Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Guild Wars 2 vs TERA

1141516171820»

Comments

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by Charlizzard

At any rate, some people will like one, some the other, some will like both. In their own way they both try and change the genre which is helpful.

thank goodness at least one person here gets it.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by Purgatus

Originally posted by corpusc

Originally posted by Purgatus

we're ALL winners when we got TWO quality MMOs coming out, at nearly the same time, that are FINALLY shaking shit up.

this is great for us ALL, and even better for the future of the MMO space.  these games are helping to break MMOs out of the Dark Ages, and into a whole new era.

its just the beginning.

I like the sentiment, but this discussion is not about "which one am I getting", it's about, "why would I like this as opposed to this". Just making sure that the merits of both games are transparent, so gamers can make informed choices.

Just saying "they're both good" does not help.

just saying      'Just saying "they're both good" does not help'     does not help either then.

the point is, WE are helped by BOTH games..... regardless of whether we;

like them both,...... DISLIKE them both,...... or any OTHER combination. 

their very existence is a BIG HELP to the MMO "genre".

While that may be true, it has no bearing on this discussion. This is for people who are interested in both, but can only get one. The idea that they both have a positive impact on MMO's DOES NOT MATTER in that context.

uhhh, can you quote me where it says that in the article?  i'm not about to thoroughly RE-read the whole thing (cuz you'd be.....not the smartest guy in the world for trying to knock my post EVEN IF THE ARTICLE DID say what you are claiming), but i do see THIS statement:

"Does one game have to win over the other, or do they each have unique strengths, both in gameplay and business model that a player might enjoy both? Let’s dive in!"

......which directly contradicts what you are claiming is the "context" here.  

what REALLY is your point here?  do you hate one of these games and hate to see somebody that appreciates its existence?  does that offend you?  really why did you respond to such a positive post with this pointless negativity?

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by Sythion

the point is, WE are helped by BOTH games..... regardless of whether we;

like them both,...... DISLIKE them both,...... or any OTHER combination. 

their very existence is a BIG HELP to the MMO "genre".

Disagree. Nearly every MMO since 2005 has basically been "Copy WoW's details, implement them less skillfully, and add the new gameplay feature x, and the new option y."

TERA: copy WoW's details, implement them horrendously (the worst questing out of any game I've ever played, including Eastern FTP games), adding real time action combat and the option to engage in an end game political system.

This does not help the MMO genre. If you're going to change base gameplay, change the entire F*ing gameplay details from the ground up to make the experience cohesive. I applaud ArenaNet for being the only ones who seem to have realized this.

what?!

what kinda aborted half-thought hate post is this?

there's literally hundreds of EQ clones (including WoW) out there, and one of the most significantly different MMOs to have come out in 15 years, you are calling a clone, while in the same breath mentioning how %90 of the game (the combat & political system) is nothing like WoW..... and yet its not different ENOUGH?

EVEN IF it was only %10 different, thats much better than the status quo AND EVEN %5 DIFFERENCE HELPS THE GENRE, when there is basically NO difference in the vast majority of EQ clones out there (including WoW).

if you're not gonna make an entirely new MMO, then just %100 copy WoW instead?

jeez  are you REALLY saying that?  lol   now THAT would really be moving the genre forward!  hahahah

oh i see now, gushing praise for Arenanet ("the only ones") there at the end.   so you're the typical hyperbole spouting, one (unreleased) game to rule them all, "GW2 rules, Tera drools", forum trolling, religious war kind of guy.   GOTCHA

but really, put alot more effort into your crusade, cuz you are really just letting down your "home team" spewing this kind of  illogic.

Corpus Callosum    

• Tera's pvp is just refined darkfall with less customization
  • skeletore1skeletore1 Member Posts: 1

The guy named Bubas74 is crazy! For one, "Tab Target" in any form has been way over used in all mmos and it ruins the experience. If we already know that type of targeting system is bad and then you say as I quote, "A tab target person never kills anything", then I have to wonder why Guild Wars 2 would have tab target in any form in their game?! The other thing I don't like is that apparently to the article and everyone's posts your class is more like Rift except that you have to get a different weapon to change it out. Rift really ruined it as there were no true tanks or true healers. Every class should be unique with it's own specialized skill set. I have no problem with customization in classes such as Everquest's alternate advancement points, but even those don't really change how your class is played it just makes your class more powerful.

The idea of getting multiple weapons of different types to change out a class to something different seems ridiculous to me.  When you finally get all the different weapons do you have to upgrade all of them with level? If so then that sounds pretty tedious. The other point I might make is if they allow class changing like they did in Rift then it becomes too overwhelming and people tend to loose focus on honing in a particular play style. Bottom line is A Healer should be a healer and play like a healer and a Tank should be like a tank and play like a tank.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by skeletore1

Bottom line is A Healer should be a healer and play like a healer and a Tank should be like a tank and play like a tank.

Bottom line is you don't understand GW2.

• MMO_REVIEWERMMO_REVIEWER Member Posts: 371
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by skeletore1

Bottom line is A Healer should be a healer and play like a healer and a Tank should be like a tank and play like a tank.

Bottom line is you don't understand GW2.

Bottom line is at the bottom...Once you reach it a new bottom line will be generated.

MMO's are the ark of the gaming world. Let it take us in new directions.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

there is no LF Tank LF Healer standing around in a Lobby game when it's supposed to be an MMO trying to out do someone else's dps with addons and macros in GW2. If that's what you think GW2 is then you are definitely missing out.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by itgrowls

there is no LF Tank LF Healer standing around in a Lobby game when it's supposed to be an MMO trying to out do someone else's dps with addons and macros in GW2. If that's what you think GW2 is then you are definitely missing out.

And there will undoubtedly be some people who miss out, though it's not their fault.  Over the years  MMORPGs have become just that, a DPS race, where you might have had to remember a mechanic and switch stances or positions once every couple of minutes while you did your rotation, and otherwise not really pay attention to movement and the actual fight going on.  GW2 (and even Tera I think) changes that and there are a group of people who, due to the ease of past MMOs, aren't going to like DPS numbers not being the central focus of the game.  It was cool to see how much damage I was doing, but I'm over it.

• MMO_REVIEWERMMO_REVIEWER Member Posts: 371
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by itgrowls

And there will undoubtedly be some people who miss out, though it's not their fault.  Over the years  MMORPGs have become just that, a DPS race, where you might have had to remember a mechanic and switch stances or positions once every couple of minutes while you did your rotation, and otherwise not really pay attention to movement and the actual fight going on.  GW2 (and even Tera I think) changes that and there are a group of people who, due to the ease of past MMOs, aren't going to like DPS numbers not being the central focus of the game.  It was cool to see how much damage I was doing, but I'm over it.

I, personally, was over this many years ago. After playing Aion for a good portion of its life I came to the conclusion that gear centric games are just not for me. "You can't join our party because you dont have x set of gear and y set of weapons..and nothing you have is +15" That got very old very fast. Or the guys who are absolutely unkillable because their gear is ridiculous. Lets not forget the hax :P. Haha jk. If having bad gear makes someone a noob then I don't any part of that experience. I'd rather be called a noob for not being skilled with my class, than for not having the time and patience to get the Greatsword of Superior Ass-kicking

MMO's are the ark of the gaming world. Let it take us in new directions.

• R.BrownR.Brown Member Posts: 1

As an MMO-gamer since 11 years and a worker in the gaming industry, I just want to give you guys a suggestion. A thing that I have learned from my long experience. Simply, there is no point in being a fanboy to a game, I respect your opinion liking a game for sure, but shouting everytime a new, great, game comes out can´t really change something. Times change and so do the MMO-industry, great games appear and disappear and there is no point in loving a game hating all others. It is here where u should do something. It is here where should try everything and jsut pick the things u like. If new things come out later, you can also pick them. U don´t need to be stuck with a game forever just to show the world that you are a '' great fanboy ''.

Now to the next point and it is GW2 vs Tera. Well, we are talking here about two of the most intersting games in the MMO-industry nowadays. Tera and its fantastic combat and GW2 which is aiming for a revolution in the genre. I have played both and my opinion is pretty simple. Tera is a great game with fantastic graphics and the best combat out there. It is not a grindfest as many have said before but a great game with the original MMO-style, some exclusive content to it and as mentioned before great graphics/combat. However the devs have done these things well and forgot everything else. Tera is new in combat but old and original in everything else. The questing is no different from all other games and can´t be compared to WoW or Rift´s because of its '' Kill 20 of these '', '' Collect 10 of that '' and so on. Some ppl say, this is not grindfest and I agree. However this is called by the MMO-industry as gridning. U simply grind killing '' different '' monsters. Now, don´t get me wrong, Tera is great and give u a really great feeling which means great gameplay however I can´t really call it the best. It depens on what u '' like ''! However when rated by me, as a worker in the gaming industry and by many other '' reviewing site '', with long experience in the genre since early 2000, the game will get 5-7 rating because of the lack in other content. The combat is great but, well, it is still combat nd you will get bored sooner or later. This is the reality. Tera has focused on combat, only and that´s why it didn´t turn to be the '' best '' out there.

As already monetioned by some before, GW2 have enough combat to keep you happy, and they have rememberd the most other points. GW2 is in the right position to be the new MMO-game that will be change the rules of this genre, like WoW did years ago. However ANet made many risks, so, some mistakes may drstroey everything. We can just wait and see what will happen. Whatever happens, I think GW2 will be the most popular in the coming months, however it is not another WoW, so 2-7 months will be a great experience, afterwards, it will need an expansion to keep the players. ANet have already said it, we make it great to keep you playing, we don´t fill the game with content. Which means that the game will be great, however after months, u will get back just because it is '' great '' and not because there is much content which means that the game will be a '' 2nd-time game '' in the future, without new expansions.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by rainorxx
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Mannish

TERA is just he overall better game. It beat out Guild Wars 2 in every aspect other then questing which is just not enough to make Guild Wars 2 better. Its not that TERA uses the same old questing method that hurts it but rather the quest them selves could have been better. Dynamic Events are nonthing new to the genre at all and this is the only thing Guild Wars 2 has going for it. TERA totally destroys Guild Wars 2 in Combat, Graphics, PVP, Mob AI and group mechanics.  Instanced Zones and instanced pvp as a side mechanic are steps backward not foward. I watched streams of group combat in Guild Wars 2 and everbody is just standing still spamming skills. From one beta weekend people are already saying they did the same event 4-5 times. Thats just 1 weekend of playing the game so how is this going to be when the game releases and people are playing everday? People have already seen everything Guild Wars 2 has to offer already in just 1 weekend. TERA fans are still waiting to see things like the much anticipated Political System, Guild Housing and Dynamic Events which are also comming.  

Not saying Guild Wars 2 is a bad game but just because I get a quest from walking into the area instead of having to talk to somebody just does not make the game better. This has already been done before in games like Rift and Warhammer.

Ok I play both games. You need to do more homework before posting things.

Me too, I play both and I agree with Mannish, TERA is better in every aspect than GW2. Maybe YOU need to do more homework.

When MMO's start shrinking they might gurgle and sputter for some time, but their fate is already sealed.  But who knows, maybe Tera secretly has millions of players on the all new 3 super servers.  Kind of like how EA still insists they have a million players even though the game is dead.

But don't let me stop you, go on and on about how great Tera is :-)   Everyone who wanted to play it already did so, and most quit, just like with SWTOR.  It's not that there was anything wrong with Tera, it just stunk.

edit: deleted

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.