Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls: Knights of The Old Republic, or at least that's what the screenshots look like

MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

(I apologize in advance for the oh so unclever title, roll eyes if you must)

http://imgur.com/a/fO9Ty#6 Really? No that is not Cyrodill, or Tamriel--or any other location in TES. Zenimax thought they could throw Elder Scrolls on there and make me toss money at my screen, nice try. I'll be throwing up something at my screen, but it will not be money--more like last nights dinner. Seriously? This game series has defined my childhood, why would Bethesda just hand over such a glorious EP to their "sister" company to ruin? I'm probably overreacting--I'm definitely overreacting, it's not like anyone is forcing me to play this game; they're not. But it's just the fact that it will exist in TES cannon forever, you can't eliminate something that Bethesda will accept as true and will most likely be carried into other games. I just pray that the graphics don't speak for the gameplay--I haven't had time to read the article yet; but I pray it's filled with more detail on gameplay and story; maybe there will be some redeeming quality in there that I missed from skimming it. Anyways folks. read it and weep--or cheer. That's just my two cents on the matter. 

Comments

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

All of us already know an Elder scrolls mmo will never ever be as good as the single player experience.

Its just impossible, we dont have the technology or ideas to make it work.

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

I'm not a fan of the engine either, but the fantasy setting makes it look better.

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

Finally the MMO I've been waiting for.

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

I'm sorry but what is it exactly you are complaining about?

Is it the stunning SS? The beautiful world shown in them? The very stylish characters? The font the article is printed in? Not seeing any issue here. Or are you wanting a text-only MUD?

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365

Graphic make it look like a better looking RIFT (minus rifting)... 2013 release can't come sooner (hoping no delays)..

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Graphics and armor look more like Kingdom Of Amalur.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

At this point I am extremely cautious of this game for one key reason.  From what I understand, it's not being made by Bethesda, it's being made by some development studio that their parent company (Zenimax) owns, and the lead (Matt Firor) previously worked at Mythic.

Sooooo....it's essentially just some studio making an MMORPG that has the Elder Scrolls IP.  Yeah...I'll believe this will be good when I see it.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

those pictures look nice, but look inferior to Skyrim. IF they release TES online looking like that i expect it F2P or at least B2P. Only

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

Originally posted by Creslin321

At this point I am extremely cautious of this game for one key reason.  From what I understand, it's not being made by Bethesda, it's being made by some development studio that their parent company (Zenimax) owns, and the lead (Matt Firor) previously worked at Mythic.

Sooooo....it's essentially just some studio making an MMORPG that has the Elder Scrolls IP.  Yeah...I'll believe this will be good when I see it.

There is a plus side: it might not be plagued with countless bugs, glitches, stability issues, etc.

But from a non-technical standpoint, yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by TGSOL

There is a plus side: it might not be plagued with countless bugs, glitches, stability issues, etc.

But from a non-technical standpoint, yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

Eh, I would take an amazing game that had a bunch of bugs and crashed over a mediocre game that ran wonderfully any day of the week :).

I dunno, I think that people are getting excited over nothing with this whole ES MMO.  There's a reason that every ES game has been great, and that's because the same core team has worked on all of them.

The MMO though is a totally different team, so the "magic" behind the Elder Scrolls series simply is not there.  The IP doesn't mean anything to me at all.  To me, it's just an "MMO" made by "some unknown dev."

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365

These guys started zenimax after they left mythic after it was bought by Ea...  

Most of them did DAOC, so i'm hoping this turns out good... 

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Which engine are they using? (I will probably be flamed for saying this but that would be tight if they used Darkfall's so that we could bunny-hop!).

It looks like something definitely worth checking out and just because of being part of the Elder Scrolls I imagine that it will make its money back pretty fast even if people don't like it because really . .. what PC gamer wouldn't want to try it?

I wish that they had more details on the PVP. If its not full-loot hopefully they have something else that I can get a rush about (like having thousands of infamy in Vanguard so you cannot die once or lose weeks of play but its only for bragging rights).

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333

Third person hotbar based MMORPG? So they are taking features from World of Warcraft and failing right out of the gate? Did they not see how horrible SWTOR ended up being? So they use the same engine, ditch all the features the franchise is remotely popular for, and shit out some crappy third person WoW clone with instanced heroic dungeons? No one actually likes running the same crappy content over and over again in World of Warcraft. That isn't why the game is popular. Why are developers so blind that they just steal the worst features from every popular game and expect it's going to sell. Oh yeah, because half you guys are going to preorder it anyway. LOL

Guaranteed it's launching with Dungeon Finder and all those immersion breaking conveinence features. Developers aren't even trying anymore, after reading that article there is almost nothing they can announce that's going to be redeeming. The fact that I heard the word "Classes" and "Instances" in a game refering to Elder Scrolls means this has already failed.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Originally posted by Sid_Vicious

Which engine are they using? (I will probably be flamed for saying this but that would be tight if they used Darkfall's so that we could bunny-hop!).

It looks like something definitely worth checking out and just because of being part of the Elder Scrolls I imagine that it will make its money back pretty fast even if people don't like it because really . .. what PC gamer wouldn't want to try it?

I wish that they had more details on the PVP. If its not full-loot hopefully they have something else that I can get a rush about (like having thousands of infamy in Vanguard so you cannot die once or lose weeks of play but its only for bragging rights).

Hero Engine.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Mixed feelings about this whole idea.  On the plus side, Elder Scrolls with friends and 3 factions.  On the minus side, I will reiterate the fears of others:  It's impossible to top the gameplay experience of their single player games.  The graphics, IMO, are a neutral point, because we all know MMOs with killer graphical demands end up going FTP in short order.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Originally posted by Xstatic912

These guys started zenimax after they left mythic after it was bought by Ea...  

Most of them did DAOC, so i'm hoping this turns out good... 

When did I last hear that? Let me think: ... WARHAMMER

SWToR

I sure hope they stop before they defile the greatest single player experience ever created for an RPG (in my opinion). 

Oh God, no... please no:

"Recreating the freedom Elder Scrolls players expect within the World of Warcraft-style mechanics Zenimax is using for this MMO..."

"The studio expects reaching the level cap to take 120 or so hours..."

I honestly hope a volcano erupts under their studio to vanquish the devs if this is real... of course, I'm sure it's not. Nothing could be that terrible.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    How quickly the mob can turn on you. Hehe.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by bartoni33

I'm sorry but what is it exactly you are complaining about?

Is it the stunning SS? The beautiful world shown in them? The very stylish characters? The font the article is printed in? Not seeing any issue here. Or are you wanting a text-only MUD?

Yeah lol,some people will never be pleased,it looks fab from where i'm sitting.

They are bringing back open world dungeons that have been lost to instanced dungeons in recent years,great news.

"Authentic elder scrolls experience" with no player housing, no real time combat, no fpv, no vampires/werewolves, faction locked races, skill caps...

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

The good thing is that this is not going to affect the development of the TES series as Bethesda said they have a completely different team working on the MMO.

Aside from that, what did you guys expect? An MMO which has amazing graphics like the TES series? That's never going to work in an MMO.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by kishe

"Authentic elder scrolls experience" with no player housing, no real time combat, no fpv, no vampires/werewolves, faction locked races, skill caps...

This can all be added,Kemit was not built in a day.image

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Sylvarii

Originally posted by kishe

This can all be added,Kemit was not built in a day.image

Apparently it can't lol, housing seems to be beyond Zenimax Onlines ability. They stated it would be to difficult for them lol.

Originally posted by fivoroth

The good thing is that this is not going to affect the development of the TES series as Bethesda said they have a completely different team working on the MMO.

Aside from that, what did you guys expect? An MMO which has amazing graphics like the TES series? That's never going to work in an MMO.

I would of accepted game that looked like original Morrowind if only the gameplay were like Elder Scrolls games.

Instead they are planning on game thats basically WoW in elder scrolls skin.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Is it just me or are people making A LOT of assumptions about this game? Am I wrong? It seems like we've had very, very little information about this game at all.

Originally posted by Jakard

Is it just me or are people making A LOT of assumptions about this game? Am I wrong? It seems like we've had very, very little information about this game at all.

The leaked gamesinformer article pretty much gives good idea on what ESO is and what it isnt.