Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Headline: Elder Scrolls Online - The most negatively received "reveal" in MMORPG history

Comments

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

If the game was going to be truly like Elder Scrolls Online than it would probably be a lot like Darkfall which most of you would totally whine about.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by morlock9

Welcome to next week's headline across the gaming community.

Regardless of the state of the recently revealed game or its ability to stand on it's own as an MMO, the development team has departed significantly from the features that characterized previous Elder Scrolls games and has resulted in a backlash from the fan base.

With the leak of some detailed information on game play, many have begun to wonder if the title of Elder Scrolls Online should be replaced with something more fitting a traditional MMO "Based upon the lore of the Elder Scrolls Series".

At a time when most MMO's benifit from exciting announcments, ESO is already being heralded as a falure for lack of vision. This appears to be the most negatively received "reveal" in the history of the modern MMORPG.         

This website does not represent gaming community world wide and more over these forums are know for this kind of stuff. No surprise there.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Ref:
    It sounds like gw2 done right. No stupid pvp annominity, no silly mandatory reset every 2 weeks, more open world & old school open dungeons. Im betting the crafting is better too taking influence from tes & uo rather than wow.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

Originally posted by Sid_Vicious

If the game was going to be truly like Elder Scrolls Online than it would probably be a lot like Darkfall which most of you would totally whine about.

if you take out FFA  PvP and Full loot...why would people cry about it?

This game (from the little that was leaked) has "generic" written all over it.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Sid_Vicious

Pretty much this.

The "true TES MMO" is there already, it is called Darkfall. You hate it too? Well, you only got what you asked for.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by colddog04

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by colddog04

I blame SWTOR.

I blame years of dreaming and expectation. It's sad that a Dev team can't strike out to find it's own identity, and be acknowledged good or bad for what it is rather than what it's not.

I just mean that SWTOR changed the way a lot of people view releases now - independant of actual quality of game. If SWTOR never came out, I think the news about the systems in place wouldn't have been taken so harshly. People see another clone instead of another game.

Although, for me personally, I am fairly disappointed by what I've seen. I feel like they aren't really bringing anything to the table we haven't seen. And it does feel like they are falling into a lot of old MMORPG tropes.

SWTOR hasn't really changed anything for me.  It's yet another game, albeit one of the biggest spending MMORPGs in the history of the genre, to not live up to expectations.  Even if details of SWTOR's gameplay were kept hush hush until release, players will eventually talk about what was in place.  Then the cat will be out of the bag.  Anyways, I'm sure it's making big money, but as an MMORPG, despite having the Star Wars name, the game is soulless.  When the biggest positive attribute of the game is voice overs, there should be cause for concern.

Anyways, it was another MMORPG touted as the end all, be all title.  The one alot of people said would be the last MMORPG they'll ever need.

Yeah.  Sure.

Another big name title, another one that failed to take the WoW crown, despite getting insane amount of resources.  There was so much money thrown at it, that I think it would have been enough to build several MMORPGs.  A budget almost all other dev teams can only dream of.  Yet what you have is one of the most uninspiring, loneliest playing MMORPGs ever to exist.

Now, back to this TESO (The Elder Scrolls Online):  We've debated a long time on these boards about that possiblity long before this recent bit of news came out.  Alot of longtime TES fans were very concerned about it.  The style of the SPRPG versions of TES games has been very open and allowing players to do what they want.  Character build system, even Skyrim's, is unique (or seldom used these days) in both SPRPGs and MMORPGs.  TES titles have generally been about one huge factor:  FREEDOM.

Alot of old TES fans say it can never be done right in an MMORPG.  I used to say that it can, but it would be a tightrope act.

But my assumption was that it would be Bethesda doing it.  But with this news, it isn't, just some random dudes.  Now I say this game has a colossal chance of failure in the crowd that this TESO game is aiming for:  TES fans.  For a couple reasons.

* Nobody knows Bethesda's formula for success in their TES games more than Bethesda themselves.  Now outsiders are going to try to replicate it.

* These outsiders, in all likeliness, follow the established pattern of what's been done by the majority of developers in the MMORPG genre.  Themepark, Class + Level System, very structured progression.  I am so sure that they will not follow at all the sandboxy heart of TES gaming.  Because MMORPGs are by design meant for large appeal, and that design for several years now is against sandboxy gaming, against the free-form style of TES.

Now, all of us naysayers could be wrong, but I'm pretty dang sure TESO will not come out like a TES "Online" should be, at least in respect to what TES gaming is.  I'm more likely to wake up tomorrow as a billionaire with 5 ultra hot supermodels in my bed, as well as winning the Nobel Peace Prize for establishing World Peace, before this TESO truly fits the bill of a TES game.

It has a 1% chance, but at least it has a chance.

Originally posted by RefMinor

It is simple the organised fanboy defence league is still deployed on GW2 duties, it will appear to be more popular when the hype squad makes the leap over

I dunno man, some of the harshest critics of this TESO are TES fans themselves.  The same crowd (that I'm a part of) that has been rampaging on these boards about the greatness of TES and recently, Skyrim.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

The backlash over at the official ESO boards is indeed amazing. I have never seen such a negative reaction. They really fucked up bad!

The flames are almost beautiful in a sad way.

I was browsing the boards there.  Some of the harshest hate has been really coming from the old TES fans.  Looking at the board registration dates, they go back years, like 2004 or something.  The concerns were just like what I mentioned in the post above yours.

This game is going to be aimed squarely at non-TES fans.  It sounds ridiculously stupid, I know, but a terrible knot in my gut is telling me that's what will happen.  Or that Burrito I had earlier is causing it.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Warmaker

This game is going to be aimed squarely at non-TES fans.  It sounds ridiculously stupid,

Does it?

To transform "TES features" into MMO would create something like Darkfall - not very successful title.
    TES series is not overly popular PC title thus the fanbase is rather small - not very promising customer base.

etc.
    etc.

There are simply more reasons why not to make the game for "TES fans" rather then for them.

Originally posted by Gdemami

This game is going to be aimed squarely at non-TES fans.  It sounds ridiculously stupid,

Does it?

To transform "TES features" into MMO would create something like Darkfall - not very successful title.

TES series is not overly popular PC title thus the fanbase is rather small - not very promising customer base.

etc.

etc.

There are simply more reasons why not to make the game for "TES fans" rather then for them.

Name me some RPG franchises that have been going consistently strong since at least the mid-1990s.

"The Elder Scrolls" will be among the very, very small list.  "Not overly popular PC title thus the fanbase is rather small" - Are you serious?  It is one of the strongest, longest-running RPG franchises there are on the PC platform.  It came out in the 1990s, a time rich with great RPGs on the PC, and out of them all, it is the ONLY one still running strong, and it has gotten stronger in its fanbase as time progressed.

If you got a list of great RPG franchises, I guarantee you TES will be among them.  Guaranteed.  It has a long-running, loyal fanbase that has gotten larger.  If that's not enough reasons to actually cater a TESO game for, I don't know what is.

Pissing off your own large fanbase is idiotic.  Something George Lucas has been doing since he's lost his touch.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Does it?

etc.

etc.

Wait, did you just say that Marrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, the 3 BEST SELLING PC RPG games of all time is not overly popular?

ROFLMAO...I bet you said that because your first ES game was Skyrim on the 360...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

Originally posted by Chrome1980

Regardless of the state of the recently revealed game or its ability to stand on it's own as an MMO, the development team has departed significantly from the features that characterized previous Elder Scrolls games and has resulted in a backlash from the fan base.

With the leak of some detailed information on game play, many have begun to wonder if the title of Elder Scrolls Online should be replaced with something more fitting a traditional MMO "Based upon the lore of the Elder Scrolls Series".

At a time when most MMO's benifit from exciting announcments, ESO is already being heralded as a falure for lack of vision. This appears to be the most negatively received "reveal" in the history of the modern MMORPG.         

This website does not represent gaming community world wide and more over these forums are know for this kind of stuff. No surprise there.

Actually this isn't in reference to this site.  It is in reference to the reaction on the New Elder Scrolls Online Forums below:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/190-elder-scrolls-online-general-discussion/

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Vorthanion

...and you're basing that on the responses from the boards on this website?  No surprise there, knowing that many of the lurkers here are devoted to sandbox / action games.  I don't see much if any negativity on other websites in regards to the release, with exception to MMORPG.com as usual.

Actually you should view the Bethesda Forums for the Elder Scrolls Online

The first reply to your 'headline' thread over there pretty much nailed it.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1371958-headline-eso-the-most-negatively-received-reveal-in-mmorpg-history/page__view__findpost__p__20732051

"This is a MMO, it is going to be made like an MMO, this game is made for people who like MMO's and enjoy playing MMO's. This game is not nor will not be catered to the small yet loud minority of people who dont like MMO's and basically want a multiplayer skyrim "

As for here... the crowd here is so jaded and negative that it makes the old VNBoards look like a hiipie lovefest.

hero engine FAIL

the feautre I want is nothrrere FAIL

graphics style not what I want FAIL

It's predictable, sad and ridiculous.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Vorthanion

...and you're basing that on the responses from the boards on this website?  No surprise there, knowing that many of the lurkers here are devoted to sandbox / action games.  I don't see much if any negativity on other websites in regards to the release, with exception to MMORPG.com as usual.

Actually you should view the Bethesda Forums for the Elder Scrolls Online

The first reply to your 'headline' thread over there pretty much nailed it.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1371958-headline-eso-the-most-negatively-received-reveal-in-mmorpg-history/page__view__findpost__p__20732051

"This is a MMO, it is going to be made like an MMO, this game is made for people who like MMO's and enjoy playing MMO's. This game is not nor will not be catered to the small yet loud minority of people who dont like MMO's and basically want a multiplayer skyrim "

As for here... the crowd here is so jaded and negative that it makes the old VNBoards look like a hiipie lovefest.

hero engine FAIL

the feautre I want is nothrrere FAIL

graphics style not what I want FAIL

It's predictable, sad and ridiculous.

And you ignore the fact that it is lacking in every feature which made these games sucessful in the past?

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Ill repeat the obvious again if all rumors are true don't buy THE GAME and believe me they will be HURT the most.

Wallet with $ or € is very powerful TOOL.

Solution to this problem if thats case is so simple don't understand why you all so upset realy?

We don't even know if they continuing the SOLO series?

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Its par for the course at this site.

All the cool kids come here to bash every game and then giggle to themselves.

I am surprised any game company gives this site any time.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Im sorry I've gotta say it.

The like, half dozen guys on these forums, that think it would be ok for TESO to be made into an MMO like the "leak" says it will be, are not the fans of ES that have been waiting for an ES game.

These guys are the people that, if the leak is real, TESO would be aimed at.  They don't care what the game is, only that it's an ES game.  They would be perfectly happy to buy it if ZO made an exact copy of WoW and called it TESO. 

Now compare the number of people saying they aren't happy with the prospect of TESO releasing like any other generic EQ/ WoW formula MMO with a touch of DAoC thrown in, and ask yourself "what group should the game be geared at?"

Anyone who thinks that it's just the forums here that are in uproar, are living in an entirely other universe.  Every forum were people are discussign this is primarilly people yelling, "WTF! Beth?" with 2 or 3 other people going, "I don't understand, it sounds great."   The fans of ES are rather upset, denying that is beyond irrational; every forum looks exactly like this one here.

The funny part is, the past few day have clearly demonstrated that some people would be willing to pay for anything, just because of a name. 

I'll wait until they release official info, and just lauph at this for the time being.  If it's true, then I'll thank Weaver for putting a lawyer in charge of the company.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Originally posted by Classicstar

Ill repeat the obvious again if all rumors are true don't buy THE GAME and believe me they will be HURT the most.

Wallet with $ or € is very powerful TOOL.

Solution to this problem if thats case is so simple don't understand why you all so upset realy?

We don't even know if they continuing the SOLO series?

It could be because some of us, like myself have been beta testing games going back to the mid 90s and remember what it was like before kiddies got into open massive betas.

Back in the day, when beta testing was CLOSED to those that worked for the company, knew those in the company or passed through a hard beta test application we could actually HELP GUIDE the development in the game by talking to those making it about what we like, what we think the game needs, where it needs improvement.

Today, by the time Beta 1 starts the devs are locked into everything they want in the game and ignore for the most part what the beta testers say thanks to kiddies destroying the forum with "Its only beta" "give them a chance" or hey im just going to troll everyone that has anything to say about the game that doesnt look like kissing the backsides of the makers.

Today, you guys just roll over and accept an entire game of MEH as if you have no voice and no choice...and worst yet, are those that tell people who are talking about things in a game that THEY like and still tell them there is no point.

Actually, there is no point in YOU saying anything if you are not HELPING make the players voices heard.

Either support the person requesting or leave it alone, you are only making the entire genre worse by siderailing those trying to get companies to IMPROVE the games.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by jusomdude
    Yeah, isn't it funny how people wanted an Elder Scrolls MMO and they go ahead and make an Eldercraft MMO? Doesn't take a genius to see why people are complaining. If you don't like being part of the gaming community then go ahead and leave. No one will miss you and your high horse.
    People complain about things they don't like. Get used to it or get lost.

They made an "Eldercraft MMO" on your planet? Interesting. On my planet, people wanted an Elder Scrolls MMO, and an Elder Scrolls MMO was announced, with virtually zero detail so far. Then a bunch of whining little brats seized on the handful of sentences of information, decreed that this was going to be a terrible, terrible WoW clone, and proceeded to roll about on the floor, red-faced, throwing a crying and screaming tantrum that any two-year-old would be proud of.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384

Originally posted by kingotnw

Makes no sense at all...

Final Fantasy Online games are far different than their console versions and there is tons of those game...

UO is very different from the crap ton of the offline Ultima Games...

WoW is different than the original Warcraft games...

...and on and on... It's an MMORPG. Certain features are not 'optional'. 

you mind saying this again?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78

Does it?

etc.

etc.

What on earth are you going on about? Skyrim is the fastest selling title in Steam's history. It outsold all Steam games three-to-one in its first month. As of today, Skyrim is the third most played game on Steam behind TF 2 and DOTA 2 (which are both multiplayer games.) The Elder Scrolls also has a massive modding community. So no, the PC userbase is NOT small.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Does it?

etc.

etc.

You gonna share what your smoking?  Must be some REALLY good shit if it made you make that ridiculous statement.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Uhwop

Im sorry I've gotta say it.

The like, half dozen guys on these forums, that think it would be ok for TESO to be made into an MMO like the "leak" says it will be, are not the fans of ES that have been waiting for an ES game.

These guys are the people that, if the leak is real, TESO would be aimed at.  They don't care what the game is, only that it's an ES game.  They would be perfectly happy to buy it if ZO made an exact copy of WoW and called it TESO. 

Now compare the number of people saying they aren't happy with the prospect of TESO releasing like any other generic EQ/ WoW formula MMO with a touch of DAoC thrown in, and ask yourself "what group should the game be geared at?"

Anyone who thinks that it's just the forums here that are in uproar, are living in an entirely other universe.  Every forum were people are discussign this is primarilly people yelling, "WTF! Beth?" with 2 or 3 other people going, "I don't understand, it sounds great."   The fans of ES are rather upset, denying that is beyond irrational; every forum looks exactly like this one here.

The funny part is, the past few day have clearly demonstrated that some people would be willing to pay for anything, just because of a name. 

I'll wait until they release official info, and just lauph at this for the time being.  If it's true, then I'll thank Weaver for putting a lawyer in charge of the company.

Since when has any forum been recognized as representing the majority of the MMO player base?  I don't care if you add up alll the whiners from the dozen or so websites, they still wouldn't amount to a hill of beans.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

Originally posted by Sinaku

"Let me put it this way...

You found some cheese, and it was AWESOME.

So you were given another type of cheese, and it was good too.

And another type of cheese, and it was pretty good.

And another.

And antoher.

And another.

And now you're kinda getting tired of cheese, you'd like some other kind of food.

Well, this AWESOME bread company known for their ab-so-lute-ly DELICIOUS types of fancy bread has come to you, and you're like, "SWEET, BREAD!". But they offer you a sample from their new cheese line.

This is how we feel. We wanted something that's not cheese, and the bread guys showed up. We got excited, but were let down when they offered more cheese"

Best quote I have read from the Bethesda TESO forum haha

Perfect