Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls: Knights of The Old Republic, or at least that's what the screenshots look like

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Jakard

Is it just me or are people making A LOT of assumptions about this game? Am I wrong? It seems like we've had very, very little information about this game at all.

http://xbigygames.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-screenshots-and-details/

We've gotten a decent bit of info to go on so far.

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

Well, reading the article, it sounds like this game will be a mixture of awful and good.  Combat sounds great, the world sounds awful.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

I mostly hope that it has something fun to compete for. Anything that makes it so that if I am the best PVPer I may be set back a few weeks from messing up one time or something other than Guildwars (for example) where a PVP title can be farmed by a bad player who simply has the time.

I want to be rewarded for player skill. It doesn't have a to be in a way other than bragging rights . .. so I am not asking for rights to grief players but more of rights for risk vs reward.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Whow ! Looking great.

If the gameplay is also great, this might actually be my next MMO.

But is there any way to read this article without killing my eyes ? The script is awfully small and I cant zoom in.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by MisterSr

(I apologize in advance for the oh so unclever title, roll eyes if you must)

http://imgur.com/a/fO9Ty#6 Really? No that is not Cyrodill, or Tamriel--or any other location in TES. Zenimax thought they could throw Elder Scrolls on there and make me toss money at my screen, nice try. I'll be throwing up something at my screen, but it will not be money--more like last nights dinner. Seriously? This game series has defined my childhood, why would Bethesda just hand over such a glorious EP to their "sister" company to ruin? I'm probably overreacting--I'm definitely overreacting, it's not like anyone is forcing me to play this game; they're not. But it's just the fact that it will exist in TES cannon forever, you can't eliminate something that Bethesda will accept as true and will most likely be carried into other games. I just pray that the graphics don't speak for the gameplay--I haven't had time to read the article yet; but I pray it's filled with more detail on gameplay and story; maybe there will be some redeeming quality in there that I missed from skimming it. Anyways folks. read it and weep--or cheer. That's just my two cents on the matter. 

Screenshots look like updated Rift engine. What is the fixation with graphics anyways? and it is too soon to judge a game just from screenshots.

Originally posted by kishe

Originally posted by Sid_Vicious

Which engine are they using?

Hero Engine.

Uhhhhh

lol

jk

I will definitely have to try this game no matter how bad it looks.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by LizardEgypt

Third person hotbar based MMORPG? So they are taking features from World of Warcraft and failing right out of the gate? Did they not see how horrible SWTOR ended up being? So they use the same engine, ditch all the features the franchise is remotely popular for, and shit out some crappy third person WoW clone with instanced heroic dungeons? No one actually likes running the same crappy content over and over again in World of Warcraft. That isn't why the game is popular. Why are developers so blind that they just steal the worst features from every popular game and expect it's going to sell. Oh yeah, because half you guys are going to preorder it anyway. LOL

Guaranteed it's launching with Dungeon Finder and all those immersion breaking conveinence features. Developers aren't even trying anymore, after reading that article there is almost nothing they can announce that's going to be redeeming. The fact that I heard the word "Classes" and "Instances" in a game refering to Elder Scrolls means this has already failed.

It's the new business model. They make their money back in pre orders and Collector's Editions, and then they consider 3 months of subs a success. After that they go F2P and milk the teet of entitlement culture.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

While I don't like the lack of housing,use of phasing and the presence of raids ,the 3 factions rvr sounds good and if they create a huge world open to exploration like tes games (with as few loading screens as possible and without artificial borders between zone games ),maybe some decent crafting and non combat activities then i am ok with it.
    FFA pvp (with loot or not ) will not happen in a successful AAA mmo.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

/em perform the jedi mind trick on myself...

/em does some mystical hand gesture...

this is not the game im looking for..

this is not the game im looking for.......

move along..

move along......

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by TGSOL

At this point I am extremely cautious of this game for one key reason.  From what I understand, it's not being made by Bethesda, it's being made by some development studio that their parent company (Zenimax) owns, and the lead (Matt Firor) previously worked at Mythic.

Sooooo....it's essentially just some studio making an MMORPG that has the Elder Scrolls IP.  Yeah...I'll believe this will be good when I see it.

There is a plus side: it might not be plagued with countless bugs, glitches, stability issues, etc.

But from a non-technical standpoint, yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

Eh, I would take an amazing game that had a bunch of bugs and crashed over a mediocre game that ran wonderfully any day of the week :).

I dunno, I think that people are getting excited over nothing with this whole ES MMO.  There's a reason that every ES game has been great, and that's because the same core team has worked on all of them.

The MMO though is a totally different team, so the "magic" behind the Elder Scrolls series simply is not there.  The IP doesn't mean anything to me at all.  To me, it's just an "MMO" made by "some unknown dev."

That's a hard thing for some people to accept. They need to realize that just because the game shares a title and likeness to a familar single player experience. It doesn't mean it will be translated well over to a MMO format. Unfortunately it's not even the original team working on this.

So between that, the game supposedly coming out in 2013 AND the use of the Hero Engine all equals up to a "NO-GO" on  this ES MMO. The game drops too soon to have any real honest hard work put into it and with the Hero Engine it just allows them to make even more shortcuts in areas as they try to rush out their product.

SWTOR showed us how it's not supposed to be done and exposed the consumer to some of the practices that these companies choose to utilize. Hopefully we the consumers haven't forgetten so easily and do a better job at our homework before just handing out money over to the next shinny..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

and the lead (Matt Firor) previously worked at Mythic.

Oh dear god no... Well there goes any hope of it being a good pvp game.

On the positive side, I now know it will be crap, and since Bethesda arn't making it, I can hope The elderscrolls VI is being made still.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Opapanax

So between that, the game supposedly coming out in 2013 AND the use of the Hero Engine all equals up to a "NO-GO" on  this ES MMO. The game drops too soon to have any real honest hard work put into it and with the Hero Engine it just allows them to make even more shortcuts in areas as they try to rush out their product.

You can't know if the game is launched too soon to have "any real honest hard work put into it" since we don't know when they started to work on it.I agree with you on sw:tor and i will probably wait and hope they have some kind of open beta for elder scrolls .I like elder scrolls games but after so many famous ip mmos which failed (at least in my opinion) ,seems wiser to wait for an open beta or lot of reviews before buying the game.

• Don-QuixoteDon-Quixote Member Posts: 87

I'll be a fanboi of this game.

No, wait, I'll better be a hater.

Or a fanboi

or a hater

arrrgghhhh... so hard to make a decision!

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by eldaris

Originally posted by Opapanax

You can't know if the game is launched too soon to have "any real honest hard work put into it" since we don't know when they started to work on it.I agree with you on sw:tor and i will probably wait and hope they have some kind of open beta for elder scrolls .I like elder scrolls games but after so many famous ip mmos which failed (at least in my opinion) ,seems wiser to wait for an open beta or lot of reviews before buying the game.

True we really don't know when they started development, but anything that comes out within 2 years of development and wants to claim to be a large / massive experience should really consider retweaking their vision or at least think twice of how they word things to consumers.

The reason I have to "suspect" on the development time being shorter than something that could be considered a serious product / or A-A-A title as I'm sure we'll be hearing ONCE AGAIN.. is that say to release within 2013 if the release date was further back here. Then that could give them more time to work on ES: Online. With it not being the creators of the IP working on the game is a major worry and with the announcement of the Hero Engine is autoamic red lights with an early release mention at the same time.

It's exactly how SWTOR came out also.. They "worked" on the game since 2005, but one of the VERY last things they took the time to consider was the actual engine for the game. Then they (SWTOR) picked a version of the Hero Engine (Developed for a game that never came out)  that wasn't even complete.

ES: Online is using an updated version of the Hero Engine, so I'm sure they have more assets to use. Things such as swimming are in the new version of Hero Engine. It's not in SWTOR's version (maybe soon? lol). They really need to take the time to learn and utilize that engine well before I can trust it or any developer that chooses to use it in their game.

I need to see it used well first.. For real..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• Cypt1Cypt1 Member UncommonPosts: 283

Eh, after reading that article, my initial doubts and concerns about this game have pretty much been confirmed. It might end up being top-notch for an MMO (e.g., just as Rift was), but this will hardly be the same as the Elder Scrolls games that we've previously played. Surprised? Nah. That's what I suspected it would be from the start. Disappointed? Yeah, I am.

I can't even begin to fathom an Elder Scrolls game without player housing or the ability to transform into a vampire. I'm sure a little innovation (something the MMO genre desperately needs) could have ensured those features would be included. Instead, the developers are conforming to the genre standards that are responsible for its overal mundanity and stagnation. Why would I leave my current MMOs for this game? That's a question I'm asking myself now, and if I'm still asking myself that once we're closer to launch, then I definitely won't be giving it a try. I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy this game, but having played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim obsessively, based on what we've seen in that article (assuming it's genuine), the discrepancies between the MMO and the previous three games are far too extensive for me personally.

I hope they change the art direction, too, while they're at it. If I had been shown those screenshots with no prior knowledge of which IP they represented, I never would have guessed it was an Elder Scrolls game. I'm not criticizing the polygon count or special effects, either--I'm talking about the stylistic elements represented in those pictures. Previous TES games--including the much older Morrowind--emanated a macabre, gritty aura that was simultaneously enchantingly captivating with its grim beauty. There are a multitude of fantasy styles to choose from, and the one depicted in those screenshots does not feel like the Elder Scrolls series I've come to know over the years.

And I'm not even touching on other elements, such as "hotbars" and defined classes. You can slap the Elder Scrolls label on this game and use the same vernacular/terminology that the other ES games employed, but that doesn't mean the end result will be remotely similar. That said, the game is still in its developmental infancy. While I won't unrealistically hope for changes that aren't gonna happen, what we see here could easily change between now and release, to a degree. If it changes for the better, I will consider playing it. As of now, I'm not holding my breath.

If I sound jaded, it's only becase I've been let down so many times due to my once optimistic naivete. I swore the Old Republic was the last MMO I'd allow to disappoint me. Given TES and KotOR are two of the series that entranced me as a teenager, to see them mutate into something entirely different once they became MMOs is a bitter pill for me to swallow.

Elder Scroll games are totally under-rated imo. So are most games listed on this site . ..

How could anyone not enjoy Skyrim? I am a critic myself but really? You cannot expect it to be as big as Daggerfall with today's graphics but even that game was sued for a bug that prevented people from completing the game. Did I ever notice? No. That game has so much more content than other games during its time that its pretty ridiculous that the company was sued over that. I mean, didn't they try writing the company and waiting for an add-on or were they just a bunch of whiny bitches like most of the nerds who play video games?

: D

That being said, they have been known in the past for making a game that was too large and so the result was many bugs. People mentioning their good reputation seem to be forgetting that. Being an MMORPG people will surely throw a fit and write post after post about how fail the game is whenever it does come out because I guarantee that it will not have the same quality that Skyrim had . .... but being able to play it online with other people does give it potential to be funner!

• tasasastasasas Member Posts: 12

How they did not make it a first-person view game is beyond me. I'm so disappointed.

Originally posted by Gorwe

Anyways, guys from Mythic are working on this. The same bonkheads that managed to ruin WARHAMMER IP. If they can and did break such a Great and invincible IP, why exactly do you think they will not break Elder Scrolls MMO?

Shame that Elder Scrolls have to endure what Star Wars and Warhammer endured. What happened to "historia est magistra vitae"? That is considered lost Knowledge now lol?

Warhammer had a lot of potential. What ruined it for me was the graphics (too cartoony and ridiculously sized weapons/armor but thats typical for Warhammer so not a let down), clunky gameplay (combat simply doesn't feel as smooth as my favorite MMOs and many spells were bugged at release for me), and finally no real risk vs reward (which should be very important in my opinion especially since the game was so PVP oriented . ...).

Warhammer would have been so much funner if the combat was smoother and not so chaotic. I would have probably played it twice as long if they simply had a risk vs reward system of some kind where I could earn something from being a better PVPer than other people. Not some title thats earned from repetitive gameplay like in GW but a real PVP title that is a pain in the ass to earn and even more difficult to keep.

This would have completely changed the endgame for me. Perhaps throwing in a looting system. Anything! It pretty much felt like it was pointless to win after a couple rounds. They could make it strictly something for bragging rights if the PVEers are too frightened.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

I'd rather call the game "The Elder Scrolls: World of Dark Guild Hammer Knights of the Camelot Republic"

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310

Originally posted by Larsa

I'd rather call the game "The Elder Scrolls: World of Dark Guild Hammer Knights of the Camelot Republic"

But how do you shorten that down to something people can say? I don't think I can pronounce WDGHKotCR.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

Originally posted by Agoden

All of us already know an Elder scrolls mmo will never ever be as good as the single player experience.

Its just impossible, we dont have the technology or ideas to make it work.

Yep, in fact I think it will damage the IP. I would love it not to be so, but I can't see it turning out any other way.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

I'm going to stay optimistic on this one. I don't think it's going to be as good as the SP games but I do think it will be fun. 

The games just been announced and people are hating it already. Kids these days sheesh!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The people making this left mythic BEFORE warhammer and ea involvement.
  • OldsaltOldsalt Member Posts: 41

I have to admit ,now I am a little worried about the game. Takes an old guy pill.

The sooner you fall behind the more time you have to catch up.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Originally posted by Larsa

But how do you shorten that down to something people can say? I don't think I can pronounce WDGHKotCR.

It's pronounced "same old". :)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.