Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the fans who don't approve of this MMO still play?

Comments

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by Indol

Originally posted by Kinchyle

Seriously...people...are you really making posts about this now?

Get over yourselves and see what will come. Stop making post JUST to make posts about thing s YOU HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT!!!

Apparently the article doesn't exist guys, it's all good.

It's all good for those of us who wait and see...not get what we want out of an article and come here to spew BS (all in a normal day here). Nothing in that article tells me anything but "wait and see". Sorry you have an agenda...

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Sorry I'll be playing Guild Wars 2 :p

Still, I suppose this could be good especially if it gets an M rating like the other Elder Scrolls.. then it may actually have a solid place in the MMO space. Assuming they stick to their roots and dont stray too much..

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Xzen

Based on the info we have. No I will not play it.

If I had to make an early prediction, that would be it.

But since we're at least a couple of years out...everyone's making wild guesses anyway.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Get over yourselves and see what will come. Stop making post JUST to make posts about thing s YOU HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT!!!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472749

Heh I wish that 20 page game infomer arcticle didn't exist.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by nilden

I read it...and?

I really want to know what you people here think will be a good game. Seems like every game gets the same treatment.

I for one have brainpower above a bag of wet hair. So I wait and see...play and THEN give an opinion.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Stick to there roots and it will have millions of players go themepark ala WoW/TOR style and it will fail misrable if the true Elder Scrolls fans are real fans of Elder Scroll solo games thats to be seen in near future offcorse, they will not play a cheap thempark pile of shit.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by nilden

I read it...and?

I really want to know what you people here think will be a good game. Seems like every game gets the same treatment.

I for one have brainpower above a bag of wet hair. So I wait and see...play and THEN give an opinion.

You don't have to walk through pile after pile of dog shit to know it's shit.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by PyrateLV

That was because they turned off decay/maintenence. It wasnt the actual implementation of housing itself, but SOEs method for dealing with cancelled accounts

in which case that is what any open world housing solutioin should have. decay maitenance.

But i suspect tht our friends at Zenimax find it too labor intensive to create plots upon plots for mmo housing.

Decay never destroyed a house anyway, all it did was bar entry.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

That was because they turned off decay/maintenence. It wasnt the actual implementation of housing itself, but SOEs method for dealing with cancelled accounts

Decay only hindered entrance to a home. For a simple reason, a home was more or less a bank vault. Destroying a home meant destroying most of what someone aquirred in the game. Doing so would be a disaster for a dev house. Just because someone cancelled doesn't mean they're not coming back.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by Evolution8

I for one am really looking forward to this, have been for years, but all the negative feedback is overwhelming, even though a large part of the ES fanbase disapproves of this game, will you still play it? I honestly think even though the fanbase is a bit in denial, they will still play it, therefore this game will be a success no matter what happens, anyone else agree?

Myself, I don't think I will be playing this I will follow the game closely, but as a fan and owner of every TES game, hell no!!! Every thing about this game is screaming no to me , everything about this game is exactly the opposite of what TES really is yes it is a single player game BUT UO, SWG, DAOC, etc multiple other MMOs had features that TES had including player housing, all I see is a cheap attempt to cash in on the TES franchise with another POS WoW-TORcraft clone. People are sick of this formula, thankfully we still have other MMOs in development still that aren't sucking on the envy that is Blizzard and their 8 yr old fluke of a game.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by Distopia

in which case that is what any open world housing solutioin should have. decay maitenance.

But i suspect tht our friends at Zenimax find it too labor intensive to create plots upon plots for mmo housing.

They did house packups they had it designed were it was going to be a ongoing event where any acccount past 90 days would be flagged and active players would be able to remove the abandoned home , the house would pack up into the owners datapad if they did return to the game their house would be in their  datapad  all safe and sound just lose their spot in the open world.

Open world housing is still a good idea but they need to improve upon what SWG did with it and viable solutions from the getgo to ensure the world isnt cluttered with dead cities or abandoned homes. Im pretty sure the dev team from The Repopulation is probably going to expand upon that as welll.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by Evolution8

I for one am really looking forward to this, have been for years, but all the negative feedback is overwhelming, even though a large part of the ES fanbase disapproves of this game, will you still play it? I honestly think even though the fanbase is a bit in denial, they will still play it, therefore this game will be a success no matter what happens, anyone else agree?

I doubt I will play and elder scrolls is one of my favorite series and I dont use that term loosely.

Why? The main reason is because I can tell from the description and the screenshots that the world I will be interacting with will not keep me satisfied. Nevermind the fact that to be completely frank Darkfall as it is right now is more in tune with elders scrolls then this description is so if I do play anything i would just go back to that.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Originally posted by Teala

We know next to nothing about the game yet.  What type of combat system does it have?  Is there crafting?  What will the PvP be like?   How big is the game world.  How can anyone possibly judge a game when so very little information, other than it is being made with the Hero Engine and might be a themepark based gam.   We really do not know a lot about it.

Granted. However we do know somethings. And those things seem antithetical to ES.

This is from another article about ESO:

ZeniMax Online's Paul Sage says "it needs to be comfortable for people who are coming from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms

its combat centres around hotbars activating skills. Your attacks have cooldowns. In clear terms, that means no real-time combat. It is literally explained as using "World of Warcraft mechanics"

"keeping large areas inaccessible to save them for use as expansion content"

Only "some fraction" of the caves and other landmarks in the game are waiting completely unmarked and unexplored

You can't own a house because it's "too hard to implement in an MMO"

It even looks like just another fantasy MMO, losing much of the refined elegance of Bethesda's games in exchange for a simpler style that looks little like the past few games in the series.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by firefly2003

They did house packups they had it designed were it was going to be a ongoing event where any acccount past 90 days would be flagged and active players would be able to remove the abandoned home , the house would pack up into the owners datapad if they did return to the game their house would be in their  datapad  all safe and sound just lose their spot in the open world.

Open world housing is still a good idea but they need to improve upon what SWG did with it and viable solutions from the getgo to ensure the world isnt cluttered with dead cities or abandoned homes. Im pretty sure the dev team from The Repopulation is probably going to expand upon that as welll.

It just doesn't work.  I've seen it in a dozen or so games, and unlesss you're makign a small niche game that people are goign to dedicate their lives to, you're going to have empty lands and abandonment with open world housing.  

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Originally posted by Xzen

Based on the info we have. No I will not play it.

Agreed-from what I've read, I'm totally turned off and very disappointed!  More info is definately warrented to make a final decision.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by Paradigm68

Originally posted by Teala

We know next to nothing about the game yet.  What type of combat system does it have?  Is there crafting?  What will the PvP be like?   How big is the game world.  How can anyone possibly judge a game when so very little information, other than it is being made with the Hero Engine and might be a themepark based gam.   We really do not know a lot about it.

Granted. However we do know somethings. And those things seem antithetical to ES.

This is from another article about ESO:

ZeniMax Online's Paul Sage says "it needs to be comfortable for people who are coming from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms

its combat centres around hotbars activating skills. Your attacks have cooldowns. In clear terms, that means no real-time combat. It is literally explained as using "World of Warcraft mechanics"

"keeping large areas inaccessible to save them for use as expansion content"

Only "some fraction" of the caves and other landmarks in the game are waiting completely unmarked and unexplored

You can't own a house because it's "too hard to implement in an MMO"

It even looks like just another fantasy MMO, losing much of the refined elegance of Bethesda's games in exchange for a simpler style that looks little like the past few games in the series.

This statement scares me, Pathfinder released something similar.  I've never seen a genre do this kind of idotic design.  I never saw a press statement for Assassins creed that said "we need to do things like other action games".  Where is being innovative and different.

Someone said in another post, they ar afraid of making new games.  Why does GW2 have such fan support, like it or not, call it sandbox or themepark. They tried to do a ton of things differnt. Not just a rift here or a cross hair here, but literally triedto just make a new game.  

Where the heck is that statement.  

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by dontadow

It just doesn't work.  I've seen it in a dozen or so games, and unlesss you're makign a small niche game that people are goign to dedicate their lives to, you're going to have empty lands and abandonment with open world housing.  

and that's why they say it's "hard" to implement.

It's not that these guys are noobs to making games. They are pretty proficient.

But unless they are prepared to have decay that eliminates the owned structure and land (which is what I would have) it suddenly becomes problematic.

Not to mention all the people screaming because there aren't plots of land in their favorite places. not everyone would do this but this new generation of mmo players seems a tad bit put out if things don't go their way.

Not everyone of course but from what I've read a good many posters of more modern games kind of like things to be "fair".

Which won't happen in a game where there are limited plots of land and where what you own will vanish if you decide to take a break.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

I'll give it a whiff, if it pleases me pre-launch, if not, i'll pass it like any other MMO i've passed in the years pass, such as TERA, CO, DCUO etc

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.

Originally posted by Classicstar

Stick to there roots and it will have millions of players go themepark ala WoW/TOR style and it will fail misrable if the true Elder Scrolls fans are real fans of Elder Scroll solo games thats to be seen in near future offcorse, they will not play a cheap thempark pile of shit.

So your criteria is what constitutes real fans? This would be funny if you didn't sound dead serious.image

Originally posted by firefly2003

I'm aware and I lost half of my stuff during the process, stuff that was no longer attainable at that. The way I view it, a company is better off just making games, rather than finding ways to implement features such as this.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Originally posted by dontadow

and that's why they say it's "hard" to implement.

It's not that these guys are noobs to making games. They are pretty proficient.

But unless they are prepared to have decay that eliminates the owned structure and land (which is what I would have) it suddenly becomes problematic.

Not to mention all the people screaming because there aren't plots of land in their favorite places. not everyone would do this but this new generation of mmo players seems a tad bit put out if things don't go their way.

Not everyone of course but from what I've read a good many posters of more modern games kind of like things to be "fair".

Which won't happen in a game where there are limited plots of land and where what you own will vanish if you decide to take a break.

I think a company needs to grow a pair and make things unfair.  There are definitely ways to make housing work as you and many others have said.  I think devs are just too afraid of any complaining as well as too lazy to deal with giving players any sort of freedom.

If just one company would give people a small bit of freedom I think they would acquire a very strong loyal fanbase as there are none out there right now that give any freedom.  It may be more difficult and the devs would need thick skin, but ultimately they would be rewarded.

And to OP no I wouldn't play this game.  Give someone who is tired of WoW and it's spawn a reason to play this game. Based on the current info good luck with that.

• StormsoneStormsone Member UncommonPosts: 83

To answer the the op question it really depends on two things. One what type of fan were they,  some fans of elderscrolls ( I think a small minority) might just like the elder scrolls for its lore. Those who like the lore will be happy with the mmo probally but those who were fans because of the combat system or leveling skills system will  not play it not for long atleast.The second thing is if the game is made well overall people might play it if its really good at all the things it does do even if its not really their sytle of gameplay. I personally after reading the article and seeing the screenshots think they shot themselves in the foot and its to late to change things now sadly.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I have no intention of ever playing a Non-Bethesda made TES game. And no intention of playing a Bethesda made game of any kind that does not allow player made content.

Bethesda makes great games...if players can improve them. By the time TESO online comes out I will STILL be knee deep in Skyrim mods and more than likely still be knee deep in them when TESO goes F2P or taken offline. Its been 7 YEARS and the Oblivion mods are still coming breathing new life into it.

I will quickly remind fanboys of how Steam and Bethesda worked with the modding leaders to create a Steam based Skrim mod storefront for those that want to argue how the modding community is un-important to TES players...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

A good deal of fans who do approve or MMO's aren't too keen on the whole TESO thing, so I doubt it will bring in many fans who don't approve of MMO's.

Originally posted by jtcgs

I

I will quickly remind fanboys of how Steam and Bethesda worked with the modding leaders to create a Steam based Skrim mod storefront for those that want to argue how the modding community is un-important to TES players...

What fanbois and why would fanbois not already know that, if their fandom is of fanboi levels? No sense do you make there.  How could fanboi's exist for a game that we know the equivalent of about a paragraph's worth of information? These posts are getting rather bizarre.

How do we even know if they may or may not add user made content in their MMO at some point?