Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Battle between GW2 and TERA

OdhelmOdhelm Member Posts: 40

I just saw the rating/hype for GW2 and TERA is exactly the same, 8.76! :) Other mmo-releases this year have fade away and died just after a couple of months.. somehow do I believe that Tera will surpass this trend of mmo-failures. And if it survives.. how will it influence GW2's release in a couple of months...?

Comments

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Now that you call people attention for that, lets see where TERA goes in Rating  image

Ratings are nothing here, fanboys vote 10, haters vote 0. its simple.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Am I the only one having trouble keeping all of the "Tera vs. GW2" threads straight? Now we have another one?

At least this one seems to be about this site's hype meter rather than the games themselves.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Am I the only one having trouble keeping all of the "Tera vs. GW2" threads straight? Now we have another one?

At least this one seems to be about this site's hype meter rather than the games themselves.

Not for long I fear.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Oh? I didn't know people paid attention to the meters. I even forget those exists. I frequent the Recent forum posts and Photos and that's about it lol.
  • Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    Yeah the meters are a better indication on the number of people excited about a game, not the worth of the game itself. This site tries to keep it fair but that's only possible to a point as without checking IPs someone can create as many accounts as they have email addresses.

Hopefully people can act mature enough to let the games stand on thier own.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by Odhelm

I just saw the rating/hype for GW2 and TERA is exactly the same, 8.76! :) Other mmo-releases this year have fade away and died just after a couple of months.. somehow do I believe that Tera will surpass this trend of mmo-failures. And if it survives.. how will it influence GW2's release in a couple of months...?

Though your numbers are accurate, your post is misleading.

GW2 and Tera are in separate categories and compete against different games (not competing against each other). GW2 is competing against other games in development while Tera has to compete against games which are already released.

If my memory serves me well... GW2 was way ahead of Tera when both were in the same "development" category. The real "battle" between the two will be when GW2 is released and they compete against each other in the "released" category.

I am glad for the success that Tera is enjoying; I'm always happy when dev companies step out of the mmo comfort zone created by WOW and take a chance on us gamers by providing us with fresh and new ideas/concepts. I have a feeling though, that between Tera and GW2, GW2 will end up on top. I guess we'll see

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

It's weird how it's a battle between a released game and a game with no release date set.

It's definitely there though.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

GW2                                                  Tera

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Saxx0n

Uhm... So GW2 is happy rainbow dude and Tera is someone who's been into a fight? You could draw all kinds of conclusions here ;P

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    We will now be able to metrically assess which set of fans is the saddest.

Originally posted by Kuinn

Originally posted by Saxx0n

Uhm... So GW2 is happy rainbow dude and Tera is someone who's been into a fight? You could draw all kinds of conclusions here ;P

Such as, GW2 has got of a chance of getting a date, TERA has not.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    @Ref

LOL, so true. Thanks for the morning chuckle.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I think GW2 will be bigger than Tera when everything washes out. But I still expect Tera to be bigger than most people give it credit for. I think Tera will also put some pressure on GW2 to makes some adjustments to its combat but it remains to be seen how much change that will actually be.

I also think that the overall shift in combat style will eventually be regarded as the next generation shift for mmos. The beginning of the 3rd or 4th generation depending on how you count them. Both Tera and GW2 represent the beginning of something very new and very good in MMOs.

All die, so die well.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by VikingGamer

I think GW2 will be bigger than Tera when everything washes out. But I still expect Tera to be bigger than most people give it credit for. I think Tera will also put some pressure on GW2 to makes some adjustments to its combat but it remains to be seen how much change that will actually be.

I also think that the overall shift in combat style will eventually be regarded as the next generation shift for mmos. The beginning of the 3rd or 4th generation depending on how you count them. Both Tera and GW2 represent the beginning of something very new and very good in MMOs.

question remains, what will happen to wow's 10m+ playerbase. wow will continue to churn expansions but will soon (if not already) find itself behind the curve in mmo gaming.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

I made this post in the SWTOR forums. But since this is a comparison thread I said hey why not.

It is something I must have said at least a dozen times, and not just for SWTOR, but the P2P theme park games in general. The P2P model has been going downhill since 2005 and declining at a much rapid rate post 2009. I think from 2010 till now, there have been only 5 MMORPG released as a P2P model on top of them being theme park based.

I think in general folks are just tired of the very similar formula and tacking on maybe one major addition (or something relatively rarely used) by other games, while costing a fortune for companies to boot. In this case was the voice addition (for SWTOR). Just to give you some examples: SEGA came out with an article stating as to why they ultimately decided to go F2P instead of P2P for Phantasy Star Online 2. They actually said they took the time to look at the current trends as well as the current saturation and felt a P2P model would bar folks from committing to the game in the long run.

Even Blade & Soul (from an article I think written out by Massively) stated that for now, they have not finalized on what model they are going to use: stating that they are aware of the current situation on games such as Lineage II and Aion which have been transferred to F2P. TERA may very well follow suite considering that only a handful of servers are very well populated while the rest are lopsided. The Secret World using the amazing "lifetime subscription" screams red flag to me. I mean for those that have followed other MMO games, history has shown us that those games that offer a life sub usually end up going F2P rather rapidly for various reasons.

Even for FFXIV Yoshida even stated that he would welcome a F2P model and he is currently looking into it, probably as a backup plan if Version 2.0 fails. The list can go on and on. The only P2P game I think that may have a chance for 2013 is ArcheAge, but that game probably won't be released till 4th quarter. I know folks in other forums don't like to use Guild Wars 2 as an example, but if it succeeds as a B2P model, then that may very put the final nail in the coffin for P2P business models (or at the very least the nail prior to that).

Oh well. Some folks didn't get the memo it seems. I am surprised SEGA took the time to look at the current trends and market saturation to make that final call. I am rather surprised a Japanese company actually took the time to look into that as well as taking precaution.

• SalendrakSalendrak Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by VikingGamer

I'll agree with you there.  In terms of overal popularity and player base, GW2 will likely be much bigger.  Does that mean it is the "better" game?  Well, that entirely depends on how YOU define better.

Most likely TERA will be more of a niche crowd game that will enjoy ongoing success, but may not turn out to be the next biggest blockbuster around.  Which is perfectly fine with me, because it also happens to have all of the niche types of elements that I really like!

What really saddens me about these forums though (and unfortunately doesn't surprise me any more) is the mentality that so many people have that if they like one game more, the other game is a steaming pile of dog poo.  Can't both games be really good in their own respect?

I haven't played GW2 yet, and probably won't unless I get into a beta or they do a free trial at some point.  Right now I am completely satisfied with TERA.  If that satisfaction eventaully wanes, then yes, I will move to some of the other games on my hit-list, such as D3 or GW2.

But for now, I'm perfectly happy with TERA.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

another GW2 vs TERA post omg....

wont u ever learn there are different people in the world each of them likes different things so there will be players enough to make both games a success at least for a year...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

There shouldn't be a battle.

They are two totally different games.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Neither game has any pve end game, so PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE god bring it on. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE put either of these two games up against Rift. I will be happy to take that battle any day of the weak.

Tera hype literally started like 2 weeks ago and will quickly die down once the NA audience realizes what the Koreans did a year ago. Trust me I was there. GW2 hype is already starting to die down now that people realize it is not the next coming of jesus christ.

Originally posted by Puremallace

Neither game has any pve end game, so PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE god bring it on. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE put either of these two games up against Rift. I will be happy to take that battle any day of the weak.

Tera hype literally started like 2 weeks ago and will quickly die down once the NA audience realizes what the Koreans did a year ago. Trust me I was there. GW2 hype is already starting to die down now that people realize it is not the next coming of jesus christ.

Rift stands no chance against any of the upcoming MMORPGs. It is simply too small and traditional to do any damage whatsoever.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

I have also posted before the list of key ingredients that major companies seem to continue to overuse and churn out (especially for the P2P theme park fantasy model) and I won't be reposting that here unless someone wants to discuss it... yet again.

As far as populations are concerned here is the thing. When NHN Japan decided to do their server merge, they contacted BHS and tried to see how they can have a an optimized population per server but not go overboard (sort of keeping it similar to what BHS had). There was an article posted in 4gamer.net earlier this year that went pretty extensive into this.

The cap for both BHS and NHN is around 3000-3500. NHN decided to go with 2500 and drop the servers down to 3 (at the time the population was around 7700 in January) it is sitting now at 3500. BHS populations have also declined as well from the folks I know that have played K-TERA. Even though they are sitting at 13 servers (down from 37), they can easily cut them by half, since the majority of servers are on the light side.

So for those people saying that because it is Anime-themed does not mean that the populations will increase nor stabilize: as has been shown. For those folks saying well we need an analyst or the lottery numbers to see if whether the game will succeed or not (as a P2P business model) does not have to look any further but look at the history {Trends} in the past 13 years in the MMORPG genre: specifically the fantasy type P2P theme park.

Frogster only opened up with 6 servers, 1 of each type for EN/FR/DE. So I would not be surprised if they did not get a whole ton of preorders. Now for the NA side, things don't look so hot at the moment. Remember the last time the NA folks embraced a Korean P2P game (for the long term) was Lineage II and that came out in 2004 over here.

I remember when Aion came out they had 18 servers with the cap around 3500 I believe, and most of them were full especially the first 2 weeks into release. I will make another post to show the current differences since this one is getting rather long. I would not be surprised if the caps per servers are similar numbers as NHN and BHS currently have.

Originally posted by Alot

Rift stands no chance against any of the upcoming MMORPGs. It is simply too small and traditional to do any damage whatsoever.

I literally have a hard on waiting for the sheer reality of the fact that 5 mans as end game are a complete joke and ANYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYy competitive guild on this planet already realizes this.

Tera and GW2 are pvp games. Tera has a sub fee and pvp'rs are cheap as they come, so automatically it will fail. GW2 has no pve end game worth mentioning and WvW has no reward anyone cares about. Also pvp'rs are extremely unloyal so they will end up back in LoL anyways.

"Tera and GW2 are pvp games. Tera has a sub fee and pvp'rs are cheap as they come, so automatically it will fail. GW2 has no pve end game worth mentioning and WvW has no reward anyone cares about. Also pvp'rs are extremely unloyal so they will end up back in LoL anyways."

You generalize too much.

By the way, have you actually read the underlined part? Wow, nice fail you got there.

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230

Originally posted by Puremallace

you dont wont to put GW2 against rift..you gonna loose for so many many reasons..and btw im still playing rift but after GW2 beta i double tapped in rift..xD

Originally posted by Alot

"Tera and GW2 are pvp games. Tera has a sub fee and pvp'rs are cheap as they come, so automatically it will fail. GW2 has no pve end game worth mentioning and WvW has no reward anyone cares about. Also pvp'rs are extremely unloyal so they will end up back in LoL anyways."

You generalize too much.

By the way, have you actually read the underlined part? Wow, nice fail you got there.

Noone cares about GW2 or TERA because of the pve. Those games are pvp games to their core. If you look at the guilds playing Tera you would realize this. They are there for a fight and have never care about pve.

My only hope is that GW2/Tera put together LITERALLY gut WoW pvp servers, so maybe by some miracle we can catch up to the Koreans in competitive real action pvp.

This discussion has been closed.