Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do we all keep coming back?

MonorossoMonorosso Member Posts: 15

I mean really, why? There are so many options out there, a lot that are free to play or cost the same sub.What is it about WoW that just keeps dragging myself and million sof others back to it? Is it the digital form of crack or something?

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Monorosso
    I mean really, why? There are so many options out there, a lot that are free to play or cost the same sub.What is it about WoW that just keeps dragging myself and million sof others back to it? Is it the digital form of crack or something?

nostalgia

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

We're all secretly envious of herpes.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

So many options out there, all inferior. Thats why we keep coming back sooner or later. Nostalgia plays a role in it too but superiority over other mmo options is much more obvious. For me is firstly the Lore and secondly far better and smoother gameplay mechanics.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

There was no better alternative for me until I played GW2.  Good timing, as I was not the least bit interested in WoW's new expansion.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Eir_S

There was no better alternative for me until I played GW2.  Good timing, as I was not the least bit interested in WoW's new expansion.

Of course, after playing GW2 i also found my better alternative although im also interested in MoP

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Originally posted by Eir_S

Hehe, that's what a lot of people said when they first tried out SWTOR. Just don't sell your WoW account just yet :P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Who is we?

I suppose those that do return want a familiar experience, like an old friend.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

People keep going back to WoW, Really?

Personally I unsubed shortly before the burning crusade and have never felt any real interest to return, guess some people just can't move on. Hows the old saying go.. "those that do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it" seems appropriate.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Because this is the only MMO that is decent, 

For me all my friend are on WoW, Yes we try Other MMO like Rift,AOC,War. but all of those (for us) was crap.

Rift for exemple. in my friend Opinion and mine, only 2 starting area/ lame music going on loop. small castle , (animation was a big deal to us , and in  Rift.. cant stand it,

For AOC well alot of bug/lag/game not finished back then, anyway we did not stay long  on this 1,

we could not stand any MMO that come out since wow,

so we stick with this 1, lol

But right now we only play like 1 time a week for a good BG then logout,.

waitin for GW2

So this is my opinion only done come flame on me because i did not like YOUR MMO and u did,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I think its a combination of things.

Nostalgia plays Its parts, but i think Its often mistaken for the time and effort people put into the game, and they're afraid that if they quit all that time was wasted, even though it isn't.. Unless you never had fun playing the game? Thats what games are for, having fun in your spare time, no?

On top of that theres the fact that not a lot of MMO's have as much content as WoW does, not to mention the incredible following of machinima artists, the vast lore, and the polish the game has.

Regardless, I've not played since my first 85 in Cata, which was like a week into it after not having played Wotlk in several months. The game has just grown completely stale to me, to the point where even my old guildies and friends just really cant get me interested anymore, Its just more of the same.

As long as MMO's stick to close to the WoW model people will always go back to WoW, just because theres no reason to leave for a MMO thats so similar when you already invested so much time in WoW, the only reason the game could "Casually" bring me back is if it went free to play, which i highly doubt.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

We don't.  We move on and never look back, except when we see posts like this.  WoW was fun.  Not anymore.

• trikkitrikki Member Posts: 58

I´ve been wondering about this a long time.Started to play wow back in 2005,Ofc there have been breaks along the way.Now month ago,after 6 month break,i decided to buy game time.Started to level a druid,all natural.No guild,heirlooms,zero money,or buffs of any kind. i had a blast to level him to 85.Now im getting some transmog gear,has been fun.All this is going to end when diablo 3 hit the stores.Really doubt that i will buy MoP.Very idea of this expansion is PATHETIC.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Who is this "we" you speak of?

I left long ago and never returned, and never will.

• MonorossoMonorosso Member Posts: 15

When i refer to "we", i mean the constant stream of returning players, which is why the game somehow still has 10 million subs cose to 8 year after release.

I know a lot of this site are immune to being mainstream.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I get to play WoW for free and I refuse to even load it onto my HD again.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Beats me. I don't know why anyone goes back to WoW since the game is stupidly boring and easy.

It's more of a social chatroom now with a mediocre game attached. World of Facebookcraft would be a better title.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

dont count me in.... i stopped with wow a long time ago and never played again...

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

The game became to easy for me. I love to level alts and that part of the game was ruined. You level to fast with zero challenge makes for a boring and dull experience. The only challenge left is to guess how many mouse clicks does it take to get to max level. ZzZzzZZzz

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

cause you don't know any better :P

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

WoW is one of those games you can go back to and pick it up within minutes, thats one of the main appeals for returning players.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well when wow was released i played for a month.. and have never gone back..

Had a few mates who really got into it.. but it was never for me..

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292

I have cancelled for the first time. Usually even if I go play something else I would still leave my WoW account open. I can say the reason I kept coming back because while there were options out there none really had enough when in comparison. If they did their population was so low or out of balance that you felt you were alone in the world which made it pointless with it being a mmo and all.

Course this time I am actually gone since I haven't touched it in six months but I don't sit around with the silly hate folks seem to have for WoW. It's a game and it kept me longer than anything else. Can the expansion bring me back? Highly doubtful. The whole panda thing throws me completely off and the only thing appealing for me would be the monk class which isn't enough to yank me back over. Plus games that play similar to WoW now lose my interest fast like SWTOR so I think I am just needing something new.

Every time I played something similar I would say 'Why am I doing this? I have a ton of level capped characters in WoW and this game is just like it so what is the point?'

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Who say's some of us ever left?  Not that I play it 24/7 but I do hop in every now and then to get a level or 2 on an alt and to chat with some friends.  It's one of THOSE games that I keep on my PC and happily sub on and off too depending on my gaming mood.  It is one of my top 10 MMORPGs.  It shares space with Lotro, Vanguard, EQ2, Rift, AoC and now Tera, GW2 and TSW.

I could claim that I "go back" to those games as well.  I wanted to add SWTOR to the list...but, while it is still on my PC, they have yet to truly make a fantastic content update that blows me away and reels me back in. Hopefully, they will do so sometime this year.  

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Great question, darned if I can see the appeal. 

I left long ago shortly before BC left because I could see the direction WOW was heading and nothing they've done has changed my reasons for leaving and not looking back.

OK, I did look back, the promise of reworked old worlds was interesting so I did return, only to find the leveling had been accelerated so much I basically shot past many of the new areas without getting a chance to do the content. (at least while they were still worth something)

So I found myself quickly (1.5 months) where I loath to be in WOW, at the raiding endgame.... so I promptly quit never to return.

Sure, I could have rerolled an alt and followed a different progression path, but that just isn't what I wanted to do.

So I guess there's something that draws folks back, but I don't hear the siren's call.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Warcraft is for people like me.  I have very slow reaction times in most games. Any other game where it takes me being aware of my surroundings, I suck. My most standards, I am the person that you wouldn't want in your raid.

In Warcraft, I am a stud player.  I literally rock.  I don't need to be fast, aware, or particularly good, to be top dps or heals in Warcraft.  There are tons upon TONS of players in Warcraft that are even worse than I am at gaming! 

That makes me feel good, and keeps me coming back for more.