Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Headline: Elder Scrolls Online - The most negatively received "reveal" in MMORPG history

NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

Welcome to next week's headline across the gaming community.

Regardless of the state of the recently revealed game or its ability to stand on it's own as an MMO, the development team has departed significantly from the features that characterized previous Elder Scrolls games and has resulted in a backlash from the fan base.

With the leak of some detailed information on game play, many have begun to wonder if the title of Elder Scrolls Online should be replaced with something more fitting a traditional MMO "Based upon the lore of the Elder Scrolls Series".

At a time when most MMO's benifit from exciting announcments, ESO is already being heralded as a falure for lack of vision. This appears to be the most negatively received "reveal" in the history of the modern MMORPG.         

Comments

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333

Originally posted by morlock9

Regardless of the state of the recently revealed game or its ability to stand on it's own as an MMO, the development team has departed significantly from the features that characterized previous Elder Scrolls games and has resulted in a backlash from the fan base.

With the leak of some detailed information on game play, many have begun to wonder if the title of Elder Scrolls Online should be replaced with something more fitting a traditional MMO "Based upon the lore of the Elder Scrolls Series".

At a time when most MMO's benifit from exciting announcments, ESO is already being heralded as a falure for lack of vision. This appears to be the most negatively received "reveal" in the history of the modern MMORPG.         

I hope, and I hope they learn from it too.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I blame SWTOR.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

...and you're basing that on the responses from the boards on this website?  No surprise there, knowing that many of the lurkers here are devoted to sandbox / action games.  I don't see much if any negativity on other websites in regards to the release, with exception to MMORPG.com as usual.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by colddog04

I blame SWTOR.

I blame years of dreaming and expectation. It's sad that a Dev team can't strike out to find it's own identity, and be acknowledged good or bad for what it is rather than what it's not.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

Originally posted by Vorthanion

...and you're basing that on the responses from the boards on this website?  No surprise there, knowing that many of the lurkers here are devoted to sandbox / action games.  I don't see much if any negativity on other websites in regards to the release, with exception to MMORPG.com as usual.

Actually you should view the Bethesda Forums for the Elder Scrolls Online

http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/190-elder-scrolls-online-general-discussion/

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

The MMORPG columnist nailed it incidentaly when writing about "Azeroth: Elder Scrolls Edition".^^

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• comic1973comic1973 Member Posts: 16

I'm extremely disappointed.

Sounds like they just want to cash in on the Elder Scroll name just like Star Wars and SWTOR. 

I want an open world MMORPG, not a single player MMO like SWTOR or TESO disguised as a MMO

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

"Let me put it this way...

You found some cheese, and it was AWESOME.
    So you were given another type of cheese, and it was good too.
    And another type of cheese, and it was pretty good.
    And another.
    And antoher.
    And another.
    And now you're kinda getting tired of cheese, you'd like some other kind of food.
    Well, this AWESOME bread company known for their ab-so-lute-ly DELICIOUS types of fancy bread has come to you, and you're like, "SWEET, BREAD!". But they offer you a sample from their new cheese line.

This is how we feel. We wanted something that's not cheese, and the bread guys showed up. We got excited, but were let down when they offered more cheese"

Best quote I have read from the Bethesda TESO forum haha

Originally posted by Thorqemada

The MMORPG columnist nailed it incidentaly when writing about "Azeroth: Elder Scrolls Edition".^^

How is this like WOW? Don't understand...

Originally posted by comic1973

I want an open world MMORPG, not a single player MMO like SWTOR or TESO disguised as a MMO

Last I checked it was open world, I mean if we're going to go by the vagueness of the details, at least get those right.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

I blame SWTOR.

Blame WoW

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Distopia

I blame SWTOR.

I blame years of dreaming and expectation. It's sad that a Dev team can't strike out to find it's own identity, and be acknowledged good or bad for what it is rather than what it's not.

I just mean that SWTOR changed the way a lot of people view releases now - independant of actual quality of game. If SWTOR never came out, I think the news about the systems in place wouldn't have been taken so harshly. People see another clone instead of another game.

Although, for me personally, I am fairly disappointed by what I've seen. I feel like they aren't really bringing anything to the table we haven't seen. And it does feel like they are falling into a lot of old MMORPG tropes.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I am not a big player of their games, but I was hoping for something that was going to be somewhat different...I hate to even say, due to everyone argues what things mean, but something like original EQ, but modern, before all the instancing...Something sandboxish, or a hybrid....

I guess I will wait and see, but yeah it is a let down, and from the reaction, not a lot of people are excited by the 'vision'.

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210

So why did they waste a lot of money in court getting the rights to Fallout back just to announce they will try and make a MMO out of there Elder scrolls genre. Makes no financial sense to me.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

What do they expect? This is possibly the biggest slap in the face any company has ever dealt to their fans.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Originally posted by Chuckanar
    So why did they waste a lot of money in court getting the rights to Fallout back just to announce they will try and make a MMO out of there Elder scrolls genre. Makes no financial sense to me.

They have the funds to do both. TES is more popular right now with the release of Skyrim I believe. It's all about big money. Lets make a generic game the casuals can play and that the true MMO lovers still get shit on.
  • QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Originally posted by Sinaku

"Let me put it this way...

You found some cheese, and it was AWESOME.

So you were given another type of cheese, and it was good too.

And another type of cheese, and it was pretty good.

And another.

And antoher.

And another.

And now you're kinda getting tired of cheese, you'd like some other kind of food.

Well, this AWESOME bread company known for their ab-so-lute-ly DELICIOUS types of fancy bread has come to you, and you're like, "SWEET, BREAD!". But they offer you a sample from their new cheese line.

This is how we feel. We wanted something that's not cheese, and the bread guys showed up. We got excited, but were let down when they offered more cheese"

Best quote I have read from the Bethesda TESO forum haha

That was phenomenal.  Totally sums it up.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Chuckanar

There was a very specific reason for the lawsuit.  It is never a waste of money to protect your trademark.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Let me guess. Someone stole your sweet roll.

After seeing the "features" of this game, they seem to have stolen mine as well................

Joined - July 2004

• kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103

Makes no sense at all...

Final Fantasy Online games are far different than their console versions and there is tons of those game...

UO is very different from the crap ton of the offline Ultima Games...

WoW is different than the original Warcraft games...

...and on and on... It's an MMORPG. Certain features are not 'optional'. 

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Originally posted by remyburke

Let me guess. Someone stole your sweet roll.

After seeing the "features" of this game, they seem to have stolen mine as well................

They didn't just steal my roll they also pissed in my cheerios.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by kingotnw

Makes no sense at all...

Final Fantasy Online games are far different than their console versions and there is tons of those game...

UO is very different from the crap ton of the offline Ultima Games...

WoW is different than the original Warcraft games...

...and on and on... It's an MMORPG. Certain features are not 'optional'. 

Well I think the problem is at this point Dark Fall seems to be more of what people would expect an ES mmo to play like than ESO. I am not talking about the sandbox elements or FFA PvP.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Like I've said, people were going to be upset no matter what Zenimax decided to do from a design aspect.  A lot of the TES games just don't translate well to the MMO genre.  Some things were going to have to be changed for the greater good. 

Personally, I'm fine with a lot of the changes.  Though, I'm not sure about the faction play.  Though, in order to stay true to the racism in TES games, factions had to be made.  The players aren't going to actually roleplay that kind of stuff.  I'm very upset over the exclusion of player housing.  Yet again, another development team has swung and missed on the importance of player property within a game space.  It's truely sad.  The only TES game I could get into was Skyrim.  I absolutely hate FPV.  For me, it breaks immersion.  It is just as unrealistic as TPV.  You have no peripheral vision in FPV games.  That and most people don't like it in MMO's because you can't keep track of your surroundings.  Yet 'PvP' games love to adopt the viewpoint, then proceed to wonder why no one wants to play their game.  It's laughable.  I'm just hoping it isn't TOO MUCH like WoW.  There's a reason I'm not playing WoW.  If ESO doesn't distinguish itself from what we've seen over and over again, I'm not even going to waste my time.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

You gotta love loud minorities...

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I blame SWTOR.

This is truer than some might believe. 

Blame WoW 4 years ago the whole world thought that game would grow forever. That that model could not lose. I damn near think someone did it on purpose.

side note - Look how good Trion world looks. Timing is everything. How the heck did they get that game out so quick at just the right time for a fraction of the budget. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"