Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Headline: Elder Scrolls Online - The most negatively received "reveal" in MMORPG history

Comments

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

Honestly? Will be like the other MMOs released lately, will make a ton of cash to the developers, will lose some players later, will remain there with probably enough players so they do enough cash to keep it up and profit well from it. *Shrugs*

Who like TES singleplayer will hate it to death, who don't care about TES single player will probably try it if they can provide the PvP they promised.

I am usually the silent part of the gamers, rarely i post on forums i mean.. look my post count.. i posted more on TESO then in years...

But is how it works , i think is impossible to deny, it will make a lot of cash at start  and probably enough to keep it profitable.

I hope they continue to develope TES single player and.. eh peace, they said will be mostly like any other MMO around, third person , hotbar and all that jazz, no amount of blue faces is going to change that, not that i like it but i guess, the next time i have 100 million dollars to spend i'll try to found a TES project how i like it...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by PyrateLV

O

Semantics

They are involved. They still have thier fingers in the pie and Im am sure have some creative input

IF people actually read the info avaiable there would be no guess work here, they said plainly that Todd Howard is overseeing this aspect of the game.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Distopia

O

Semantics

They are involved. They still have thier fingers in the pie and Im am sure have some creative input

IF people actually read the info avaiable there would be no guess work here, they said plainly that Todd Howard is overseeing this aspect of the game.

If we are going by the info available it says he is overseeing Lore and Geography and nothing more. So... they are pretty much being used as consultants and only on those 2 aspects. So yes... they are involved, whether you find this involvment significant is up to you.

I mean thats like saying the Military developed or helped develop the CoD series because Hank Keirsey was the military advisor for many of the CoD games.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

What they needed was a co-op mode for skyrim.

What we are going to get is a WoW clone.  Or at least that is what the head exec's probably ordered...  Lets hope that someone down the line has the senses to make a unique quality game and the sneakiness to get that past the CEOs and $$-eyed board members.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by wormywyrm

What they needed was a co-op mode for skyrim.

What we are going to get is a WoW clone.  Or at least that is what the head exec's probably ordered...  Lets hope that someone down the line has the senses to make a unique quality game and the sneakiness to get that past the CEOs and $$-eyed board members.

Hopefully will it be closer to DaoC.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by Distopia

O

Semantics

If we are going by the info available it says he is overseeing Lore and Geography and nothing more. So... they are pretty much being used as consultants and only on those 2 aspects. So yes... they are involved, whether you find this involvment significant is up to you.

I mean thats like saying the Military developed or helped develop the CoD series because Hank Keirsey was the military advisor for many of the CoD games.

I actually hit the wrong quote, meant to reply to this post by pyrate.

"They are "consulting" on the game lore aspect"

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Blackwater56Blackwater56 Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by Gdemami

You gotta love loud minorities...

There's that term again.

Don't worry, I won't say I told you so when ESO sinks along with <GAAAAASP>:

The Old Republic

Warhammer Online

APB

Age of Conan 

Vanguard  

Final Fantasy XIV

Star Trek Online 

Asheron's Call

And every other "WoW-killer" or MMO that was forced to go F2P to save itself from sinking.

• GwahlurGwahlur Member UncommonPosts: 201

I would definitely play an Elder Scrolls MMO.

I will not play a generic MMORPG no matter how many words are different from other generic MMORPGS 's words for stories and lore.

"Typical mmorpg" this, "can't change mmorpg formula" that, all bullshit. I am definitely done with MMORPG's with the way things are (not) developing, the only entertainment they give come from their accompanying forums.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

TES died with Oblivion. Skyrim was ok but ultimately shallow when you got through the gloss. Dumbed down console-friendly mechanics, invisible walls, cliche storyline.

While it's impossible to say how the MMO will be recieved by the market, expect another safe mainstream title. Throw lore out the window, an MMO will always butcher it.

O_o o_O

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

It doesn't sound too good.

But this might be a sleeper hit.

The next Dark Age Of Camelot.

(GW2 is bound to fail in regards of RvR)

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Spouting gibberish.

You people are dumb.  Every game is the next DAoC according to you people...

Stop pinning for the past you make yourself sound retarded.

The game will be the next Elder Scrolls, no more, no less.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by Ikeda

Spouting gibberish.

actually more like a F8ck ton less.

They took an old broken down ford focus, stole a mercedes emblem from down the street slapped it on the focus.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

Originally posted by Bigdavo

TES died with Oblivion. Skyrim was ok but ultimately shallow when you got through the gloss. Dumbed down console-friendly mechanics, invisible walls, cliche storyline.

While it's impossible to say how the MMO will be recieved by the market, expect another safe mainstream title. Throw lore out the window, an MMO will always butcher it.

I agree.  The elderscrolls games have been deviating from its freedom of choice roots since Oblivion (IMO).  Im not sure if this is more noticable because im an oldschool elderscrolls fan who has been playing these games since their inception. Regardless this decline in player choices, simplifying of classes and skills and the overall omission of some very unique features is not a new movement with this IP in particular. 

With this in mind, the direction that the ESO appears to be taking doesn't really come as that huge of a letdown for me. I have seen this decline in the works for a while. It is just an admission that developer focus has shifted over the years and for me, not in a positive way.

• greyed-outgreyed-out Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by Bigdavo

Did you prefer the hit and block dice rolls of Morrowind?  Oblivion changed that for the better, IMO.  No the combat still isn't great, but its better than Morrowind, IMO.  Skyrim improved on that a bit, but still has a long ways to go.  And lastly, while Skyrim has its share of criticisms, I'm not sure invisible walls is one of them.  Sure there might be a few here and there, or at the boundaries of the game, but Skyrim can not reasonable be criticized for that at all.  Now Amalur Reckoning; THERE's a game with invisible walls...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I dunno, Warhammer 40k got a pretty negative reception. It seems like it got a pretty negative reception for the same reason - departure from what the fans considered the core game.

Deserved or not, developers and publishers shouldn't really be surprised at this.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• dooneydooney Member Posts: 69

I hope this game gets cancelled

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Ikeda

Spouting gibberish.

actually more like a F8ck ton less.

They took an old broken down ford focus, stole a mercedes emblem from down the street slapped it on the focus.

Best damn analogy yet. image

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

Originally posted by morlock9

Welcome to next week's headline across the gaming community.

Regardless of the state of the recently revealed game or its ability to stand on it's own as an MMO, the development team has departed significantly from the features that characterized previous Elder Scrolls games and has resulted in a backlash from the fan base.

With the leak of some detailed information on game play, many have begun to wonder if the title of Elder Scrolls Online should be replaced with something more fitting a traditional MMO "Based upon the lore of the Elder Scrolls Series".

At a time when most MMO's benifit from exciting announcments, ESO is already being heralded as a falure for lack of vision. This appears to be the most negatively received "reveal" in the history of the modern MMORPG.         

I completely agree, its an insult to TES fans and another slap in the face to MMO gamers in general.  Simply another cash grab by a game company...one that somehow managed to convince Bethseda to sell them the rights for the game.

I hope as many others have said..that TES online gets cancelled the last thing i would play is a tab target instanced POS mmo that calls itself a TES game, when its not even a sandbox...its TES : Azeroth.

Everytime i discuss this game i get upset, again...cancelled is the best thing we can all expect from this heap of crap.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by salenger

Regardless of the state of the recently revealed game or its ability to stand on it's own as an MMO, the development team has departed significantly from the features that characterized previous Elder Scrolls games and has resulted in a backlash from the fan base.

With the leak of some detailed information on game play, many have begun to wonder if the title of Elder Scrolls Online should be replaced with something more fitting a traditional MMO "Based upon the lore of the Elder Scrolls Series".

At a time when most MMO's benifit from exciting announcments, ESO is already being heralded as a falure for lack of vision. This appears to be the most negatively received "reveal" in the history of the modern MMORPG.         

I completely agree, its an insult to TES fans and another slap in the face to MMO gamers in general.  Simply another cash grab by a game company...one that somehow managed to convince Bethseda to sell them the rights for the game.

I hope as many others have said..that TES online gets cancelled the last thing i would play is a tab target instanced POS mmo that calls itself a TES game, when its not even a sandbox...its TES : Azeroth.

Everytime i discuss this game i get upset, again...cancelled is the best thing we can all expect from this heap of crap.

Want to be more upset? No one convinced Bethesda to sell the rights for the game, Zenimax Online is making TESO and they are are a part of Zenimax which also owns Bethesda. It's all being done inhouse essentially.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

My only real worry?  Are they going to make any single player Elder Scrolls games after this?  ES is a kind of legend on its own. 

One thing I've always loved about ES is that with every new game its a huge leap forward.  Graphically, play wise, really the whole thing.  Its the one series that actually gives me a visual stimuli on how technology is progressing.  I loved that. 

I like mmos just fine.  But not because they are mmos.  I just like games in general.  Other people playing?  Cool.  Not?  Cool.  I dont care.  I play a game mmo or not because its an escape from reality. 

But I never wanted an ES mmo.  Ever.  Its always had a magic all its own.  I never felt it really needed the mmo treatment.  I also smiled when Todd Howard said they had no interest in making an Elder Scrolls MMO shortly before Skyrim came out.  I shared the opinion.  So what the hell is this!?  This game had to be in development for awhile.  Why did Todd Howard lie?  It makes no sense! 

So an ES mmo can come and do its thing but if that means I dont get to enjoy any more ES single player sagas that seriously sucks.  Id trade a thousand mmos for the single player games to continue to evolve as they have always done and continue to be released. 

But I admit Im a bit of a hater in one regard.  I HATE it when single player franchises, specifically rpgs are made into mmos.  It really doesnt happen often.  Heck I cant even recall one.  So this really irks me.  The mmo will be dubbed down from its single player counterparts thats a given.  It wont have the same combat, and it wont have the same graphics. 

Has the Elder Scrolls franchise ever gone backwards?  No.  Until now.  WHY?  Because its an mmo the combat mechanics wont be the same.  The graphics will not be as good.  Its a step backwards mmo or not and Elder Scrolls has never done that. 

Like I said I dont care if they make an mmo of it as long as the single player games continue to be developed.  But if not?  That just sucks.  It sucks a lot. 

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Originally posted by Corehaven

snip

People will be quick to assume NO WAY, but they are not thinking the way executives of a major media corporation think.

Brand is brand is brand.  You are only as good as your last project.  These two pillars will basically send TES hurtling into a problematic area. 

IF the MMO fails, which in all likelihood it will, then Zenimax may cut funding to TES VI and/or simply pushed the Fallout franchise to the forefront, not making any more TES games.

IF the MMO is successful, we might see some of the "typical MMO features" making their way into the single-player game.

Don't be so quick to dismiss the idea that TES and ESO are inextricably linked and that non-gaming executives generally don't see the subtle nuance between MMORPG and SPRPG.  They see only profit and loss.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by Entinerint

snip

People will be quick to assume NO WAY, but they are not thinking the way executives of a major media corporation think.

Brand is brand is brand.  You are only as good as your last project.  These two pillars will basically send TES hurtling into a problematic area. 

IF the MMO fails, which in all likelihood it will, then Zenimax may cut funding to TES VI and/or simply pushed the Fallout franchise to the forefront, not making any more TES games.

IF the MMO is successful, we might see some of the "typical MMO features" making their way into the single-player game.

Don't be so quick to dismiss the idea that TES and ESO are inextricably linked and that non-gaming executives generally don't see the subtle nuance between MMORPG and SPRPG.  They see only profit and loss.

I think there is a good chance it will just be like sims online was...'oopsy, nevermind, lets go back to what we know'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Can you provide any facts as to this cash grab or is this one of those many sheepish posts trying to fit into this negative community.

Don't know if you noticed but every game is bashed on this site. No developer could ever cater to the people who frequent this site.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Originally posted by Soandsoso

snip

snip

Can you provide any facts as to this cash grab or is this one of those many sheepish posts trying to fit into this negative community.

Don't know if you noticed but every game is bashed on this site. No developer could ever cater to the people who frequent this site.

You should check out the official ESO forums.  Most TES games are freaked out and drooled over, with a few nitpickers here and there but NOTHING, I tell you NOTHING has drawn so much ire from the fanbase as this.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/190-elder-scrolls-online-general-discussion/

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Entinerint

snip
    snip

I think there is a good chance it will just be like sims online was...'oopsy, nevermind, lets go back to what we know'

In the immortal words of Lt. Ellen Ripley: "I hope you're right, I really do."

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Vorthanion

...and you're basing that on the responses from the boards on this website?  No surprise there, knowing that many of the lurkers here are devoted to sandbox / action games.  I don't see much if any negativity on other websites in regards to the release, with exception to MMORPG.com as usual.

Paul Sage at Zenimax seems to realize it's a bit more than that, given what he said in a recent interview with game informer.  I would link it, but honestly, for some reason mmorpg.com is having problems formatting.