Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Chat in game

2»

Comments

• Son0fZeusSon0fZeus Member Posts: 49

When I resubbed to WoW about 2 months ago I looked at the trade chat to see if people were talking about Guild Wars II as I was wondering what current players though about it but honestly there is not much talk about it. Even when i tried to spark the conversation people just ignored it ( and not for the reason of spam from gold sellers/recruiters ) I was playing in a medium populated server. 

I havent tried tera because I dont feel like spending 50$ since I dont play during the summer a lot anyways. I didnt play GW2 as I work weekends and do homework on sundays so maybe now that I finish semester this week I can finally enjoy a few hours of beta. Havent tried Diablo III either but definetly getting it the 15th...

All I can say is I havent seen much GW2/tera/Diablo II talk in WoW at least on my 2 servers that I play. Can anyone agree?? 

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Btw, not to dampen the feel-good vibe that the OP has established here, but I'm going to inject just a tiny bit of logic to the OP's premise, if you'll indulge me.  ;)

Just to play devil's advocate, could the fact that both TOR and TERA had open betas, and the fact that GW2 had a beta strictly for people who had already decided they were going to play the game and had already pre-purchased it, have anything to do with no other games being discussed in the GW2 beta while other games were occasionally discussed in TOR and TERA's betas? 

In other word, is it reasonable to assume that if you close off your beta to ONLY those fanboys already so in love with the game that they'd pre-purchase it sight unseen, you wouldn't see a lot of negative chatter about it during the beta, or have the amount of trolls that like to compare it to other games that inhabit the open betas that you see in other games?  

Just a thought.  Now, continue on with your idolotry.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Btw, not to dampen the feel-good vibe that the OP has established here, but I'm going to inject just a tiny bit of logic to the OP's premise, if you'll indulge me.  ;)

Just to play devil's advocate, could the fact that both TOR and TERA had open betas, and the fact that GW2 had a beta strictly for people who had already decided they were going to play the game and had already pre-purchased it, have anything to do with no other games being discussed in the GW2 beta while other games were occasionally discussed in TOR and TERA's betas? 

In other word, is it reasonable to assume that if you close off your beta to ONLY those fanboys already so in love with the game that they'd pre-purchase it sight unseen, you wouldn't see a lot of negative chatter about it during the beta, or have the amount of trolls that like to compare it to other games that inhabit the open betas that you see in other games?  

I'm sure it has something to do w/ it.

However, I also saw the same thing in TERA & TOR's closed beta. It's wierd, I dunno what it is about Guild Wars, but I didn't even really have this problem in the first game either (though it wasn't a true MMO). The city chats were generally focused on the game at hand, and not on other games.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Originally posted by Eladi

OMG BEST GAME EVER!! THEY DONT CHAT ABOUT OTHER GAMES!!

jeez .. fanboy much guys and gals, I mean c'mon you play a little of a NEW in BETA GAME  and having no inmidate omg my old game is better this sux lolz chat makes it stand out and good? 

I bin beta testing and playing mmo's since 1989 (technical not mmo's back then)  and things will never ever change.

people will always compare , people will always complain,people will alway think these are the most anti-social anti-team anti-solo anti-rp(g) anti-anty times ever and the next game will be the bomb , the super golden chicken that chance it all.

relax, have fun, complain in a few weeks. bussiness as usual. and remember , spent one hour a day learning about someitng you dint know to counter  the dumbing of braincells by making pointless (yet can be funny) post adn treads on pointless subjects on the interwebs.

I think you kind of stengthened the point when you claim 'People will always compre' and ''things will never change'. In over 12 years of beta testing one thing was always a constant: General chat and comparisons between other games. We've all seen it, there's no point in anyone denying it really.

It's been a staple of *every* beta test I've been in, WAR, Vanguard, SWG, Ryzom, EQ2, WoW, Rift, Swtor, AoC, Horizons, you name it, in general chat, like clockwork you could count on the fact that once or twice a day at least an argument would break out about how 'game X is better than this!' In recent years it's gotten even more out of control (usually with WoW for comparison, we've all seen that). 

Even in Tera, GW2 came up a lot and was met by either agreement, anger, or this guy named 'arrow something' spamming chat with 'gw2 kid game, kid wit no money will only play' or something equally retarded, over and over, until even other Tera defenders had to tell the guy to shut up. It was foul, the entire chat was hostile and vulgar and waiting to pounce. If you recognize this you can probably place which Beta server I was on (started with an A I think?), there were only like 3-4 EU servers anyway.

Which is why it's such an interesting phenomena that any active chat we came across in GW2 was entirely related to GW2 experiences, tips, questions, and answers. On top of that it was filled with people obviously having fun and completely unconcerned with other games or what the hell they were up to. 

So, yeah, it does stand out a bit as an interesting occurance, as anyone being honest with themselves will admit that that doesn't happen normally.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

I'm calling BS on your entire post.  I was in both SWTOR and TERA chats for beta on a few different servers for each game.  The topic of conversation was NOT GW2, it was TERA and SWTOR.  And the vast majority of it was nothing but positive for both games.  Of course you had the occasional person bringing up another game, but they were quickly shot down by people enjoying the current game they were playing.  

I think the arrogance of GW2 fans has given them selective memory.  

I did not have the experience you describe in the Tera beta.  The newbie zone Tera chat was mostly talk of Athiesm, Alienware PCs, GW2, SWTOR, Tera, and i think the one about the xbox 360 where you turn 360 degrees around and walk away.

I don't feel they really talked about GW2 any more than any other topic, in my personal experience alienware got most of the discussions.  I don't attribute it to Tera being a bad game though.  I think most of the people were having a good time, i know i was.  I was having fun and talking to trolls in general chat.

and ya, i didn't see any sorts of these shenanigans in GW2, not even in WvW where there was a lot of talking going on.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Actually, I think that the opposite would be true. Remember a lot of people pre-purchased the game without firsthand experience. If someone hated the game or had a bad time, I would expect a negative comment or two in the chat. I mean, imagine you spent $60, $80 or even $150 on the game and it turned out to be crap, wouldn't you say anything? I haven't seen any negative comments and I saw a total of 1 WoW comment where the player said that she shouldn't have purchased a year of WoW. Not that I was on for the whole of 72 hours or anything but if a lot of people hated the game, I would have seen something.

In contrast, during TERA's closed and open beta tests, I've seen numerous posts about how horrible TERA is and a few posts calling Elin players pedos. Now obviously most of them were probably trolls but it's reasonable to assume that some were legitimate fans who were disappointed.

You're also forgetting the fact that ArenaNet gave out a whole crap load of beta keys at PAX East which allowed people to play during the BWE without pre-purchasing.