Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Headline: Elder Scrolls Online - The most negatively received "reveal" in MMORPG history

Comments

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    By not making an FPS sandbox out of this they've already lost me and I've been playing TES since daggerfall. It's really sad actually. Really sad.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

It looks like starting in 2007  might have something to do with their lack of vision and willingness to use ES in name only to make a ES wow clone.  Players want a MMO world to live in, not jump through mini game hoops with a story slapped on the front. Everquest Next looks like it may the the sleeper game changer people are waiting for. A world to live in, not themepark.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by Chrome1980

Originally posted by gilgamesh42

they took away everything that made it elder scrolls without those things their game becomes the hallmark of  generic

fantasythemes the only thing its missng to make it the most generic thing since wow is dwarfs (which they'll probably add eventually)

these lazy developers keep going  back to the same copy and paste method (bioware, ZeniMax) while the guy there trying to copy (blizzard) is moving forward  with their new game but these dodo birds keep jumping off the cliff

Exaggerate some more please. 

exaggerate? based on current information no,no i did not

Yes you are exaggerating. I too have read the features list....

Open dungeons feature of tes feature of teso

Just wander off and find objectives, secret places, quests etc. feature of tes feature of teso

Levels feature of both games

Theif, mage, fighter guilds & dark brotherhood to join feature of both games

Star sign stones - feature of both games

Blocking / sprinting & stamina bar in combat - feature of both games

Soul stones and enchanting - feature of both games

Huge world - feature of both games

Non linear gampe play and world design feature of both games.

So nope not EVERYTHING is removed from TESO.

1)hurhur elite mobs in a cave  cuz no way they put raids in open areas without making them  pvp safe zones

2)ever play everquest 2 or  ton of other games(with the same thing) when you find a new area you  get a bit of exp and a achievement

3) maybe it will be interesting but most likely it will be some generics quest with some special gear at the end

4) omg thank goodness oh wait it will most likely just be  some silly 1% extra health buff crap 

5) they already said it wont be action based combat and since when was sprinting  something worth noting?

6) custamisible lightsabers now in black soul stone

7) now your trolling is getting silly  it was even said that the game will be lvl based zones aka you will be playing in the same place for 5 lvls then moving on to the next zone rinse repeat btw 

non linear gameplay wtf?  THE DUDE EVEN SAID IT WAS GOING TO BE WORLD OF WARCRAFT  ~.~ stupid chump troll

gtfo nub  elder scrolls without the sandbox is not elder scrolls its wow in an elder scrolls skin just like swtor was wow in a starwars skin

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

I don't even know what to say. Most of us knew that this game was going to be announced before it actually was. So, the fact that Elder Scrolls is going to be an MMO is no surprise to me. Here's the thing about it being it's reception being negative.

These forums are without a doubt, the most cynical, biased forums I've evr been a part of (and I really like it here). For the longest time, if the game wasn't Guild Wars 2, then it pretty much got bashed for... well... for not being Guild Wars 2. The turth is, there really isn't enough information to be negative or positive about this game yet. All we have is a few screen shots and very little information. At this point, haters are going to hate, I think.

Let us take a deep breath and see what the coming months bring us before we make a judgement. However, I think part of the fear is that they have been hugely successful in the single-player RPG genre and haver little to no experience with an MMO and the last time we went through that was with a game called The Old Republic that didn't quite live up to our lofty expectations and honestly, JBJioware had shown their lack of experience in a number of areas when it comes to creating an MMO. With that said, we can't be too negative or too positive because we just don't know how it's going to play out but I don't think we need to hate the game without knowing much of anything about it.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by IAmMMO

It looks like starting in 2007  might have something to do with their lack of vision and willingness to use ES in name only to make a ES wow clone.  Players want a MMO world to live in, not jump through mini game hoops with a story slapped on the front. Everquest Next looks like it may the the sleeper game changer people are waiting for. A world to live in, not themepark.

If we are putting our hopes in an SOE game........... God help us all, we are doomed.

I still think Archeage has the best chance to give us something thats somewhat different.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by Jakard

I don't even know what to say. Most of us knew that this game was going to be announced before it actually was. So, the fact that Elder Scrolls is going to be an MMO is no surprise to me. Here's the thing about it being it's reception being negative.

These forums are without a doubt, the most cynical, biased forums I've evr been a part of (and I really like it here). For the longest time, if the game wasn't Guild Wars 2, then it pretty much got bashed for... well... for not being Guild Wars 2. The turth is, there really isn't enough information to be negative or positive about this game yet. All we have is a few screen shots and very little information. At this point, haters are going to hate, I think.

Let us take a deep breath and see what the coming months bring us before we make a judgement. However, I think part of the fear is that they have been hugely successful in the single-player RPG genre and haver little to no experience with an MMO and the last time we went through that was with a game called The Old Republic that didn't quite live up to our lofty expectations and honestly, JBJioware had shown their lack of experience in a number of areas when it comes to creating an MMO. With that said, we can't be too negative or too positive because we just don't know how it's going to play out but I don't think we need to hate the game without knowing much of anything about it.

uh the official TES forums are up in arms as well, its not just MMORPG.com forums. 

Yes there is enough information, when a game blanantly comes out and says its aiming at playing like WoW, guess what we all know what that entails even if you have never played WoW like myself. I have played its multiple clones, I dont want to play another wow clone. Especially one where the IP being made into a wow clone has no position being that type of gameplay. I want to play a new MMO not a reskinned version with a minor tweak or two. I hope this game crashes and burns so maybe developers will start developing MMO's again and not copy and pasting them.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

as long as its not made by sellouts it will probably be ok

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

-"This time, saving the world from the awakening of ancient evil is only the beginning. What happens when hundreds or thousands of prophesied heroes all think that they should be Emperor?"

What if I don't WANT to be Emperor? What if I just want to be fisher? Or farmer? Or Paladin? Or hunter in the wood? Or some old mage?

-Visually it looks like other Hero Engine MMOs like SWTOR

Yuck. :(

-There will be no player housing

VERY VERY bad idea!

-There will be no NPC romances or marriage

Why not? They are fun.

-As such, the game uses a hubless design

-For example, you don't necessarily pick up a quest to do the following, but if you kill all the necromancers in an undead barrow, a shade you free at the end will reward you.

Sounds good and refreshing/new.

-The imperials are an enemy to all three factions, lead by the noble Tharn family and the King of Worms, Mannimarco, and are hatching a plot to take over all of Tamriel

Sad, I always loved to support the Empire.

-Also, your soul has already been stolen by Molag Bal, which is the reason you can come back from death over and over again, and the starting plot is that you're fighting Molag Bal to get your soul back from him

Let me get this straight: by some unfortunate accident I am immortal now, but my quest is to be mortal again? Whoa? If Molag Bal made me immortal, maybe I should rather join him! ;)

-Hitting the level cap takes about 120 hours

Ok, and what do I do after 12 days??

-Each faction has their own leveling content

Ok thats certainly a bonus. ^^

-The most accomplished PvP player on your faction becomes emperor whenever you take over the capital

Bizzare and just so wrong on so many levels.

-The game will have raids and heroic modes for its dungeons as end game content in addition to faction PvP

Sounds like the endgame of SWTOR. YUCK :(

-For example, a rogue can put oil on the ground that a mage can set on fire

-A fighter can also spin in the firestorm a mage puts down, which sends out fireballs

-If you've seen Guild Wars 2 videos, the above will seem familiar

Sounds good to me.

-There is also no aggro mechanic in the game, which is part of the reason stamina blocking and healing exist

Hmmm... I have a hard time imagening a MMO without aggro mechanic. How can people cooperate meaningful without it?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I think this forum post covers it. . . look what happened to Fallout. . and it was a success.  Not saying I like it but deep down we all know we are no longer the target audience :)

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1372327-ok-what-is-happening-in-zenimax-in-this-precise-moment/page__view__findpost__p__20739138

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

I think this forum post covers it. . . look what happened to Fallout. . and it was a success.  Not saying I like it but deep down we all know we are no longer the target audience :)

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1372327-ok-what-is-happening-in-zenimax-in-this-precise-moment/page__view__findpost__p__20739138

And I can pull out Fallout Tactics and Fallout Brotherhood Of Steel to counter this argument.

What was the success in F3 was sticking to the -core- concept of Fallout and then translating it to first person without loosing too much. Sure a few things got removed and the scale of the world was severely limited but the core concepts stayed the same.

F3 is very much a fallout game, not the best one, but still true to its line of predecessors.

The core concept in F:BoS and Tactics however was violated, and hence it completely tanked, and nobody likes to talk about them anymore. The funny thing is, most people agree that Tactics actually is a -decent- tactics game, its just not a good Fallout game.

The same is happening here.

TESO will no doubt be a -decent- MMO, just not a TES game, and should not have the TES name on the cover.

PS: i guarantee now that since ZeniMax now won the Fallout Online lawsuit and they hold all the rights to Fallout, we will also see a similar treatment to Fallout.

I'm giving it 2 years and there will be Fallout Online. At least there the return to 3rd person, click-target, methodic, tactical combat would actually make sense.

PPS: this trend i've seen in every recent MMO, everything is fucking backwards. STO in stead of having methodical submarine-like combat like the TV-series and movies opted for twitchy crap with direct controls. while the ground-combat is tab-target whack-a-mole fest.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Hmmm how did people cooperate in gw1 with no agro mechanic
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by toddze

Originally posted by Jakard

uh the official TES forums are up in arms as well, its not just MMORPG.com forums. 

Yes there is enough information, when a game blanantly comes out and says its aiming at playing like WoW, guess what we all know what that entails even if you have never played WoW like myself. I have played its multiple clones, I dont want to play another wow clone. Especially one where the IP being made into a wow clone has no position being that type of gameplay. I want to play a new MMO not a reskinned version with a minor tweak or two. I hope this game crashes and burns so maybe developers will start developing MMO's again and not copy and pasting them.

Then don't play a WoW clone, the rest of us will and will likely enjoy it if well made.  The problem with some of the past "WoW Clones" was that they didn't clone WoW well enough.  We get it, people like you can't stand anything that is "Popular".  If they make a good game based on WoW mechanics, then I'll be quite content.  Hopefully raiding won't be the only worthwhile endeavor at end game.  Even if it does, I managed to enjoy WoW for several years without doing a single raid.  Alts are a casual gamer's best tool to combat end games that are built to exclude us.

There are plenty of action oriented games coming down the pike to tickle your fancy, including the current Tera and imminent GW2 / The Secret World.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

they took away everything that made it elder scrolls without those things their game becomes the hallmark of  generic

fantasythemes the only thing its missng to make it the most generic thing since wow is dwarfs (which they'll probably add eventually)

these lazy developers keep going  back to the same copy and paste method (bioware, ZeniMax) while the guy there trying to copy (blizzard) is moving forward  with their new game but these dodo birds keep jumping off the cliff

Just wander off and find objectives, secret places, quests etc. feature of tes feature of teso

1)hurhur elite mobs in a cave  cuz no way they put raids in open areas without making them  pvp safe zones

2)ever play everquest 2 or  ton of other games(with the same thing) when you find a new area you  get a bit of exp and a achievement

3) maybe it will be interesting but most likely it will be some generics quest with some special gear at the end

4) omg thank goodness oh wait it will most likely just be  some silly 1% extra health buff crap 

5) they already said it wont be action based combat and since when was sprinting  something worth noting?

7) now your trolling is getting silly  it was even said that the game will be lvl based zones aka you will be playing in the same place for 5 lvls then moving on to the next zone rinse repeat btw 

non linear gameplay wtf?  THE DUDE EVEN SAID IT WAS GOING TO BE WORLD OF WARCRAFT  ~.~ stupid chump troll

gtfo nub  elder scrolls without the sandbox is not elder scrolls its wow in an elder scrolls skin just like swtor was wow in a starwars skin

You are angry because i proved you wrong? you said EVERYTHING that makes TESO an ES game has been removed. Just suck it up and accept that you are wrong.  TESO is not even close to what you call a WOW clone.

But i am glad i contributed towards your mental breakdown. By the way the features i posted are all in ES series, your counter argment is silly because i could care less if they are already in other MMOS, the point of my post was to show that features of ES are infact being used in TESO.

Weak really, try again.

Maybe if you people could financially support your sandbox games better, they'd make more of them.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

You are angry because i proved you wrong? you said EVERYTHING that makes TESO an ES game has been removed. Just suck it up and accept that you are wrong.  TESO is not even close to what you call a WOW clone.

But i am glad i contributed towards your mental breakdown. By the way the features i posted are all in ES series, your counter argment is silly because i could care less if they are already in other MMOS, the point of my post was to show that features of ES are infact being used in TESO.

Weak really, try again.

You forgot the most important ES feature that they are removing. Complete freedom to do what I want. By locking the races to factions and adding classes they removed the most important feature from an ES game. The things you listed are not what makes an ES game.

Oh and Oblivion and Skyrim do not have a huge world. Daggerfall has a huge world. Morrowind a soso world. 

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Originally posted by AdamTM

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

And I can pull out Fallout Tactics and Fallout Brotherhood Of Steel to counter this argument.

What was the success in F3 was sticking to the -core- concept of Fallout and then translating it to first person without loosing too much. Sure a few things got removed and the scale of the world was severely limited but the core concepts stayed the same.

F3 is very much a fallout game, not the best one, but still true to its line of predecessors.

The core concept in F:BoS and Tactics however was violated, and hence it completely tanked, and nobody likes to talk about them anymore. The funny thing is, most people agree that Tactics actually is a -decent- tactics game, its just not a good Fallout game.

The same is happening here.

TESO will no doubt be a -decent- MMO, just not a TES game, and should not have the TES name on the cover.

PS: i guarantee now that since ZeniMax now won the Fallout Online lawsuit and they hold all the rights to Fallout, we will also see a similar treatment to Fallout.

I'm giving it 2 years and there will be Fallout Online. At least there the return to 3rd person, click-target, methodic, tactical combat would actually make sense.

PPS: this trend i've seen in every recent MMO, everything is fucking backwards. STO in stead of having methodical submarine-like combat like the TV-series and movies opted for twitchy crap with direct controls. while the ground-combat is tab-target whack-a-mole fest.

Very valid points.  I just don't think the game will fail because it is not a TES with online components.  I think it will fail because the market is saturated with games like the one they are making.

I am starting to believe it is indeed all about box sales.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

im no fanboy, nor a guy who likes raging..im yust an media/game design student in holland and its my opinion that Elder Scrolls mostly depends on features and the ambience of their singleplayer games...

i wont say itll be a bad game, cuz who know how good itll be...but atm i feel as if they see some mmo companies raise loads of support and money and think theyll earn way more money by going online..

i would tell them to stuck with singleplayer...thats what its best at and thats where its ruling for as long as they kept making those games. 

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED

Originally posted by Connmacart

Weak really, try again.

You forgot the most important ES feature that they are removing. Complete freedom to do what I want. By locking the races to factions and adding classes they removed the most important feature from an ES game. The things you listed are not what makes an ES game.

Oh and Oblivion and Skyrim do not have a huge world. Daggerfall has a huge world. Morrowind a soso world. 

I disagree on worl size of Morrowind being so so. yes daggerfall is huge but Morrowing with its two expansions combined is a lot bigger than Skyrim and Oblivion. Moreover, ES series is ever expanding and MMOS even have more potential to keep expanding the size of the world.

Again, if say 10 features out of 20 are missing that makes TESO an ES game it is still an ES game...i have said this many time before, those missing 10 features could have zero appeal to me, just like how the other 10 features might have zero appeal to you.

Game is still more than a year away from release and nothing with MMO when it coems to features is set in stone.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

snip

I disagree on worl size of Morrowind being so so. yes daggerfall is huge but Morrowing with its two expansions combined is a lot bigger than Skyrim and Oblivion. Moreover, ES series is ever expanding and MMOS even have more potential to keep expanding the size of the world.

Again, if say 10 features out of 20 are missing that makes TESO an ES game it is still an ES game...i have said this many time before, those missing 10 features could have zero appeal to me, just like how the other 10 features might have zero appeal to you.

Game is still more than a year away from release and nothing with MMO when it coems to features is set in stone.

That is only true if all features are equal and they are not. you can have 19 of the 20 features, but if the most important one is missing it will not be the same. You can recreate a Ferrari to the very last detail, but if it lacks the accompaning engine it will not be the same regardless of how much the same it looks.

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

It was negatively received, especially here.  Go look at any thread for any game. I would chance a guess that over 80% of all forum post are negative opinions.

I think we all need to eat more chocolate!!

Game could be great or crappy, there is no way for me to tell unless I actually play it.

Remember, the above statement is an opinion, be it negative or positive. (I think I just added to the 80%)

Yea.. I do like making my words different colors.

Life is Short, Read a Book.

snip

That is only true if all features are equal and they are not. you can have 19 of the 20 features, but if the most important one is missing it will not be the same. You can recreate a Ferrari to the very last detail, but if it lacks the accompaning engine it will not be the same regardless of how much the same it looks.

Again matter of prespective. What is important for you might not be important for me. For example for my brother exploration is the most important feature of ES game, for me it is open world, non linear game play..for someone else it could be housing and so on.

So for me i am getting my most important feature of ES...open world game play which does not focus on quest hubs and is not on rails. Not saying everyone else should feel the same.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Originally posted by Banquetto

Ever since Skyrim launched, there has been an absolute non-stop cavalcade of people saying "omg I WISH they would make an Elder Scrolls MMO!!" Now, they announce one and everyone is crying like little babies and making hysterical proclamations like "biggest slap in the face EVER!" Well, screw gamers, every day that passes I get more and more embarrassed to be a part of this pathetic subculture of whiners and complainers. Bugger off and do something else if you hate gaming so much.

God damn it dont you realize we all wished for ELDER SCROLLS MMO, Skyrim-like!!??

Not some "lets make money on famous IP, SWTOR style"cooldown based BS that is apparently to be released

I for one am ashamed of gamers like you that support crap developments and idiotic investments like this

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

Originally posted by Pigozz

Ever since Skyrim launched, there has been an absolute non-stop cavalcade of people saying "omg I WISH they would make an Elder Scrolls MMO!!" Now, they announce one and everyone is crying like little babies and making hysterical proclamations like "biggest slap in the face EVER!" Well, screw gamers, every day that passes I get more and more embarrassed to be a part of this pathetic subculture of whiners and complainers. Bugger off and do something else if you hate gaming so much.

God damn it dont you realize we all wished for ELDER SCROLLS MMO, Skyrim-like!!??

Not some "lets make money on famous IP, SWTOR style"cooldown based BS that is apparently to be released

I for one am ashamed of gamers like you that support crap developments and idiotic investments like this

I'm embrrassed that you can't see beyond your own play style without calling everyone else's crap.  You whine about crap developments and investments only because they aren't catering to your play style.

Nope, i doubt you can speak for all ES fans on the planet. 

*rolls eyes*

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Originally posted by Vorthanion

I'm embrrassed that you can't see beyond your own play style without calling everyone else's crap.  You whine about crap developments and investments only because they aren't catering to your play style.

I dont give a damn if there is 10000+ WoW - like games, I play them as well

Im mad that their raping one of the most succesful game fracnhises into something it was never meants to be

Elder Scrolls is since the first game famous for its openess, first person combat and classless system

TESO seems to offer none of these - thus only raping the famous IP

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them