Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: Elder Scrolls Online Revealed at Game Informer

Comments

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

So much for "we will never make an Elder Scrolls MMO".

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

Originally posted by eric_w66

ESO PvE MMORPG, very exciting. Lots of room to do neat things.

ESO PvP MMORPG, aka DAOC rehashed, with three invented player factions. Why three? Why not two? Oh wait, PvP doesn't work with only two according to some. Why not 4? Why not 50? Oh wait, their lead guy is a DAOC dev. Forgot he ran out of ideas long ago.

There's a perfectly valid reason (and actual real world proof) that 3 faction combat is supeior to 2 in every way, and arguments that going past 3 just fragments the player base too much.

We haven't seen a good 3 faction RVR game in a long time (GW2 not withstanding)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VeldaraVeldara Member UncommonPosts: 30

Damnit just had to be a prequel, from a storyline perspective I would have so much prefered it if it was after the events of Skyrim.  Still may check it out if the gameplay is solid.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Originally posted by Kyleran

ESO PvP MMORPG, aka DAOC rehashed, with three invented player factions. Why three? Why not two? Oh wait, PvP doesn't work with only two according to some. Why not 4? Why not 50? Oh wait, their lead guy is a DAOC dev. Forgot he ran out of ideas long ago.

There's a perfectly valid reason (and actual real world proof) that 3 faction combat is supeior to 2 in every way, and arguments that going past 3 just fragments the player base too much.

DAOC wasn't proof if that's what people are thinking. Do people forget so quickly how one realm curbstomped the other two on many servers and Mythic tried many things to get people to move to even out the population imbalances (instant high level characters if you moved, etc). No, 3 factions is no better than 2 or any other number.

I'm already aware of the "but the two lower factions would band together and fight the good fight and take it to the meanie alb's!" while conveniently not mentioning it was a group of people waiting at a bridge to sucker a soloer into a ganking situation...

Planetside's 3 faction system also fell apart, one faction would dominate one server, causing the population to distort and make it "not fun".

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Been saying it sinse they started talking about features in Skyrim. 

Skyrim is using systems that they're going to use in an mmo.  It's an offline MMO.  ESO is going to play just like skyrim.  I'll bet both of my tesicles that the game will have a dynamic quest/ and dungeon generator in it. 

They kind of gave it way when they said they wouldn't just add online mulitplayer to skyrim for the sake of adding.  Always took it as a hint that the next ES would be built around playing online.

The ES games have never been pushed as  "stories"; they're worlds to explore. 

Mortal online, with 3rd person view, an experienced development studio, and real money behind it.

I'm betting on NPC's that will geneate quests for you based on your actions as the driving force behind the questing system.  Kind of like GW2 is using the dynamic events for thier general questing and exploration. 

I peed a little

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by TwystedWiz

Originally posted by Gerrig

Talk about pointless... Fallout Online, that however would have been awesome. Elderscrolls online... The fortyeleventh fantasy MMO. Attack of the clones...

If this is done well it will replace about fortyten of them.

More like ten if that.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

DAOC wasn't proof if that's what people are thinking. Do people forget so quickly how one realm curbstomped the other two on many servers and Mythic tried many things to get people to move to even out the population imbalances (instant high level characters if you moved, etc). No, 3 factions is no better than 2 or any other number.

I'm already aware of the "but the two lower factions would band together and fight the good fight and take it to the meanie alb's!" while conveniently not mentioning it was a group of people waiting at a bridge to sucker a soloer into a ganking situation...

Planetside's 3 faction system also fell apart, one faction would dominate one server, causing the population to distort and make it "not fun".

That is DAoCs main flaw, is faction inbalance. Put a faction Cap on each faction per server, but don't make them all the same. If server A for some reason is drawing more people then server C, raise the faction caps for server A. But don't let it be 400 for faction 1, and 1k for faction 2, and 800 for faction 3, put that cap around 500. But if people start flooding to faction 1, start raising the cap, and allow all 3 faction to grow similarly. That way the population won't get to out of balance.

Me personally the only 2 sided/faction/team game i can really get into is BF3. Otherwise 2 sided fights just throw me off, it feels like a linear war. Especially WAR, that felt very linear to me. Like here is your main goal, once you achieve it, it will re-set, and go for it again. DAoC was no where near this. It was more... Lets try this today, hey that worked last night, lets do it again. Lets try this build, this set-up, lets attack this, why don't we defend that? Why don't we go ass jamb the albs? That is another thing that DAoC allowed for, was small groups to be successful. With Bards, Skalds, and Minstrels, you could 2-3 man very well if you knew how to, or with 8 people you could throw a huge siege on the verge of failing. Thats what 3 faction PvP does for me, i might not "beat" the albs all the time, but i sure as hell make them work for it.

I do agree about the imbalance though, that and cross realming, they better make it so per server you get to play only one faction. That alone might lose my money. Freaking spies, lame as heck.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

"The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

That right there squashes my hype :( 

Yep. replace "The Elder Scrolls" with "Star Wars" and it sounds just like what the arrogant, egotistical clowns at Bioware/EA said about SWTOR.

I also have no faith in anything Matt Frior (aka Mark Jacobs 2.0) says or does.

Matt Frior is not Mark Jacobs 2.0.  Show me proof that he's following in that baffoon's footsteps before you make non-sensicle statements like that.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Wolvards

That is DAoCs main flaw, is faction inbalance. Put a faction Cap on each faction per server, but don't make them all the same. If server A for some reason is drawing more people then server C, raise the faction caps for server A. But don't let it be 400 for faction 1, and 1k for faction 2, and 800 for faction 3, put that cap around 500. But if people start flooding to faction 1, start raising the cap, and allow all 3 faction to grow similarly. That way the population won't get to out of balance.

Me personally the only 2 sided/faction/team game i can really get into is BF3. Otherwise 2 sided fights just throw me off, it feels like a linear war. Especially WAR, that felt very linear to me. Like here is your main goal, once you achieve it, it will re-set, and go for it again. DAoC was no where near this. It was more... Lets try this today, hey that worked last night, lets do it again. Lets try this build, this set-up, lets attack this, why don't we defend that? Why don't we go ass jamb the albs? That is another thing that DAoC allowed for, was small groups to be successful. With Bards, Skalds, and Minstrels, you could 2-3 man very well if you knew how to, or with 8 people you could throw a huge siege on the verge of failing. Thats what 3 faction PvP does for me, i might not "beat" the albs all the time, but i sure as hell make them work for it.

I do agree about the imbalance though, that and cross realming, they better make it so per server you get to play only one faction. That alone might lose my money. Freaking spies, lame as heck.

This is a flaw of every PvP game to date, no matter how many factions they have.  You just cannot control how people decide which faction to choose or flock to when things get bad for one faction or another.  Placing arbitrary resistrictions like you are suggesting would kill the game faster than any natural population imbalance.  The best way to go is to incentivize the choice and hope for the best.

• KitaneKitane Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by fenistil

Originally posted by Kitane
    I have absolutely no interest in this game. I do however hope that the company makes this game for role players, and makes it very clear throughout development that role players are whom the game is being made for.
    Maybe then the other 90 to 95% of mmo gamers can finally have some peace, and more importantly, get some games that flush out game play elements and features before release. Instead of getting overly weighed down in development and releasing unfinished and unsatisfactory to gamers because development teams listened to the much smaller, but much more vocal, role playing crowd crying for features that only role players care about. You know, like we've seen over the last 5 or 6 years.

The what?

Features that roleplayers cared about are put into mmprpg's in last 5-6 years and non-rpg crowd is marginalized?

Crazy much?

Huge majority of mmorpg's were being made with absolutely shunning rp / rpg part in mind to make place for more casual , non-rp playing.

Raiders and PvP'ers - especially those who favour instanced arena-type PvP are the ones who were getting most love in last 6-7 years. 
    All the others - especially those who were looking for Massive , virtual-world like features were neglected.
    No idea where your post coming from.

Like Blizzard - yeah totally catering for RP players. NOT.
    Main mmorpg's devs were following Blizzard so...

Sometimes the utter lack of reading comprehension by some people is simply stunning.

I didn't say that companies catered to RPers. I said they catered to them too much in development.

They should essentially ignore them, or make the game all about them. One or the other.

Yes most of the games have tried to cater to the gamers. Rightly so. That's around 90& of the people that may come to play their game. Unfortunately in almost every single case, too many of them have made the very same mistake, and they've gotten sidetracked by the noise on their pre-release forums and gotten bogged down trying to appease the small minority of RPers that, because of their loquaciousness and viciousness, manages to bully so many others into silence. Thus making this crowd seem much larger than they really are.

RPers have consistently twisted what RPG means. In doing that, and consistently being the most vocal minority on pretty much every gaming related site, they are slowly killing the genre.

• KitaneKitane Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by Centhan
    *puts fingers on temples and concentrates real hard while thinking...*please don't be another candy-coated, fed-ex, happy meal, free-to-play, rail-following, epeen-swelling, smack-talk, insta-gratification, carrot-dangling, false-promising, money-grabbing pile of garbage we gamers have been getting the past few yearsThat is all.
    You're not a gamer. Quit trying to pass yourself off as one.

You don't want to play a game.

You want to be an avatar that exists in a virtual environment where you play act. Which is fine, but don't try and pull the wool over developers eyes and pretend that what you want is what gamers want.

RPers have consistently twisted what RPG means. In doing that, and consistently being the most vocal minority on pretty much every gaming related site, they are slowly killing the genre.

• blythegablythega Member UncommonPosts: 174

This is a great example of how you take a great franchise and ruin it i.e. turn it into a MMO game. 

My prediction: Lots of hype over the coming months up until release with a crescendo louder than that  heard from BIOwares SWTOR release. It will be immediately followed by the cacophony of moans from the army of disappointed  Elder Scroll fans wailing on the forums as they delete it from their hard drives.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    All MMORPGs are WoW clones unless proven otherwise.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Kitane

Sometimes the utter lack of reading comprehension by some people is simply stunning.

I didn't say that companies catered to RPers. I said they catered to them too much in development.

They should essentially ignore them, or make the game all about them. One or the other.

Yes most of the games have tried to cater to the gamers. Rightly so. That's around 90& of the people that may come to play their game. Unfortunately in almost every single case, too many of them have made the very same mistake, and they've gotten sidetracked by the noise on their pre-release forums and gotten bogged down trying to appease the small minority of RPers that, because of their loquaciousness and viciousness, manages to bully so many others into silence. Thus making this crowd seem much larger than they really are.

You're contradicting yourself. 

While I am not rp-er (well at least not in a sense - sitting into game tavern and making emotes) , game devs do NOT cater to them.

They do not. Post me an example of those features that were altered cause of RP crowd in pre-release forums. Seriously I want to read it.

You seem like you don't like games made in last years and just found 'sacrifical lamb' in one small groups of players that while vocal are ignored by devs.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

I'm already disappointed in this offering even now.

But beyond that, I'm already dreading the fanbois who will praise it into mediocrity, and haters who will damn it into oblivion.

EDIT: actually..I've changed my mind, haha, after reading this latest article. I had a seminar with Matt Firor a few months back, in which we talked about game design. I also tried to corner him on the question of an online Elder Scrolls, but all he did was smile.  

I think he understands the concept of player agency, of the open-ended feeling present in TES. If anybody can bring TES to the online world, it would be him.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

I can see I'm gonna end up with more toons than Walt Disney!!! All these top ideas coming out in the next few years means I'll have to retire early, shame that :P

Asbo

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

It was about time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting for years for this announcement!

Can't frikking wait

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

All MMORPGs are WoW clones unless proven otherwise.

That is imposible.

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265

Originally posted by mklinic

I figured I was past my prime when it came to getting hyped up about a new game. It's been a while since I've seen a game announced that I had anything more then a "meh, I might try it 3-6 months after release.", but this one has already appealed to my irrational side. Interesting to see how it goes, but I like the keywords they are throwing around already.

keywords like "WoW" and "SWTOR"?

• erichtimkarerichtimkar Member Posts: 2

I was really psyched about this game when the news came out but they've totally blown a great opportunity.  I think the logo says it all.  They've blown this one.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

"The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."

That right there squashes my hype :( 

Yep. replace "The Elder Scrolls" with "Star Wars" and it sounds just like what the arrogant, egotistical clowns at Bioware/EA said about SWTOR.

I also have no faith in anything Matt Frior (aka Mark Jacobs 2.0) says or does.

Matt Frior is not Mark Jacobs 2.0.  Show me proof that he's following in that baffoon's footsteps before you make non-sensicle statements like that.

Dont have "proof"...yet.

And I dont have to show you anything. I can make statements based on my own opinion as I see fit.

As far as I know, Matt Frior hasnt made much since DAOC:ToA so time will tell

However, he was Jacobs "right hand man" through most of DAOC (dont know if he had anything to do with WAR) and I didnt like much of what either did to that game.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    He left mythic before they started work on war.
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976

Originally posted by Slukjan

Originally posted by mklinic

I figured I was past my prime when it came to getting hyped up about a new game. It's been a while since I've seen a game announced that I had anything more then a "meh, I might try it 3-6 months after release.", but this one has already appealed to my irrational side. Interesting to see how it goes, but I like the keywords they are throwing around already.

keywords like "WoW" and "SWTOR"?

I was going with the more optimistic words like "player driven", "open world warfare", and "three faction".

Naturally, as with references to "wow" and "swtor", we'll eventually see if the words are anything more then lip service. Based on my enjoyment of the single-player games, I will allow myself the indulgence of being excited. :)

If things don't pan out, at least I had that moment of excitement and I can always go back and play the single-player games for my fix.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

Please don't have a shitty UI.  I avoid other Elder Scrolls games (though I love the concept of them) due to the piss-poor PC UI/user friendliness.

Sandbox, tri-faction PvP, meaningful political systems, true supply/demand economy with scarcity and item decay. Do it. No quest hub crap. Some story-driven elements are good, but let us work within the metagame and entertain ourselves through conflict and commerce.

• spadge3k00spadge3k00 Member Posts: 56

+1 to that