Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Guild Wars 2 vs TERA

Comments

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Nightshade55

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by Sythion

Originally posted by ElVisitante

As for the combat, it is pretty much an ability spam-fest (In PvE). I would use all of my abilites that weren't pure CC abilities on cooldown until the mob I was fighting was dead. I didn't think about it, just pressed them and in a few seconds mob was dead. Woo.

WHAT?

What class were you playing. This is a ridiculous statement from my experience.

To be fair, that's how most people start out playing. That is until they realize that if you stop spamming and time your abilities, you perform better. It takes a bit of practice to realize that certain abilities should be used at certain times.

Perhaps but he said he reached level 25. I'm not sure where or what he was playing as but from my experience button mashing at that level was gaurantee'd death. I came up with that elaborate scheme out of necessity. I HAD to become mobile and use my theifs skills appropriately less I be facing the floor.

Again, its not our place to tell him the experience he had. I just can't understand it though. What I experienced was too different.

I think that a lot of the people who make claims about the combat being too spammy and dynamic events being like WAR's PQs or worse glorified quests, have not played very far past level 6 and the starting areas around the capitals.

By the way thank you for the actual critique and not just flaming rampantly. Be careful about talking about what was and wasn't in the closed beta. Closed beta's are always under NDA. Its unlikely that they will track you but if they do its actually a pretty hefty fine and some jail-time depending on what you said. Not threatening just relating what one of my buddies has experienced (broke the NDA for Diablo 3 resently in one of their closed betas).

Moving on though I can't say what was in the closed beta, I wasn't in it. Even if I was I still couldn't say due to NDA. However, there may be something there for you to check out in the future then. I'm not saying go out and pre-purchase now to see the next beta. Just keep an open mind. it sounds like there is a lot of stuff in there now that wasn't there. We are talking about beta flux after all. The game will be completely different than it is now upon release. Sometimes that's for worse but Anet has been truly listening to its beta testers so I doubt that'll be the case.

Ok so If I understand correctly here is our common ground regarding DE's. The things you do aren't new as general game activities go. The way that you do them is. (Which I argue that nothing you do in any game is ever new. As I stated we've been doing these kill quests and such sense mario. Again, GoW is a giant kill quest. Skyrim, DA:O, and all games have the same quests and activities you do here. There literally is nothing else to do in a game that is interesting and fun that is not a variation of these archtypes). DE's are better than the old quest system.

That last part I'm not sure is middle ground yet because you haven't actually said that. I can't imagine anyone preferring ol' quest log though. Then again, I can't imagine anyone experiencing the events I did to find them uninspired. Then, yet AGAIN, you may or may not have done the events I did.

I never tried an elementalist so I can't comment on it. The ones I saw were dodging and rolling and it looked fine. I haven't played as one. Again though,  you participated in an extremely old build of the game it seems. Thus, you may want to reserve judgement.

The way you do quests isn't better, in my opinion. Instead of interacting with who I'm doing quests for, I just get slapped with the quest when I enter the area with no idea why I'm doing it. Convenient to be sure, but not very immersive. For almost all the heart quests and many of the dynamic events this is the case. Of course there are certain events like a town invasion that don't need explanation, but then afterwards you don't get any feedback from thankful npcs or anything. The mail letters after the fact simply don't involve you as much as actual speaking, yet they still function like quest text essentially. The reason I think GW2's quests are better than TERA's is because of the variety, not because of any revolutionary touted dynamism.

I do dodge and roll, but TERA has dodge and roll too and implemented in a much more meaningful way. Again, definitely not bad, just uninteresting.

Had you actually played to level 25, like you claim, you would have known that very often dynamic events lead to other dynamic events based on the outcome.

However, the major difference between dynamic events and quests is that quests are always static and dynamic events happen whether there are players present there or not.

• ElVisitanteElVisitante Member Posts: 44

By the way thank you for the actual critique and not just flaming rampantly. Be careful about talking about what was and wasn't in the closed beta. Closed beta's are always under NDA. Its unlikely that they will track you but if they do its actually a pretty hefty fine and some jail-time depending on what you said. Not threatening just relating what one of my buddies has experienced (broke the NDA for Diablo 3 resently in one of their closed betas).

Moving on though I can't say what was in the closed beta, I wasn't in it. Even if I was I still couldn't say due to NDA. However, there may be something there for you to check out in the future then. I'm not saying go out and pre-purchase now to see the next beta. Just keep an open mind. it sounds like there is a lot of stuff in there now that wasn't there. We are talking about beta flux after all. The game will be completely different than it is now upon release. Sometimes that's for worse but Anet has been truly listening to its beta testers so I doubt that'll be the case.

Ok so If I understand correctly here is our common ground regarding DE's. The things you do aren't new as general game activities go. The way that you do them is. (Which I argue that nothing you do in any game is ever new. As I stated we've been doing these kill quests and such sense mario. Again, GoW is a giant kill quest. Skyrim, DA:O, and all games have the same quests and activities you do here. There literally is nothing else to do in a game that is interesting and fun that is not a variation of these archtypes). DE's are better than the old quest system.

That last part I'm not sure is middle ground yet because you haven't actually said that. I can't imagine anyone preferring ol' quest log though. Then again, I can't imagine anyone experiencing the events I did to find them uninspired. Then, yet AGAIN, you may or may not have done the events I did.

I never tried an elementalist so I can't comment on it. The ones I saw were dodging and rolling and it looked fine. I haven't played as one. Again though,  you participated in an extremely old build of the game it seems. Thus, you may want to reserve judgement.

The way you do quests isn't better, in my opinion. Instead of interacting with who I'm doing quests for, I just get slapped with the quest when I enter the area with no idea why I'm doing it. Convenient to be sure, but not very immersive. For almost all the heart quests and many of the dynamic events this is the case. Of course there are certain events like a town invasion that don't need explanation, but then afterwards you don't get any feedback from thankful npcs or anything. The mail letters after the fact simply don't involve you as much as actual speaking, yet they still function like quest text essentially. The reason I think GW2's quests are better than TERA's is because of the variety, not because of any revolutionary touted dynamism.

I do dodge and roll, but TERA has dodge and roll too and implemented in a much more meaningful way. Again, definitely not bad, just uninteresting.

Had you actually played to level 25, like you claim, you would have known that very often dynamic events lead to other dynamic events based on the outcome.

However, the major difference between dynamic events and quests is that quests are always static and dynamic events happen whether there are players present there or not.

And here we go with the accusations. Where in my post did I state or imply that I didn't know that? Now you're just making things up.

• NightvergeNightverge Member Posts: 211

Did you know you can talk to the people if you want and get the same backstory presented to you? you are never just slapped with a quest/event. If you want to know more about what's going on you can talk to them. you just don't have to.

Given that though this is probably as far as we'll get in our debate. I understand your opinion, I can't relate but I understand, and disagree. I feel the dodge and roll in Tera has no real risk/reward system in it. Its perpetual.

The mail letters are nice but again, if you want you can run up to someone and talk to them and get a dialogue chain that you can answer that will give you the whole lowdown on what's going on. I read all of them. The best part about them here is they aren't walls of text. You are actually talking to the person to find out information. You click on what you want to say and intimidate or charm them or whatever. Its nice, versus the boring page of text with zero interaction.

We do have an impass here though so I hope you find great enjoyment with Tera :). Hopefully I see you in GW2 eventually as well.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606

I have happily paid 15 a month for MMOing for 13 odd years. After playing GW2 for a weekend I find my self pondering... with the level of quality in GW2 how can I justify spending a monthly fee? I looked at their cash shop and there is no pay to win items. Even looked at GW1 cash shop and there is none there. With the amount of fun I had its gona be a while before I get board enough to want to pay 15 bucks a month. Tera maybe a little better in the combat area but other areas GW2 wind hands down. How does that justify spending 15 bucks a month?

And here we go with the accusations. Where in my post did I state or imply that I didn't know that? Now you're just making things up.

They are not accusations, they are observations based on your comments. I mean just reading your comments on GW2's combat is enough to see that you have very little time with the game, if any. Definitely not to level 25.

Unless you're specifically omitting certain things in order to make your point seem more valid.

They are not accusations, they are observations based on your comments. I mean just reading your comments on GW2's combat is enough to see that you have very little time with the game, if any. Definitely not to level 25.

Unless you're specifically omitting certain things in order to make your point seem more valid.

I am just relating my experience. Believe it or don't. Although it seems like you are saying that just because I felt differently about the game than you, I must not have played the game.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

1) There are multiple different types of quests in GW2, and they are not the same. Sounds like you mainly focused on 1 type of quest, and then just assumed that everything was like that. Maybe it was 'to you', but the game really is meant to be explored, and doesn't do a lot to hand-hold you through that. It expects players to take the initiative on their own.

There are:

- Heart Quests. This is the most amount of handholding you are really going to get, as far as quests. You always know where they are, what lvl they are, who you're helping, and what stage of the event is going on. This mechanic is basically a means of easing players into the rest of the game / part of map completion.

- Personal Story: Personally not my favorite, but this is bascially the closest thing this game has to traditional quests. You constantly have a task, a marker showing you where to go, and a clear objective of 'do this or try again'. Again, a feature catered to the traditional MMO gamer.

- Dynamic Events: These are what the game is generally centered around. Some show up on the map, some don't. You don't know which of these are going on, unless you're nearby, and you don't know how serious the event is unless you're nearby. One time, it could be as simple as killing beasts. Next time, you may need to stop a huge demonic summoning ritual. While many of the ones most people saw had similarities, they are different, and they do vary. It's not limited to town/outpost raids & hearts. Not in the slightest.

- Meta Events: These are zone-wide events, that don't happen very often, and need a large group of players in order to successfully complete. In beta, some people witnessed this in the form of the shatterer.

- Exploration Quests: These are quests that you have to actually go and find. They are varied, they are hidden, and they are numerous. They could be anything small like 'giving the hunter some meat, so he can smoke it', in which case you can buy smoked meat off him for a time after completion, which is a consumable. There's also larger one's like tracking down someone's lost husband, who has been gone a long time. There are some that you don't know are quests, until you are actively doing them. For example, in the Norn area is a hidden jump-puzzle cave. You need to jump across platforms hanging over a pit of shadow demons. These paths are cluttered with animals that move (and knock you off if you touch them), shamans that morph into creatures and attack you, all with a reward at the end for successfully completing it.

There's a lot to miss, and it sounds like those who didn't bother looking missed the most by far.

2) I'm not sure how being able to spam dodge makes it seem more significant to you, but to each his own, I guess. Personally, I like that you have to use your dodges wisely. They are far from useless, and have saved my arse many times. Furthermore, you can buff your characters to dodge more if you feel you need it. In TERA, I never had trouble dodging, and I'm not even sure it's worth going into the other methods, as they are laughably easy to use. Basically, most fights (even in PvE), amounted to 'big telegraphed attack inbound', use my dodge and I was basically immune to damage for a good 1.5-2seconds. Then retaliate, or dodge again. It felt like a crutch, instead of a significant part of combat 'oh, can't handle this next part, well you're dodge is always there for you'. In GW2 I felt I needed to actually plan my dodges out a lot more (and save them) for times when it really was necessary. Furthermore, I also had to use my other skills to make up for not having dodge available. Made things a lot more challenging, tbh.

I am just relating my experience. Believe it or don't. Although it seems like you are saying that just because I felt differently about the game than you, I must not have played the game.

It's not about feeling differently it's about being believable. It's simply impossible to get to level 25 and not be aware of certain features.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Both games are Terrible bad pun intentional for two bad games. They are both linear themeparks on rails with comabat that is entirely beholden to the holy trinity. They advertize next generation combat yet if feels remarkable like playing WoW with dodging. Been there done and gets old after about 15 minutes. If you want real next generation action combat then look at the way Vindictus did it. NO HEALER class at all and a limited tank that doesn't do much in terms of tanking. Making a game based arround the holy trinity and calling it next generation or action combat is a joke.

Both TERA and Guild Wars 2 have no end game to speak of. There is nothing to do after you beat all the content except PvP. TERA especially failed to produce any large scale PvE content or raids. When the largest group content is 5 man instances that hardly feels like MMO anymore. These are both throw away MMOs designed to rack up large box sales and nothing else.

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

Originally posted by BadSpock

Originally posted by Lazarus71

Originally posted by BadSpock

An honest reply and one I have heard before. I actually really like the idea of BAM's and group based leveling up and all that, I really enjoy challenging group content especially in the open world, but I just don't see the cost of the game + subscription being justified by what I have seen in TERA thus far.

Fair enough Spock, to each thier own. I had the money so I went ahead and bought Tera and for now I have no problem paying the 15 a month to play the game. When GW2 drops I will most definately be buying the game and then who knows Tera might go the way of the dinosaurs for me personally. Only time will tell.

Part of me wants to buy TERA anyway and hope I get enough enjoyment out of it to last until GW2 is released, but I'm trying to be "good" and not "waste" money on yet another MMO that will fade to my uninstall shelf after a few weeks/month.

I rather felt the same way Bad Spock, I bought SWTOR and had fun for a bit but burned out not long after. I had planned to avoid Tera as I understood it to not be doing so well in Korea... I am glad I caved and bought it though as it's a blast to play.

I've no doubt that GW2 will be a fun game and a safe investment for me as the gameplay looks incredible.

Both games appear to have managed to be dynamically engaging and are aimed at slightly different markets. Comparing them seems like comparing EQ to AC back in their hey-day.

Both are good, but in different ways.

At the end of the day, I feel that the largest single determiner for the success of a game will rest on the quality of the community in it.  I can see both building strong stable communities that will keep folks logging in for a long time to come.

• binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528

omg, 330 replies, who actualy read all the replies?

It's not about feeling differently it's about being believable. It's simply impossible to get to level 25 and not be aware of certain features.

Like I said, believe it or don't. But simply stating a random fact about the game, then claiming that I didn't know about it, isn't a very good basis for dismissing me as not having played.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Novusod

Both games are Terrible bad pun intentional for two bad games. They are both linear themeparks on rails with comabat that is entirely beholden to the holy trinity. They advertize next generation combat yet if feels remarkable like playing WoW with dodging. Been there done and gets old after about 15 minutes. If you want real next generation action combat then look at the way Vindictus did it. NO HEALER class at all and a limited tank that doesn't do much in terms of tanking. Making a game based arround the holy trinity and calling it next generation or action combat is a joke.

Both TERA and Guild Wars 2 have no end game to speak of. There is nothing to do after you beat all the content except PvP. TERA especially failed to produce any large scale PvE content or raids. When the largest group content is 5 man instances that hardly feels like MMO anymore. These are both throw away MMOs designed to rack up large box sales and nothing else.

You seem to be confused and misinformed in all of your ranting there.

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

You clearly did not play either of the games you speak of.

Guild Wars 2 has no healer and no tank. There are heal skills, of course, but not healing classes. It is hard enough to get three or more healing skills on one bar, let alone enough to make you a healer.

There is no aggro grabbing or aggro holding whatsoever. The aggro decides who to attack, not the guy spamming taunt.

Vindictus was a good game, but the actual gameplay outside of combat was off. Vindictus felt like a mini game, not a fully fleshed out game. I will say the combat in Vindictus is great, but not great enough to make up for just about everything else the game it was lacking. Also... fishing was pretty fun. :)

Also... endgame does not have to be raiding. Are people still idiotic enough to fall for this? Time sink is one thing, end game is another. End game means there is a purpose to play at the end of the game. It would appear this is present in both games.

Also... the largest group content is not five. .The largest group content in Guild Wars 2 is more than triple that of Vindictus. If you count PvP, then the group content is even more... but you don't know this because you never looked into the game. Which is fine.

Like I said, believe it or don't. But simply stating a random fact about the game, then claiming that I didn't know about it, isn't a very good basis for dismissing me as not having played.

You don't know simple things that anyone who had played past level 10 would know. But anyway, it's pointless if you want people to believe that you have played, who am I to stop you. Keep at it!

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

I can't speak to your points about Tera......but as far as GW2 goes......

DE's are about as far from an on rails theme park as you can get. They will litterally fire off when no one is around and they will be at different states for different people. 

There are elements of a trinity of sorts in GW2, but its not Tank, Healer, DPS. Healers have been ripped out entirely. There are proffesions that do some healing, but its nowhere near enough to sustain combat. Tanks exist somewhat with some fringe builds, but by and large its been replaced with Control. DPS remains.

Finally, since you automatically scale to a level that offers a challenge for each event, they remain viable throughout your leveling experience. And since there is no set path for progression, you skip content frequently. ANNNNDDDD, the dev will be altering DE's in a zone by zone basis over the course of months, adding some and removeing others, in order to make it new and fresh. Can't beat that endgame.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

dont get mad guys this is just his opinion ,same ican give mine i play terra and gw2 betas and ican say i really enjoy more gw2  in all aspect  ,terra bring  the combat wish is great but come on therest its just Aion feels for me . either way KOR game dont last or shine in NA so dont fight or make it harder  for what it is  gw2 will be the next talk  the next fanboys the next WoW word but  whit GW ,and in front of that the game is not release yet  so we have a long more stuff to see and suprises .

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345

The biggest difference for me is that in Tera, when you reach the lower twentys, you need groups for the continuing quests. I'm not a pickup group fan. In GW2, I didn't need a group, I just joined in to whatever was going on and got credit for it,

I can see that GW2 will be a long playing game for me, although I will try others out occasionally, like the Secret World.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Originally posted by Vannor

As soon as I saw the title of this thread I knew tera would come out on top overall. Personally tera isn't for me, it's GW2 all the way.

I knew though, just knew, that mmorpg.com couldn't/shouldn't put an article up like this if GW2 was the overall winner. The ongoing forum battle would have turned into an all out war. Giving two verdicts from different people was also a must, just to save face.

I actually think that both Luke and good ol' Bill Murphy actually prefer GW2 hands down... but that's just my opinion :P The wording in this article is very selective and careful, especially the "as it stands right now" bit at the end, which is a clear opener for an opinion change in a later article. In other words, TERA gets the edge because it is completed and released, but when GW2 is completed and released.................?

wow....go get your tinfoil hat! I doubt the MMORPG staff is purposely lying just to hype Tera.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Since GW2 is F2P i'll likely get that too even though i'm playing Tera right now. I'm sure a lot of people will get GW2 and still carry a sub to another game.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Brynn

The biggest difference for me is that in Tera, when you reach the lower twentys, you need groups for the continuing quests. I'm not a pickup group fan. In GW2, I didn't need a group, I just joined in to whatever was going on and got credit for it,

I can see that GW2 will be a long playing game for me, although I will try others out occasionally, like the Secret World.

You do get group quests per are you visit, but, well, like any other mmorpg they are skippable. Besides, the amount of quests given per zone is big enough to keep you ahead of the levelling curve, especially if you combine them with dungeoning.

My only issue at the moment is that the dungeon finder tool seem to be relatively slow in finding me a group. That may mean that:

• The conditions to make a group are too strict (the tool is cross server btw)

• Not may people are using the tool, but rely more on guild runs and are chat invites

• There aren't many people in general

I have no way to verify the fist condtion. The second condition is a possibility, but I would still expect soloers to use such a tool. Maybe a good portion of people are not aware of it. It's not as bad as LOTRO, where almost noone knew or used the matchmaking tool, but the wait in Tera is still quite lengthy. As for the last bit, I find it hard to believe, looking at how many people are roaming the open world. If there was a population drop off, I'd expect it much later, perhaps by the time TSW will be out.

You are right though. GW2 is build from ground up to be a soloer's game. This is certainly making it more accessible and casual, which is hardly a bad thing. The irony is that guilds and guild wars seem to matter a lot more in Tera than in GW2.

• NightvergeNightverge Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by Xasapis

You do get group quests per are you visit, but, well, like any other mmorpg they are skippable. Besides, the amount of quests given per zone is big enough to keep you ahead of the levelling curve, especially if you combine them with dungeoning.

My only issue at the moment is that the dungeon finder tool seem to be relatively slow in finding me a group. That may mean that:

• Not may people are using the tool, but rely more on guild runs and are chat invites

I have no way to verify the fist condtion. The second condition is a possibility, but I would still expect soloers to use such a tool. Maybe a good portion of people are not aware of it. It's not as bad as LOTRO, where almost noone knew or used the matchmaking tool, but the wait in Tera is still quite lengthy. As for the last bit, I find it hard to believe, looking at how many people are roaming the open world. If there was a population drop off, I'd expect it much later, perhaps by the time TSW will be out.

You are right though. GW2 is build from ground up to be a soloer's game. This is certainly making it more accessible and casual, which is hardly a bad thing. The irony is that guilds and guild wars seem to matter a lot more in Tera than in GW2.

Really? I found GW2 to be a groupers paradise. Grouping and interacting with other poeple as painlessly as possible. So painless it required zero effort. I'd go into a DE and instantly be working with 10+ other people. I didn't really consider myself to be soloing at all with my time in GW2.

Now I am a known GW2 fan so we may, and probably do, just have different values and views. That's perfectly fine and actually its great. The world would be boring if everybody had my values.

As far as guilds mattering they definately matter here. Its almost impossable to do a dungeon in GW2 without a coordinated group, usually stemming from guilds. For anyone who thought the game would be easy the dungeons (at least the one showcased in the demo) are challenging as nails. I believe the guilds really shine in PvP though. Guilds rule the WvWvW show. Trying to take a castle from an organized guild took hours of sieging and stratagizing. I participated in the attack of reddits castle a few times and boy, it was tough. I only made it inside the walls once and that was because team legacy was there and really laying the pressure on so I managed to skip inside for a few minutes. The guards actually killed me. Yeah, the guards. Reddit had upgraded the keep so much that just the guards were tough as nails.

So I think all large scale guild activities will likely take place on the battlefield, in dungeons, or in meta events (the world bosses and such).

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by Xasapis

Really? I found GW2 to be a groupers paradise. Grouping and interacting with other poeple as painlessly as possible. So painless it required zero effort. I'd go into a DE and instantly be working with 10+ other people. I didn't really consider myself to be soloing at all with my time in GW2.

Now I am a known GW2 fan so we may, and probably do, just have different values and views. That's perfectly fine and actually its great. The world would be boring if everybody had my values.

As far as guilds mattering they definately matter here. Its almost impossable to do a dungeon in GW2 without a coordinated group, usually stemming from guilds. For anyone who thought the game would be easy the dungeons (at least the one showcased in the demo) are challenging as nails. I believe the guilds really shine in PvP though. Guilds rule the WvWvW show. Trying to take a castle from an organized guild took hours of sieging and stratagizing. I participated in the attack of reddits castle a few times and boy, it was tough. I only made it inside the walls once and that was because team legacy was there and really laying the pressure on so I managed to skip inside for a few minutes. The guards actually killed me. Yeah, the guards. Reddit had upgraded the keep so much that just the guards were tough as nails.

So I think all large scale guild activities will likely take place on the battlefield, in dungeons, or in meta events (the world bosses and such).

I never did anything solo in GW2.  If you can solo in GW2 hats off. By that I mean, u are alaways partying with people and teaming with people. 

Again, this is the slave wow mentality.  Grouping means healing or tanking.  There's no other way to do it in the mind mentality.   

There is a difference between "grouping" and "partying".  If you want to coordinate with people or party with people, you just sselect to do that, but its not a nesseancity for grouping. Grouping's only requirement is to have the same objective.  Next, u do the same htings u do in a party, watch for action ques. 

ICombat is fluid.  It actually feels like combat. I"m watching for combo fileds, i'm laying them down, i'm dipping in combat, watching those who do and knowing when to relieve them, throwing down conditions and healing fountains and blowing them up when they lead the bad guys to me.  You just don't do this in any other MMO.  

I just can't get geekded about a crosshair when u just told me to kill 50 trees for a darn piece of bark. I know trees, they all have bark.  

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I got bored in under half an hour in Tera. I kept spamming my mouse button like an FPS, but it wasn't as mobile or interesting as an FPS. Yes, I dodged a few times, and I got some fun abilities. The ranger had a cool multi-target AoE that was done very well, and could also be used for massive damage on a single powerful unit. Very clever, very well done, and very cool. But the majority of my time was intensely repetitive and very grindy. Even the starter island was a series of "kill this many dudes" quests. It bored my so heavily I became annoyed and disillusioned very quickly. But this was not because it was a bad game. Everything was gorgeous, just stunning. The combat was fast-paced and well done. I just didn't enjoy the traditional quest mechanic or the FPS style of the combat.

Guild Wars 2 was exciting from the word go. Learning new abilities was well-paced, and every single one of them was interesting and fun to use. After the start, I was repeatedly drawn into things, going places I hadn't planned on going, and doing things I hadn't planned on doing, without getting a quest from some guy. I fought a giant worm with a dozen other people less than ten minutes out of the gate. And we worked together with a basic level of synergy as well. Choosing what to do, what ability to activate or what weapon to use was interesting and exciting. The environment was gorgeous, the cities were massive and full of life, the combat was active without being jumpy or too actiony. Every moment of the game was fun and every encounter was interesting and included a measure of actual danger, though in some cases a small one only.

There is really no comparison, and they shouldn't be compared, except in that they are both using control schemes that greatly outclass anything done in any MMO before. Tabula Rasa was a step forward, but everything else about that game was boring as all hell. They are new, and we should just be glad there are two games out there trying to do new things.

They are both amazing for what they set out to do, and if there is any MMOer who plays these two games, and goes back to WoW or EQ or something, they are hopeless.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman