.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

i bet blizzard are rolling on the floor laughing their asses off with this new Reveal, quite possibly the only real challenger WOW would of ever had has just revealed its self to be yet another imitator, dont they realise you cannot beat Blizzard at their own game. You wont win that way, thats blizzards way. Its what they have been doing for years and will keep on doing. Bethesda are good at making TES infact its a much beloved game series and the mechanics, lore ideas and freedom behind it is why players love it and constantly pester them for an mmo version. Instead Zenimax took the license and threw out all the reasons why TES has such a strong following and instead are trying to say, "look at us were just like WOW to, we have raids to, we have classes, come play our game if you like WOW you will love it"

Its pathetic, They fell right into the trap just like many developers before them.

Im not saying it will be poorly made, or not have osme fun features or sell relatively well. But what im saying is in a few months after realse it will be in the same boat as SWTOR, its a disapointment a real shame that they played it safe. They mutated the elder scrolls lore and mechanics to fit their WOW game and its a mutation. Deisgned soley for making cash and being forgotten a year after release.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.