Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Every single feature of elder scrolls games removed. (article link)

Comments

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Ouch...just read the article....sounds like they are trying to "TOR-ify" TES....sorry but pass...I'm not interested in buying that crap. If you are going to make a TES MMO...do it right...don't just think you can plop down an Elder Scrolls skin on some other game and call it a day..... haven't Dev's learned already that's a recipie for fail?

It turns a profit. That's all they care about. As long as the plebes keep scooping up these pre orders, and supporting this type of business model why in the world would they bother making good games?

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Still to early to condemn this game but, if they turn ES into your typical theme park mmo it will be a disaster before its even released. I understand the need and want to make money but, create a quality product please. I'm excited to see what Bethesda can do with the mmo genre but I'm extremely scared about the final product.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I'll have to wait to see quite a bit more to form an opinion, but it's not looking very promising.  But I am surprised they aren't jumping feet first into the sandbox model.  If anything, that's a hole that needs filling.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Yeah, it's likely to be a train wreck. Oh well, that's why other games exist... so I don't have to play the ones where my favorite IPs get ruined.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by Unlight

But I am surprised they aren't jumping feet first into the sandbox model.  If anything, that's a hole that needs filling.

They wont because, and I quote from ZeniMax, - "Its Too Hard!"

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Damn...all I'd read up until now was info from players. Now from Game Informer. Wow, that's really disappointing. I mean, people have to consider the game has been "in development for years" so maybe they missed the changing trend, but even that isn't really an excuse. What's the point of attaching the name of Elder Scrolls to a game that's nothing like it? Except yanno, to pull an SWTOR and hope people will pay purely because of the IP...which evidently they will. At least, at first.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

The series has never been a true sandbox. You guys just need to wait for Pathfinder Online. Personally if all I get is Vanguard 2.0 done right then I'm happy

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Originally posted by tcosaddict

That's what the Game Informer article says.  It's pretty disappointing.  Anyone who was hoping for a game like Skyrim or Oblivion, except online with tons of other players, will be left wanting.  As far as the typical MMO goes, it might be better than most but The Elder Scrolls Online will certainly not be THE ELDER SCROLLS online. 

I'll wait to learn more before I completely write it off.  It may still be entertaining, at least for a while, but I suspect I'll have put more time into Skyrim than I do into the mmo.  The only redeeming factor that I see is that it has 3 factions that are constantly at war, like DAoC, so the endgame PvP may have some entertainment value to it.

And they sound like they are racial factions that you choose to join when you start the game and can't unjoin ever.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by monarc333

Still to early to condemn this game but, if they turn ES into your typical theme park mmo it will be a disaster before its even released. I understand the need and want to make money but, create a quality product please. I'm excited to see what Bethesda can do with the mmo genre but I'm extremely scared about the final product.

Yup. Fully seconded.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by adam_nox

Originally posted by Vyeth

To be fair, you do understand that the lore of the Elder Scrolls Series has been translated to other styles of games?

I don't know what you are trying to say, this is pretty much unintelligible.  Elder scrolls games are nothing like what it describes ESO will be.

I figured he was referring to how there have been TES spinoffs, like Battlespire and Redguard, which weren't sandboxes at all.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Leveling to level cap sounds so ridiculous in the day and age. Gogo TSW! I crimge at the thought of leveling for the sake of leveling lol. I still don't understand why gw2 has levels. 

Levels are an out dated concept that we will see come to an end after 2013. releases.

You heard it hete first. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by adam_nox
    New details have emerged, and I think I might be sick.http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/337278/20120504/elder-scrolls-online-game-details-mmorpg-announcement.htmFirst a real gem:

The game will also use a hotbar to activate skills like many classic MMOs and will vissually resemble other current online multiplayer games, including "Star Wars: The Old Republic."oh.. kay what else:

Players will not be able to transform themselves into werewolves or vampires and there will be no flying mounts, player housing, non-playable character (NPC) romance or marriage, and no dragons in the upcoming game.and:

the game will use genre standards like classes and experience point based leveling up.
    but wait it gets better:

"Elder Scrolls Online" will feature raids and heroic mode for its dungeons

Surely that's all the bad news... what... oh god make it stop:

The combat system will not play out in real time. Instead it will be based on a stamina bar, allowing the player to sprint, block, interrupt or break incapacitating effects.

There's no sadface that can properly describe this, if it's true.

Well as i am solidare to everything i like and play they lose me as LONGTERM fan is they indeed make ESO as this article says i won't play ESO.

Im no idiot that becouse its Elder Scroll and Bethesda stick with them nomatter what crap they make.

But will see if its a money grab themepark for casuals they won't get my money for sure.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by PyrateLV

But I am surprised they aren't jumping feet first into the sandbox model.  If anything, that's a hole that needs filling.

Not good to hear.

It's also discouraging how much they seem to be relying on 'standard' methods of making games, rather than coming up with their own thing.  They sound really adverse to trying anything risky or untried.  That was something that REALLY turned me off of Bioware when they announced something similar.  It sounds like they are following the same "touchstone" path.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by Hazelle

Originally posted by tcosaddict

That's what the Game Informer article says.  It's pretty disappointing.  Anyone who was hoping for a game like Skyrim or Oblivion, except online with tons of other players, will be left wanting.  As far as the typical MMO goes, it might be better than most but The Elder Scrolls Online will certainly not be THE ELDER SCROLLS online. 

I'll wait to learn more before I completely write it off.  It may still be entertaining, at least for a while, but I suspect I'll have put more time into Skyrim than I do into the mmo.  The only redeeming factor that I see is that it has 3 factions that are constantly at war, like DAoC, so the endgame PvP may have some entertainment value to it.

And they sound like they are racial factions that you choose to join when you start the game and can't unjoin ever.

If anybody knew anything about the Elder Scrolls Lore, during the earlier more unstable time periods these type of factions used to happen alot.

I just don't get the Redguard and Orcs being on the same side, nor do I get the Dunmer and Argonians on the same side either. This kinda doesn't make sense. The Redguards once kicked the crap out of the orcs so badly it sent them back to the stone ages and the Dunmer's favorite slave stock were the Argonians. I'm guessing this was done just due to the popularity of the races with each side needing a popular race that players would pick and an unpopular one as well.

Due to the time period they better put in Redguard Swordsaints (The Swordsaints were basically Jedi with psychic lightsabers, ala Rifts Cyberknights- they were the ones that led the charge against the Orcs)

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Ouch...just read the article....sounds like they are trying to "TOR-ify" TES....sorry but pass...I'm not interested in buying that crap. If you are going to make a TES MMO...do it right...don't just think you can plop down an Elder Scrolls skin on some other game and call it a day..... haven't Dev's learned already that's a recipie for fail?

It turns a profit. That's all they care about. As long as the plebes keep scooping up these pre orders, and supporting this type of business model why in the world would they bother making good games?

Generally, making a GOOD product turns a better profit.  Or at least a popular product, I should say.  Either way, in most businesses, its pretty bad business not to care if your customers will want to come back.  A lot of games are selling below expectations these days.  Maybe there's a simple reason for that.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

*sigh*

when will they learn. 

This makes me a sad panda

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I dug this up from my fileserver, an easter egg in Morrowind bashing multiplayer gameplay, presumably MMORPGs.

It seems ironic now.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Mr bully

Tsw has levels it just hides them by calling them weapon skills

Tes could take a leaf from tsws book by using the classless skill system though
  • IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

Stripping away what makes the Elder Scrolls games the Elder Scrolls games and turning a potentially amazing concept (Elder Scrolls + Other people) into yet another generic mmo seems.....to not make any sense.

This approach seems very short-sighted, bordering on denial or at the very least bad timing (and by bad i mean a decade too late). Either way, they're throwing away a real opportunity if they're committed to giving us a superfluous and redundant MMO.

Lunacy at it's finest.

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

This is the first game I have wanted to see fail. I don't say that maliciously, I just don't like developers turning a very fun and successful SP game that has a TON of fans into a generic MMO.

If you want to make an MMO that is fine but you need to be able to build the MMO model around your game, not build the game to fit the MMO model.

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265

I can't believe the developers are really that stupid. They must be going for a cashgrab sort of game like swtor.  Sell lots of boxes and subs based on teh ip but after a couple months the servers will be ghost towns and the game will be fail. I really can't believe they mentioned WoW and SWTOR as references to what this game will be like.  Just another run of the mill generic mmo with Elder Scrolls slapped on the box to make it sell.

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Not good to hear.

It's also discouraging how much they seem to be relying on 'standard' methods of making games, rather than coming up with their own thing.  They sound really adverse to trying anything risky or untried.  That was something that REALLY turned me off of Bioware when they announced something similar.  It sounds like they are following the same "touchstone" path.

I knew I read it somewhere: image

“It needs to be comfortable for people who are coming in from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms, but it also has to appeal to Skyrim players. You want to hit those touchstones, but more important than that, you’ve got to create an experience that’s unique and fun.”

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Originally posted by kingotnw

How are people surprised by this? The Final Fantasy online games are certainly nothing like the offline versions, and there are a crap-ton more Final Fantasy games than there are Elder Scroll games. World of Warcraft is nothing like the original Warcraft games... It's going to be an MMORPG, it needs to play like one.

But Final Fantasy and Warcraft games are vasty different then MMOs.

In Final fantasy you follow a very set story with lots of cutscene.  Few chances to explore other then the "hidden" chest on every dungoen level.  

Warcrafts were RTS.  Do I really need to explain why a MMORPG warcraft has to play different then an RTS one? 

But Elder scrolls games are RPGs where you use skill based leveling to explore huge worlds and fight with an actiony system where anything could join the fight at any moment.  Not mention that the stories while linear for the most part let you do them at your own pace not what the devs said.   If you want to east when the story says goes west you can,  unlike in a JRPG, but common in old MMOs.   None of this wouldn't work in an MMO (heck everygame Beth has made since morrowind has had atleast one multiplayer mod in the works)

So I ask you why are you surprised that people are annoyied that Elder Scrolls Online is doing a SWTOR where they taking game concpects that worked and throwing them out of the windows because they anrt themepark enough?

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

If you read the article, it clearly says this title has been in development since 2007. It bears to mind that they thought what Bioware was doing with TOR with it's fully voiced cutscenes and what not was gonna change the mmo genre back in that time once it released. I can't even imagine that after TOR has been ripped apart by mmo players since it's release that those in power would even remotely consider releasing this game that copies TOR's system for system and even uses the same game engine.

This really lends credit to my belief that just like TOR, these dev companies are shooting for heavy pre-order sales and first 6 month's of subs to recapture their initial investment without really wanting the game to be played for a long term. Once again another highly liked IP that could be turned into an incrediable mmorpg, that instead, will be nothing more than a SPRPG with coop features.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Enjoy Star Scrolls: The Elder Republic.

I'll pass.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-