Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Headline: Elder Scrolls Online - The most negatively received "reveal" in MMORPG history

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by kingotnw
    It's an MMORPG. Certain features are not 'optional'. 

Bull.

Originally posted by DAS1337
    Like I've said, people were going to be upset no matter what Zenimax decided to do from a design aspect.  A lot of the TES games just don't translate well to the MMO genre.  Some things were going to have to be changed for the greater good. 

Most things can be. They just don't because its not going to help profits.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

Originally posted by Gdemami

You gotta love loud minorities...

Usually I would back you on this one.  But not this time.  I know many of the typicaly silent majority who want to be heard over this one.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by firefly2003

Originally posted by colddog04

I blame SWTOR.

Blame WoW

I blame SWTOR for the reaction, not the game design.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by morlock9

Usually I would back you on this one.  But not this time.  I know many of the typicaly silent majority who want to be heard over this one.

It is easy.

I do not think that console gamers care about MMOs much and it was console sales making Skyrim so successful, PC sales are just a tiny fraction of the sales.

Therefore this "fan" base is really tiny and focusing on them would be unreasonable.

They are just loud, that's all.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

It is easy.

I do not think that console gamers care about MMOs much and it was console sales making Skyrim so successful, PC sales are just a tiny fraction of the sales.

Therefore this "fan" base is really tiny and focusing on them would be unreasonable.

They are just loud, that's all.

That's my point.  Not only are the console gamers disapointed, the MMO players reaction has been disapointment as well.

If you think that console gamers are not upset just take a look at http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/190-elder-scrolls-online-general-discussion/

That's my point.  Not only are the console gamers disapointed, the MMO players reaction has been disapointment as well.

You did not get the point.

Console gamers are not disappointed, they do not give a damn about MMOs. The one disappointed are PC gamers and those are tiny minority of Skyrim or TES franchise scucess.

• comic1973comic1973 Member Posts: 16

Never trust another MMORPG again after SWTOR

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Console gamers are not disappointed, they do not give a damn about MMOs. The one disappointed are PC gamers and those are tiny minority of Skyrim or TES franchise scucess.

You do realize you just made your own argument invalid right? If the console gamers dont give a damn about MMO's then by default PC gamers are not the minority but the majority when it comes to an opinion based off....oh thats right an MMO. With what you are saying console gamers should be ignored since they dont give a crap about the game in question in the first place.

By the way its NOT just PC gamers not happy about what they have heard.  I've had a few friends that have played morrowind, oblivion, and skyrim exclusivly on console rage about what they have heard. Mainly because they to want a multiplayer TES game and what little information we have didnt sound anything like TES to them.

So I guess really YOU do not get the point. For alot of us complaining the words "Classes" and "WoW based combat" was enough to turn us off since TES is NOT based around classes at all nor has it ever been hotbar/turnbased combat.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Console gamers care plenty about MMOs, and have since they started appearing on the consoles. You can thank games like DCUO for that.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by xenogias

You do realize you just made your own argument invalid right?

It is not invalid.

If console gamers did care about MMOs, there would be a fairly large fan base for TES MMO.
    If console gamers do not care about MMOs, the fan base is tiny.

It is in absolute numbers as well as relatively to non-fan potential customer base.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Maybe they are aiming more for console players who have probably played less MMOs and aren't tired of the same 'ol crap?

If so, they can choke on it.

Anyways the thing about console players not caring much is kinda invalid because the majority of MMO players are PC users so that is their target audience, so that is who they should be more concerned with.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Distopia

I blame SWTOR.

I blame years of dreaming and expectation. It's sad that a Dev team can't strike out to find it's own identity, and be acknowledged good or bad for what it is rather than what it's not.

I just mean that SWTOR changed the way a lot of people view releases now - independant of actual quality of game. If SWTOR never came out, I think the news about the systems in place wouldn't have been taken so harshly. People see another clone instead of another game.

Although, for me personally, I am fairly disappointed by what I've seen. I feel like they aren't really bringing anything to the table we haven't seen. And it does feel like they are falling into a lot of old MMORPG tropes.

I don't see this game going over well, because I don't see fans allowing it to be taken seriously. It is, in truth, a huge departure from what TES games have until now promoted in their gameplay, so I'm sort of laughing at anyone who's surprised at the bickering this has caused. I think people should have seen it coming; you don't have to agree with something to understand it.

But depending on how the other systems work out, it might be a big enough draw to pull in some gamers that don't necessarily follow or are a fan of the prior TES games. If that happens, I doubt Xenimax cares about the anger of people who are fans of the series, especially since Bethesda has nothing to do with it and is free to continue creating single player TES games to their heart's content. As I'm sure they will.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Ever since Skyrim launched, there has been an absolute non-stop cavalcade of people saying "omg I WISH they would make an Elder Scrolls MMO!!" Now, they announce one and everyone is crying like little babies and making hysterical proclamations like "biggest slap in the face EVER!" Well, screw gamers, every day that passes I get more and more embarrassed to be a part of this pathetic subculture of whiners and complainers. Bugger off and do something else if you hate gaming so much.
  • DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

According to :

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-elder-scrolls-online-what-we-know-so-far

IT appears the lore also is contradicting itself, way to fail!

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Originally posted by Banquetto

Ever since Skyrim launched, there has been an absolute non-stop cavalcade of people saying "omg I WISH they would make an Elder Scrolls MMO!!" Now, they announce one and everyone is crying like little babies and making hysterical proclamations like "biggest slap in the face EVER!" Well, screw gamers, every day that passes I get more and more embarrassed to be a part of this pathetic subculture of whiners and complainers. Bugger off and do something else if you hate gaming so much.

Yeah, isn't it funny how people wanted an Elder Scrolls MMO and they go ahead and make an Eldercraft MMO? Doesn't take a genius to see why people are complaining. If you don't like being part of the gaming community then go ahead and leave. No one will miss you and your high horse.

People complain about things they don't like. Get used to it or get lost.

• trillgodtrillgod Member Posts: 52

ESO has been in developement since 2007...how ere they suppose to what skyrim online was or what swtor..i think if they stared to make one today it would defly be in the shape of skyrim

• AesonSethAesonSeth Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Sinaku

"Let me put it this way...

You found some cheese, and it was AWESOME.

So you were given another type of cheese, and it was good too.

And another type of cheese, and it was pretty good.

And another.

And antoher.

And another.

And now you're kinda getting tired of cheese, you'd like some other kind of food.

Well, this AWESOME bread company known for their ab-so-lute-ly DELICIOUS types of fancy bread has come to you, and you're like, "SWEET, BREAD!". But they offer you a sample from their new cheese line.

This is how we feel. We wanted something that's not cheese, and the bread guys showed up. We got excited, but were let down when they offered more cheese"

Best quote I have read from the Bethesda TESO forum haha

Something about a hammer and a nail.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

Please are u basing it on the general mmorpg joe who cries about everything? Look around most ppl are hyped.

• GundricGundric Member UncommonPosts: 345

I hope it's not cheese. Cause I've got a problem with cheese...

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Originally posted by Otomox

Please are u basing it on the general mmorpg joe who cries about everything? Look around most ppl are hyped.

I have looked around, many are not, the rest haven’t read the details, and/or are IP zombies.

Yes we are a bunch of whiney SOBs, but we often have a point, and know the issues better than the general public. Are we asking too much for an Elder Scrolls mmo that evokes the Elder Scrolls games and not just the title?

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    It is simple the organised fanboy defence league is still deployed on GW2 duties, it will appear to be more popular when the hype squad makes the leap over
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Double post
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I dunno, defending this requires a lot of hair splitting, at best you can defend it as potentially good in its own right, but a lot of TES purists will never except it.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

At the moment, that type of game makes money. Folks are jumping on the bandwagon to cash in.

Personally, I am hoping some of these 'get on board' attitudes from  the better IPs (Game of Thrones, ESO) signifies SOMEONE seeing a change in the trend of MMOs in the near future. The current ones are jumping on the train while they can.

If so perhaps we'll see difference...and hopefully  a good difference in concepts coming soon.