Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: Elder Scrolls Online Revealed at Game Informer

Comments

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Another SWTOR brewing.

Take a popular IP and a company that creates awesome single-player games.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    I go out to lunch -and this pops up?....really?
  • AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

I'm not even going to start talking about ridiculous the idea is that Molag Bal would decide to attack Tamriel all of a sudden.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I have only one question (forgive my ignorance) but who the hell is Zenimax Online Studios?

ED: nvm, Bethesda separating self from online endeavors, yas?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• barezzbarezz Member UncommonPosts: 146

FFS, all I see here is "Elder Scrolls MMo...OMG it will have PvP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Well whoopdie freaking doo folks, I have yet to see a MMO come out that has just been AWESOME because it had PvP.  It seems like no matter what form PvP takes everyone just cries about how much it sucks and could be better.  Newsflash, PvP is just one of many game systems, and is hardly the solid foundation needed for a good MMO.  i know everyone would love to put on rose colored glasses and talk about how epic PvP was in UO or whatever dinosaur of the past, but times have changed.  Hell Pong is a PvP game when it comes right down to it.

Go back over the last few years and look at the upcoming hype of MMO's released here.  I remember DCUO in particular.  Reviewers talked about how bad the UI was, limited character creation was, limited in depth the game was, but then gushed like rabid Twilight superfans about OMG Open World PvP!!!.  That just MADE the game.  Right...how's that game doing now?  Life support?  You mean OMG World PvP isn't enough to compensate for a lack of depth or awful design in a MMO?

I'm sure there are excuses though.  Waaaah Waaaah exploits, or waaaaaah waaaaah PvE to get gear, or waaaah waaaaah who the hell cares. 

I'll get excited about this game when I see solid information that it will be more than crap with a Elder Scrolls skin.  3 faction PvP sure the heck isn't going to do it. because that simply is not a foundation to build a game on.  The MMO market keeps gettimg more stagnent eaxch release, and it is because developers keep doing the same crap and catering to the same minority of players who really aren't happy with anything anyway.

• OldsaltOldsalt Member Posts: 41
    There must be plenty of forks and spoons laying around in this game so you can drop them on the ground and spell your name,and take a screen shot of it.  Been there? Done that?

The sooner you fall behind the more time you have to catch up.

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

Originally posted by Oldsalt

There must be plenty of forks and spoons laying around in this game so you can drop them on the ground and spell your name,and take a screen shot of it.  Been there? Done that?

I prefer cheese wheels.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by whisperwynd

p.s. Zenimax is an ace studio in my book since FO:NV. The writing, story and environmental immersion of that game is much better than what I saw in Bethesda studio stuff (or better than any mmorpg for that matter) in my opinion.

Didn't most people say that about BW before SWTOR?image

Where Bioware was known for their "Typical Bioware storytelling" (trademark symbol), The Elder Scrolls, Bethsoft and Zeni, are known for their good grasp of immersive, open world, single player, sandboxy games. It isn't hard to see that this fits my (and many other people's) mmorpg gloves a whole lot more.

Ehhhhhhh. I can see that being somewhat true. However BioWare was not one for sandboxy, open world games (sort of). Translating that into an MMO would be a lot simpler then taking a Bioware game and adding people. I can see ESO being a bit like Mortal online with better polish, support, and lore.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Originally posted by Icewhite

I have only one question (forgive my ignorance) but who the hell is Zenimax Online Studios?

Zenimax (the guys holding Bethesdas wallet) lured some homeless MMO devs in their basement with promise of frappucinos and locked up the door telling them they'll get out if they make a MMO that would allow them to start printing even more money.

Zenimax Online Studios doesnt really have anything to do with Bethesda other than that they get their paychecks from same address.

• KitaneKitane Member Posts: 39

I have absolutely no interest in this game. I do however hope that the company makes this game for role players, and makes it very clear throughout development that role players are whom the game is being made for.

Maybe then the other 90 to 95% of mmo gamers can finally have some peace, and more importantly, get some games that flush out game play elements and features before release. Instead of getting overly weighed down in development and releasing unfinished and unsatisfactory to gamers because development teams listened to the much smaller, but much more vocal, role playing crowd crying for features that only role players care about. You know, like we've seen over the last 5 or 6 years.

RPers have consistently twisted what RPG means. In doing that, and consistently being the most vocal minority on pretty much every gaming related site, they are slowly killing the genre.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

OMG! I've been waiting for this announcment for years now, holly crap it's coming at last!

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Dang, just when I thought I'd never be interested in a AAA release again - and then this bangs up.

Don't screw this one up please!

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Kitane

I have absolutely no interest in this game. I do however hope that the company makes this game for role players, and makes it very clear throughout development that role players are whom the game is being made for.

Maybe then the other 90 to 95% of mmo gamers can finally have some peace, and more importantly, get some games that flush out game play elements and features before release. Instead of getting overly weighed down in development and releasing unfinished and unsatisfactory to gamers because development teams listened to the much smaller, but much more vocal, role playing crowd crying for features that only role players care about. You know, like we've seen over the last 5 or 6 years.

The what?

Features that roleplayers cared about are put into mmprpg's in last 5-6 years and non-rpg crowd is marginalized?

Crazy much?

Huge majority of mmorpg's were being made with absolutely shunning rp / rpg part in mind to make place for more casual , non-rp playing.

Raiders and PvP'ers - especially those who favour instanced arena-type PvP are the ones who were getting most love in last 6-7 years. 

All the others - especially those who were looking for Massive , virtual-world like features were neglected.

No idea where your post coming from.

Like Blizzard - yeah totally catering for RP players. NOT.

Main mmorpg's devs were following Blizzard so...

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16368

Please tell me this isn't true...

Hero engine?

WHY WHY? WHY????

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

*puts fingers on temples and concentrates real hard while thinking...*

please don't be another candy-coated, fed-ex, happy meal, free-to-play, rail-following, epeen-swelling, smack-talk, insta-gratification, carrot-dangling, false-promising, money-grabbing pile of garbage we gamers have been getting the past few years

That is all.

• OvumOvum Member UncommonPosts: 103

Originally posted by Gerrig

Talk about pointless... Fallout Online, that however would have been awesome. Elderscrolls online... The fortyeleventh fantasy MMO. Attack of the clones...

hahahahahahah win of the day!

Music is the science of manipulating people trough sound.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    There's nothing wrong with the hero engine.

Swtor was instanced to hell and back, because that's how bioware wanted it to be.
  • solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

p.s. Zenimax is an ace studio in my book since FO:NV. The writing, story and environmental immersion of that game is much better than what I saw in Bethesda studio stuff (or better than any mmorpg for that matter) in my opinion.

Fallout: New Vegas was developed by Obsidian. Their writing is always solid; I find they consistently provide more depth and originality (not to mention maturity that's not in-your-face) in their games than most, even Bioware. They also tend to release their games in a somewhat unfinished state, but, eh, that's life I guess. :)

Zenimax, eh, I don't know. This can turn out to be a "Bioware Austin, NOT Bioware" deal as well... Have to wait and see.

I do like the idea of an Elder Scrolls MMO, but I don't think you can make an MMO with the immersion that Morrowind or Skyrim provides; I think that sort of immersion comes from design only single player can provide. Though it can still be very good if they work to their strengths - namely exploration and going out of their way to try and put pockets of unique experience in their games.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Centhan

*puts fingers on temples and concentrates real hard while thinking...*

please don't be another candy-coated, fed-ex, happy meal, free-to-play, rail-following, epeen-swelling, smack-talk, insta-gratification, carrot-dangling, false-promising, money-grabbing pile of garbage we gamers have been getting the past few years

That is all.

<3

Couldn't have said it better. Exactly my sentiment.

p.s. can you teach me that finger temple trick? Seems to work great.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by solarine

Fallout: New Vegas was developed by Obsidian. Their writing is always solid; I find they consistently provide more depth and originality (not to mention maturity that's not in-your-face) in their games. They also tend to release their games in a somewhat unfinished state, but, eh, that's life I guess. :)

Zenimax, eh, I don't know. This can turn out to be a "Bioware Austin, NOT Bioware" deal as well... Have to wait and see.

I do like the idea of an Elder Scrolls MMO, but I don't think you can make an MMO with the immersion that Morrowind or Skyrim provides; I think that sort of immersion comes from design only single player can provide. Though it can still be very good if they work to their strengths - namely exploration and going out of their way to try and put pockets of unique experience in their games.

Ouch, seems I mixed up Zeni (the overall holding) with Obsidian >_<

Thanks for the correction. I am real bad with names, Moonlight.

Anyway, at least hoping they will be involved.

p.s. echoing your hopes.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Can you imagine the horse mounts in this game, before you know it your horse has run into the keep, up to the ramparts and killed all the bandit archers, then runs back down and out to attack the dragon which just landed, then takes one looks at the ice spiders coming out of the woods and bolts down the mountain track before you can say, “stupid horse leave me some?" yer any mmorpg that gives me a psychotic killer horse that suffers from arachnophobia I’m up for that.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Originally posted by spaceport

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16368

Please tell me this isn't true...

Hero engine?

WHY WHY? WHY????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

i was excited about this until........hero engine.

• OvumOvum Member UncommonPosts: 103

FUS RO DAH!

Music is the science of manipulating people trough sound.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

ESO PvE MMORPG, very exciting. Lots of room to do neat things.

ESO PvP MMORPG, aka DAOC rehashed, with three invented player factions. Why three? Why not two? Oh wait, PvP doesn't work with only two according to some. Why not 4? Why not 50? Oh wait, their lead guy is a DAOC dev. Forgot he ran out of ideas long ago.