Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Guild Wars 2 vs TERA

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Oh, I grouped a lot in Rift's dynamic events as well, but I woudn't call that grouping, nor I would call my group mates necessary. Just some people who happened to be at the spot at the time, working on the same task, easily pickable but also easily forgettable. It was the exact same thing in Warhammer and it's the problem with dynamic events and people not really needing each other. Yes, trinity is restrictive in a sense, but it gives purpose to grouping, a role. What was the role you took in the last dynamic event that made you indispensable to the team you joined? That's my worry.

Also my previous post had more to do with issues with Tera grouping than what issues or advantages GW2 may end up having.

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

it is simple, GW2 fans won't say anything good about Tera, to them even the combat of GW2 is much better. Tera fans will say nothing good about GW2 either. This article just fuels the flame wars more. I play Tera atm and i played a bit of the GW2 this beta weekend. Like Luke i felt the same about GW2 that it was a bit underwhelming, probally because i got used to the Tera combat and didn't got to play GW2 as much as i had liked cause of other activities i had to do.

The thing remains none of the two games is better as the other. I know both sides will do their best to convince the other theirs is much better. It is a mather of taste, if you want a game where your focus is more on the quests and exploring the world GW2 is your game. Do you want a more pvp oriented game with a great combat system Tera is your game. I know many GW2 people say the Tera combat is boring, but i doubt they even tried it without a baised opinion to begin with. Cause to be honest, the GW2 combat isn't that special either, it just depends what you look for. Yeah Tera might be a grind, but what is the difference people? I have to kill 10 mobs cause a NPC tells me too, or i have to kill 10 mobs cause some dynamic event tells me to so i can hand in afterwards, quests are quests, no mather how you present it they are the same, you do the same damn thing, killing a x amount of mobs.

I like both games, both offer things that i want. GW2 has siege battles and WvWvW and i loved castle sieges in Warhammer so im glad to see it return in GW2. Tera for me personally has a better combat system and i don't find the grinding that bad cause i get to beat mobs around, and i play on a pvp server so there is plenty of combat to be found with guilds waging wars with each other and such. Tera cost me a monthly fee, and GW2 will be Buy to play free to play...so i can play both games and i shall play both games.

But please people of both sides, stop hating and start minding your own damn business. You aren't gonna convince the other party your game is better, you are talking to a brick wall. Both games have great things, and both games have minor things. Both games haven't done anything new, yet both games have evolved on things, worked them out better. Sorry for the GW2 people but in the old days many things GW2 offers was normal, including the class progression. Tera's diplomacy has been done before as well. Yet both games have put new life into it and improved on it. Both great games so stop bitching.

• XodrocXodroc Member Posts: 5

Tera had my interest at first, but having played a true FPS style mmorpg, Darkfall, I found Tera's combat underwhelming.  It feels more like pseudo FPS controls, a hybrid target system.  

Since combat is really the only thing Tera has to offer, I see no incentive to choose it over Darkfall despite it's low population.  I went into GW2 with low expectations for combat and pve, pvp, wvw and ended up finding it refreshing despite it's casual nature.

Blah

• NightvergeNightverge Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by Xasapis

Oh, I grouped a lot in Rift's dynamic events as well, but I woudn't call that grouping, nor I would call my group mates necessary. Just some people who happened to be at the spot at the time, working on the same task, easily pickable but also easily forgettable. It was the exact same thing in Warhammer and it's the problem with dynamic events and people not really needing each other. Yes, trinity is restrictive in a sense, but it gives purpose to grouping, a role. What was the role you took in the last dynamic event that made you indispensable to the team you joined? That's my worry.

Also my previous post had more to do with issues with Tera grouping than what issues or advantages GW2 may end up having.

I understand your view and here is my counter.

Are you really "grouping" or coordinating if a group knows its rolls and does the exact same thing every time? In WoW in the dungeon finder I would "group" sure. I'd hardly interract with them. It was as if we were in seperate rooms. I was doing my job. The tank was doing his. Dps theirs.

What makes me indespensable as a party member is the same thing that makes a buddy indespensable on the battlefield. He's another gun. He can be whatever you need him to be on the field. That is where GW2 shines. As a thief I got placed into multiple different rolls depending on the situation. Every class gets shifted around depending on what it is necessary for them to be. Sometimes a guardian will be a shield while me and our other group mates revive. In that case he is a shield and we are rezers. Other time's he is a damager holding the line. In that case he is more of a fence. Other times he is support.

Nobody is locked into a roll so we do actually have to be a group and coordinate. I could go into almost every raid under the trinity system and be a perfect healer. Heal the tank, move out of AoE's. Done.

Again this story is more solid when discussing the dungeons in the game which are, as I said, nie impossible unless you are absolutely coordinated and every member is completely indespensable.

That and the classes themselves provide different facets to a group.

what you bring to a group also depends on what skills you've chosen and what weapons you bring into combat. Every person is useful and brings something different that is indespensable to a group.

As a dual dagger thief who chose utility skills based on maximizing my dodge and trapping oponents I brought damage, mobility, and excelled at making our enemies vulnurable. Certainly they could have made it work with someone else. But I brought something to the group that was unique. Virtually all healers bring the same utility to a group.

My importance to a group is unique and can't be found elsewear unless someone copied my build and playstyle and glyphs.

During my tme with the dungeon we mixed our builds together to come up with extremely unique ways to work with the benefits each of us brought.

The guardian focused on damage so we used him as a dodging cannon. He didn't have as much mobility but his shields allowed him to take more damage before letting someone else come in for a bit. Plus his recovery skill provided a bonus for everyone in the area.

I provided the mobility and vulnerability to the group as I stated.

our mesmer focused on his phantasm skills so he was excellent survivability and crowed control.

Our ranger focused on defensive abilities to give him more options for getting away from foes and prolonging melee.

the other thief focused on defense so he really, really focused on his mobility and health.

Finally our necromancer focused on pet swarms and his DoT's with his glyphs and abilities and weapons.

So we took a look at this and decided we would use the other thief to attract initial attention. He was just better at dodging than any of us and so could hold attention of hard hitters the longest. When he used his recovery skil and  turned invisable that would be the guardians que to run in and wrestle away attention. Once the gaurdian had had enough generally he would use his group buff recovery and the mesmer would disorient the group while the necro would use his DoTs to cause damage while the mob was busy with the phantasms and while we recovered. At this point I would be up to bat and run around using my vulnerability moves to try to finish off as many as I could.

The ranger gave our group a constant stream of damage without being in the way or a burden. Because of his focus on  defensive abilities he could largely take care of himself as long as we held the line. He didn't add a noticable increase in damage but then again, we never had to save his ass.

So you see, I can tell exactly what each of us provided for the group in that dungeon. We each provided something unique based on our skill, glyph, and weapon choices.

Originally posted by Jorendo

it is simple, GW2 fans won't say anything good about Tera, to them even the combat of GW2 is much better. Tera fans will say nothing good about GW2 either. This article just fuels the flame wars more. I play Tera atm and i played a bit of the GW2 this beta weekend. Like Luke i felt the same about GW2 that it was a bit underwhelming, probally because i got used to the Tera combat and didn't got to play GW2 as much as i had liked cause of other activities i had to do.

The thing remains none of the two games is better as the other. I know both sides will do their best to convince the other theirs is much better. It is a mather of taste, if you want a game where your focus is more on the quests and exploring the world GW2 is your game. Do you want a more pvp oriented game with a great combat system Tera is your game. I know many GW2 people say the Tera combat is boring, but i doubt they even tried it without a baised opinion to begin with. Cause to be honest, the GW2 combat isn't that special either, it just depends what you look for. Yeah Tera might be a grind, but what is the difference people? I have to kill 10 mobs cause a NPC tells me too, or i have to kill 10 mobs cause some dynamic event tells me to so i can hand in afterwards, quests are quests, no mather how you present it they are the same, you do the same damn thing, killing a x amount of mobs.

I like both games, both offer things that i want. GW2 has siege battles and WvWvW and i loved castle sieges in Warhammer so im glad to see it return in GW2. Tera for me personally has a better combat system and i don't find the grinding that bad cause i get to beat mobs around, and i play on a pvp server so there is plenty of combat to be found with guilds waging wars with each other and such. Tera cost me a monthly fee, and GW2 will be Buy to play free to play...so i can play both games and i shall play both games.

But please people of both sides, stop hating and start minding your own damn business. You aren't gonna convince the other party your game is better, you are talking to a brick wall. Both games have great things, and both games have minor things. Both games haven't done anything new, yet both games have evolved on things, worked them out better. Sorry for the GW2 people but in the old days many things GW2 offers was normal, including the class progression. Tera's diplomacy has been done before as well. Yet both games have put new life into it and improved on it. Both great games so stop bitching.

I largely agree with you. I think the problem is that is difficult for many people to concede any ground. They feel like if they admit that one things is ok about another game then they have lost. It's silly. That being said I actually DID like GW2 combat better. I also don't agree that something must be wrong with people to come to any conclusion (a la "you don't have my opinion, you didn't play it").

So I won't lie and say what I didn't experience just for the sake of civility. I will however say Tera isn't a bad game. I had fun with it. Sadly, to most that isn't enough. They must convince me that its better than GW2. In that there is no convincing me. I've played it and experienced it and played and experienced Tera. That was my experience with the two. To me, one was clearly better--GW2.

If I could I would underline "To me" sixty times to really bring home that its my experience. Not anybody elses.

I appreciate what you are trying to do in your second paragraph by pointing out positives of both but even your assessments of the two there would be different than what I found. I would have been dissapointed listening to even that small pro's listing of the two games. I say this mostly about the PvP aspect you brought up. GW2 is gearing up to be a PvP E-sport with a 200k tournament a year (in structured PvP) that is decided based on a small league ladder system similar to SC2. The ladders aren't really leagues I guess. But if you win enough weekly matches you are placed in the monthly tournament. Win a monthly tournament and you are submitted for the annual. Semi-final in the annuel and you are flown out of state/country to compete in the final match for the pot.

Team legacy is already putting together smaller pots as well to compete in as well as IGN.com and Esport.  Given all the attention to PvP in GW2 its kind of criminal to say that Tera has more of a focus on it when Anet has a fully balanced structured PvP system with a 200k pot at the end of every year.

I didn't mean to chew you out or anything so if it appeared that way I'm sorry. Was just trying to prevent any dissapointment. Tera is a fun game, but if people go in expecting more than what GW2 is offering in that aspect they will be dissapointed. One is gearing up to be an E-sport with streaming and casting support and full fledged siege combat in an open world environment.

Moving on though Tera was fun. It really was. It, ultimately, isn't for me but it was a fine game.

@ Nightshade55

A bit long but I like the sound of it.

As for the reference to WoW, that is an example on how you can make the trinity system fail and make grouping irrelevant in the process. This is also the main reason I was against the implementation of party finding tools under that structure.

In the end of the day, a group is successful if you have identified certain people and put them into your friends list. In order for this to happen they must either be rather social (make your time in the group pleasant) or their role inside the group good enough that you'd prefer to group with them in future encounters.

My only worry is that you mentioned dungeons when I was referring to dynamic events. Dungeons are certainly better at promoting a group mentality. But dynamic events, at least in the games that are out, have more of a mob mentality. Mind you, I am not saying that are not fun, far from it, they were extremely fun to play. But beyond keeping key players afloat, the rest could run around like headless chicken and noone would notice, or care.

Tera has a different issue, ie the unfairness of most of the open world encounters. From what I've seen, beyond few PvP rejects that hunt lowbies, the majority enjoy a good fight at their level range. Of course, as it is in most cases, people try to stack the odds in their favor, so things are usually never "fair".

My other fear with Tera is guild domination. Ie, a guild becoming so big that it dominates all PvP fights just by sheer numbers. I can see that guild becoming an unattractive target for war declarations and the possibility of splits when the fun factor drops, but the danger remains.

The third aspect is not so much a problem, but a reality of open world PvP games. While GW2 features server pride, guild pride in Tera incites drama accross the server. It is certainly something that is newsworthy in games like EVE for example.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Xodroc

Tera had my interest at first, but having played a true FPS style mmorpg, Darkfall, I found Tera's combat underwhelming.  It feels more like pseudo FPS controls, a hybrid target system. 

Since combat is really the only thing Tera has to offer, I see no incentive to choose it over Darkfall despite it's low population.  I went into GW2 with low expectations for combat and pve, pvp, wvw and ended up finding it refreshing despite it's casual nature.

It is not the only thing, but I get what you mean. The beutiful graphics and open world are great but the game lacks that really special thing to kook me.

As for GW2 Vs DF liking both isn´t really that strange. Casual can be really fun as can really hardocre games, fun is fun and always playing something super serious can get tedious in the long run.

• YellowbearddYellowbeardd Member UncommonPosts: 83

There both bad so whats the point? GW2 just free to play only thing that will keep a player base.

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

WoW... really mmorpg.com? your adding this kind of articles on top of already massive pile of arguements already happening on your own forums have you even read them? seriously bravo... more useless bitching at one and another... for the users to grab hold to.. sigh...

@ Nightshade55

A bit long but I like the sound of it.

As for the reference to WoW, that is an example on how you can make the trinity system fail and make grouping irrelevant in the process. This is also the main reason I was against the implementation of party finding tools under that structure.

In the end of the day, a group is successful if you have identified certain people and put them into your friends list. In order for this to happen they must either be rather social (make your time in the group pleasant) or their role inside the group good enough that you'd prefer to group with them in future encounters.

My only worry is that you mentioned dungeons when I was referring to dynamic events. Dungeons are certainly better at promoting a group mentality. But dynamic events, at least in the games that are out, have more of a mob mentality. Mind you, I am not saying that are not fun, far from it, they were extremely fun to play. But beyond keeping key players afloat, the rest could run around like headless chicken and noone would notice, or care.

Tera has a different issue, ie the unfairness of most of the open world encounters. From what I've seen, beyond few PvP rejects that hunt lowbies, the majority enjoy a good fight at their level range. Of course, as it is in most cases, people try to stack the odds in their favor, so things are usually never "fair".

My other fear with Tera is guild domination. Ie, a guild becoming so big that it dominates all PvP fights just by sheer numbers. I can see that guild becoming an unattractive target for war declarations and the possibility of splits when the fun factor drops, but the danger remains.

The third aspect is not so much a problem, but a reality of open world PvP games. While GW2 features server pride, guild pride in Tera incites drama accross the server. It is certainly something that is newsworthy in games like EVE for example.

Sorry my posts are generally longer eh. I undertand I am longwinded in my writing and sometimes drag out major points. It's something I try to keep in check. I'd rather give more than enough feedback to truly portray my position than to give short, stubby answers that don't really get what I'm saying across.

I agree with you on your first point there and is also the cause of my issue with dungeon finders. To my experience they seem to promote silent pseudo groups. I honestly felt no different in these groups than if I were playing alone.

Some DE's are certainly that way. Thats something that I don't have a problem with though as far as working with dozens or even hundreds of players. Everybody is really good about reviving (you gain exp and gold for doing so) and classes really do support other people around them. As far as nobody caring about the people running around frantically, I wouldn't say people don't care necessarily. Because they are noticeable. Its just that I'm not going to stop fighting to tell them to do something. They aren't going to destroy the entire event by flailing around. Eventually they get the hang of things. Mostly after they die a bunch of times.

So to a certain extent your right but its hard to explain. Small pockets of players tend to work together in these larger events. For example If I see a guardian throw up a bubble I'll get under it with him and I'll throw daggers through firewalls to light them on fire and I'll lay down tripwires and watch other people goad enemies into them. So its not exactly this chaotic explosion of random. It does take some getting used to though. Sometimes though they are just zergs with the players barging through. It all depends on the event and the people involved. If the people aren't getting anywhere taking down mobs individually than usually they start to spawn more tactical responses.

Anyway you put it all out warfare with hundreds of players is going to look chaotic as hell.

I hope that does something to explain my viewpoint, I certainly understand yours.

On to Tera. In its defense I don't think there's anything they can do about that. When you have open world PvP that takes into account progressional leveling and gear there is always incentive for people to pick easy battles. I'm not sure there's any way around it. Even doing what EQ2 did and providing no rewards for easy kills didn't stop people. The sheer thrill of trolling other players pushed people on to kill people 30 and 40 levels lower then them in areas with no safe zone.

I can see your worry about a guild becoming too large and dominating the system. It is certainly possible but I think it'll be a while before you really have to worry about that kind of power. IF it does happen its hard to stop unless the guild just gets bored and moves on. There's a small snowball chance that other guilds will merge to overthrow them. Although its possible. I just wouldn't worry about it as of now.

Some people like the internal server drama's of guild warfare and some don't. Guild drama in GW2 mainly takes place in the mists and in structured PvP. Where guilds can kill each other and capture each others keeps. It is there but yeah, not in the server itself.

I also wouldn't worry about this as much as I've never seen guild drama that wasn't interesting. Its always cool to me to hear about two rival factions in a struggle. It adds a layer of the universe I charish. For example the battle of the bay in WvWvW was so awesome to me in part because it involved two rival guilds. Team Legacy and Reddit. I suppose if it got to a point where it was abnoxious it would be annoying but I haven't seen it ever get to that level. The guild drama in EVE almost made me buy the game. Its still in my mind and I'm still considering playing it until a week or so from now when D3 hits shelves.

Originally posted by Yellowbeardd

There both bad so whats the point? GW2 just free to play only thing that will keep a player base.

I would hardly say either of them are "bad". GW2 is also not free to play. its B2P. If you consider GW2 free to play then every game you own that has no subscription can be considered free to play?

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

Originally posted by berlight

i wont go to tera, just because the lead dev is from Aion and if anyone here played that ull remember the lies, absolutely no feedback from them, on top of that when they were saying that they were working on the patches...later on we all discover the lies because this "dev" was waiting for the korean to translate the game...AHAHAHAH...lamer then this is impossible, anyway goodluck to everyone that is going to Tera. (it wont be to long i bet)

AHAHAHAH it just begun!

[Update: En Masse has contacted us to note that the 2000 players have been affected by the "insufficient remaining subscription time" issue, not the "immediate billing" error. En Masse says that these are two separate issues that the studio is actively working to resolve as fast as possible. We've updated this article accordingly.]

iot Good luck with that idiot Dev...bye bye Tera LOL!!!

Beta tester maniac

It's kind of interesting that EN Mass is having the issues and not Frogster. Not many people affected but still ...

On the same page, you do realise that Anet took people's money without announcing a launch date with the carrot of a beta weekend? Guess which other company did the same thing, of course it wasn't Anet and they got flamed for it. Mortal online was their game ;)

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

It's kind of interesting that EN Mass is having the issues and not Frogster. Not many people affected but still ...

On the same page, you do realise that Anet took people's money without announcing a launch date with the carrot of a beta weekend? Guess which other company did the same thing, of course it wasn't Anet and they got flamed for it. Mortal online was their game ;)

True, but Anet wasn't screwing that up. They told you what you could get if you paid them money before the fact, and if you did, you got stuff. It wasn't an accident. This thing with Tera is pretty hilarious.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

I don't think that they'll mess things up this badly either, but they did exactly the same thing.

Say, what if Blizzard offered Mists of Pandaria on pre-order, but with no launch date anywhere available? What would you think about that?

• amadeuzamadeuz Member Posts: 73

I didnot play Guild Wars 2, so I cant express about this game.

But I played Tera for months in Korean server

The result is, imo Tera didnot impress me at all, yes the combat is good, but it's simply as that.

• givememyigngivememyign Member Posts: 1

Hm a little bit of sanity ok taking the hint I'm done looking at silly threads ty.  One thing I have to dispute tho 200 to 500 mob kills is grinding? T_T 

Just saying we all have are own limits and IMO u kno your grinding if.

You died and lost 8 plus hours worth of exp.

You find you self bribing/blackmailing/teaching family members how to play your char.

Saying things like WOW I'm gettining 0.003 off these this is great.

Ooorrr saying with satisfaction *MMMm only have to kill 3mil of these to level not bad*

A korean says hes quitting the game you just experianced the above in because it's 6 to 9 times to easy to level. Don't worry *unless your korean* your still grinding strong^ 6 to 9 times easyier is acceptable for the rest of the world. 

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208

I have to wonder if the op spent any time in dungeons in the game? That is where Tera lost me, the combat inside and length of the dungeons just put me to sleep.I would have liked the boss fights be a bit more interesting.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Yeah those issues TERA are having are BS. I sent a support ticket 4 days ago when the game launched, still haven't gotten a reply, not even telling me that they are working on it. I bought the game and didn't receive a free trial, I also didn't get my pre order bonus items, and lastly they charged me a month already.

The worst part is that I'm barely playing the game at all, after a few quests I grow tired and soloing BAMs gets old pretty fast, so I'll most likely cancel my subscription before I get charged again, I should've just bought D3 instead.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• PuraimaruPuraimaru Member UncommonPosts: 68

I love both :D They both offer something different. ^_^

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

OP

Where's the discussion of WvW and PVP ?

Where's the discussion of cost....subscription etc ?

Where's the discussion of crafting ?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

This topic needs a Poll.

Though it'll turn out like the other thread with a poll with GW2 the clear winner in the MMORPG.com communities eyes.

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Played Tera for the first time lastnight, my friend and I both played beta for GW2. I only played a lvl 18 ranger but I can honestly say although Tera looks absolutely beautiful, GW2 is not only just as beautiful in its own respects but the combat of GW2 far out weighs Tera's, with an emphesis on action.

Once GW2 releases my friend has already made up his mind that he's cancelling his Tera account. I never even bothered with Tera because Ive watched the development of both games over the years and knew which would do it for me. My only reservations were if ArenaNet could actually do everything they were saying they would do and not let me down like FFXIV did, and man they did not let down my expectations at all during beta.

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294

Played both Tera and GW2 Beta and to sum it up:

Tera = cheesy ugly Asia crap, where male chars all look like beardless 15year olds.

GW2= Good western Highfantasy with awesome Man-Like charakters with über PVP and PVE!

Originally posted by BadSpock

This topic needs a Poll.

Though it'll turn out like the other thread with a poll with GW2 the clear winner in the MMORPG.com communities eyes.

The poll won't be an indication of anything. A game in development will always win the hype war vs a game that has launched. Always did in this site. In fact, the further away in development it is, the more awesome it looks.

And I'm not talking about the specific two games, but in general.