Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Guild Wars 2 vs TERA

Comments

• Kingpin827Kingpin827 Member Posts: 1

i played tera .. very breifly i played gw2 up to level 10 and then pvped. I had more fun playing gw2

With tera after playing vindictus Dragon nest Fez and a ton of other games it didnt feel like anything new or special been theree done that 

with gw2  i was for a lack of better words lost.. in a good way I had to learn and adapt to situations i had to go find things to do i was free 

i havent played another game since gw2 BWE1 

Ontop of that i cant buy tera .. blue hole studio stole the game and got caught and sued for stealing the game i just cant see myself giving the company money because its very foundation is that of a greedy theif thats my tipping point ... the owner of the company is a greedy theif if he stole froma   company with a legal team to create a game he'll be just as grimey with his player base.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

When i read this i kept on feeling this was already prde decided before having tried both games and shows that it does not come from real expierience of both games only.

I could be wrong but that is how i read it, it is not because i like Tera more infact i prefer gw2 myself right now.  Tera on the other hand does many amazing things with the game not mentioned here.

• AstelarAstelar Member UncommonPosts: 6

Just mark me as "trolling" for an opinion. :(

I think Guild wars 2 is much better than Tera. END

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,809

Originally posted by Dawnbr3aker
    are you kidding me!?! Gw2 is a pve game?? its more like a PVP game with pve attached to it. LOL. GW has always been pvp base. MAN!
    If GW2 is such a PvP focused MMO then why is its PvP instanced only?

A PvP focused MMO would have at least some form of world PvP.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Xiaoki

are you kidding me!?! Gw2 is a pve game?? its more like a PVP game with pve attached to it. LOL. GW has always been pvp base. MAN!

some form of...

nevermind.

*sigh*

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

GW2 should be trophied with the best first impression in an online game ever.

But on the long run the game just doesn't have longetivity and that's where Tera comes ahead.

Tera has really bad first impressions and you haven't seen anything before hitting 20-> after which it start getting better and better.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by BadSpock

Originally posted by Xiaoki

some form of...

nevermind.

*sigh*

LOL GW2 WvWvW is a type of pvp that is so much better than what u call pvp focused MMO that only have a pvp server and thats it 

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

But on the long run the game just doesn't have longetivity and that's where Tera comes ahead.

Tera has really bad first impressions and you haven't seen anything before hitting 20-> after which it start getting better and better.

I'm level 30 in Tera, I don't see myself playing this game for much longer... I want my money back :(

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I don't think we're seeing a lot of Tera bashing, because there was never that much player-driven hype behind it.  Not that many disappointed people, just a niche that seems to be enjoying, it for the most part..  but come on.  People compare it to Aion, and yet in its first month, it's only doing marginally better than Aion's doing, years after launching.

Personally, I just found it really dull.  Almost as bad as Perfect World and the like, except with AAA graphics and a huge but just as shallow gameworld.

Bought it on a whim, but consider it a waste of money.  At lv.27, just can't bring myself to log in, anymore.  

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by xposeidon

I'm level 30 in Tera, I don't see myself playing this game for much longer... I want my money back :(

yes please stop playing. So we dont have to read another whine thread  :)   We have had the unfortunate pleasure of chronicling your journey in Tera one complain thread after another on MMORPG.com. You bought a game you ALREADY did not like and bashed it on many threads. What did you expect?

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I feel that this point in time this video is relevant to the discussion. Actually it could explain the internet in general in 16 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9EhvDAMjWc

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

What would you know of GW2's logenvity when the highest content anyone has ever played is level 30? Besides, WvWvW offers much more longevity than... wait, what endgame does TERA has? 10v10 PvP and zerg guilds voting for their leaders?

• kcypher2000kcypher2000 Member Posts: 116

Article seems biased, I don't see why they dragged SWTOR into this, oh yeah because its cool to hate on the game without support but if you dislike SWTOR you are going to dislike these games too because its more of the same.  They all follow the same formula and if you think the PQ style of GW2 is really different then you are just fooling yourself.  At the end of the day you are still grinding quests to get to max level.

Oh and the story of GW2 cannot compare to SWTOR, its not even in the same league.  Best reason to get GW2 is that it has no sub so you can play it whenever you like. 

• supbrosupbro Member Posts: 327

I mean Tera failed in it's own home country Korea, because of endgame content issues. I dont see it doing that well to a western audience. The game others nothing different than your existing standard MMO's.

While Gw2 endgame starts at level 1. REAL dynamic events, that change the world. Mass balanced PvP. GW2 is a evolution of the MMO genre while Tera adds nothing to warrant me spending money on it.

GW2 the future of MMO gaming

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by kcypher2000

Article seems biased, I don't see why they dragged SWTOR into this, oh yeah because its cool to hate on the game without support but if you dislike SWTOR you are going to dislike these games too because its more of the same.  They all follow the same formula and if you think the PQ style of GW2 is really different then you are just fooling yourself.  At the end of the day you are still grinding quests to get to max level.

Oh and the story of GW2 cannot compare to SWTOR, its not even in the same league.  Best reason to get GW2 is that it has no sub so you can play it whenever you like. 

And it doesn't FEEL like you're grinding quests.  Whatever you might think about the GW2 quest system, it doesn't  FEEL  like more of the same old same old.  And that goes a long way to convincing you that it's "different."  Perhaps you just haven't played it, perhaps you just don't agree and HAVE played it, but I think most people who played in the BWE and various press betas and whatnot, would agree with my statement that it just FEELS different.  Sometimes that's all you need.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,809

Originally posted by supbro
    I mean Tera failed in it's own home country Korea, because of endgame content issues. I dont see it doing that well to a western audience. The game others nothing different than your existing standard MMO's.
    While Gw2 endgame starts at level 1. REAL dynamic events, that change the world. Mass balanced PvP. GW2 is a evolution of the MMO genre while Tera adds nothing to warrant me spending money on it.

Hyperbole thine name is supbro.

I played GW2 up to level 20 and endgame definitely does NOT start at level 1 and the dynamic events definitely do NOT change the world.

• MutamiMutami Member UncommonPosts: 20

OK, so there is enough hate flying around so I'll do my best to stay positive here.  I've played both games,  got to 25 on Tera and 18 on GW2.  

Tera is great for their action combat I like it a lot.  I have never taken as many screen shots in an MMO then I did while playing Tera.  I like the political system they are setting up even though I wasn't able to experience it, I like the concept if done right.  But thats it.  That is all I have to say for Tera.  It is a really good "cookie-cutter" MMORPG who wanted to play it safe minus the cross hairs.  Personally I am sick and tired of exclimation and question marks.  

If you like the way MMORPGs have done things and just need a new skin then pick up Tera.  It really is good for that.  Honestly, I swear I am not being sarcastic or anything.  Tera really is a good MMORPG, if you like the way things are done.  

Guild Wars 2 rebuild an MMORPG from ground up.  Yeah, its questing and killing and collecting stuff.  But there is more than that.  There are dynamic events, protecting towns, protecting children, getting in snowball fights and end game content at level one.  

Now to make some points on some arguments that stuck out to me:

"Pretty much 80% if not more of my time in both games thus far has been spent in combat."  This is very true but 95% of that combat is done doing a quest, unless your in PvP.   Questing is vital.  It is the basis of PvE.  

Another point that stood out to me was that people think that Tera is going to out last GW2.   I believe there are a couple of things that contribute to a games longevity.  Community, quality, and Support.  Guild Wars is already a huge community most of which will transfer over to the new game.  Guild Wars 2 has an advantage in that regard.  I personally think that there quality and support are close to equal so far.  Although, I'm not sure if Tera has an official forum or not.

I think they longevity potential are close to equal.  So the game that would win that is the game that will attrached the most players.  And personally, I got to go with GW2, just because there is little they played it safe on.  They are both good games and they both deserve attention.   But Guild Wars 2 will be more interesting to play because of the fresh ideas.   Tera didn't do one thing that hasn't been done before.   

And a side note.  I like these threads.  Once you shift through the trolls it stands for a good discussion.  I enjoy it. 

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

WHAT TO CHOOSE?????!!!!!!

• Rocky966Rocky966 Member Posts: 1

If you are Tera fan you dont have to compare games like Tera and Gw2. The same is with Gw2 fans. Dont compare this games... Enjoy that Tera is released and Gw2 not. And wait for the release by Gw2 to compare it. It was just I beta weekend. Not enough to compare it with a released game like tera. For my part i dont give this post more attention. Its not really a threat for Gw2. All i saw in this days of betaweekend was new for me. Arena.net has done a well job. The things i read in your article are to partial. Please please... dont write ... vs ... article anymore and dont waste your time with decry games you played for a short time... if you played them.. Enjoy Gw2. I'll stay it.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I think when Bill starts going on about how he hasn't had that feeling for seven years (seven years ago is 2005 so guess which feeling he is going on about), then you have to question how objective he really is about games. I am playing GW2 as a secondary game, but I can see it has flaws and for example for people looking for end-game raiding in an mmo they will probably head to other games.

GW2 vs Terra....

In the west GW2 will be far the more popular game. But in the Korean PC bang time card gaming culture Terra will find its niche.

• SoDeadSoDead Member UncommonPosts: 4

if u like grinding Tera is for you, I played both of Tera and GW2 in beta and i can say that GW2 is a winner ........ 

• vexxredvexxred Member Posts: 1

i cannot believe the mis informed people on this thread... its absolutely unreal. I havent played GW2 so i'm NOT going to comment on it and tell you why Tera is better. 

but i am playing Tera right now and really enjoying it. GW2 is not even released yet. who really knows if its going to be good or bad. I remember when aion was in beta and everyone ranted and raved in the wow forums that it was the next big thing and that wow was done... eh... This article is a sham since you cant judge GW2 since its not even released yet. I really hope GW2 is better then tera, cause i really like tera, and anything better is BETTER, and better for the over saturated mmo market. 

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by SoDead

if u like grinding Tera is for you, I played both of Tera and GW2 in beta and i can say that GW2 is a winner ........ 

I played both too and i am playing TERA right now...

but to me GW2 is better and much more fun to play...

again this is just me.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

How can one even begin to compare those games is beyond my understanding of human laws...

TERA is nothing more than a flashy-bouncing-boobs grind xtravaganza, played at same old style that those winged dolls at AION brought to us at that bad bad launch, wich prove to be too much for western gamers. The only difference is that TERA has no winged dolls, it has dubious background and lack of imagination.

Even AION is best suited for EU and US gamers now, and i dont like AION that much.

TERA looks even more ridiculous given the fact that the characters one can create there are best suited for children if one can overlook the fact that the female human alike dolls are almost naked, wich taking in account the hard work designers put into making breasts swing along questign, doesnt say much of the kind of game this is.

Comparing GW2 to TERA is the same than comparing Adele to Justin Bieber, one is a great singer and the other one just makes me laugh.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by 7rouble

OK, so there is enough hate flying around so I'll do my best to stay positive here.  I've played both games,  got to 25 on Tera and 18 on GW2.  

Tera is great for their action combat I like it a lot.  I have never taken as many screen shots in an MMO then I did while playing Tera.  I like the political system they are setting up even though I wasn't able to experience it, I like the concept if done right.  But thats it.  That is all I have to say for Tera.  It is a really good "cookie-cutter" MMORPG who wanted to play it safe minus the cross hairs.  Personally I am sick and tired of exclimation and question marks.  

If you like the way MMORPGs have done things and just need a new skin then pick up Tera.  It really is good for that.  Honestly, I swear I am not being sarcastic or anything.  Tera really is a good MMORPG, if you like the way things are done.  

Guild Wars 2 rebuild an MMORPG from ground up.  Yeah, its questing and killing and collecting stuff.  But there is more than that.  There are dynamic events, protecting towns, protecting children, getting in snowball fights and end game content at level one.  

Now to make some points on some arguments that stuck out to me:

"Pretty much 80% if not more of my time in both games thus far has been spent in combat."  This is very true but 95% of that combat is done doing a quest, unless your in PvP.   Questing is vital.  It is the basis of PvE.  

Another point that stood out to me was that people think that Tera is going to out last GW2.   I believe there are a couple of things that contribute to a games longevity.  Community, quality, and Support.  Guild Wars is already a huge community most of which will transfer over to the new game.  Guild Wars 2 has an advantage in that regard.  I personally think that there quality and support are close to equal so far.  Although, I'm not sure if Tera has an official forum or not.

I think they longevity potential are close to equal.  So the game that would win that is the game that will attrached the most players.  And personally, I got to go with GW2, just because there is little they played it safe on.  They are both good games and they both deserve attention.   But Guild Wars 2 will be more interesting to play because of the fresh ideas.   Tera didn't do one thing that hasn't been done before.   

And a side note.  I like these threads.  Once you shift through the trolls it stands for a good discussion.  I enjoy it. 

Very nice post. You didn't trash either game and you were able to highlite the good points of each pretty much. This is what the mmorpg community should be about. MMORPG UNITE, don't Fight! :)

Thank you. I am of course waiting for the next GW2 BWE, but am waiting for my copy of Tera in the mail. I am looking forward to it very much.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.