Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Those that know the lore...

SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Will this game take place far enough in the past that the Dwemer ( Dwarves ) will be around?

Comments

• MollowMollow Member Posts: 66

No, the Dwemer lived during the First Era. The Elder Scrolls Online takes place in the Second Era.

The Dwemer either got banished to Oblivion or annihilated during the Battle of Red Mountain in the First Era.

However, one tribe of the Dwemer migrated to Hammerfell in exile in the beginning of the First Era. I dont know what happened to them later on.

• drebiandrebian Member Posts: 28

This takes place between the collapse of the Ayleids and the rise of Tiber Septim. Based, roughly, on a timeline I think it happens shortly after the Akaviri invasions into Tamriel.

EDIT: I know it happens after the Akaviri Invasions based on the lore behind the Ebonheart Pact. The question is exactly how long after, since they state that it happens AROUND 1000 years before Skyrim.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah its the time between elven rule and imperial rule.
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Yagrum Bagarn, who is the only Dwemer left in Tamriel at this time, should be around. Whether or not he'll be in the game in some form is anyone's guess. Would be cool though.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

Will this game take place far enough in the past that the Dwemer ( Dwarves ) will be around?

Dwemer were not dwarves they were elves.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    Originally posted by Istavaan

Many people refer to them as dwarves though.

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

That's a bit of a complexity in Elder Scrolls lore. They are elves, but they were commonly known to men as dwarves but didn't have the stereotypical aspects from mainstream fantasy.

On topic, the dwemer vanished long before the second era, so we wont see them in TESO in all likelyhood.

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

Dwemer means deep elves
    Humans messed up the translation getting deep mixed up with short. Hence dwarves.

The various elf races - dunmer, altmer, bosmer, orismer (orcs), falmer etc.. don't call them dwarves.
    Will also be interesting to see if there are any snow elves still hanging around that didn't transform into falmer. I could see them stirring up trouble and backing the aldemeri dominion, they are even more "wipe the humans from tamriel" than the high elves.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    dwemer are not short though they are of similar size to most other elven races.
  • Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

I believe the name dwarf came about because of the giants they shared the land with at that time.

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Jimmy562

I believe the name dwarf came about because of the giants they shared the land with at that time.

Ah yes, that's right.

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

Yeah Dwemer are not short. they are called deep elves because they either a) live underground or b) think a lot.

But humans mistranslated the dwe to mean short rather than deep. Which is why nords, imperials etc.. think of them as dwarves. Dunmer for instance don't as they once lived along side them.
    No the giant thing is wrong, giants are skyrim. Dwemer in the main lived in Morrowind, but also few colonies in skyrim and high rock.
  • MollowMollow Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    No the giant thing is wrong, giants are skyrim. Dwemer in the main lived in Morrowind, but also few colonies in skyrim and high rock.

Afaik, according to lore, there were giants in Vvardenfell.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Here is just about everything you want to know about them: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dwemer