Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Guild Wars 2 vs TERA

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This week has seen a lot of news about both of these keenly anticipated titles with TERA's doors officially swinging open and the first widely attended Guild Wars 2 closed beta event taking place just before. We are in a conundrum. Find out why and then let us know what you think in the comments.

Like Luke below (ha, Like Luke!) I’ve wrestled back and forth between Guild Wars 2 and TERA since I’ve been spending time in both betas. The difference, as you’ll see, is that while Luke finds himself underwhelmed by ArenaNet’s sequel, I find myself floored by it. And with TERA launching this week and GW2 presumably just a few months away, we each take time to ponder which game has the edge for our personal tastes.

Read more of Luke Karmali's and Bill Murphy's Guild Wars 2 vs TERA.

imageimage

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

You just had to do it, huh? 

I just know that the comments are going to get really ugly, really fast. 

• rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    tera just a basic korean grind fest  just alot prettier nothing remotely diffrent from it except the vanarch system which i think they had a similar concept in archlord back in the day people are just naive to see it at least gw2 just feels so much diffrent than most mmos out there.
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Both games are fantastic! Loved em both and will play them both. Both games are different in their own ways.
  • RollmeisterRollmeister Member Posts: 41

*Grabs Popcorn*

This could be interesting to watch.  Personally TERA doesn't appeal, but I am glad that there are multiple MMOs coming out that are trying to move the genre in different ways.  Diversification is good.  As long as people can finally accept that a game doesn't need 10 million subscribers to be succesful then there may well be games for all of us, regardless of what we look for in a game.

I'm 30% Rock, 10% Roll, 50% Nerd and 10% Troll.
    Axis of Awesome - Moderately Rock and Roll

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by rammur65
    tera just a basic korean grind fest  just alot prettier nothing remotely diffrent from it except the vanarch system which i think they had a similar concept in archlord back in the day people are just naive to see it at least gw2 just feels so much diffrent than most mmos out there.

Ladies and gentlemen, the first shot has been fired! Activate your flameshields!

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Nice article guys. I like the way you compare and contrasted the 2 new shinies. Though I have to admit (again) to not following either game as I can't seem to find either one's hook, they do both look good and maybe one of these days I'll actually venture forth into them.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by Alot

I agree image

• bubas74bubas74 Member UncommonPosts: 9

I see you re a Tera fan, that s your right, but, everything you talk about gw2, combat, pvp, pve combat, you must have one of these problems (or more than 1): bad pvp player (a tabber never kills anything, gl with that); you lose hp in a perfect fight - you can t setup your skills decently, because you need to kyte, dodge, and switch weapon; you prefer action style pvp - gl with the mass pvp, the correct enemies focus.

Plus, gw2 is so well designed, people that can t afford/ don t have a top pc can still play it, with good quality and decent fps rate. (you just can t do that with Tera).

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by Alot

dont forget about the trolls comments..... wont take to much time to start

To rammur how is gw2 really different from any other game? It has tab targeting same old pve we are all used too, however Tera is the same as far as quests go but with BAMS and the dungeons with the true action combat Tera feels more different then your traditional mmo also Tera is NOT a grind fest, someone who actualy played tera wouldn't say that.
  • punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    I for one am stuck picking 3 games, TSW,GW2,Tera. This helpd me a little and i will say GW2 is for me hands down, also being a DAOC vet helps to with picking GW2. know do a GW2 vs TSW and i will be glued to see what y'all come up with.
  • UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540
    Why not just rename the article title, "How to summon trolls in ten words or less?".
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by punkrock

I for one am stuck picking 3 games, TSW,GW2,Tera. This helpd me a little and i will say GW2 is for me hands down, also being a DAOC vet helps to with picking GW2. know do a GW2 vs TSW and i will be glued to see what y'all come up with.

When we can, we will!  ;)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Also you don't need a killer pc to run tera either that's just nonsense talk.
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Here's a toast to a 300+ comments thread. 
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    There is already so much fighting. Why would you do that.. heh...
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    I was huge Tera fan through the beta weekends, mainly due to my obsession with all things anime. But after the GW2 beta weekend I ended up canceling my Tera pre order, sadly GW2 trumps Tera in everything and see no reason to spend that much time and money on Tera with GW2 coming and being B2P, I had high hopes for Tera but once again developers much like SWTOR went for the one trick pony approach to the standard themepark mmo...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Originally posted by Unlight

Why not just rename the article title, "How to summon trolls in ten words or less?".

u have my vote!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I am just going to say that the advertisements on this site for TERA that say "True. Action. Combat." just crack me up.

True action combat when compared to.... WoW? Sure, I'll give you that.

But a more accurate advertisement would be "TERA - combat is kind of fun? I mean, yes we know how ridiculously repetitive it is and how reliant you are on Tanks/Healers for anything but questing, unless you want to spend 20 minutes soloing a BAM... but hey you can dodge right? And if you are the worst FPS player in history you might miss a few attacks!"

But I imagine that would be far, far too long to fit on a website's banner.

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

Why not just rename the article title, "How to summon trolls in a wall of text?".

Fixed it. 

The true test to all this blabla on both sides will come down to when the games have matured a bit. Wasn't everyone foaming at the mouth over SWTOR?

I hope we visit the same topic, 3 months after the launch of each title. That's when the cracks start to show.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

WAHHHH-JUST SAW THE GRAPHICS ON THE ARTICLE AND MY HEAD JUST EXPLODED....

<.<

Originally posted by Muntz

Why not just rename the article title, "How to summon trolls in a wall of text?".

Fixed it. 

The article was well presented even colour-coded for those of a lesser attention span (I tend to fall into that category often).

This is a wall of text. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Aeolron

To rammur how is gw2 really different from any other game? It has tab targeting same old pve we are all used too, however Tera is the same as far as quests go but with BAMS and the dungeons with the true action combat Tera feels more different then your traditional mmo also Tera is NOT a grind fest, someone who actualy played tera wouldn't say that.

I played Tera a good amount and it IS a grind not to the extent of lineage 2 by any means but you are basically doing the same thing over and over... You either grind out BAMS or go from quest hub to quest hub getting various crappy quests to kill 10 of this and that. Just because combat is more fun doesn't change this, just makes it not as boring as a game like lineage 2

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Originally posted by Aeolron

I played Tera a good amount and it IS a grind not to the extent of lineage 2 by any means but you are basically doing the same thing over and over... You either grind out BAMS or go from quest hub to quest hub getting various crappy quests to kill 10 of this and that. Just because combat is more fun doesn't change this, just makes it not as boring as a game like lineage 2

From the article itself:

"Pretty much 80% if not more of my time in both games thus far has been spent in combat. "